[APP] Bingle Maps -[R]- 10 Mar 2011 -[U]- 04 Sep 2011 -[V]- 1.5

Search This thread

leonzhou

Jun 5, 2005
Sydney
codifying.wordperss.com
[size=+2]Bingle Maps[/size]
maps-icon.png

Bingle Maps is a free map application that aims at providing better user experience than the native Bing Maps that comes with Windows Phone 7 devices. The final target is to achieve a user experience that is equivalent or even better than the Google Maps app in iPhone and Android.

Current Version: 1.5
This version has several performance optimization. There's up to 30% performance boost under heavy operations in the maps screen.
This is the last WP 7.0 release of Bingle Maps. The next version will come in WP 7.1 flavour which supports many of the new features of Mango, such as multi-tasking.

Getting Bingle Maps

1. You can download the latest stable version here via Zune Desktop Software.

Using Bingle Maps

Bingle Maps is a full featured map application. In addition to many normal map features that you would expect, here are some tips that you may find useful:
  • Tap your current location to drop a pin.
  • Hold on anywhere else on the map to drop as many pins as you like.
  • Hold on a pin to move it.
  • When editing a pin, tap the name "my pin" on top to personalize it.
  • You can also search on the map just like the native Bing Maps.
  • Quickly navigate between pins, search results and route points via "Layers".
  • Send your pins to others via SMS or email.
  • Synchronize your pins via DropBox.
  • You can switch between Google Maps and Bing Maps.

Your feedback

Your feedbacks on Bingle Maps are extremely welcome. They are the most valuable source for future improvements of this app. Please don't be shy to leave comments. After all, this app is for you and you have your voice to shape it up.

There's also a poll in my app page to collect information about the most desirable feature for later versions.

Screenshot%2001.png
Screenshot%2002.png
Screenshot%2003.png
Screenshot%2004.png
Screenshot%2005.png
Screenshot%2006.png
Screenshot%2007.png

Source: http://codifying.wordpress.com/binglemaps/

[size=+1]Version History[/size]

1.5- 04 Sep 2011
  • Up to 30% performance improvement.
  • Google Maps auto suggestion for search and finding directions.

1.4- 25 Jun 2011
  • Fixed itinerary section in layers page.

1.3 - 21 Jun 2011
  • Routes and itineraries are now auto saved so that you don't loss them when you exit the app.
  • Walking mode support for finding directions.
  • Fixed a bug that prevents moving pins.

1.2 - 15 Jun 2011
  • Fixed the crash when you exit the app in the pin details page and come back.
  • Enabled bitmap cache for all push pins on the map. This allows hardware acceleration on all these pins and can significantly improve map pan performance when there are many pins in the visible area.

1.2 beta - 12 Jun 2011
  • Google Maps search and address lookup integration.
  • Address and geographical coordinates (longitude and latitude) in the pin details page are now copyable.
  • Search result now uses the business name instead of "my search".
  • The Layers page now has color tags to the left of each item.
  • Some memory management optimization, this fixed a few occasional runtime level crashes.
  • Other bug fixes according to the error reports received.
  • Error report now contains the page url of the exception, and again, thanks a million times for sending in the error reports :D

1.1 - 10 May 2011
  • The "me" button now auto follows your current location when you move.
  • Improved gesture detection to prevent accidental pin drop/lift.
  • Fixed a DropBox bug that may prevent users from syncing for the first time.
  • Improved location service accuracy.
  • Added settings for distance unit and prevent screen lock.
  • Some other bug fixes.

1.0 - 5 May 2011

• Google map source integration.
  • Enabled satellite view for both Bing map source and Google map source.
  • Fixed a bug that always fails the DropBox sync.
  • Fixed a bug that crashes the app when accessing to the edit page of a search result pin.
  • Re-written touch gesture logic to improve touch responsiveness.
  • Added a little search icon to the top right corner for search result pins – easier to distinguish from personal pins.
  • Added setting option to switch location service on and off.
  • Added about page.

0.9.4.1 - 26 Apr 2011

• Fixed a bug that the app warns for incompatible save data on start up even if there's no previously saved data on the phone.
  • Optimized memory consumption for communication between the phone and Bing Maps services.

0.9.4 - 25 Apr 2011

• Added DropBox synchronization for personal pins. Manual synchronization only for the moment. Please let me know if you think automatic sync is really necessary.
  • Added Layers page that allows list browsing and quick navigating between pins, search results, and itineraries.
  • Added the ability to send your pins and search results to others via SMS or email.
  • Added settings page where you can adjust a few things.
  • Bug fixes for possible crashes when getting current location and while dragging a pin (thanks to the ppl who sent in error reports :)).
  • Adjusted pin expanding behavior to improve some usage issues.

0.9.2 - 16 Mar 2011

• Added itinerary for routing. Look for the "car" icon on the bottom bar to bring up itinerary when you have a route on map. Tap on each itinerary item to move to the relevant location on map.
  • Added tap on current location to drop personal pin feature.
  • Added error reporting via email. When an unexpected error happens, the app asks if you want to report this error via email.
  • New app icon and splash screen.
  • New current location pin.
  • Updated behaviors for search and direction search screen for slightly better UI performance.
  • Re-organised code structure for less disk space usage, faster*start-up*time, and smaller app package size.
  • Some bug fixes.

0.9.1 - 10 Mar 2011

• First public beta release.

Last edited:

dkp1977

Oct 6, 2009
Stolberg
www.opinion-control.de
Looks very promising. I'm gonna give it a try. Oh, for your statistics: I prefer the satellite view. ;) But it's absolutely okay to not use it as long as this would prevent your app from working as intended.

[Edit]

I installed your app and played around with it some time. I like it a lot, even though for some reason it's not able to detect my work address (where I currently am). I'll try it again when I'm back home and see if it will detect this address correctly. The pin is at to correct spot though.

Last edited:

barrychon

Nov 3, 2005
Germantown
nice start! i suggest:

audio - turn by turn.

when you add Google, add the longitude option also

route details to be displayed as well

Thanks, and i look forward to your updates

Wind Dancer

Jun 21, 2007
Menomonie
Cool app

Very Cool. It seems very sensitive, maybe a little too much. Sometimes swiping will take you out of the program. Nice icons. Can you edit the 'me' icon?

Can't seem to edit a pin, tapping does nothing right now.
no pins are saved for me either.

Last edited:

leonzhou

Jun 5, 2005
Sydney
codifying.wordperss.com
Thanks for trying out guys and glad you find the app somewhat nice.

@dkp1977:
Thanks for finding this. I've done some testing last night and it seems this is a problem only on the HD2. Tried on HD2 and also the Omnia 7 and HTC Mozart. Current location was reported correctly on the other 2 all with GPS, mobile network and WiFi turned on. I'll definitely look into this issue.

@barrychon:
If route detail means turn-by-turn itinerary list for the route, it's definitely coming in the next version. Google Longitude is an interesting idea that I've never thought about. I should add this to my "To-Investigate" list now :D

@Wind Dancer:
I'm quite interested in the bugs that you encountered. Can you let me know which handset your are using? And if possible, how much disk space you still have?

About the 'me' pin, I don't like it either. That's one of the first changes I'm gonna bring in the next version, making the 'me' pin editable like the other pins and, you're right, I should give it a nice icon too :D

Last edited:

Perlnx

Dec 10, 2010
Bangkok
Is it possible to cache the offline map so that I will not have to load a new map every time to use the program.

This is just a suggestion by me.

I will try to use your app, It's look great.. Thank you.

leonzhou

Jun 5, 2005
Sydney
codifying.wordperss.com
Caching image is a nice idea, and I realize the native Bing Maps does this too. However the map control in the SDK does not support this feature yet. So there's no guarantee that this would come in a future version.

dkp1977

Oct 6, 2009
Stolberg
www.opinion-control.de
Thanks for trying out guys and glad you find the app somewhat nice.

@dkp1977:
Thanks for finding this. I've done some testing last night and it seems this is a problem only on the HD2. Tried on HD2 and also the Omnia 7 and HTC Mozart. Current location was reported correctly on the other 2 all with GPS, mobile network and WiFi turned on. I'll definitely look into this issue.

I tested the app again when I was back home. It named the address under the pin absolutely correct. oO Just the pin wasn't located where I was. It was like half a mile away from me. But I think that was just because I was in a building, so it had to depend on the mobile connection rather than GPS.

Anyways, your app is absolutely promising. I'm looking forward to future versions.

leonzhou

Jun 5, 2005
Sydney
codifying.wordperss.com
@Perlnx
When I was working on 0.9.2, I realized that the map control actually caches the images, for a very limited extent. When network reception is very low or completely unavailable, I can still open the app seeing images cached from last time. Although this is not always the case.

evolutionqy7

May 10, 2010
Dublin
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
Will you be submitting this to the marketplace once it reaches version 1.0?

Nice performance increase. But got the same error i used to get in previous version where you try to remove a pin. Then the pin keeps jumping around. And then you get an error. Which keeps repeating till the app crashes.

Last edited:

leonzhou

Jun 5, 2005
Sydney
codifying.wordperss.com
Thanks for testing out the app evolutionqy7. I intend to release this app to Marketplace when it reaches 1.0.

I haven't been able to reproduce your problem yet. But in 0.9.2 there should be a message asking you if you want to send an error report to me before the app crashes. Did you see the message?

evolutionqy7

May 10, 2010
Dublin
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
Yeah but when I press it, It just keeps giving me an error message. The only work around I found so far is to exit the app. Enter it again and it removes then. But if you don't then it just keeps crashing.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

Nice product..
When I try to create route using 2 boxes from Route menu, it didn't work, it always think the destination is the same with start or current location. Unless I set it from Search menu, then it works.

Suggestions:
-Sound on routing would be nice
-Update to socials on the Pin or current Route
-Route progressing with different color

Keep post the updates, I would like to be a tester :)

Cheers

Arif Budimartoyo
using Samsung Omnia 7

Last edited:

jgcaap

Sep 22, 2009
Porto
Love it. Everything bing maps has missing.

1) Try make it more costumizable such as if i want the + and - to zoom in and out, i prefer without that option
2) Laggy, not as fluid as bing maps, try make it better

Feedback of Optimus 7 :D

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+2]Bingle Maps[/size]
    maps-icon.png

Bingle Maps is a free map application that aims at providing better user experience than the native Bing Maps that comes with Windows Phone 7 devices. The final target is to achieve a user experience that is equivalent or even better than the Google Maps app in iPhone and Android.

Current Version: 1.5
    This version has several performance optimization. There's up to 30% performance boost under heavy operations in the maps screen.
    This is the last WP 7.0 release of Bingle Maps. The next version will come in WP 7.1 flavour which supports many of the new features of Mango, such as multi-tasking.

Getting Bingle Maps

1. You can download the latest stable version here via Zune Desktop Software.

Using Bingle Maps

Bingle Maps is a full featured map application. In addition to many normal map features that you would expect, here are some tips that you may find useful:
    • Tap your current location to drop a pin.
    • Hold on anywhere else on the map to drop as many pins as you like.
    • Hold on a pin to move it.
    • When editing a pin, tap the name "my pin" on top to personalize it.
    • You can also search on the map just like the native Bing Maps.
    • Quickly navigate between pins, search results and route points via "Layers".
    • Send your pins to others via SMS or email.
    • Synchronize your pins via DropBox.
    • You can switch between Google Maps and Bing Maps.

Your feedback

Your feedbacks on Bingle Maps are extremely welcome. They are the most valuable source for future improvements of this app. Please don't be shy to leave comments. After all, this app is for you and you have your voice to shape it up.

There's also a poll in my app page to collect information about the most desirable feature for later versions.

Screenshot%2001.png
    Screenshot%2002.png
    Screenshot%2003.png
    Screenshot%2004.png
    Screenshot%2005.png
    Screenshot%2006.png
    Screenshot%2007.png

Source: http://codifying.wordpress.com/binglemaps/

[size=+1]Version History[/size]

1.5- 04 Sep 2011
    • Up to 30% performance improvement.
    • Google Maps auto suggestion for search and finding directions.

1.4- 25 Jun 2011
    • Fixed itinerary section in layers page.

1.3 - 21 Jun 2011
    • Routes and itineraries are now auto saved so that you don't loss them when you exit the app.
    • Walking mode support for finding directions.
    • Fixed a bug that prevents moving pins.

1.2 - 15 Jun 2011
    • Fixed the crash when you exit the app in the pin details page and come back.
    • Enabled bitmap cache for all push pins on the map. This allows hardware acceleration on all these pins and can significantly improve map pan performance when there are many pins in the visible area.

1.2 beta - 12 Jun 2011
    • Google Maps search and address lookup integration.
    • Address and geographical coordinates (longitude and latitude) in the pin details page are now copyable.
    • Search result now uses the business name instead of "my search".
    • The Layers page now has color tags to the left of each item.
    • Some memory management optimization, this fixed a few occasional runtime level crashes.
    • Other bug fixes according to the error reports received.
    • Error report now contains the page url of the exception, and again, thanks a million times for sending in the error reports :D

1.1 - 10 May 2011
    • The "me" button now auto follows your current location when you move.
    • Improved gesture detection to prevent accidental pin drop/lift.
    • Fixed a DropBox bug that may prevent users from syncing for the first time.
    • Improved location service accuracy.
    • Added settings for distance unit and prevent screen lock.
    • Some other bug fixes.

1.0 - 5 May 2011

• Google map source integration.
    • Enabled satellite view for both Bing map source and Google map source.
    • Fixed a bug that always fails the DropBox sync.
    • Fixed a bug that crashes the app when accessing to the edit page of a search result pin.
    • Re-written touch gesture logic to improve touch responsiveness.
    • Added a little search icon to the top right corner for search result pins – easier to distinguish from personal pins.
    • Added setting option to switch location service on and off.
    • Added about page.

0.9.4.1 - 26 Apr 2011

• Fixed a bug that the app warns for incompatible save data on start up even if there's no previously saved data on the phone.
    • Optimized memory consumption for communication between the phone and Bing Maps services.

0.9.4 - 25 Apr 2011

• Added DropBox synchronization for personal pins. Manual synchronization only for the moment. Please let me know if you think automatic sync is really necessary.
    • Added Layers page that allows list browsing and quick navigating between pins, search results, and itineraries.
    • Added the ability to send your pins and search results to others via SMS or email.
    • Added settings page where you can adjust a few things.
    • Bug fixes for possible crashes when getting current location and while dragging a pin (thanks to the ppl who sent in error reports :)).
    • Adjusted pin expanding behavior to improve some usage issues.

0.9.2 - 16 Mar 2011

• Added itinerary for routing. Look for the "car" icon on the bottom bar to bring up itinerary when you have a route on map. Tap on each itinerary item to move to the relevant location on map.
    • Added tap on current location to drop personal pin feature.
    • Added error reporting via email. When an unexpected error happens, the app asks if you want to report this error via email.
    • New app icon and splash screen.
    • New current location pin.
    • Updated behaviors for search and direction search screen for slightly better UI performance.
    • Re-organised code structure for less disk space usage, faster*start-up*time, and smaller app package size.
    • Some bug fixes.

0.9.1 - 10 Mar 2011

• First public beta release.
    I know it's been a long long silence since my last update. It's mainly due to that I was switching job, moving house and changing car all around the same time, not to mention that I was totally out of reach to the Internet for a week.

I had some terribly busy and messy weeks, but I haven't forgotten my little map app. The next update is likely to be the last beta release before reaching Marketplace. It will bring app settings, map layers, and DropBox pin synchronization to the desk.

BTW, many thanks for everyone who has sent in the bug reports. They are extremely helpful for me to pinpoint some boundary cases.
    A user manual would be nice. I don't understand how to get to the "me" button.
    •The "me" button now auto follows your current location when you move.
    The "me" button is the first button in the toolbar at the bottom. If you bring up toolbar with the "..." to the right, you'll see that button has the "me" label. Pressing it makes the map always centres on your current location even while you are moving.

An in-app user manual/help page is in my todo list, but it may not come until some other high demanding features are implemented first.