[Q] safelink sim in android phone

Search This thread

gameplayerdo2

Dec 17, 2012
hello. has anyone ever been able to get the sim from a SAFE-LINK OBAMA PHONE to work in an unlocked android phone?
my phone is unlocked and i think i should be able to use any gsm sim card in it. but when i put the safelink sim in, it says please put in a valid sim card or something like that.
any help, or answers for this..

Last edited:

hjason7812

Jul 31, 2011
hello. has anyone ever been able to get the sim from a SAFE-LINK OBAMA PHONE to work in an unlocked android phone?
my phone is unlocked and i think i should be able to use any gsm sim card in it. but when i put the safelink sim in, it says please put in a valid sim card or something like that.

Hello, your simcard is bad...
You need to call safelink and have them seend you a new simcard...
When you get your new simcard in the mail you will install it and call safelink/tracfone and have them activate your phones simcard over the phone..

Reactions: gameplayerdo2

Purerawenergy

Jul 21, 2014
Miami
Not sure if anyone's following this thread anymore, but I did some research on this subject and actually spoke to Tracfone and SafeLink reps. This remains untested as of yet but I'm about to commit and buy a device to switch my friends phone from the cheesy old school one they provide. Though grateful as she may be, it is a technologically inferior phone and it's at least worth a try, because devices with the following specs are very cheap.
1. The replacement device MUST BE A TRACFONE.
2. It must have the same size Sim card slot as the one they provided initially, hers is a MINI SIM, so I assume they ALL are.
3. It must be a GSM device as they only provide service specific to their SIM card.
4. It MUST BE A NON-ANDROID device.
So, when I find a gsm Tracfone that's non-android, has a Mini-Sim card slotand doesn't have a touch screen, I'll buy it, call SafeLink to have her service transferred to that device and let you know what happens. According to the reps touch screen devices may or may not work as transferring service doesn't happen everyday. Wish me luck.

Sent from my N9510

Purerawenergy

Jul 21, 2014
Miami
I think they mean Android operating systems. So an older Windows or Samsung phone should work. I'm still looking through the ton of phones that are available and non-android before I commit to buying one. And am still searching databases on the subject just to make sure, but am about to move on it soon. Will post when I do and let you know if it works okay.

Tapatapped it.

xHilltopCowboyx

Jun 26, 2015
Edmonton. Alberta
SafeLink in Android

Its funny you mention this, I have been using my SafeLink Simcard in an unlocked Android for some time now. Although I am unable to send or recieve MMS messages or access the internet (unless I'm on my wifi) its better than the simple phones they give you. I agree that it is worth checking out though, those phones while simple have excellent battery life.

l_e_g_s

Jul 3, 2015
Hi

Its funny you mention this, I have been using my SafeLink Simcard in an unlocked Android for some time now. Although I am unable to send or recieve MMS messages or access the internet (unless I'm on my wifi) its better than the simple phones they give you. I agree that it is worth checking out though, those phones while simple have excellent battery life.

Can you tell me how you do this?

Reactions: lagoboss

gameplayerdo2

Dec 17, 2012
thanks for the response and info. i appreciate it. i hadn't been on here in quite some time do to my main computer CRASHING! I WAS DEVASTATED! NO PASSWORDS NO NOTHING FOR A WHILE. i cut my sim last night and tried it but no luck for me on that front.. maybe the cut is off a little or something. but my sim chip part is really tiny. i'm guessing nano and don't know that should be positioned.

rehabventures

Jan 17, 2016

Can you please share how you did it?
Thanks,

I'm not a obaMa fone (gov insurance phone) expert but I wouldnt understand how a sim card with service would even know its not in a certain phone. the phone not getting service is a thing by itself due to radios not matching service frequency and all that other stuff. Your sim card size is a different story, nano sim card devices need nano sim cards to get service. So being the obaMa Phone comes with the original sim card size Sim Card, one would have to first have a phone thats unlocked and takes the overgrown sim. If the sim is cut to a micro (via a sim cutter) I would say that should work in a micro sim unlocked device. MMS and Internet are fixed with proper APN configuration. Hope my insight helped. Will return with my own test shortly, hopefully.

EDiT: So I just took the obama phone simcard and put it in my unlocked china android and no go, didn't read the sim. However I put in another sim from net10 and realized it worked so I then took them out and noticed they are different sizes as far as the copper or bronzed color parts of the sim. So I think its about just having the right sim card for it. Not all sims are the same and since the obama phone uses its sim for memory as well, texts + contacts... I'm sure thats the major difference. smart sim vs dumb sim. I will be back as I wish to make this work now, lol. PEACE

Last edited:

ObamaAndroidNoSim

Feb 27, 2016
New Albany
I have helped 3 people sign up, all got androids

Did you verify this? If I get one, I'll test and report back.

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Free mobile app

I am the caregiver to handicapped and disabled people and I have helped 3 people sign up and signed myself up as well and 3 of us signed up with Q-link wireless and all got LG Androids and one wanted to sign up with Safe link and he got the smallest junk phone that he can't he can't even read the buttons because they are so small.
I will tell you that all the Q-link androids do not come with sim cards and say SD card unmounted or not present when trying to use certain features like the camera, which I would really like for that to work to take pictures of my patients while I still have them with me, but I cannot get Q-link to send me a sim they do not have them or just don't want to help anyone out. They will not even replace a phone that broke with-in 2 days of arrival for a patient. It had some red triangle on the front and was completely frozen, I had to go on you tube and look to see if anyone else had that problem with that phone and luckily someone had and made a video on how to fix it, So I fixed it for him for free. Always look to you tube or online for free help or videos on how to do it yourself before paying out of pocket, something they were going to charge him shipping and handling back to them and $20-$30 for another phone that probably would have been the same phone, just they new which 3 buttons to push in which order to reset the phone from their bad upgrade..... Seriously saved him $50 and weeks without a phone just by watching it on you tube and following the video, 15 minutes and he had his phone good as new and a smile to boot. They just wanted to squeeze more money put of a man that only had $38 left after paying his bills each month and his $126 a month the state gives him for food stamps. I hate when people take advantage of anyone but to take advantage of someone already very disadvantaged, they are scum, they deserve jail, they deserve to pay back all moneys paid to them for their "FREE PHONES" from the government. One day the safelink executives will be standing trial and I will be cheering, and praying that the jury box is full of people that their greed has touched or touched someone very close to them. I pray they pay for their crimes to the disabled and elderly. Please change from safelink. I am not saying go to Q-link, I am not their rep and they have issues as well, I heard from someone else that Assurance was a better company but I have never personally dealt with them so I cannot say, Please look up these company's and read the customer reviews, better yet, go a couple links down and look where they can't delete them or go to the better business bureau's website and look their. You don't want to be waiting months for your free phone that you may need for an emergency to save your own life or someone you love and you do not want bad service if you do indeed need your phone for an emergency, please do your research. If anyone has any insight without being a rep of one of these or any free phone company, please tell us your likes, dislikes or whatever experiences you have had with whatever company. Please include if you have talked to customer service at anytime, if so did they help? Did they speak English or any other language you needed to communicate? What kind of phone, anything wrong with it? If their was something defective how long did it take the company to fix? If they did fix it did they charge you for this fix to your FREE phone? Please fill in all our blanks because you know we all want to know and need to know. We need a good company with strong values that have a good product that functions correctly with enough minutes to make it through the month to make doctors appointments and social serve appointments. Any information would be great. Thank you all.

If you haven't fixed your camera yet read on :fingers-crossed:

I am the caregiver to handicapped and disabled people and I have helped 3 people sign up and signed myself up as well and 3 of us signed up with Q-link wireless and all got LG Androids and one wanted to sign up with Safe link and he got the smallest junk phone that he can't he can't even read the buttons because they are so small.
I will tell you that all the Q-link androids do not come with sim cards and say SD card unmounted or not present when trying to use certain features like the camera, which I would really like for that to work to take pictures of my patients while I still have them with me, but I cannot get Q-link to send me a sim they do not have them or just don't want to help anyone out. They will not even replace a phone that broke with-in 2 days of arrival for a patient. It had some red triangle on the front and was completely frozen, I had to go on you tube and look to see if anyone else had that problem with that phone and luckily someone had and made a video on how to fix it, So I fixed it for him for free. Always look to you tube or online for free help or videos on how to do it yourself before paying out of pocket, something they were going to charge him shipping and handling back to them and $20-$30 for another phone that probably would have been the same phone, just they new which 3 buttons to push in which order to reset the phone from their bad upgrade..... Seriously saved him $50 and weeks without a phone just by watching it on you tube and following the video, 15 minutes and he had his phone good as new and a smile to boot. They just wanted to squeeze more money put of a man that only had $38 left after paying his bills each month and his $126 a month the state gives him for food stamps. I hate when people take advantage of anyone but to take advantage of someone already very disadvantaged, they are scum, they deserve jail, they deserve to pay back all moneys paid to them for their "FREE PHONES" from the government. One day the safelink executives will be standing trial and I will be cheering, and praying that the jury box is full of people that their greed has touched or touched someone very close to them. I pray they pay for their crimes to the disabled and elderly. Please change from safelink. I am not saying go to Q-link, I am not their rep and they have issues as well, I heard from someone else that Assurance was a better company but I have never personally dealt with them so I cannot say, Please look up these company's and read the customer reviews, better yet, go a couple links down and look where they can't delete them or go to the better business bureau's website and look their. You don't want to be waiting months for your free phone that you may need for an emergency to save your own life or someone you love and you do not want bad service if you do indeed need your phone for an emergency, please do your research. If anyone has any insight without being a rep of one of these or any free phone company, please tell us your likes, dislikes or whatever experiences you have had with whatever company. Please include if you have talked to customer service at anytime, if so did they help? Did they speak English or any other language you needed to communicate? What kind of phone, anything wrong with it? If their was something defective how long did it take the company to fix? If they did fix it did they charge you for this fix to your FREE phone? Please fill in all our blanks because you know we all want to know and need to know. We need a good company with strong values that have a good product that functions correctly with enough minutes to make it through the month to make doctors appointments and social serve appointments. Any information would be great. Thank you all.
Hope you see this and you and the people you care for are able to start using your cameras!

Hopefully you figured this out by now, otherwise hopefully you still subscribe to this thread and maybe I can earn my first thanks. Anyway, your problem isn't the sim, your sim card and sd card are not the same thing. You need to get and install an SD micro memory card and your camera functions will start working as well as likely opening up some additional storage space for apps possibly and media files definitely! Surprised nobody else caught this, feeling pretty good about myself lol

Limpice

Jul 17, 2016
Yes you can use any smart phone (iphone-Galaxy-Verizon-AT&T) with your safelink services. There are a couple ways to do this.

(1) You can try moving the SIM card to a new phone if it fits and see if it picks up service. Some people have said this worked great for them. Fast & Easy

(2) You can go to TracFone web site and buy a SIM that will allow you to move a smart phone over to your Safelink service. It's called Bring Your Own Smartphone.

(3) Or you can buy the "Bring Your Own Smartphone" kit from your local Walmart for $10. But it only does AT&T - Verizon phones.

The phone needs to be compatible or unlocked GSM LTE or CDMALTE.

Reactions: gameplayerdo2

gameplayerdo2

Dec 17, 2012
I'm not a obaMa fone (gov insurance phone) expert but I wouldnt understand how a sim card with service would even know its not in a certain phone. the phone not getting service is a thing by itself due to radios not matching service frequency and all that other stuff. Your sim card size is a different story, nano sim card devices need nano sim cards to get service. So being the obaMa Phone comes with the original sim card size Sim Card, one would have to first have a phone thats unlocked and takes the overgrown sim. If the sim is cut to a micro (via a sim cutter) I would say that should work in a micro sim unlocked device. MMS and Internet are fixed with proper APN configuration. Hope my insight helped. Will return with my own test shortly, hopefully.

EDiT: So I just took the obama phone simcard and put it in my unlocked china android and no go, didn't read the sim. However I put in another sim from net10 and realized it worked so I then took them out and noticed they are different sizes as far as the copper or bronzed color parts of the sim. So I think its about just having the right sim card for it. Not all sims are the same and since the obama phone uses its sim for memory as well, texts + contacts... I'm sure thats the major difference. smart sim vs dumb sim. I will be back as I wish to make this work now, lol. PEACE
smart sim vs dumb sim. lol,,,,,,, that is literally hilarious! im crying over here.. lol
but, i think its the truth. the gov sims ive had had to be locked to a phone in some cases. almost like the metro pcs sims. they want you to attach it to a imei on the phone. but im scared to keep trying to mess with it as sometimes i have to end up getting a new sim and theyve messed up my phone number before... argh..

Frogster55

Feb 15, 2017
i am currently using a sim card from an alcatel one touch safe link phone in my sght399n samsung galaxy light with jellybean and it works fine it is a standard size sim card it is my under standing that as long as the phone is unlocked the sim card will work with the exception of the mini sim card you would have to find an tracphone that has a mini sim in it to use it in an unlocked phone that uses that type of sim card how ever i can verify that the standard size works in any unlocked phone that takes that size my brother has a trac phone sim in his lg stylus and my sister has one in her Samsung galaxy prime both run android operating systems and work fine my brother has marshmellow and my sister has lollipop 5.1.1

countryfish

Sep 6, 2017
my **** for what ever reason gets stolen about every 9 mos or so i have no idea what the hell is going on but trac fone and my self are getting real damn sick of it so if any body can tell these ****ing pieces of crap to stop that would be great this phone that i just had stolen got taken 2 weeks ago and i am getting really pissed about it now as well its like the ones who are doing it just simply know when and where to strike next i never tell any body where i am moving to when i move and then it happens again and again its like they have a tracking device on me 24/7 and each time it is a new person doing the deal so what gives who other than the cops do i tell each time i am in a different place in a different frame of mind its always one of those cheap safe link phones that mean nothing to any body other than to make a call its truly ridiculous because if they try to sell it they are going to prison for stealing gov property so really it did them no good to take the damn thing to start with this next time i get paid i will be getting a smart phone and i will just keep it in my pocket now take it you piece of **** you worth less piece of **** dog **** so if they get this next one i am going to the FBI because i then will be sure that there is more to this then just simply stealing my phone i already believe that i just need something to prove it so if it comes down to it i might have to invest in a new security cams for my place that would probably be more useful than getting a new phone but somehow you are suppose to keep up with the latest gear but i have never done that why start now for things i dont like no i wont but i do need a better phone than what i have now which is not much at all some ten yr old android that i got at krogers like 5 yrs ago for like 15 bucks now that same phone is 30 and not worth 7.50 it has text but i have been using this damn thing for about a week now and i cant figure out how it works

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SafeLink in Android

Hello, your simcard is bad...
    You need to call safelink and have them seend you a new simcard...
    When you get your new simcard in the mail you will install it and call safelink/tracfone and have them activate your phones simcard over the phone..
    Hi

Can you tell me how you do this?
    Yes you can use any smart phone (iphone-Galaxy-Verizon-AT&T) with your safelink services. There are a couple ways to do this.

(1) You can try moving the SIM card to a new phone if it fits and see if it picks up service. Some people have said this worked great for them. Fast & Easy

(2) You can go to TracFone web site and buy a SIM that will allow you to move a smart phone over to your Safelink service. It's called Bring Your Own Smartphone.

(3) Or you can buy the "Bring Your Own Smartphone" kit from your local Walmart for $10. But it only does AT&T - Verizon phones.

The phone needs to be compatible or unlocked GSM LTE or CDMALTE.