[Q] Nexus S bricked. Now what?

Search This thread

land.apfel

Jun 4, 2012
Hi,

I wanted to update my Nexus S from SlimBean 4.2.1 1.0 to 1.1 this morning.
I didn't do a full wipe which basically ruined my OS so I wanted to back it all up, full wipe and start all over again.

I had big problems with backing up as Titanium Backup either crashed or was stuck at it's initializing SQLite stage.
The phone process and System UI were crashing all the time if that matters.
So I tried to back it up through CWM which first failed while backing up the data partition, but it worked the second time.
I turned the phone off and since then it's not doing anything anymore.

Won't turn on, doesn't show the charging animation when plugging it in.

I tried to recover it several times.
It doesn't show up in Windows' Device Manager and UnBrickableRessurrectorR40 doesn't see it.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks a lot.
land.apfel

Last edited:

land.apfel

Jun 4, 2012
I would do it that way if it was possible. The Nexus won't do anything. Neither fastboot, nor Download nor recovery nor anything else.

The only thing it does is getting hot when being connected to AC.

But I'll try to do the UnbrickableMod and see if it helps.

land.apfel

tanclo

Did you make the hardware modification? I have to do it with mine to be recognized.

hardware modification is so difficult so as to be impossible for most people. it seems to be the only solution though. i only just bought my nexus s (for $150) second hand .. flashed cwm 10 on it and it bricked a few days later when i swapped a battery. i have disassembled the phone but the modification required needs minute tools and expertise beyond my ability. any suggestions? sending it in to experts in the USA will cost me nearly $100 and I'm afraid the diagnosis might mean I will lose that as well.

land.apfel

Jun 4, 2012
Without the hardware modification you can trash your Nexus S right now, as the chance that you recover it for some reason is probably 0.01%.
For doing the hardware modification you really need to know what you're doing. If you don't, look out for someone you know and who would do it for you.

After you did the UnbrickableMod, the chance that you can recover your phone is about 60% (maybe).
If you can't recover the phone, you need to exchange the eMMC chip as well.

I found eMMC chips in China for $19, but you still need to assemble it.
This is where I'm stuck at the moment.

land.apfel

Jun 4, 2012
If you haven't already applied the UnBrickableMod you should try that first.

If you have, I have no idea what to do.

land.apfel