AOSP Browser

Search This thread

iamikon

May 17, 2012
No root to install an apk :) also check out chrome beta if you likr chrome but hate the lag. Its much better. I also like lightning browser but it needs a bit more work really fast though.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
Sorry, I am a noob here. Do you need to root your device before you can install it?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

No root to install an apk :) also check out chrome beta if you likr chrome but hate the lag. Its much better. I also like lightning browser but it needs a bit more work really fast though.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Needs "settings > security > unknown sources" checked.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

sus4ntoh

Aug 13, 2012
Reactions: lKBZl

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
Hooray, it is working now.

First of all I didn't know I have to push it to /system/app. Once I've done that, I changed the permission rw-r--r-- then I kept manually trying to install it and it kept failing until I saw IKBZI responds :).

Rebooted my N7 and tadaaa the browser app shows up. Thank you so much both!

Glad you got it working, but he deserves a "thanks" as well. :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: lKBZl

sus4ntoh

Aug 13, 2012
My apologies. I could have sworn I clicked thanks on both posts but regardless thank you both again.

In regards to the browser, I like how fast it loads but it has force close a few times. Do you guys experience that?

Edit: I think I need to learn how to follow instructions. I renamed .odex file but didn't rename .apk one. Let's see if it is more stable now...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

lKBZl

Mar 23, 2012
Barcelona
My apologies. I could have sworn I clicked thanks on both posts but regardless thank you both again.

In regards to the browser, I like how fast it loads but it has force close a few times. Do you guys experience that?

Edit: I think I need to learn how to follow instructions. I renamed .odex file but didn't rename .apk one. Let's see if it is more stable now...

No worries, I won't die for a thanks, but it's always nice to see you help someone and he "thank you" :) About the browser force closing, im not experiecing and haven't experienced it. What I did was copy the browser.apk and 2 new files to system/app and changed the permissions (those files were the browserproxy ones, I replaced them with the original ones, but before made a copy of the original ones since when the OTA shows up, you need to restore them).

sus4ntoh

Aug 13, 2012
No worries, I won't die for a thanks, but it's always nice to see you help someone and he "thank you" :) About the browser force closing, im not experiecing and haven't experienced it. What I did was copy the browser.apk and 2 new files to system/app and changed the permissions (those files were the browserproxy ones, I replaced them with the original ones, but before made a copy of the original ones since when the OTA shows up, you need to restore them).

Hmm I still have the browser forces close on me. One thing that I noticed is you mentioned you copied the browser.apk and the two files but I only copy browser.apk. Would that possibly be the problem?

jediknight111

Feb 28, 2011
Hey dude if you can add SYNC ISSUES in red to the top of your post it'd be great. Just so people don't miss it and ask over and over again. :)

SOLUTION: BOOKMARK SYNC ISSUE

Fyi, for anyone who is having trouble getting sync working (sync is currently experiencing problems...), check to see whether you chose to encrypt your chrome bookmarks. The sync won't work if you did. If you go to google dashboard, find the chrome section, tell it to stop syncing, then go to chrome on your desktop, go to the menu, and sign in. This time when you get prompted about what you want to sync, leave it at default of encrypting passwords only. Fixed my aosp browser sync problem instantly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

had issues for ages,worked for me . cheers mate

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLUTION: BOOKMARK SYNC ISSUE

Fyi, for anyone who is having trouble getting sync working (sync is currently experiencing problems...), check to see whether you chose to encrypt your chrome bookmarks. The sync won't work if you did. If you go to google dashboard, find the chrome section, tell it to stop syncing, then go to chrome on your desktop, go to the menu, and sign in. This time when you get prompted about what you want to sync, leave it at default of encrypting passwords only. Fixed my aosp browser sync problem instantly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    push it to /system/app?
    And put the right permissions :good: Then reboot.
    Will we be able to load the AOSP browser on the Nexus 10? Google still cant seem to get the lag out of chrome. It makes the tablet look laggy from the reviews I've seen.
    Will we be able to load the AOSP browser on the Nexus 10? Google still cant seem to get the lag out of chrome. It makes the tablet look laggy from the reviews I've seen.

AOSP browser will still be available, when 4.2 is released to AOSP, will probably require root to install it. Chrome for Android is not open-source yet, so Google has to also release a Chromium AOSP browser.
    HERE

:cool:
    This hack works for Nexus 7 with jb 4.2:
    http://www.theandroidsoul.com/nexus-7-hack-install-aosp-android-browser-n7/

And I am pretty sure that it will work in Nexus 10 as well....
    :p