SIM Unlock LG G Pad 8.3 VK810 Verizon to AT&T

Search This thread

ttluke@msn.com

Jan 27, 2015
Sim unlock LG G Pad 8.3 Vk810 no service for tmobile?

As it seems you are comfortable messing with your APN settings that should be all you will need to do. The device is locked to specific wireless frequencies but luckily for you at &t uses the same LTE frequencies. You will need to have root access in order to write your APN settings though, check the forums for information on that. Finally make sure that the sim you have is compatible with your tablet data plan, and your APN settings should be as follows for mobile data only.

APN: BROADBAND
MCC: 310
MNC: 410

Help please !!! some how I insert my t-mobile sim in....the G Pad said... "Activation incomplete" ... I already set APNs for Tmobile already...... look like i have no service.. is it because my sim card is for phone but not tablet...? is the LG G Pad vk810 is unlock sim for any carriers?

MetalMilizia

Jan 31, 2012
Zelienople
Prepaid T-Mo Sim + LG G Pad 8.3 LTE

This could be the most fustrating device...at least for me.
I have a rooted G Pad I bought on Craiglist for 150. Works great. I got a TMo sim, applied the APN settings...NOTHING.

I have tried this on 4.2.2 & 4.4.2
I installed the radio switcher app, it says its not compatible with my device.

Is it because I'm rooted? I dunno where else to go, it will not pick up the network. I have tried 3 SIM cards (2 post pay & 1 pre pay)

Images

https://copy.com/0kMSQST3KcnL7yKX

Last edited:

jlczl

Oct 22, 2005
I have a rooted G Pad I bought on Craiglist for 150. Works great. I got a TMo sim, applied the APN settings...NOTHING.

Is it because I'm rooted? I dunno where else to go, it will not pick up the network. I have tried 3 SIM cards (2 post pay & 1 pre pay)

Images

Are the T-Mobile sim cards provisioned as tablet lines?

MetalMilizia

Jan 31, 2012
Zelienople

Images

While I knew the tablet did not support 3G, I didn't realize it didn't support 4G (HSPA+) either. Once I entered LTE coverage, it worked great.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

tselling

Dec 12, 2006
While I knew the tablet did not support 3G, I didn't realize it didn't support 4G (HSPA+) either. Once I entered LTE coverage, it worked great.

I found the same... works fine when there is T-Mobile LTE coverage, but T-Mobile coverage in New Hampshire is quite bad and LTE is even worse. But since I am using the free 200mb plan and it works in my town, I can't complain too much :)

Last edited:

sadude

Jan 1, 2013
Hi, so I have the same VK810 tablet...before updating to 4.4.2 the tablet was working great on t-mobile LTE however once I updated at first I didn't get any signal but once I inserted a verizon SIM into the machine and applied a few more updates that just released (i think) it then recognized my t-mobile SIM and showed me bars of service.

However even after updating the APN, I still get the activation incomplete message and when I turn wifi off, I get no service so I am stumped as well. I am considering swapping in a new SIM as maybe my SIM is too old or something

I am going to try the service menu item and re-check the APN settings. I even made sure to enable the roaming feature as the request of T-mobile tech support

theroblog.com

Mar 26, 2011
Having some issues under Lollipop 5.0.2...putting in active VZW SIM then Tmo SIM makes it work. But then later it loses signal til you put the VZW SIM back in and swap again.

Trying some new APN settings (which should make no difference) but appear to be working better. Held signal for about an hour, then I put it in airplane mode and then back out and LTE came back. I deleted the old APN and made a new one. I also chose roaming on for data and automatic network selection.

5.0.2 isn't fully backed as it will give you a menu for WCDMA, GSM etc but all the options are greyed so it's really pointless.

Will report back if APN consistently works.

aviseqdas

May 19, 2012
Minneapolis
For me , I used a friend Verizon Sim card and then swapped it out with my T-mobile SIM card and not it is working with my T-mobile SIM.

I am on 4.4.2 on the 24A firmwire.

When I bought the tab from someone on CL 2 months back I never had to use a Verizon SIM but there was a 30 mb update and since then it seems like Verizon did something to block out other SIM Cards.

Also noticed when you cant get a network with a non Verizon Sim card Network Settings was crashing all the the time saying android.network.com or something like that has stopped working.

sadude

Jan 1, 2013
I am not seeing the lollipop update for the vk810...is it blocked if you don't have the verizon sim?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I am not seeing the lollipop update for the vk810...is it blocked if you don't have the verizon sim?
Yes, use the 35A_08 5.0.2 KDZ in my signature with LG Flash Tool 2014. You can try Normal mode to save your data, but no guarantee that it won't be screwed up some without the full wipe of CSE mode. If you do CSE mode it also wipes Internal Storage so make sure and move anything you want to keep.

[VK810.4G] [altev] [ViKtory810ROM] official LG G Pad 8.3 Lollipop 35A_08 5.0.2
[VK810.4G] [altev] official LG G Pad 8.3 Lollipop 35A_08 5.0.2 DEBLOAT SCRIPTS and copies of all the files they remove
[VK810.4G] [altev] OTAs, .IMGs and KDZs, oh my

sadude

Jan 1, 2013
For me , I used a friend Verizon Sim card and then swapped it out with my T-mobile SIM card and not it is working with my T-mobile SIM.

I am on 4.4.2 on the 24A firmwire.

When I bought the tab from someone on CL 2 months back I never had to use a Verizon SIM but there was a 30 mb update and since then it seems like Verizon did something to block out other SIM Cards.

Also noticed when you cant get a network with a non Verizon Sim card Network Settings was crashing all the the time saying android.network.com or something like that has stopped working.

So yeah...yesterday I went and deleted the APN. I selected the reset to factory default option in the APN menu. I restarted and then added the APN and only input the name, apn and mmsc fields, hit save and instantly it worked in the wifi off mode.

Must have been a corrupt APN following my last update. Now on to updating to lollipop :)

xtermmin

Mar 27, 2011
Having trouble using my T-Mobile Tablet Data SIM (1GB) on a recently purchased VK810.

I went through the process of using the LG Flash Tool to update from 23A to 24A (no probs), used Stump Root to root (no probs), installed TWRP 2.7.0.1 and flashed the 2.7.0.2 update (no probs), and installed CleanRom 1.0 (wanted KK + heavy debloat).
I'm able to connect to Wifi fine, and the first time I inserted my TMO SIM it detected that it was a TMO connection. After setting up my APN, I was able to browse the Play store and verified I was going through my LTE connection by going to ipchicken.com, which displayed a TMO IP and hostname. However, after rebooting the tablet, it can no longer connect to LTE. LTE Discovery detects the Band 4 connection, but it's reporting the carrier as "unknown", but oddly the MCC/MNC is still being reported as 310-260.
Another reboot didn't fix it. Factory reset via TWRP didn't fix it. A format and reinstall of CleanRom via TWRP didn't fix it. Stuck the SIM in another device and it's able to connect fine, so it doesn't seem to be a SIM issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Decided to re-flash the 24A kdz (starting from scratch). After installing it I skipped through the setup, turned the tablet off, insert my TMO SIM, turned it back on, and it connected! Set up the APN and was able to browse the internet again.
Rebooted the tablet just to make sure it would work after reboots... and it didn't. :/ When I try to look at the network or hardware info in the About Tablet menu, com.android.phone crashes.

Odd that it connects the first time, but can't connect after reboots until re-flashed is very odd...

EDIT2: Flashed 35A just to see how LP would fare. Same exact thing happened. About Tablet -> Network/Hardware Info isn't crashing though, and Status is displaying my SIM's phone number, but everything is still coming back No Service.

EDIT3: Reflashed 24A, same deal. I tried adding, deleting, re-adding, resetting APNs to factory default, etc. and none of that solved the problem after the reboot.

Guess I received a faulty tablet :/

Last edited:

xtermmin

Mar 27, 2011

xtermmin

Mar 27, 2011
Success! Flashing the 4.2.2 modem seems to have done the trick. Wish I knew about this the first time, would have saved me an entire day of messing around with flashing lol!

Basically what I did:
0. Did not insert SIM card yet. On microSD card: aboot.img (aboot4.2.2), modem.img (modem4.2.2), CleanRom's ZIP, Stumproot.apk
1. Flash the 24A kdz with LG Flash Tool 2014
2. Boot device, use File Manager to install Stump Root.
3. Root Stump Root, brute force mode, reboot when done.
(3.5. I connected to wifi and installed SuperSU from the market, but I don't think it was necessary)
4. Enabled USB debugging, copied aboot.img to /sdcard/, followed TWRP install instructions.
5. Boot into recovery, flash v2.7.0.2 TWRP update, reboot into recovery.
(5.5. Again, not sure if it was required, but I wanted to get rid of any dead files from the stock install, so I used TWRP to format the device, then rebooted back into recovery.)
6. Installed CleanRom and copied modem.img to /sdcard/ via TWRP.
7. Booted into CleanRom, enabled USB debugging, flashed modem.img via these instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54584896&postcount=5
8. Power off, stuck in SIM card, powered on.
9. Set up TMO APN, connected fine, visiting ipchicken.com showed a TMO IP/hostname.
10. Powered off, waited 10 minutes, powered on again, still connecting!

Hopefully this'll be the end of my troubles with this tablet. I'll update this post if something goes wrong in the next few days.

blackbean92

Dec 27, 2014
I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to say sorry to hear about all the trouble and thanks for posting your experiences.

Hey all,
I recently updated my gpad to lollipop and now I have some issues with the LTE. Before the update (the tablet was on 4.4.2), I could use my t-mobile sim card and at&t sim card and the tablet will say 4G LTE. After the update, the tablet wont read any sim ?!... i tried to mannually input the APN of both AT&T and T-mobile, but it wont read no matter what. All i see was a white simcard symbol with a question mark and: "This is not a verizon sim card." IS there something wrong with the software or how can I manage to get it to work with my At&t lte again.

Please help me.

xtermmin

Mar 27, 2011
Hey all,
I recently updated my gpad to lollipop and now I have some issues with the LTE. Before the update (the tablet was on 4.4.2), I could use my t-mobile sim card and at&t sim card and the tablet will say 4G LTE. After the update, the tablet wont read any sim ?!... i tried to mannually input the APN of both AT&T and T-mobile, but it wont read no matter what. All i see was a white simcard symbol with a question mark and: "This is not a verizon sim card." IS there something wrong with the software or how can I manage to get it to work with my At&t lte again.

Please help me.

Read my above post. You need to root, install a custom recovery, and flash the 4.2.2 modems. (The root+recovery process is a bit different for lollipop, check related topics in this forum)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @roirraW "edor" ehT

Hi
    I am on stock rooted 35A

I am trying to unlock band 3 (more specifically 1800)for the device. My belief is that Verizon must have locked other bands when the device must support it at least.
    If I try going into hidden menu, (install a dialer (Exdialer) from play store to dial *#*#4636*#*#). I do get to the menu. Everything works except Tablet Information

However, I end up with an error "This application does not work on this device" when I try tablet information but behind in grayscale I can see LTE /GSM/ RADIO etc.

When I tried "METHOD FROM g2" , I can execute the command and it worked for me, however, I can not find LTE bands or any such settings.

Another thing that I found using Titanium that there also exists a file named as "Verizonhiddenmenu".

Do you know if that could be accessed ?

Also if you can see if it works on your Victory Rom (which I assume you must be using)

I have experience with both the LG Hidden Menu and the Verizon Hidden Menu on both the VK810 and the LG G3 (VS985).

On the VS985, com.lge.VerizonHiddenMenu.VzwLTETest.LTEBandSelection gives you the list of bands the phone supports, and allows you to turn on LTE Band 3 and Band 7.

That submenu does not exist on the VK810. Additionally, looking up the FCC documents for the VK810 show only Bands 4 and 13 being tested, whereas other bands were tested on the VS985.

The VK810 does not have GSM radios either. Under com.android.settings.SystemSelect, no matter what settings are set (Global, GSM/UTMS), the connection will not change and will still be connected to LTE only. Verified by using a T-Mobile SIM in the VK810. Able to connect to Band 4 LTE, but no matter how much I mess with the system settings, there is no way to turn on GSM.

Additionally, com.lge.hiddenmenu.kddi_only.NetworkMode allows me to select between various combinations of LTE, GSM, WCDMA, and CDMA, but the only options that actually stick are only the ones that include LTE. Setting to "LTE/GSM/WCDMA" sticks, but checking my connection via LTE Discovery and SignalCheck only show LTE connections.

Suffice to say, the VK810 only has LTE, and only on Bands 4 and 13.
    I have been searching and cant seem to find anything... :/
    I am trying to SIM Unlock my LG G Pad 8.3 Model VK810 that is Verizon and should come factory unlock I believe. I need this to be used on AT&T LTE which I have a sim card for and a tablet plan on the shared data plan.
    It is on 4.2.2 baseband is m9615a-cefwtazm
    I tried adding some ATT APN settings I found, but that did not help me. I think I need to Change it to GSM From CDMA somehow? I am not really sure. I can update and root if needed or whatever I need to do. I also have a samsung z3x box, but dont think it will work on the LG.
    Any help would really help me out! Thank you in advance.

As it seems you are comfortable messing with your APN settings that should be all you will need to do. The device is locked to specific wireless frequencies but luckily for you at &t uses the same LTE frequencies. You will need to have root access in order to write your APN settings though, check the forums for information on that. Finally make sure that the sim you have is compatible with your tablet data plan, and your APN settings should be as follows for mobile data only.

APN: BROADBAND
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    But that is not my problem. The tablet doesn't pick up AT&T signal

Easy...

Vk810 supports lte bands 4(aws) and 13 (700mhz block c), bands that Verizon uses

T-Mobile uses band 4 for lte mainly, will use band 2 (1900) and 12 (700 MHz block a) in the future as well. Vk810 will work on T-Mobile wherever tmobile has LTE right now (with band 4)

Att uses band 4, 2 (1900), 17(700mhz block b) and 30(2300mhz). Vk810 will only work on att if at uses band 4. If att only used band 2 in your area, your att phone (which supports band 2) will show LTE, but vk810 won't work

I don't know if there is a map showing which bands att uses in your area. There is a spectrum map showing who owns which band in which region, but no guarantee that att has active cell sites

http://specmap.sequence-omega.net
    I haven't updated and based on your experience I guess I won't be until someone makes sure it'll still be usable on other networks.

I have tried editing the biuld.prop. If anyone knows which system app brings up the hidden testing menu, I would be happy to replace it with the g2 one and see what happens
    I don't need GSM.. Bell (Canada) uses Band 4, LTE, but I cannot seem to get it to work

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Sma...G_Optimus_3D_for_the_Bell_Mobility_4G_network Those are the APN settings needed.Make sure the device is rooted or it won't let you change any of it.Good luck.