LG Android 4.0 upgrades Optimus 2X in Q2 2012

Search This thread

Kag

Sep 10, 2006
Anyone wanna guess the delay duration?

LG plans to begin upgrading its portfolio of Android handsets to Ice Cream Sandwich in the second quarter of next year, the company has just announced. Among the first phones to benefit from Android 4.0 will be the Optimus 2X, which launched as the world's first dual-core smartphone earlier this year, the recent Optimus LTE, and the upcoming Prada Phone. They'll be followed by the Optimus 3D, Optimus Black, Optimus Big, and a couple of other handsets in Q3 of 2012. Not exactly the most aggressive rollout roadmap in the world, but we'd rather see the ICS upgrade happen later than never.

Importantly, LG continues to make no mention of the American variants of these phones — such as the T-Mobile G2x or the AT&T Thrill 4G and Nitro HD — what their fate will be remains to be seen.

via http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/26/2661466/lg-android-4-upgrade-schedule

tablighs

Mar 1, 2011
Nice.. hopefully LG won't just keep pushing the dates further as they did for gingerbread.

eraldo

Feb 15, 2010
London
Good news, screw the american versions, they need to be updated by their carriers anyway.

Just wish nvidia would released their crap so the dev community can make a decent ICS release NOAW.

Reactions: Gulasch-Hanuta

FaceTheSlayer

Apr 14, 2011
From LG Mobile facebook page:
During the second quarter of 2012 upgrades will begin for the following smartphone models: the LG Optimus LTE, Prada phone by LG 3.0, the LG Optimus 2X, the LG Optimus Sol, the LG my Touch Q and the LG Eclipse. These upgrades will be followed by upgrades for the following smartphone models during the third quarter of 2012: the LG Optimus 3D, the LG Optimus Black, the LG Optimus Big, the LG Optimus Q2 and the LG Optimus EX.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/lg-mobile/ice-cream-sandwich-ics-os-upgrade-schedule/334420639902596

tomasiqu

Sep 4, 2011
I wonder about delay... Maybe we should bet?
I really hope we will receive it, but till that time I think CM with ICS will be ready.

el_charlie

Jan 19, 2010
Maracaibo
Q2 ends in late june, maybe that's when we'll get it.

LG won't release ICS on early april. That's a fact.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda premium

tomasiqu

Sep 4, 2011
Maybe yes, maybe now. It can be the same situation as with Gingerbread. CM was provided before the official release.

vitaminxero

Apr 11, 2011
San Francisco, California
The situation might be worse since we need LG for the camera and Nvidia source (or binaries that help... not 100% sure on that). An LG leaked build may help to a very limited extent. Until then it's just a waiting game.

Supupa

Nov 13, 2010
LG announced in march 2011 that the gingerbread update will come "soon".

I guess you're just referring to the post in the nvidia forum? There's no timeframe unfortunateley.

ahahaa! good one, i know what you mean. :D

but a month back Nvidia officially announced that they would release their codes in the first quarter so they can be more dev friendly, and help get ics to tegra devices...

D

Deleted member 4238670

Wont the next version of android be announced by then?:confused:

Medizinmann

Nov 14, 2011
Hello!

Yes, Jelly Bean will be most probably out by then and the next generation Google phone with it...:)

I am confident that the Cyanogenmod Team will be faster than LG and ICS/CM9 will be released by Q2/2012 :)
I am also sure that LG will release its ICS build no earlier than late Q3 to Q4/2012 – but I would be very happy if I am wrong and LG can pull its stuff together and get ICS out as announced…:rolleyes:;)

But all of this is of course IMHO. ;):D

droweed

Nov 15, 2010
that's very cute, I'll expect the ics update by December again

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

vitaminxero

Apr 11, 2011
San Francisco, California
nvidia is going to release their source soon.

The source for their development platforms (e.g. Tegra 2's Harmony and Ventana along with whatever else they came up with.). O2X has slightly different hardware but this will be a lot better than the nothing Nvidia has provided so far. Though, given the lack of camera, even on OMAP platforms (TI released source), it looks like camera and maybe a few other things could ultimately be up to LG. Let's hope they leak something early. =P

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good news, screw the american versions, they need to be updated by their carriers anyway.

Just wish nvidia would released their crap so the dev community can make a decent ICS release NOAW.
    I guess by the end of nov 2012 we should hav it :0

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA App