[Android on Omnia II-GTI8000] - [ROM] - [PORTING] - [FROYO 2.2.2] TWISTER v.2 ROM

Search This thread

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
Twister Team (Frenkie99999999&Spiderman1961) is glad to present:

TWISTER 2

Credits to:
almar (Marc)
bsbsbs (Sándor)
Egon
phj (János)
Voyteckst
Frenkie99999999999
kukafei
Linuxsigh
Argentinos

ROM is based on Android 2.2.2 Froyo. I applied code tweaks and improvements to make it more performant and smooth​
ROM is free from malfunctions: the system is smooth; any lag will be due only with apps installation not fully compatible or incorrect installation procedure
Android on OMNIAII is a safe bet won thanks to the efforts of many who have worked tirelessly and pure passion: to complain about minor inconveniences is misplaced. You can not expect perfection from our terminal that even natives Android devices have​

Changelog:
General improvements:
-New Bootanimation by Twister Team​
-Trasparent Status Bar​
-JelMiBean Theme: new icons, new wallpaper, new buttons, new battery iconsa and so on...​
-Locked Launcher in memory by script (disable option in Spicagenmod settings and in launcher settings​
-New themed System Apps​
-Playstore updated v 4.1.10​
-Quick Pick update v. 2.9.4​
-AdAway: no ads​
-Camcorder shorthcut​
-FlashPlayer​
-Miui Music Player​
-MxPlayer​
-Toggle2G to save battery drain​
-GApps for CM6 (CarHome, Facebook, Gmail, Latitude, Luoghi, Maps, Navigatore, Genie Widget, GoogleSearch, VoiceSearch, Talk, Twitter)​
-Bravia Engine: increased video sharpness​
-Xloud Engine: increase loud sound and virtual effects​
-New progress bar colour​
-Jelly Bean font​
-New Kernel: 2.6.32.9 root@kukafei​
-New Sound system​
-New Dialer​
-New and hacked MMS.apk: no automatic mms conversion after 4 sms; recipients up 200​

Code improvements and Tweaks:
-Supercharged with adapted zeppellinrox script​
-Improved real Mutitasking with "Low Memory killer balanced script": DON'T USE TASK MANAGER TO KILL APP (ONLY IF REALLY NECESSARY)​
-Improved automatic detailing databases on boot: better speed and smoothness​
-Improved Zipalignin and fixpermission apps on boot: no FC, better battery drain and ram​
-Build.prop modified​
-Tweak battery for better drain​
-Improved VM Tweaks​
-Improved read ahead cache up 2048 kb: better speed access data​
-Cache flushing on boot​
-Better scrolling and touchscreen responsiveness​
-Disabled Zram compression: not friendly for our device​
-Tweaks for better smoothness​
-Network data tweaks for fastest 3G​
-Best Dialer responsiveness: fix delays and black screen issue​
-Improved photo and video recording​
-Kernel tweaks: better I/O and governor settings without random reboot​
-Ext4 smart mounting (noatime, disable barrier etc): better speed disk access​
-Sysctl tweaks: minor lags​
-Automatic screen state scaling​
-Better Network Throughput​
-GPS issue (only for any users): no thirdy part apps for fix! First fix on my moving car: 3 min. Other fix few seconds​
-Video Recording A/V Sync for CM6 removed: crashing video recording​
-Both Cameras and VideoCameras working: added VideoCamera shortcut. Use it for videocamera and your apps don't crash​

Credits to:
Moonguy75
Costinuz32
knzo
ImbaWind
zeppellinrox

What's working:
-Audio​
-Receiving and making calls​
-GPS​
-Compass​
-Proximity sensor​
-Wifi​
-Bluetooth​
-USB mass storage​
-Cameras​
Partially working:
-Reset data​
Not working
-Update Binary Superuser​
-Theter wifi​

DOWNLOAD LINK​

After download unzip with 7zip: you will have a folder with all necessary for installation: rom, kernel, haret.exe, startup.txt...

ROM IS SET ON ITALIAN LANGUAGE: TO CHANGE IT GO TO "IMPOSTAZIONI/LINGUA E TASTIERA" AND CHOOSE YOUR LANGUAGE

Last edited:

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
Installation instructions

First some considerations:

A. Porting Android on Omnia (born for WinMobile 6.5) is a pure gamble: to complain of minor malfunctions, claiming a perfection that there is not even on the native device is totally out of place.
It's part of game: in almost all cases, these small hitches, which does not at all preclude the daily use of the terminal, are solved with a simple reboot.
B. Please follow the installation procedure to the letter, without neglecting any detail, otherwise block the installation or malfunction with lag and other troubles of the terminal.
C. The installation must be done with telephone SIM and microSD inserted!!!!!
D. It is recommended to install remaining disconnected from the Internet and with the antivirus disabled

INSTALLATION STEPS FOR OMNIAII WITH2GB OF INTERNAL MEMORY​

1. Connect device to PC through USB under WinMobile ("Settings Samsung / Usb Connection / "My Storage")
2. Open MiniToolPartition wizard
3. Delete all partitions in "My Storage".
4. Create three new partitions:
5. FIRST PARTITION: FAT32, LOGICAL, 500mb, label "DISK"
6. SECOND PARTITION: EXT4, LOGICAL, 1250mb, label "disk"
7. THIRD PARTITION: LINUX SWAP, LOGICAL, 200MB, no label

PARTITIONS FOR USERS WITH OMNIA 8GB (Credits to Lagunostrum)​
FIRST PARTITION: 6390 Gb, FAT32, LOGICAL, label "DISK"
SECOND PARTITION: 1250 Mb, EXT4, LOGICAL, label "disk"
THIRD PARTITION: 196 Mb, LINUX SWAP, LOGICAL, no label

IMPORTANT: For users with Omnia 8Gb, you must change the startup.txt​
At line [Set CMDLINE "rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk1p2 init = / init"] change as follows:
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk1p6 init = / init"

DO NOT create Linux partitions SWAP MORE 'BIG 200 Mb,
ACCORDING TO MANY DEVELOPERS, SUCH DIMENSIONS SLOW THE DEVICE​

8. Close MiniTool Partition Wizard
9. Start Ubuntu in Virtual Machine (those who have not can disconnect the phone from Windows and, after running Ubuntu, can connect with the procedure described below)
10. Click on the menu "Virtual Machine", select "Removable devices", select GTI8000, select "Connect" to connect Omnia to Ubuntu
11. Open "Gparted" or other utility Ubuntu to partition the disk
12. Right-click on "ext4" and "remove" the partition, right-click again to "ext4" and choose "Format as ext4" (with tests carried out, it is more snappy rom installed on a formatted partition from Ubuntu in "ext4 "with respect to a partition" ext4 "formatted by MiniTool)
13. Right-click on "linux-swap" and format as "linux-swap" (for the same reason as above)
14. Close "Gparted"
15. Click on the menu "Virtual machine / Removable devices / Disconnect" to disconnect and reconnect the phone automatically from Ubuntu to Windows (do not disconnect the USB cable!!!!)
16. Close Ubuntu
17. Set the date on the PC on September 2011 (if it does not work in September 2010)
18. Open Image For Windows and choose "Restore (Normal)"
19. Navigate to the folder where you saved the ROM and select it
20. Click "Next" and flag the ROM to be installed
21. Click again on "Next" and choose where to install the ROM: Of course it will be the EXT4 partition (Linux native)("disk"), 1250 Mb created with MiniTool and reformatted under Ubuntu
22. Click "Next" and continue until screen will warn you that all data on the target partition will be deleted and be replaced by those of the ROM: click OK and continue
23. On next screen, leave options settings as you find them
24. On next screen click "Start" and start the procedure.
25. After installation, close Image For Windows and set time PC correctly.

Copy the files "haret.exe", "startup.txt" and "zImage" in DISK. (ie the root of the "My storage" WinMobile).
These files must remain in DISK (ie the root of the "My storage" WinMobile).

26. From WinMobile, with a File Manager, navigate to "haret.exe" and click it to start Android.
27. After first boot of Android, DO NOT USE THE TELEPHONE, wait for SO fully started and RESTART the phone
At the end of the second boot you can enjoy Android on OMNIAII
28. Set Playstore on "do not automatically update applications"!!!!!!!

Choose carefully what to update because recent apps are the most greedy of ram (block the phone) and they bring very little improvement.

ESPECIALLY DO NOT UPDATE GAPPS (CarHome, Facebook, Gmail, Latitude, Places, Maps, Navigation, Genie Widget, GoogleSearch, VoiceSearch, Talk, Twitter), otherwise they will not be opened.WHILE I WRITE I HAVE JUST TESTED FACEBOOK: slow on GALAXY ADVANCE OF MY WIFE, but splinter on my old Omnia

Last edited:

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
Frequently Asked Question

During installation of our Rom you can present difficulties. Often they are the same and identical are solutions.
For this reason I group here most common issues with most appropriate solutions: all tested and working.
PLEASE READ THESE LINES CAREFULLY BEFORE POST QUESTIONS THAT HAVE ALREADY HERE 'FOUND REPLY

Installation Tweaks

1. Why 'install in "My Storage"?
'Cause it's 5 times more' fast!
Here's how: Copy files haret.exe, startup.txt and zImage in the Root of My Storage, the 2-Gb or 8 Gb.

2. Can I install in external MicroSD?
Recently many users have done: must comply with these conditions:
-Microsd must be at least class 10
File startup.txt-line [Set CMDLINE "rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk1p6 init = / init"] should be changed as follows: Set CMDLINE "rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk0p2 init = / init"
-File haret.exe, startup.txt and zImage must be copied on the external MicroSD

3. WinMobile is cleared or noised by Android installation?
Android does not cause, any "noise" to the Windows Mobile operating system installed natively on the phone. It will continue to work regularly: in fact we will have a phone with two operating systems fully functional.

4. What should I do just installed Android?
As soon as the phone has started completely must restart your phone to avoid any problems

5. Why on first boot phone remains locked on Android on Omnia II loading?
Possible answers:

a) Can 'have damaged some files in decompression: REINSTALL ALWAYS REPLACE ON ANY FAILURE
b) There may be some corrupt files in download: trying to re-download rom.
c) There may be a problem on disk address. The kernel has booted, the phone can not find the operating system and crashes.
In this case, proceed as follows:
-write disk address ext4 under Ubuntu ("disk") and change startup.txt (ONLY WITH NOTEPAD + +!!):
for example, if ext4 partition under Ubuntu is dev/sdb6 change the value: root = / dev/mmcblk1p6 init = / init "boot

6. If Ubuntu identifies the ext4 partition (disk) as / dev/sdc6 "(and not / dev/sdb6)" What should I do?
Open the file startup.txt and edit it as the "code" that appears in the format window under ubuntu:
change the last line of the file Startup set CMDLINE "rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk1p6 init = / init" boot ----> mmcblk2p6.

7. What is the file startup.txt?
The file contains the parameters address of Android system.
The line we are interested in is the following: "Set CMDLINE" rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk1p6 init = / init "

"1" is number disc (if you have inserted a microSD the value must be "1" if it is not inserted must be "0").
"6" is number partition "disk" (in most cases, by partitioning "disk" with MiniTool, is assigned the number 6 to the Linux partition).

If after installation, the phone hangs on Android on Omnia II Loading, 99% one or both of the values mentioned above are incorrect.
In most cases, if you install with microSD inserted, values to be inserted are "mmcblk1p6."
If problems occur the reason is constituted by 'physical address that has been assigned to the partition "disk", in which case we need to understand which the partition number your computer has assigned to "disk". To do this, just to see, when you format under ubuntu, on the top bar of the window formatting: here a code appears "sdbX" where X is the partition number: record it and edit it in the line of reported

8. For other installations have to repartition and format all over again?
No: once done partitioning procedure, next time that you install a future release of the rom, just install the image. TBI, with "ImageForWindows", without touching the partitions.

9. How can I replace the kernel?
Just copy the zImage in "My Storage" and "Storage", and start Android.

10. Why Image for Windows does not work?
You must set date pc on September 2011 (or 2010)

11. To install any update of Rom need to do the whole process all over again or just replace some files?
It should make the whole process all over again.
The kernel can be replaced individually, but the modded if copied at a later time inhibit the free wi-fi. You should clean the cache, delete a file .conf and anyway rom would be unstable.

12. My Omnia 8GB is: how should be large partitions?
Configuration tested and running on Omnia 8Gb (Credits to Lagunostrum):

1) 1st Partition FAT32, 6390 mb, Logical
2) 2nd partition 1250 mb EXT4, Logical
3) 3rd Linux swap partition 196 Logical

13. Can I increase size of Linux swap partition?
Many developers recommend not to exceed a size of 250 MB for partition in question: that instead of increasing the performance to slow down greatly.

14. Why I do not read anymore the external microSD?
For those who have problems with the microSD: Make sure that the SD is working and that is formatted Fat32 Primary and Active. use SDFormatter

15. How can I access the phone as a USB memory?
You have to go in Settings \ Applications \ Development and remove the flag on Debug USB.

16. Why, despite having removed flag on usb debugging phone is not recognized as USB storage?
-First of all, try restarting your computer and phone.
- If this is not enough the solution is the following:
under Windows, you can go to the "Computer Management", then "Disk Management" and there if Android appears without a letter assigned, assign one with the right button, "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and you're done
-Check if you are corrupt drivers of the phone and possibly reinstall

17. Why phone does not wake up after the screen is turned off?
Often it is sufficient to press the awakening and even if the screen does not light up, wait a few more seconds and everything will fall into place.

18. How does hardware buttons work?
HARDWARE KEYS WORKS LIKE ON WINDOWS MOBILE

19. Satellites Fix needs thirdy part application?
No, works perfectly by itself: the first fix is slow (takes several minutes), the following are faster (a few seconds)

20. Why the time is not exact and is always back an hour?
This problem can be solved permanently under WinMobile setting time zone of London / Dublin (with Italian correct time) and under Android time will be ok

21. If one day I do not want more android how do I delete it and only have windows?
Just delete the ext4 partition and expand the fat32 partition to the whole disk.

21. How should I set the Bluetooth?
1) make visible the device
2) under the heading "discoverable duration" set "infinite"
3) under "discoverable timeout" set "2 minute"
4) searches for available devices and match omnia

Last edited:

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
System tweaks

System tweaks​

1. How can I "paint" notifications pull-down menu in the top bar?
Go to SpicagenMod settingS \ Interface \ Notification colors and choose a color for each entry in the "Statusbar notifications" and "Items notification"; "Notification bar" lets you make additional changes to the bar and colors.

2. How can I save battery power?
-from "System Settings" control which apps consume more battery and block them or set them so they suck less
-Then check with the app CPUSpy if the phone goes into DeepSleep: if there is there any app that runs in the background and consumes. Locate and disable
-use GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth only when needed, otherwise disable
-use 2G instead, switch to 3G only for data connections: it is preinstalled in the ROM Toggle2G that automatically manages the switch (but remember to disable it because otherwise you will not have data connection)

3. How do I see what's running in the background?
Go to Settings, Applications, Manage applications and check what apps are running, for safety always under applications, go to the Services running and check which services are run in the background

4. How can I speed up the execution of the app?
With the pro version of Titanium Pro go to / batch operations / manipulates data / activating "convert DB mode Wal" click it: system is much more responsive.

5. How can I save on the consumption of Ram?
-Not too heavy with both the home, with too many widgets, and the device with too many apps. The phone will have greater reactivity '.

6. How can I make a Nandroid Backup, because here we can not get into Recovery Mode?
With ImageForWindows, you can create a backup image of the Rom, crystallize it with all the settings and installed app. Simply make the backup procedure (full)

7. How to replace bootanimation?
With a file explorer with root access like Root Explorer go to / system / media and replace the bootanimation.zip file.
Or just remove the file, and we'll start the classic writing android that lights up.

9. How do I disable the apps that start up automatically?
Download app from the Play Store that makes access to the list of apps that start automatically on boot.
CAREFUL DO NOT DISABLE APPS SYSTEM, (ie text messages, phone, market, 'Android system, ... otherwise the system becomes unstable!)

Last edited:

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
System maintenance

SYSTEM MAINTENANCE​

The following commands are all to be understood as to perform on a window Terminal Emulator pre-installed in ROM

To get more in-depth ram in case of remarkable system slowdowns type:
su (enter)
flush (enter)

-To compact database for faster access to the data type:
su (enter)
vac (enter)

-To realign app (especially if you installed new ones) in order to save on battery drain and ram type:
su (enter)
zepalign (enter)

-To Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache (often used to prevent various malfunctions of the system) type:
su (enter)
sclean (enter)

-To make a Fix permission (needed to resolve issues of app Force Close) enter:
su (enter)
fixfc (enter)

System reboot, after typing these commands, in many cases it will be very, very, very long: do not worry if the bootanimation runs for a long time and the system does not seem to restart.
And 'quite normal. Android is performing the routines start from scratch without reading the previous (now deleted because it caused errors) and eventually will boot more agile than before.

Last edited:

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
Ubuntu installation method

UBUNTU METHOD​
INSTALLATION STEPS FOR OMNIAII WITH 2GB OF INTERNAL MEMORY
LINK TO ILLUSTRATED INSTALLATION GUIDE​

1. 1. Connect device to the PC via USB under WinMobile ("Settings Samsung / Usb Connection / "My Storage")
3. Delete all partitions in "My Storage" of phone.
4. Create three new partitions
5. FIRST PARTITION: FAT32, LOGICAL, 500mb, label “DISK”
6. SECOND PARTITION: EXT4, LOGICAL, 1250mb, label “disk”
PARTITIONS FOR USERS WITH OMNIA 8GB (Credits to Lagunostrum)
IMPORTANT: For users with Omnia 8Gb, you must change the startup.txt
At line [Set CMDLINE "rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk1p2 init = / init"] change as follows:
DO NOT CREATE LINUX PARTITIONS SWAP MORE 'BIG 200 Mb, ACCORDING TO MANY DEVELOPERS, SUCH DIMENSIONS GREATLY SLOW THE DEVICE​
9. Open Ubuntu
10. Click on "Virtual Machine", select "Removable devices", select "GTI8000", select "Connect" to connect 1Omnia to Ubuntu: note "DISK" and "disk" that you have created with MiniTool
11. Open “Gparted” or other Ubuntu utility to partition disks
12. Right-click on "ext4" and "remove" partition, right-tap again to "ext4" and choose "Format as ext4" (with tests carried out, it is more snappy rom installed on a formatted partition from Ubuntu in "ext4 "with respect to a partition" ext4 "formatted by MiniTool)
13. Right-click on "linux-swap" and format as "linux-swap" (for same reason as above)
14. Close “Gparted
15. Open Terminal window:
16. Write following command line: sudo cp /media/DISK/ext4.tar.gz /media/disk/
17. Press enter and wait for operation completion (blinking cursor)
18. Write following command line: cd /media/disk/
19. Press enter
20. Write following command line: sudo tar xzvf ext4.tar.gz -C /media/disk
21. Press enter. Start files decompressing on partition ext4. Wait for operation completion (blinking cursor)
22. Write following command line: sudo rm ext4.tar.gz
23. Press enter.
24. Write following command line: sudo chmod 777 /media/disk/
25. Click on "Virtual machine / Removable devices / Disconnect" to disconnect and reconnect phone automatically from Ubuntu to Windows (do not disconnect USB cable!!!!)
26. Copy files "haret.exe", "startup.txt" and "zImage" in DISK. (ie the root of "Memory personal" WinMobile).
These files MUST remain in DISK (ie the root of the "My Storage" WinMobile). Disconnect device from Pc
27. From WinMobile, with a File Manager, navigate to "haret.exe" and click on it to start Android.
28. After the first launch of Android, DO NOT USE TELEPHONE, wait for the S.O. it is fully started and RESTART phone

Link for download ROM -----------------------------------------------------------------> POST 7​

Last edited:
Reactions: iHedG and sepehrmrx

spkraul

Nov 4, 2012
Naxos
Congratulations !!!

Yes, you finally made it. version2 is much better that version 1. almost no bugs. And it is much faster than frenkiedroid. especially your memory performance is excellent. i will install it and try to make it even more faster !!!!
one question. how to activate front camera ? i haven't managed to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sv1cqr

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
Yes, you finally made it. version2 is much better that version 1. almost no bugs. And it is much faster than frenkiedroid. especially your memory performance is excellent. i will install it and try to make it even more faster !!!!
one question. how to activate front camera ? i haven't managed to do it.

Thanks!
It will be appreciated your suggestions about how make it even more faster...
About front camera no news for now: it will be necessary kernel modification...

Reactions: sv1cqr

spkraul

Nov 4, 2012
Naxos
Thanks!
It will be appreciated your suggestions about how make it even more faster...
About front camera no news for now: it will be necessary kernel modification...

You wrote
"Both Cameras and VideoCameras working"
so i thought you meant back and front camera....

ok my suggestions are

• check my ROM's build.prop for code optimizations
  • also experiment with dalvik cache settings. it can make the ROM a lot faster
  • remove some services always running (ex is voice dialer that very few people use and makes system slower
  • remove unnecessary apps (example livewallpapers, geniewidget etc)
  • you can also set cpu performance settings as default without big loss on battery time, but with big affect on phone's responsiveness
  • remove some files on the system that make it heavier to load and handle (ex fewer ringtones to choose from ....)
  • uninstall downloaded apps from manage applications manu, clean /data/dalvik cache using root explorer, reboot system and install downloaded apps again
  • my recommendation is not to install optional apps on system as many users ignore how to erase them when they do not need them (ex if somebody does not use twitter or facebook doesn't need them
  • for faster gps i have discovered this solution try it and tell me the results
  • the biggest improvement you can see is by replacing the phone's framework with miui's one. you can find miui based on CM6. i know it looks a little chindish but very fast. you just port it to our ROM, and since working just keep it's engine (heart) and replace it's apps with the ones we prefer. MIUI gives us the fastest bases on android
  • to measure if your ROM improvements are working or not use antutu benchmark 2.5 (bugless working on my android 2.2.2), antutu cpu master 2.5.2 and benchmark and tuning from android market

bytheway. with my ROM installed on sd class 10 i got 1035 points on antutu. can you check yours to see if we have a new record and post the result ?

if you think i can help in anything specific just send me a pm or post here. we are all working on the same side to improve our phone

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman1961

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
You wrote "Both Cameras and VideoCameras working"so i thought you meant back and front camera....
No both apps cameras: many users denoted issues about one of them

• check my ROM's build.prop for code optimizations
  • also experiment with dalvik cache settings. it can make the ROM a lot faster

• These suggestion and other are already inserted

[*]remove some services always running (ex is voice dialer that very few people use and makes system slower
    [*]remove unnecessary apps (example livewallpapers, geniewidget etc)
    [*]you can also set cpu performance settings as default without big loss on battery time, but with big affect on phone's responsiveness
    [*]remove some files on the system that make it heavier to load and handle (ex fewer ringtones to choose from ....)
    Many, many users in my country want them and want better battery drain; so if other user want different configuration he can change himself.
    They can use Titanium Backup or Link2SD.
    However scripts in rom block automatic boot of these apps so they don't affect phone's responsiveness

[*]uninstall downloaded apps from manage applications manu, clean /data/dalvik cache using root explorer, reboot system and install downloaded apps again
    With terminal command "su" and "sclean" it's all automatic

[*]my recommendation is not to install optional apps on system as many users ignore how to erase them when they do not need them (ex if somebody does not use twitter or facebook doesn't need them
    We can do it

[*]for faster gps i have discovered this solution try it and tell me the results
    I read your efforts in many posts: in Twister it is not necessary (at least in my country) any modification for GPS: first fix with moving car about 4-5 minutes, second and other fixes 10 sec maximum

[*]the biggest improvement you can see is by replacing the phone's framework with miui's one. you can find miui based on CM6. i know it looks a little chindish but very fast. you just port it to our ROM, and since working just keep it's engine (heart) and replace it's apps with the ones we prefer. MIUI gives us the fastest bases on android
    Ok, can you link me something also in pm?

[*]to measure if your ROM improvements are working or not use antutu benchmark 2.5 (bugless working on my android 2.2.2), antutu cpu master 2.5.2 and benchmark and tuning from android market
bytheway. with my ROM installed on sd class 10 i got 1035 points on antutu. can you check yours to see if we have a new record and post the result ?
I agree with many developers that antutu it is not reliable: however score with antutu is 1033

Little curiosity: are you "argentinos" on modaco?

Last edited:
Reactions: spkraul

spkraul

Nov 4, 2012
Naxos
yes i am modaco's argentinos. i just had chosen different nickname here, but nothing to hide :)

about antutu maybe it is not the most accurate in the world, but it is one of the very few running on android 2.2. Vellamo, quadrant, geekbench etc demand android 2.3 or better or better gpu. But benchmarks are one of the best tools to measure ROMS speed, compare them and improve them. after all i haven't used cheats to achieve my 1035 score and you also the same for 1033 score. so since we are not cheating antutu it can show us quite reliable results.

About gps. standalone settings are nice for people using GPS very often. for people using it rarely maybe they need to wait 4-5 minutes every time. i had experienced this many times with both wm system and android system and this is why i decided to try and find ms-based settings.
but even with your standalone settings try to change accuracy from 50 to 19 and disable dynamic accuracy (samsung's recommended for i8000 chipset) and i believe you will see improvement on the locking times.

About MIUI based on CM6 download from here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0q9ljaqmw0lyati/Miui_1.3.18v4_Formel-Cobrato.zip
consult here (but some info on CM7 based MIUI)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1041524
http://forum.samdroid.net/f63/rom-miui-gb-6342/
http://forum.samdroid.net/f62/rom-miui-gb-6349/

p.s. if you have free time please check this thread
http://www.modaco.com/topic/363230-android-rom-needed-for-base/
after cm6 for i8000 will be considered complete and not beta and we are very close to name a version "complete" :) this can be our next step - project CM7 for i8000. if one person made incomplete CM7 to run on i8000 we can improve it and run better

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman1961

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
yes i am modaco's argentinos. i just had chosen different nickname here, but nothing to hide :)

about antutu maybe it is not the most accurate in the world, but it is one of the very few running on android 2.2. Vellamo, quadrant, geekbench etc demand android 2.3 or better or better gpu. But benchmarks are one of the best tools to measure ROMS speed, compare them and improve them. after all i haven't used cheats to achieve my 1035 score and you also the same for 1033 score. so since we are not cheating antutu it can show us quite reliable results.

About gps. standalone settings are nice for people using GPS very often. for people using it rarely maybe they need to wait 4-5 minutes every time. i had experienced this many times with both wm system and android system and this is why i decided to try and find ms-based settings.
but even with your standalone settings try to change accuracy from 50 to 19 and disable dynamic accuracy (samsung's recommended for i8000 chipset) and i believe you will see improvement on the locking times.

About MIUI based on CM6 download from here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0q9ljaqmw0lyati/Miui_1.3.18v4_Formel-Cobrato.zip
consult here (but some info on CM7 based MIUI)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1041524
http://forum.samdroid.net/f63/rom-miui-gb-6342/
http://forum.samdroid.net/f62/rom-miui-gb-6349/

p.s. if you have free time please check this thread
http://www.modaco.com/topic/363230-android-rom-needed-for-base/
after cm6 for i8000 will be considered complete and not beta and we are very close to name a version "complete" :) this can be our next step - project CM7 for i8000. if one person made incomplete CM7 to run on i8000 we can improve it and run better

Thank so much!!!

Very interesting: after my little holidays i will work on these informations and i will answer you. See you soon :)

sergio_sos

Dec 7, 2011
Rosario
Hi, I'm going to try installing this ROM for the Omnia 2. It will be used by my girlfriend so I hope she won't have a hard time using it (I mean bugs or some things not working)

First of all I want to thank you gusy for developing for this phone, it is a good phone but with a wrong OS.
Now I have a couple of questions:
1. There is no other way than to install Ubuntu and using it for the specified steps?
2. Could you please post the exact size of the files inside the 7zip files? I don't want to have any errors during the installation. I have attached a screenshot of the files that I got after I unzipped the 2 7zip files, please check it out and tell me if that's ok.

Thank you again!

Attachments

• twister.jpg
    twister.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 114

spiderman1961

Oct 31, 2012
Avella
Hi, I'm going to try installing this ROM for the Omnia 2. It will be used by my girlfriend so I hope she won't have a hard time using it (I mean bugs or some things not working)

First of all I want to thank you gusy for developing for this phone, it is a good phone but with a wrong OS.
Now I have a couple of questions:
1. There is no other way than to install Ubuntu and using it for the specified steps?
2. Could you please post the exact size of the files inside the 7zip files? I don't want to have any errors during the installation. I have attached a screenshot of the files that I got after I unzipped the 2 7zip files, please check it out and tell me if that's ok.

Thank you again!

Hi,
you may not use Ubuntu, but the system would be slower and could create some problems (the ext4 file system created by MiniTool is not exactly the same as the one created by native Linux with Ubuntu).
I suggest, with respect to the guide to make a linux swap partition of 250mb (not 200): it should prevent incidents of freeze.
The size of the downloaded files are correct: good installation.
Enjoy

Hola,
no puede usar Ubuntu, pero el sistema sería más lento y puede crear algunos problemas (el sistema de archivos ext4 creado por MiniTool no es exactamente el mismo que el creado por Linux nativa con Ubuntu).
Sugiero, con respecto a la guía para hacer una partición de intercambio de Linux de 250 MB (no 200): debe evitar incidentes de congelación.
El tamaño de los archivos descargados son correctos: buena instalación.
:good:

Reactions: sergio_sos

sergio_sos

Dec 7, 2011
Rosario
Hi,
you may not use Ubuntu, but the system would be slower and could create some problems (the ext4 file system created by MiniTool is not exactly the same as the one created by native Linux with Ubuntu).
I suggest, with respect to the guide to make a linux swap partition of 250mb (not 200): it should prevent incidents of freeze.
The size of the downloaded files are correct: good installation.
Enjoy

Hola,
no puede usar Ubuntu, pero el sistema sería más lento y puede crear algunos problemas (el sistema de archivos ext4 creado por MiniTool no es exactamente el mismo que el creado por Linux nativa con Ubuntu).
Sugiero, con respecto a la guía para hacer una partición de intercambio de Linux de 250 MB (no 200): debe evitar incidentes de congelación.
El tamaño de los archivos descargados son correctos: buena instalación.
:good:

Thank you very much for your response. I will try to install the ROM today (hopefully)
And thank you for the spanish translation. I thought you were from Italy :cowboy:
I am from Argentina.
Saluti!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Twister Team (Frenkie99999999&Spiderman1961) is glad to present:

TWISTER 2

Credits to:
    almar (Marc)
    bsbsbs (Sándor)
    Egon
    phj (János)
    Voyteckst
    Frenkie99999999999
    kukafei
    Linuxsigh
    Argentinos

ROM is based on Android 2.2.2 Froyo. I applied code tweaks and improvements to make it more performant and smooth​
    ROM is free from malfunctions: the system is smooth; any lag will be due only with apps installation not fully compatible or incorrect installation procedure
    Android on OMNIAII is a safe bet won thanks to the efforts of many who have worked tirelessly and pure passion: to complain about minor inconveniences is misplaced. You can not expect perfection from our terminal that even natives Android devices have​

Changelog:
    General improvements:
    -New Bootanimation by Twister Team​
    -Trasparent Status Bar​
    -JelMiBean Theme: new icons, new wallpaper, new buttons, new battery iconsa and so on...​
    -Locked Launcher in memory by script (disable option in Spicagenmod settings and in launcher settings​
    -New themed System Apps​
    -Playstore updated v 4.1.10​
    -Quick Pick update v. 2.9.4​
    -AdAway: no ads​
    -Camcorder shorthcut​
    -FlashPlayer​
    -Miui Music Player​
    -MxPlayer​
    -Toggle2G to save battery drain​
    -GApps for CM6 (CarHome, Facebook, Gmail, Latitude, Luoghi, Maps, Navigatore, Genie Widget, GoogleSearch, VoiceSearch, Talk, Twitter)​
    -Bravia Engine: increased video sharpness​
    -Xloud Engine: increase loud sound and virtual effects​
    -New progress bar colour​
    -Jelly Bean font​
    -New Kernel: 2.6.32.9 root@kukafei​
    -New Sound system​
    -New Dialer​
    -New and hacked MMS.apk: no automatic mms conversion after 4 sms; recipients up 200​

Code improvements and Tweaks:
    -Supercharged with adapted zeppellinrox script​
    -Improved real Mutitasking with "Low Memory killer balanced script": DON'T USE TASK MANAGER TO KILL APP (ONLY IF REALLY NECESSARY)​
    -Improved automatic detailing databases on boot: better speed and smoothness​
    -Improved Zipalignin and fixpermission apps on boot: no FC, better battery drain and ram​
    -Build.prop modified​
    -Tweak battery for better drain​
    -Improved VM Tweaks​
    -Improved read ahead cache up 2048 kb: better speed access data​
    -Cache flushing on boot​
    -Better scrolling and touchscreen responsiveness​
    -Disabled Zram compression: not friendly for our device​
    -Tweaks for better smoothness​
    -Network data tweaks for fastest 3G​
    -Best Dialer responsiveness: fix delays and black screen issue​
    -Improved photo and video recording​
    -Kernel tweaks: better I/O and governor settings without random reboot​
    -Ext4 smart mounting (noatime, disable barrier etc): better speed disk access​
    -Sysctl tweaks: minor lags​
    -Automatic screen state scaling​
    -Better Network Throughput​
    -GPS issue (only for any users): no thirdy part apps for fix! First fix on my moving car: 3 min. Other fix few seconds​
    -Video Recording A/V Sync for CM6 removed: crashing video recording​
    -Both Cameras and VideoCameras working: added VideoCamera shortcut. Use it for videocamera and your apps don't crash​

Credits to:
    Moonguy75
    Costinuz32
    knzo
    ImbaWind
    zeppellinrox

What's working:
    -Audio​
    -Receiving and making calls​
    -GPS​
    -Compass​
    -Proximity sensor​
    -Wifi​
    -Bluetooth​
    -USB mass storage​
    -Cameras​
    Partially working:
    -Reset data​
    Not working
    -Update Binary Superuser​
    -Theter wifi​

DOWNLOAD LINK​

After download unzip with 7zip: you will have a folder with all necessary for installation: rom, kernel, haret.exe, startup.txt...

ROM IS SET ON ITALIAN LANGUAGE: TO CHANGE IT GO TO "IMPOSTAZIONI/LINGUA E TASTIERA" AND CHOOSE YOUR LANGUAGE

Installation instructions

First some considerations:

A. Porting Android on Omnia (born for WinMobile 6.5) is a pure gamble: to complain of minor malfunctions, claiming a perfection that there is not even on the native device is totally out of place.
    It's part of game: in almost all cases, these small hitches, which does not at all preclude the daily use of the terminal, are solved with a simple reboot.
    B. Please follow the installation procedure to the letter, without neglecting any detail, otherwise block the installation or malfunction with lag and other troubles of the terminal.
    C. The installation must be done with telephone SIM and microSD inserted!!!!!
    D. It is recommended to install remaining disconnected from the Internet and with the antivirus disabled

INSTALLATION STEPS FOR OMNIAII WITH2GB OF INTERNAL MEMORY​

1. Connect device to PC through USB under WinMobile ("Settings Samsung / Usb Connection / "My Storage")
    3. Delete all partitions in "My Storage".
    4. Create three new partitions:
    5. FIRST PARTITION: FAT32, LOGICAL, 500mb, label "DISK"
    6. SECOND PARTITION: EXT4, LOGICAL, 1250mb, label "disk"

PARTITIONS FOR USERS WITH OMNIA 8GB (Credits to Lagunostrum)​

IMPORTANT: For users with Omnia 8Gb, you must change the startup.txt​

DO NOT create Linux partitions SWAP MORE 'BIG 200 Mb,
    ACCORDING TO MANY DEVELOPERS, SUCH DIMENSIONS SLOW THE DEVICE​

9. Start Ubuntu in Virtual Machine (those who have not can disconnect the phone from Windows and, after running Ubuntu, can connect with the procedure described below)
    10. Click on the menu "Virtual Machine", select "Removable devices", select GTI8000, select "Connect" to connect Omnia to Ubuntu
    11. Open "Gparted" or other utility Ubuntu to partition the disk
    12. Right-click on "ext4" and "remove" the partition, right-click again to "ext4" and choose "Format as ext4" (with tests carried out, it is more snappy rom installed on a formatted partition from Ubuntu in "ext4 "with respect to a partition" ext4 "formatted by MiniTool)
    13. Right-click on "linux-swap" and format as "linux-swap" (for the same reason as above)
    14. Close "Gparted"
    15. Click on the menu "Virtual machine / Removable devices / Disconnect" to disconnect and reconnect the phone automatically from Ubuntu to Windows (do not disconnect the USB cable!!!!)
    16. Close Ubuntu
    17. Set the date on the PC on September 2011 (if it does not work in September 2010)
    18. Open Image For Windows and choose "Restore (Normal)"
    19. Navigate to the folder where you saved the ROM and select it
    20. Click "Next" and flag the ROM to be installed
    21. Click again on "Next" and choose where to install the ROM: Of course it will be the EXT4 partition (Linux native)("disk"), 1250 Mb created with MiniTool and reformatted under Ubuntu
    22. Click "Next" and continue until screen will warn you that all data on the target partition will be deleted and be replaced by those of the ROM: click OK and continue
    23. On next screen, leave options settings as you find them
    24. On next screen click "Start" and start the procedure.
    25. After installation, close Image For Windows and set time PC correctly.

Copy the files "haret.exe", "startup.txt" and "zImage" in DISK. (ie the root of the "My storage" WinMobile).
    These files must remain in DISK (ie the root of the "My storage" WinMobile).

26. From WinMobile, with a File Manager, navigate to "haret.exe" and click it to start Android.
    27. After first boot of Android, DO NOT USE THE TELEPHONE, wait for SO fully started and RESTART the phone
    28. Set Playstore on "do not automatically update applications"!!!!!!!

Choose carefully what to update because recent apps are the most greedy of ram (block the phone) and they bring very little improvement.

ESPECIALLY DO NOT UPDATE GAPPS (CarHome, Facebook, Gmail, Latitude, Places, Maps, Navigation, Genie Widget, GoogleSearch, VoiceSearch, Talk, Twitter), otherwise they will not be opened.WHILE I WRITE I HAVE JUST TESTED FACEBOOK: slow on GALAXY ADVANCE OF MY WIFE, but splinter on my old Omnia
    Frequently Asked Question

During installation of our Rom you can present difficulties. Often they are the same and identical are solutions.
    For this reason I group here most common issues with most appropriate solutions: all tested and working.
    PLEASE READ THESE LINES CAREFULLY BEFORE POST QUESTIONS THAT HAVE ALREADY HERE 'FOUND REPLY

Installation Tweaks

1. Why 'install in "My Storage"?
    'Cause it's 5 times more' fast!
    Here's how: Copy files haret.exe, startup.txt and zImage in the Root of My Storage, the 2-Gb or 8 Gb.

2. Can I install in external MicroSD?
    Recently many users have done: must comply with these conditions:
    -Microsd must be at least class 10
    File startup.txt-line [Set CMDLINE "rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk1p6 init = / init"] should be changed as follows: Set CMDLINE "rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk0p2 init = / init"
    -File haret.exe, startup.txt and zImage must be copied on the external MicroSD

3. WinMobile is cleared or noised by Android installation?
    Android does not cause, any "noise" to the Windows Mobile operating system installed natively on the phone. It will continue to work regularly: in fact we will have a phone with two operating systems fully functional.

4. What should I do just installed Android?
    As soon as the phone has started completely must restart your phone to avoid any problems

5. Why on first boot phone remains locked on Android on Omnia II loading?
    Possible answers:

a) Can 'have damaged some files in decompression: REINSTALL ALWAYS REPLACE ON ANY FAILURE
    b) There may be some corrupt files in download: trying to re-download rom.
    c) There may be a problem on disk address. The kernel has booted, the phone can not find the operating system and crashes.
    In this case, proceed as follows:
    -write disk address ext4 under Ubuntu ("disk") and change startup.txt (ONLY WITH NOTEPAD + +!!):
    for example, if ext4 partition under Ubuntu is dev/sdb6 change the value: root = / dev/mmcblk1p6 init = / init "boot

6. If Ubuntu identifies the ext4 partition (disk) as / dev/sdc6 "(and not / dev/sdb6)" What should I do?
    Open the file startup.txt and edit it as the "code" that appears in the format window under ubuntu:
    change the last line of the file Startup set CMDLINE "rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk1p6 init = / init" boot ----> mmcblk2p6.

7. What is the file startup.txt?
    The file contains the parameters address of Android system.
    The line we are interested in is the following: "Set CMDLINE" rootdelay = 2 root = / dev/mmcblk1p6 init = / init "

"1" is number disc (if you have inserted a microSD the value must be "1" if it is not inserted must be "0").
    "6" is number partition "disk" (in most cases, by partitioning "disk" with MiniTool, is assigned the number 6 to the Linux partition).

If after installation, the phone hangs on Android on Omnia II Loading, 99% one or both of the values mentioned above are incorrect.
    In most cases, if you install with microSD inserted, values to be inserted are "mmcblk1p6."
    If problems occur the reason is constituted by 'physical address that has been assigned to the partition "disk", in which case we need to understand which the partition number your computer has assigned to "disk". To do this, just to see, when you format under ubuntu, on the top bar of the window formatting: here a code appears "sdbX" where X is the partition number: record it and edit it in the line of reported

8. For other installations have to repartition and format all over again?
    No: once done partitioning procedure, next time that you install a future release of the rom, just install the image. TBI, with "ImageForWindows", without touching the partitions.

9. How can I replace the kernel?
    Just copy the zImage in "My Storage" and "Storage", and start Android.

10. Why Image for Windows does not work?
    You must set date pc on September 2011 (or 2010)

11. To install any update of Rom need to do the whole process all over again or just replace some files?
    It should make the whole process all over again.
    The kernel can be replaced individually, but the modded if copied at a later time inhibit the free wi-fi. You should clean the cache, delete a file .conf and anyway rom would be unstable.

12. My Omnia 8GB is: how should be large partitions?
    Configuration tested and running on Omnia 8Gb (Credits to Lagunostrum):

1) 1st Partition FAT32, 6390 mb, Logical
    2) 2nd partition 1250 mb EXT4, Logical
    3) 3rd Linux swap partition 196 Logical

13. Can I increase size of Linux swap partition?
    Many developers recommend not to exceed a size of 250 MB for partition in question: that instead of increasing the performance to slow down greatly.

14. Why I do not read anymore the external microSD?
    For those who have problems with the microSD: Make sure that the SD is working and that is formatted Fat32 Primary and Active. use SDFormatter

15. How can I access the phone as a USB memory?
    You have to go in Settings \ Applications \ Development and remove the flag on Debug USB.

16. Why, despite having removed flag on usb debugging phone is not recognized as USB storage?
    -First of all, try restarting your computer and phone.
    - If this is not enough the solution is the following:
    under Windows, you can go to the "Computer Management", then "Disk Management" and there if Android appears without a letter assigned, assign one with the right button, "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and you're done
    -Check if you are corrupt drivers of the phone and possibly reinstall

17. Why phone does not wake up after the screen is turned off?
    Often it is sufficient to press the awakening and even if the screen does not light up, wait a few more seconds and everything will fall into place.

18. How does hardware buttons work?
    HARDWARE KEYS WORKS LIKE ON WINDOWS MOBILE

19. Satellites Fix needs thirdy part application?
    No, works perfectly by itself: the first fix is slow (takes several minutes), the following are faster (a few seconds)

20. Why the time is not exact and is always back an hour?
    This problem can be solved permanently under WinMobile setting time zone of London / Dublin (with Italian correct time) and under Android time will be ok

21. If one day I do not want more android how do I delete it and only have windows?
    Just delete the ext4 partition and expand the fat32 partition to the whole disk.

21. How should I set the Bluetooth?
    1) make visible the device
    2) under the heading "discoverable duration" set "infinite"
    3) under "discoverable timeout" set "2 minute"
    4) searches for available devices and match omnia
    System maintenance

SYSTEM MAINTENANCE​

The following commands are all to be understood as to perform on a window Terminal Emulator pre-installed in ROM

To get more in-depth ram in case of remarkable system slowdowns type:
    su (enter)
    flush (enter)

-To compact database for faster access to the data type:
    su (enter)
    vac (enter)

-To realign app (especially if you installed new ones) in order to save on battery drain and ram type:
    su (enter)
    zepalign (enter)

-To Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache (often used to prevent various malfunctions of the system) type:
    su (enter)
    sclean (enter)

-To make a Fix permission (needed to resolve issues of app Force Close) enter:
    su (enter)
    fixfc (enter)

System reboot, after typing these commands, in many cases it will be very, very, very long: do not worry if the bootanimation runs for a long time and the system does not seem to restart.
    And 'quite normal. Android is performing the routines start from scratch without reading the previous (now deleted because it caused errors) and eventually will boot more agile than before.
    System tweaks

System tweaks​

1. How can I "paint" notifications pull-down menu in the top bar?
    Go to SpicagenMod settingS \ Interface \ Notification colors and choose a color for each entry in the "Statusbar notifications" and "Items notification"; "Notification bar" lets you make additional changes to the bar and colors.

2. How can I save battery power?
    -from "System Settings" control which apps consume more battery and block them or set them so they suck less
    -Then check with the app CPUSpy if the phone goes into DeepSleep: if there is there any app that runs in the background and consumes. Locate and disable
    -use GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth only when needed, otherwise disable
    -use 2G instead, switch to 3G only for data connections: it is preinstalled in the ROM Toggle2G that automatically manages the switch (but remember to disable it because otherwise you will not have data connection)

3. How do I see what's running in the background?
    Go to Settings, Applications, Manage applications and check what apps are running, for safety always under applications, go to the Services running and check which services are run in the background

4. How can I speed up the execution of the app?
    With the pro version of Titanium Pro go to / batch operations / manipulates data / activating "convert DB mode Wal" click it: system is much more responsive.

5. How can I save on the consumption of Ram?
    -Not too heavy with both the home, with too many widgets, and the device with too many apps. The phone will have greater reactivity '.

6. How can I make a Nandroid Backup, because here we can not get into Recovery Mode?
    With ImageForWindows, you can create a backup image of the Rom, crystallize it with all the settings and installed app. Simply make the backup procedure (full)

7. How to replace bootanimation?
    With a file explorer with root access like Root Explorer go to / system / media and replace the bootanimation.zip file.
    Or just remove the file, and we'll start the classic writing android that lights up.

9. How do I disable the apps that start up automatically?
    Download app from the Play Store that makes access to the list of apps that start automatically on boot.
    CAREFUL DO NOT DISABLE APPS SYSTEM, (ie text messages, phone, market, 'Android system, ... otherwise the system becomes unstable!)