I think my phone has reached the end of its line

Search This thread

txtsd

Feb 13, 2009
I installed the Neutrino ROM (CM7) a few hours ago because I was extremely tired of dealing with the 2hr battery life I was getting from CM10.1 and kristianp's latest kernels. I'm not sure if the 38p radio was contributing to any problems or not.

I was perusing the settings; I tapped Add Account in Settings > Accounts, and my phone rebooted, after which it wouldn't go past the Moto logo and would display this message "Modem did not power up (0) Starting RSD protocol support"

I googled this, and it's a hardware problem with no way to fix it except warranty, which has expired. I can boot my phone using "Boot Android (No BP)", but this disables radio, so I cannot use my phone for communication purposes anymore. Except IM apps when I'm at home on WiFi.

Any ideas as to what I should do? I really don't think I can afford a new phone right now since I'm about to buy a laptop for school.

krystianp

May 14, 2012
Rzeszow
I installed the Neutrino ROM (CM7) a few hours ago because I was extremely tired of dealing with the 2hr battery life I was getting from CM10.1 and kristianp's latest kernels. I'm not sure if the 38p radio was contributing to any problems or not.

I was perusing the settings; I tapped Add Account in Settings > Accounts, and my phone rebooted, after which it wouldn't go past the Moto logo and would display this message "Modem did not power up (0) Starting RSD protocol support"

I googled this, and it's a hardware problem with no way to fix it except warranty, which has expired. I can boot my phone using "Boot Android (No BP)", but this disables radio, so I cannot use my phone for communication purposes anymore. Except IM apps when I'm at home on WiFi.

Any ideas as to what I should do? I really don't think I can afford a new phone right now since I'm about to buy a laptop for school.

I had that problem twice on my atrix and managed to boot modem again. I don't have exact solution but it was mix of booting in different modes, flashing radio, pulling battery for some time. If your modem just hang it should be possible to restart it.

Reactions: txtsd

txtsd

Feb 13, 2009
I had that problem twice on my atrix and managed to boot modem again. I don't have exact solution but it was mix of booting in different modes, flashing radio, pulling battery for some time. If your modem just hang it should be possible to restart it.

I tried flashing 38p over and over again, but it kept failing. I guess I can try booting in different modes and pulling the battery, if this has a chance of working.

krystianp

May 14, 2012
Rzeszow
I tried flashing 38p over and over again, but it kept failing. I guess I can try booting in different modes and pulling the battery, if this has a chance of working.

I read about your storage problems. It looks like I had very similar experience. Both modem and storage started failing in the same time. To fix storage you can try flashing sbf. From what I read it rebuilds whole emmc. Another solution (that I used) was to rebuild and format partition in recovery. I have different recovery with proper support for vfat (default recovery has problems with it). If you are interested I can publish it.

ravilov

Jan 26, 2010
localhost
I had some weird storage problems too, on two different devices, both running MROM-CM7. Both of them had a very hard time getting to 48 hours of uptime without at least one random reboot, and almost every time the reason (according to logs) was "mmcblk0: error -110 settings block erase XXX address" (XXX would be start or end) and some random sector, always different. (For what it's worth, "-110" means TIMEOUT.) After a lot of poking around, switching /data to ext3 instead of ext4 (and modifying the boot image/ramdisk accordingly) seems to have fixed it for me. No idea why ext4 would be so problematic but I'm happy for now.

Last edited:

txtsd

Feb 13, 2009
I read about your storage problems. It looks like I had very similar experience. Both modem and storage started failing in the same time. To fix storage you can try flashing sbf. From what I read it rebuilds whole emmc. Another solution (that I used) was to rebuild and format partition in recovery. I have different recovery with proper support for vfat (default recovery has problems with it). If you are interested I can publish it.
I tried booting different in different modes, pulled the battery for several minutes, and tried flashing radio to no avail. Still dead. I'm prepping to flash sbf right now. afaik vfat uses more space to store files than FAT32. Why would I want a recovery with vfat support?
EDIT: Is this the best way to flash SBF? I thought there might be a different method to go about it from CM10, but couldn't find any such methods.

I had some weird storage problems too, on two different devices, both running MROM-CM7. Both of them had a very hard time getting to 48 hours of uptime without at least one random reboot, and almost every time the reason (according to logs) was "mmcblk0: error -110 settings block erase XXX address" (XXX would be start or end) and some random sector, always different. (For what it's worth, "-110" means TIMEOUT.) After a lot of poking around, switching /data to ext3 instead of ext4 (and modifying the boot image/ramdisk accordingly) seems to have fixed it for me. No idea why ext4 would be so problematic but I'm happy for now.
I mounted the internal SD via recovery earlier, and ran chkdsk on it in Windows. It claimed to have fixed several bad sectors, but it still didn't mount the drive after rebooting. I will try this ext3 trick too. Aren't all partitions ext3 by default anyway? Isn't that why there's an "upgrade partition to ext4" option in ROMracer's recovery?

Last edited:

txtsd

Feb 13, 2009
@KristianP @ravilov

So I flashed my phone with 1FF-olympus-user-2.3.6-4.5.1A-129_OLY-145-4-release-keys-signed-ATT-US-GAS_NA_OLPSGBATTSPE_P012.sbf
and the radio and internal storage magically started to work again. The only problem I have now, which started just now, is my screen registering touches where I'm not touching it. It's really hard to type when every 3rd or 4th tap registers above the keyboard, thereby closing it.

Going to flash a fresh CM10.1 now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.