Apps U use on your WP8 device

Search This thread

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Authenticator (think Google Authenticator)
bart mobile (when in the Bay Area)
Fiction Book Reader (for DRM-free ebooks; I've tried a few others too such as Point Reader which is different and cool)
Flashlight (does what the name implies...)
Here Drive/Transit/Maps (of course, although Here Drive pisses me off quite badly at times)
IM+ (for GTalk, Yahoo Messenger, and AIM contacts)
LinkedIn (mostly for answering messages / network requests)
Lync 2013 (for work)
Mango Transit (basically acts like the built-in Maps app but adds the ability to get directions via transit instead of only driving or walking)
MTGBugs NEXT (helpful app for Magic: the Gathering players)
My Account (T-Mobile US carrier account info app)
Netflix
OneBusAway (somewhat regional but very helpful)
oPenGP (PGP/GPG client; not great but does the job)
OverDrive (for getting e-books and e-audiobooks from the library)
Pandora (not a lot, since I have a Zune / Xbox Music pass, but sometimes)
RemoteDesktop (works fantastically)
Skype (of course)
Speedtest.net (just like the website, basically)
The SSH Client (also works great, and yes I use both RDP and SSH servers)
WTA Trailblazer (only useful if you happen to live in Washington, or want to do hikes here, but I do...)
Yelp

This is a pretty partial list - just the stuff that I use *regularly* - and excludes the following categories of apps:
Games (lots of those)
Built-in apps (I don't use all of them, but I use a lot of them)
Homebrew apps (given what I do here, this should be obvious)

Apr 2, 2013
surat
#mowithlove (for giving mustache to pics)
advanced english dictionary
CamScanner (very useful app)
Flashlight XT
LazyLens(For pics effects)
Nokia smart camera
Moliplayer Pro(watching Movies)
myAppfree (daily one free app)
Nokia Mix radios
Nokia cinemagraph(Animated photoes)
Youtube HD
Lockmix (i love this app)

Nicolfa

Mar 18, 2007
Clover
Most of the Nokia apps, Bing news & weather, Netflix, mytube, Hulu plus, flashlight x, swipe tunes, various games, Skype, instagram beta, tumblr, pininterest, vba8, snes8, imdb, mediafire, PayPal, Pandora, tapatalk, chronos, contacts, battery meter and baconit. Some others too :)

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

thals1992

Sep 26, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
www.uidnation.com
I've got a number of apps that I've installed but only so many I actually use...
Remoting into other computers:
TeamViewer - for when RDP doesn't want to cooperate.
ConnectMe - RDP client, kinda works...NetBIOS names seem to break on WP8.

Music&Video:
onePlayer - a decent DLNA app that kinda works (its really a WP7 app, Nokia's PlayTo does the opposite of what I want; I loved HTC's Connected Music app for WP7)
ModPhone7 - Plays tracker music (MODs, XMs, ITs, S3Ms)
WOMP - Also plays tracker music, it was the first in the store to actually work.
Sat Rad Player - An app that plays the streams from SiriusXM. Its no longer in the store AFAIK...
MPAtool - used to be homebrew for WP7, but its officially a legitamate app now. It mostly adds images from last.fm, but does a basic google image search too...

Games:
Tiny Death Star - A freemium game thats actually playable without throwing real money at it.
VGBC/VGBA/SNES8X/EmiGens/EmiPSX - Emulators that I use to kill time in public. Sometimes I wish they made a shell-like moga controller (I don't actually use these too often where I'd want to purchase one, but not all of these have support for it either...)

Internet Stuff:
UCBrowser - A "private" browser that has previously had a homebrew version for WP7. Also works for downloading stuff that IE wouldn't download.
Amazing Weather HD - Nice live tile.... Thats about it. I solely use this to check the weather. (Radar is meh in all weather apps in the store.)
SysApp Pusher - A must have for checking updates and installing apps for other OEMs.
Skype - I occasionally chat with other xda members using this, but it doesn't always work in the background.
Zinio - I have a few magazines I read using their service. Namely PCMag....
MetroTube - Some might actually object to this, but it just has always worked for me. I also had this on WP7 a year ago. I download some youtube videos using this, but I'd wish it had a transfer to music+videos option to watch it on something else or to download them to the PC.
Gasbuddy - I used to try and report gas prices to help others, but since I'm the one who does most of the driving... its not very useful unless I need to find gas in the first place.
Windows Phone Central - This is kinda the only news I read anymore. Politics and regional news is the same stuff month after month.
Tapatalk - I post here using it when I need to just do a quick update on what I'm doing or if I can actually help someone.
facebook beta - Its facebook... what more can I say about it?
wptorrent pro - a torrent app that plays movies and stuff...it shares the files to the local network via a web-server.

Lockscreen background:
Lock Manager - a visually appealing lockscreen that I can live with that has the weather in a format that doesn't take too much of the lockscreen image away.
glance background - added a monochrome version of Master Chief (John) from Halo and set it too look like it was on 8bit device

Mapping/GPS Stuff
HERE Drive+ - Annoying as h***, I use it mainly for my current part-time job and I'm beginning to feel extreme hate for it. The fact it mutes the audio when it announces things is the first annoyance instead of pausing the music or just ducking behind the music volume while announcing the directions. The second annoyance is that it doesn't announce the address right before I destinate. (at least after the last update it shows the hose number instead of just the street name.) Also, it doesn't always have the most accurate maps, its 3 years outdated in my region, so roads have been renamed and other roads have been outright closed. When not actually not on the road it tends to snap you to the road, so you could be in a parking garage where it snaps you to a road when you are actually on a different one. This app fully assumes that you are still heading the "proper" directions until it recalculates in ~5-10 seconds. All of this just makes me wish the Garmin app wasn't so darned expensive.
gMaps - I use this when Nokia Drive/Bing Maps/anything that uses the OS's maps are out of date and need to get to a missing street.
GPS Voice Navigation - I've dabbled with this a bit enough to say its nice to use, but requires data; navigating around the app isn't as straight forward as it should be.

Developer Apps:
TimeMe - a clock tile with the date, battery percentage and the current weather (just temp and status e.g. cloudy image and temp)
Native Toast Launcher - Used for launching hidden pages inside any app.
US MO Apps - for whenever I can get Fiddler to work right again...

Last edited:

schluff1

Jul 8, 2008
Hamburg
Apps

Whatsapp
gMaps+
Yelp
TileCam <-- best live tile app! I love to see my ski resorts live cam on a tile!
Bing News
Shazam
GeoPhoto
Nokia Panorama (with proxy on HTC 8x) :good:
Surfcube Browser
FlashVideo

... and my own apps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rekach

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
does anyone know a app that allows you to pin the tethering to the tiles page or some kind of widget, can't seem to find it.

hopefully someone can help.

thanks

vincent_1234

Jul 10, 2014
Too bad whatsapp isn´t actively developed anymore (still no proper 8.1 support?). Does Facebook have any other plans?
I don't use apps that much, but I prefer the OS above all others

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
  1. Adobe reader.
  2. Awesome Lock (Live lock screens with weather, news).
  3. Birdy bounce ( Old wp7 game , not in store anymore but I have the xap).
  4. Ebay.
  5. Facebook.
  6. Files (File explorer).
  7. Gizmodo (News reader).
  8. Grapher Calculator.
  9. Heise Online News (News reader)
  10. Hill Climb Racing (Game).
  11. IO Explorer (Homebrew made by XDA User).
  12. Livedrive (same as OneDrive but then paid and 2TB).
  13. Navigon Europe ( Best Navigation there is but real expensive).
  14. Navigon FreshMaps XL Europe ( Map updates for Navigon).
  15. OBD Auto Docktor (Auto Diagnostic Tool).
  16. PayPal ( But sucks).
  17. Preview for Developers :D .
  18. SamWP8 Tools ( Homebrew by XDA User).
  19. Skype.
  20. Store Deals.
  21. Tapatalk.
  22. TeamViewer.
  23. Twitter.
  24. WhatsApp.
  25. WPCentral (News reader).
  26. WPH Tweaks (Homebrew tweaking tool).
  27. Zombie Tsunami (Game).

Last edited:
From A to Z

Adobe Reader
Amazing Weather HD
Angry Birds Go
Checkers 2
Clock wp 8.1
CloudSix for dropbox
Copter Classic
Empty Tiles
Facebook Beta
Files
Find Me
Flappy Bird
Flashlight
GeoPhoto
Here Drive + ( still missing a Truck option and/or dangerous goods routes )
Lock Screen
Lumia System Updater
Lumia Storage Check Beta
Metrotube
Preview for Developers
Pushbullet Beta
Race the Stig
Stop Music
Super percentage Calculator
Tile-Clock
Torrex Pro
Transparancy Tiles
Uitslag calculator ( my private little project build by another developer, its in the store bud hidden )
WhatsApp
Wordfeud ( pirated version, the original sucs )
WP Central

teenurmi

May 12, 2015
2015 IIHF Powered by Skoda (Finland!!)
6tag
9gag
Counters by teenurmi (LOL)
Facebook Beta
Flashlifht XT
Geocaching live
Gestures Beta (Really useful app)
Groupon
Here Drive+, Maps, Transit (Hope that Here apps developing does not stop or decrease (no Windows Phone banner even here.com site right now :( ))
LinkedIn
Lumia Camera
Lumia Creative Studio
Lumia Moments
Lumia Panorama
Lumia Video Trimmer
meme Generator
MixRadio
Movie Creator Beta
Movie Maker
myTube!
Netflix
Office Lens
OneDrive
PDF Reader
Photosynth
Preview for Developers
Simple Training Timer
Spotify
Health and fitness
Translator
TuneIn Radio
Twitter
Video Tuner
Vine
WhatsApp
WhatsApp Video Optimizer
Windows Insider
WolframAlpha

VSparxx

Oct 23, 2011
#1Toolkit - tools for different quick measurements.
8 Zip - archivator app.
Cornet - good for quick network diagnosis.
Device Shot - posting a screenshot in a device of your choice .
EXIF Reader - quick photo exif data reading.
Fantastic Lock - tile for quick lock
PuTTy - the best SSH/telnet client there is on this planet.
Remote Desktop - MS RDP.
Teamviewer - if no RDP available.
Ringtone Maker
SkyMap - a cool map of the sky with realtime camera pointing and ability to show constelations and other cool stuff.
Tapatalk - for posting to this site .
Total Commander - really great dual pane file manager.
WinBox Lite - mikrotik router os basic tasks
Media Center 8.1 - great and customizable music player with flac and ogg support.

for GPS i use GPS Voice Navigation as here maps are atrocious for my region.

and the usual ones, like:
Wpcentral
Neowin
Tapatalk
Disqus
Twitter
Viber
Messenger
Mix Radio

Last edited:

Piachu91

Feb 15, 2012
The most important:
6tag
Facebook
gMaps
Here Drive+
OneDrive
GDrive.NET
Lumia Camera
Messenger
OneNote
Uber

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got a number of apps that I've installed but only so many I actually use...
    Remoting into other computers:
    TeamViewer - for when RDP doesn't want to cooperate.
    ConnectMe - RDP client, kinda works...NetBIOS names seem to break on WP8.

Music&Video:
    onePlayer - a decent DLNA app that kinda works (its really a WP7 app, Nokia's PlayTo does the opposite of what I want; I loved HTC's Connected Music app for WP7)
    ModPhone7 - Plays tracker music (MODs, XMs, ITs, S3Ms)
    WOMP - Also plays tracker music, it was the first in the store to actually work.
    Sat Rad Player - An app that plays the streams from SiriusXM. Its no longer in the store AFAIK...
    MPAtool - used to be homebrew for WP7, but its officially a legitamate app now. It mostly adds images from last.fm, but does a basic google image search too...

Games:
    Tiny Death Star - A freemium game thats actually playable without throwing real money at it.
    VGBC/VGBA/SNES8X/EmiGens/EmiPSX - Emulators that I use to kill time in public. Sometimes I wish they made a shell-like moga controller (I don't actually use these too often where I'd want to purchase one, but not all of these have support for it either...)

Internet Stuff:
    UCBrowser - A "private" browser that has previously had a homebrew version for WP7. Also works for downloading stuff that IE wouldn't download.
    Amazing Weather HD - Nice live tile.... Thats about it. I solely use this to check the weather. (Radar is meh in all weather apps in the store.)
    SysApp Pusher - A must have for checking updates and installing apps for other OEMs.
    Skype - I occasionally chat with other xda members using this, but it doesn't always work in the background.
    Zinio - I have a few magazines I read using their service. Namely PCMag....
    MetroTube - Some might actually object to this, but it just has always worked for me. I also had this on WP7 a year ago. I download some youtube videos using this, but I'd wish it had a transfer to music+videos option to watch it on something else or to download them to the PC.
    Gasbuddy - I used to try and report gas prices to help others, but since I'm the one who does most of the driving... its not very useful unless I need to find gas in the first place.
    Windows Phone Central - This is kinda the only news I read anymore. Politics and regional news is the same stuff month after month.
    Tapatalk - I post here using it when I need to just do a quick update on what I'm doing or if I can actually help someone.
    facebook beta - Its facebook... what more can I say about it?
    wptorrent pro - a torrent app that plays movies and stuff...it shares the files to the local network via a web-server.

Lockscreen background:
    Lock Manager - a visually appealing lockscreen that I can live with that has the weather in a format that doesn't take too much of the lockscreen image away.
    glance background - added a monochrome version of Master Chief (John) from Halo and set it too look like it was on 8bit device

Mapping/GPS Stuff
    HERE Drive+ - Annoying as h***, I use it mainly for my current part-time job and I'm beginning to feel extreme hate for it. The fact it mutes the audio when it announces things is the first annoyance instead of pausing the music or just ducking behind the music volume while announcing the directions. The second annoyance is that it doesn't announce the address right before I destinate. (at least after the last update it shows the hose number instead of just the street name.) Also, it doesn't always have the most accurate maps, its 3 years outdated in my region, so roads have been renamed and other roads have been outright closed. When not actually not on the road it tends to snap you to the road, so you could be in a parking garage where it snaps you to a road when you are actually on a different one. This app fully assumes that you are still heading the "proper" directions until it recalculates in ~5-10 seconds. All of this just makes me wish the Garmin app wasn't so darned expensive.
    gMaps - I use this when Nokia Drive/Bing Maps/anything that uses the OS's maps are out of date and need to get to a missing street.
    GPS Voice Navigation - I've dabbled with this a bit enough to say its nice to use, but requires data; navigating around the app isn't as straight forward as it should be.

Developer Apps:
    TimeMe - a clock tile with the date, battery percentage and the current weather (just temp and status e.g. cloudy image and temp)
    Native Toast Launcher - Used for launching hidden pages inside any app.
    US MO Apps - for whenever I can get Fiddler to work right again...
    Apps

Whatsapp
    gMaps+
    Yelp
    TileCam <-- best live tile app! I love to see my ski resorts live cam on a tile!
    Bing News
    Shazam
    GeoPhoto
    Nokia Panorama (with proxy on HTC 8x) :good:
    Surfcube Browser
    FlashVideo

... and my own apps :)