[Q] Downloading Tablet apks off market running cm7?

Search This thread

dima0988

Jun 21, 2010
Hey everybody.. tried to find the answer to my question but seem to have no luck. I have nook color and atrix 4g. At&t has the app called *att messages* that basically is something similar to imessages for apple. I can even continue my conversation from tablet, but only thing is that nook color runs on cm7, which is a phone os,thus tablet part of android market is not available. Is there some way to trick that? Because I would love to be able to run tablet apps on my nook?

thanks

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Since you already downloaded and installed on your A4g, you should have the .apk file.
Grab it from your phone, "magically" transfer it to your NC then install from there.

When I said "magically", I meant do whatever kind of method you feel comfortable with to xfer the .apk to your NC.
a. email it or
b. upload to dropbox from A4g then download to yr NC or
c. using usb cable or

so on, ... there are a lot of ways to accomplish.

Last edited:

dima0988

Jun 21, 2010
Since you already downloaded and installed on your A4g, you should have the .apk file.
Grab it from your phone, "magically" transfer it to your NC then install from there.

When I said "magically", I meant do whatever kind of method you feel comfortable with to xfer the .apk to your NC.
a. email it or
b. upload to dropbox from A4g then download to yr NC or
c. using usb cable or

so on, ... there are a lot of ways to accomplish.

I understand that, and that would not be the problem, except the apk is tablet specific, so its a different version for tablets which wont allow me to download or install it on my atrix. Also atrix's apk wont work because phone apk requires 3g connection in order to pull data

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Alright, I'll try to help but either I am clueless what you talked about or you are really confusing about it.
Get back to the first post, you said you have the app installed on your phone A4g, then you wanted to install it on your NC. You said the app is tablet app while it is on your phone? and CM7 is a phone OS while running on your NC, which is a tablet, not a phone? :(:(:(
Your next post, you said it's tablet-specific app? What does that really mean?
It's only work on a specific tablet? then how was it on your phone A4g?
Last, if you already confirmed that the app requires 3g connection and you should know that the NC is NOT the phone, hence no 3g connection, then why you want to install it on your NC???? :(

stolenmoment

Mar 27, 2011
A fundamental question is: what makes it a tablet app? Honeycomb/ICS only? If so, you won't get tabletness from your NC under CM7.

You would, however, if you upgraded your NC to CM9/ICS. See other threads in this forum.

Also, as dima pointed out, if the app will only use the phone radio for its data (and not WiFi), the NC can't do that, period, no matter what software you're running.

dima0988

Jun 21, 2010
Alright, I'll try to help but either I am clueless what you talked about or you are really confusing about it.
Get back to the first post, you said you have the app installed on your phone A4g, then you wanted to install it on your NC. You said the app is tablet app while it is on your phone? and CM7 is a phone OS while running on your NC, which is a tablet, not a phone? :(:(:(
Your next post, you said it's tablet-specific app? What does that really mean?
It's only work on a specific tablet? then how was it on your phone A4g?
Last, if you already confirmed that the app requires 3g connection and you should know that the NC is NOT the phone, hence no 3g connection, then why you want to install it on your NC???? :(

Sorry for all the confusion. Let me clarify:
Atrix is running on NottachTrix 1.2.5
and NC is running on CM7 nightly

AT&T has 2 apps in Android market with the same name: first one for cellphones and second one for tablets. (can't post links, due to very few posts on xda)

I can download and install first one on my atrix and it works like a charm; but it wont work on NC since it requires 3G connection. The second one wont download on atrix, simply because Market tells me it is not compatible with my atrix.

When I go to my NC and try to download second app, which should be compatible, its not allowing me to download and install it, since CM7 on nook is identified by market as a phone OS, hence its saying its incompatible.

So the whole question is -is there a way to trick market into thinking i have tablet OS on my Nook so I could download that app? messing around with build.prop didnt do me any good

dima0988

Jun 21, 2010
from what it seemed like, it looked at a device Id or something, i dont think there were any OS requirements..

Will end up probably installing CM9 and see how that works...

About me pointing out about phone data usage by app, it was only the case with phone app not the tablet one, and it only uses it for initial setup..
A fundamental question is: what makes it a tablet app? Honeycomb/ICS only? If so, you won't get tabletness from your NC under CM7.

You would, however, if you upgraded your NC to CM9/ICS. See other threads in this forum.

Also, as dima pointed out, if the app will only use the phone radio for its data (and not WiFi), the NC can't do that, period, no matter what software you're running.

Mar 12, 2012
www.siriusxm.com
I'm having the same problem. I'm running the latest Cyanogenmod nightly build for my Nook Color and althought my NC is a tablet and is described as such in the "setting>about" screen, I'm unable to download any tablet apps from the android market (currently called google play). Tablet apps are those which are designed for for the larger screen size and the sometimes better resolution depending on make & model. So, is this because Cyanogenmod 7 is based off of Android Gingerbread 2.3? Is there a way around it withought flashing to CM9/ICS?

Sent from my NookColor using XDA

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Sorry for all the confusion. Let me clarify:
Atrix is running on NottachTrix 1.2.5
and NC is running on CM7 nightly

AT&T has 2 apps in Android market with the same name: first one for cellphones and second one for tablets. (can't post links, due to very few posts on xda)

I can download and install first one on my atrix and it works like a charm; but it wont work on NC since it requires 3G connection. The second one wont download on atrix, simply because Market tells me it is not compatible with my atrix.

When I go to my NC and try to download second app, which should be compatible, its not allowing me to download and install it, since CM7 on nook is identified by market as a phone OS, hence its saying its incompatible.

So the whole question is -is there a way to trick market into thinking i have tablet OS on my Nook so I could download that app? messing around with build.prop didnt do me any good
OK, the picture gets a bit clearer.
So, there are 2 apps, let's call them
a. "ATT message for Phone" and
b. "ATT message for Tablet".

Using your A4g, item a. downloaded and installed no problem but you can't download item b. due to incompatible device (as the A4g isn't a tablet).
So you use the NC to download item b. (good direction) but assumingly 'cuz of the CM7, you still cannot download it (item b) due to the incompatible issue again.

Here's my take
1. You know that the NC is NOT the phone, hence no 3G connection, right? I just don't want you waste your time getting the app installed but no use.
2. Pls provide the link to the second app (item b) so I can try on my CM7 and CM9 and see what happens. If I can't ('cuz due to the CM7 OS) then
3. I or someone will try to download it (item b) from the NOOK stock ROM as it should not be a problem

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
AT&T has 2 apps in Android market with the same name: first one for cellphones and second one for tablets....

I can download and install first one on my atrix and it works like a charm; but it wont work on NC since it requires 3G connection...
And you are thinking the tablet version won't require a 3g connection? How would it get SMS without a phone connection? I'm sure it's more than lack of tablet gui that is keeping market from saying it is compatible. It's looking for a device with phone (3g) capability.

Edit: I just looked at the description of AT&T Messages on the market. It sounds like it is much like Google Voice and does sms messaging via internet. So I may be wrong about needing 3g on the tablet.

Edit2: I just downloaded the tablet version and installed it on my CM9. Runs ok. But I was not then able to install the apk in CM7. Install screen shows up having all data blank.

Edit3: I modded the apk so it would install on CM7. It installed but crashed immediately on running. I think you are out of luck. I guess if you want to run it you have to move to CM9.

Last edited:

dima0988

Jun 21, 2010
I know and understand that NC has no 3G nodem and hence the communication is only via wifi.. but I'm assuming it will go over wifi, since at&t offers you the ability to also read and send texts from your computer.

link to the second app: http://bit. ly/xomO0x

i know, i maybe sound like a total noob, but i would like to make it work, since it could be very handy to be able to send/receive texts via NC)

OK, the picture gets a bit clearer.
So, there are 2 apps, let's call them
a. "ATT message for Phone" and
b. "ATT message for Tablet".

Using your A4g, item a. downloaded and installed no problem but you can't download item b. due to incompatible device (as the A4g isn't a tablet).
So you use the NC to download item b. (good direction) but assumingly 'cuz of the CM7, you still cannot download it (item b) due to the incompatible issue again.

Here's my take
1. You know that the NC is NOT the phone, hence no 3G connection, right? I just don't want you waste your time getting the app installed but no use.
2. Pls provide the link to the second app (item b) so I can try on my CM7 and CM9 and see what happens. If I can't ('cuz due to the CM7 OS) then
3. I or someone will try to download it (item b) from the NOOK stock ROM as it should not be a problem

dima0988

Jun 21, 2010
that's what i was thinking - since its doing messages over the internet, why would it matter wifi or 3g?

you said you were able to install it on CM9? meaning it does sync messages and all that stuff? because if that's the case, I might be moving to CM9 over the weekend..
Edit: I just looked at the description of AT&T Messages on the market. It sounds like it is much like Google Voice and does sms messaging via internet. So I may be wrong about needing 3g on the tablet.

Edit2: I just downloaded the tablet version and installed it on my CM9. Runs ok. But I was not then able to install the apk in CM7. Install screen shows up having all data blank.

Edit3: I modded the apk so it would install on CM7. It installed but crashed immediately on running. I think you are out of luck. I guess if you want to run it you have to move to CM9.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
that's what i was thinking - since its doing messages over the internet, why would it matter wifi or 3g?

you said you were able to install it on CM9? meaning it does sync messages and all that stuff? because if that's the case, I might be moving to CM9 over the weekend..
It acted like it was running properly. I had not registered a mobile phone so there was nothing to sync to. It thinks CM9 is a tablet and runs fine.

dima0988

Jun 21, 2010
Thank y'all for help!

Thank you all for your help. I decided to go the easy way and upgraded my nook to CM9, which runs smoothly and apk is working fine. Also might try the syncsms as was noticed before..

dima0988

Jun 21, 2010
I'm having the same problem. I'm running the latest Cyanogenmod nightly build for my Nook Color and althought my NC is a tablet and is described as such in the "setting>about" screen, I'm unable to download any tablet apps from the android market (currently called google play). Tablet apps are those which are designed for for the larger screen size and the sometimes better resolution depending on make & model. So, is this because Cyanogenmod 7 is based off of Android Gingerbread 2.3? Is there a way around it withought flashing to CM9/ICS?

Sent from my NookColor using XDA

I was not able to find a solution, simply because GB 2.3. is the phone OS, and even if you will play around with build.prop file and fool it into thinking its motorola xoom, it will still act like a phone and you wont be able to run tablet apps, unless you upgrade to cm9..

dima0988

Jun 21, 2010
I was not able to find a solution, simply because GB 2.3. is the phone OS, and even if you will play around with build.prop file and fool it into thinking its motorola xoom, it will still act like a phone and you wont be able to run tablet apps, unless you upgrade to cm9..

you can try this - go to any best buy other electronic retailer, get to a stand with tablets, go to google play and get the app you are looking to get and then the backup utility (i use Mybackup pro), download and install mybackup pro, backup the app that you wanting to have, then you can delete app (att messages), then go to file explorer (and if you have mybackup pro, to their folder called rerware), and get to the backup and you'll see that apk lying in there. press and hold and it will allow to share that file. Simply email it to yourself.. that's the other way to do it