Reading comic books?

Search This thread

ritchea

I've seen conjecture that the 12.2 should be great for reading comic books, but has anyone done so? If so, can you relate the 12.2 comic reading to the 10.1 experience? Have had a Toshiba Thrive for nearly 4 years but time to upgrade. Comic book reading (especially getting an entire page on the screen at one time with large enough text to read it) is important to new purchase. Thanks for feedback.

Last edited:

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
I've seen conjecture that the 12.2 should be great for reading comic books, but has anyone done so? If so, can you relate the 12.2 comic reading to the 10.1 experience? Have had a Toshiba Thrive for nearly 3 years but time to upgrade. Comic book reading (especially getting an entire page on the screen at one time with large enough text to read it) is important to new purchase. Thanks for feedback.

Yes, actually I got one two days ago and I'm still wondering if I keep it or not (don't really need a tab). One of the things I did meanwhile was reading comics. I read several of The Walking Dead comics using the free version of ComicRack, holding the tab vertically. This was one of the few things so far where my 5.5" Note 2 really didn't com close to being useful.

The size is just perfect, very crisp image, really good. You can read the whole page perfectly, using 100% of the screen. I used the volume up/down buttons to skip pages so almost didn't have to move at all.

The only problem is that it is a bit heavy to hold that way, but I guess even a 10 tablet would be, or an 8. None is as comfy a a book. Still, the reading experience itself is excellent.

Reactions: ritchea

Tension113

Dec 29, 2010
This is my 3rd tablet, which I primarily use for comics.. I have about 10k comics that I store on it.. I started with the Ipad (which I never liked because of the screen shape), then the Transformer, and now this.. and I am in love.. With the Transformer I had to use a rooted app to use up the entire screen.. That's not needed on this..

The day I got it, I put the same comic up on my 12.2 and 10 inch and what a difference.. Brighter, the text is a little crisper and it gave me that little bit of size bump that I've been wanting for the past few years.. Scrolling the Comicrack menus is super smooth and fast..

I'm not sure why I see so many people saying how heavy this thing is.. After reading some reviews originally, I was worried.. But the 12" is just as heavy as my old 10" It's really not heavy or awkward at all.. Unless you read your books while walking down the street I guess..

For me personally, who owns this just for comics, It's as perfect as it gets..

ritchea

Thanks to you both. The note 12.2 is only a few grams more than the hefty Thrive. Even though I unlock and root everything, I really don't worry about this device because my son doesn't care. He chose an iPhone because of some music syn. app but didn't even want ipad air because of comic reading. He'd never consider any computer but Apple. For a tablet, it's android. His brother (also imac and macbook pro) says his android N4 provides more productivity for his needs than his iPad 3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gsx955

Nov 23, 2012
I also had a Thrive, then a Voyo A15 to read comics...As soon as the 64 gig version is available, I am getting this. I also appreciate the comments above...it seems like this is the tablet I have been waiting for. I might just wait for the LTE version just for the Snapdragon, though. I can't wait to read on this thing!

zaptoons

Nov 26, 2011
Los Angeles
www.zaptoons.com
The size is almost a 1:1 for comic book size. I took a photo of my NP12.2 with an actual comic book over the screen and the screen is slightly taller.

07.jpg

It's easy to read a comic full page with no zooming/scrolling. Even two page spreads are readable in landscape without much zooming/scrolling needed.

06.jpg

I find the comic reading experience is supurb. (Im using Comic Rack). The screen is just beautiful! Perfectly sharp, colors are vivid and nice inky blacks.

An obvious downside is ephasized when you hold the tablet in portrait... it's heavy! Holding it too far toward the bottom puts the full weight on your hands. To me it's a minor gripe... everything is so nice about this tablet that the weight is an easily acceptable trade off.

For extended reading you'll want a reader with good tap controls to prevent a lot ofawkward balancing-while-swiping due to the weight.

Now I pretty much don't want to read comics on anything else.

Last edited:

trineomorph

Jul 7, 2011
If the price was $500 and it was marketed solely as a video viewer/comic book reader, i would tell people to run to their closest store. Reading comics on the note pro 12.2 is the best experience i've had on a tablet. No need to fidget with zooming, just read and swipe pages. Everything is bright, colorful and crsip. The weight is not that bad in my opinion, it weighs about the same as a ipad 3.

slackersink

Oct 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I had a Nexus 10 before this and both so far has been great for comics, so whichever you get, the Note 10.1 or the Pro, you should love it. For me, larger is better, so the couple of inches does make a difference.

Also, with the $25 Google Play credit you'll receive, get the full version of ComicRack. Best reader out there.

mva5580

Aug 4, 2007
The screen is great and the few graphic novels I have through the Kindle app look outstanding in full screen, it's just a damn shame that the marvel unlimited app is bad and only utilizes half of the screen. Really hope they fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Buji

Jan 9, 2007
The screen is great and the few graphic novels I have through the Kindle app look outstanding in full screen, it's just a damn shame that the marvel unlimited app is bad and only utilizes half of the screen. Really hope they fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Isn't the marvel unlimited a derivative of the comixology app? That app works fine for me....

mva5580

Aug 4, 2007
Isn't the marvel unlimited a derivative of the comixology app? That app works fine for me....

Marvel unlimited is the app for the subscription they offer to their back library as well as comics that have been released a few months back.

That comixology app worked fine, but the unlimited app just doesn't use the whole screen. Not even close, actually. Pretty disappointing that the regular marvel app works properly and the one that requires a subscription of you to use doesn't.

resipsa

Jan 14, 2007

I was absolutely shocked at how poor the marvel unlimited app looked on here. I'm really disappointed and hope this gets fixed soon as this is a perfect format for the app if it functions properly. I can deal with the bugs that the android version has always had, it usually just requires a few extra clicks to load something a second or third time, but having the scren size look the same on 7 inch or a 12 inch tablet is too much.

Out of curiosity, what other sources do people use for comics? The marvel unlimited account is my only experience with digital comics and I'm enjoying catching up on series that I haven't read in 20 years but I have a hard time seeing people paying $3-$4 per issue for new digital comics. Is this common? or our there other types of subscription services that people use?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my 3rd tablet, which I primarily use for comics.. I have about 10k comics that I store on it.. I started with the Ipad (which I never liked because of the screen shape), then the Transformer, and now this.. and I am in love.. With the Transformer I had to use a rooted app to use up the entire screen.. That's not needed on this..

The day I got it, I put the same comic up on my 12.2 and 10 inch and what a difference.. Brighter, the text is a little crisper and it gave me that little bit of size bump that I've been wanting for the past few years.. Scrolling the Comicrack menus is super smooth and fast..

I'm not sure why I see so many people saying how heavy this thing is.. After reading some reviews originally, I was worried.. But the 12" is just as heavy as my old 10" It's really not heavy or awkward at all.. Unless you read your books while walking down the street I guess..

For me personally, who owns this just for comics, It's as perfect as it gets..
    The size is almost a 1:1 for comic book size. I took a photo of my NP12.2 with an actual comic book over the screen and the screen is slightly taller.

07.jpg

It's easy to read a comic full page with no zooming/scrolling. Even two page spreads are readable in landscape without much zooming/scrolling needed.

06.jpg

I find the comic reading experience is supurb. (Im using Comic Rack). The screen is just beautiful! Perfectly sharp, colors are vivid and nice inky blacks.

An obvious downside is ephasized when you hold the tablet in portrait... it's heavy! Holding it too far toward the bottom puts the full weight on your hands. To me it's a minor gripe... everything is so nice about this tablet that the weight is an easily acceptable trade off.

For extended reading you'll want a reader with good tap controls to prevent a lot ofawkward balancing-while-swiping due to the weight.

Now I pretty much don't want to read comics on anything else.
    I've seen conjecture that the 12.2 should be great for reading comic books, but has anyone done so? If so, can you relate the 12.2 comic reading to the 10.1 experience? Have had a Toshiba Thrive for nearly 3 years but time to upgrade. Comic book reading (especially getting an entire page on the screen at one time with large enough text to read it) is important to new purchase. Thanks for feedback.

Yes, actually I got one two days ago and I'm still wondering if I keep it or not (don't really need a tab). One of the things I did meanwhile was reading comics. I read several of The Walking Dead comics using the free version of ComicRack, holding the tab vertically. This was one of the few things so far where my 5.5" Note 2 really didn't com close to being useful.

The size is just perfect, very crisp image, really good. You can read the whole page perfectly, using 100% of the screen. I used the volume up/down buttons to skip pages so almost didn't have to move at all.

The only problem is that it is a bit heavy to hold that way, but I guess even a 10 tablet would be, or an 8. None is as comfy a a book. Still, the reading experience itself is excellent.