Big Problem: Infinite Reboot when Apps installed in SD Card

Search This thread

dragon135

Jan 23, 2011
==== Update 20120215 ==========
It seems Galaxy Note also has this problem.
jager13 has posted this issue in code.google.com, so please anyone with this issue comment there so that google devs can know about it and fix it!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=25563
==========================

I believe that many of us (if not all) should have this problem.
I got so many apps installed, so many of them are installed in SD Card automatically by Android or I manually moved them to SD Card.
(In total I have ~650 app elements in Titanium Backup and keep growing depending on what I have installed or haven't restored at any given point)

The problem is since I updated from 2.3.4 to version >= 2.3.5 even to ICS 4.0.3 LP2, LP6, LPB, LPH.
Problem:
- Power On then phone will reboot after some 2-5 minutes idle and again reboot infinitely so I cannot use my phone at all.
- If I removed my external SD Card, no more reboot.
- Or if I delete some amount of .asec files in ".android_secure" folder (where the app in sd card is saved) in the external SD Card no more reboot.
- And yes, I have done many (if not all) imaginable things: re-flash, factory reset, wipe cache, fix permission, change SD Card, reinstall from market...
- And no, this is not specific SD Card problem.

There is older thread talking about this problem but the thread is about general reboot problem so it got mixed with other kind of reboot.

After trying ICS leaks in a hope that the problem is fixed I find that it is still NOT fixed
and maybe won't be fixed if not enough people complain about this problem.
And I think Samsung developers and QA don't know this issue.
It will be shame if SGS3 still has this problem. I absolutely won't buy it.

So to check this, I hope the reader of this thread to try this (Samsung based ROM > 2.3.4 only):
- Please move as many apps as you can or all of your apps to SD Card..
- Or please install as many apps as you can from market and moved them to SD Card if not already.
- The apps number is not exact (60 maybe more), more is better, maybe related with apps size too.
(I found that when my ".android_secure" folder size in external sd card approaching ~1.5GB maybe more, the reboot problem occurs)
- And then tell here that you have infinite reboot or not in idle mode 2-5 minutes after power on. Please try 2-3 times.
- Also post your ROM/kernel version, stock or mods.
- And please check that removing the external SD Card solve the reboot problem.

Remember that u have to be at least Samsung based ROM version 2.3.5 because this problem is side effect (2.3.4 and earlier does not have this problem).

For us who has this problem, please add your post to this thread to keep it alive
and don't forget to rate high so it will get attention from other users and hopefully from Samsung.

Let's make this issue known to Samsung.
And I hope that people who got firmware leaks from Samsung can tell them about this problem/thread.

List of threads mentioning same problem:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1285844
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1328191
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1102920
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1491671

Last edited:

wweeping

Nov 25, 2010
i faced exactly same problem with you, i thought is sd card problem at 1st, so i go and buy a new sd card, and the problem is still there....anyone can help us? now the sd card = nothing

Last edited:
Reactions: dragon135

essamco

Dec 15, 2011
I have this bad problem. I posted about this problem on old topics and how to remove this problem by return to old firmware with android 2.3.4.

Thank you for opening this thread because It is I think a general problem and the big problem that its happened with ICS. I tried and tried to solve this problem without success but I found that this problem start faster after transfer small size apps.
This problem must be solved, because we need to transfer apps to SD card.

Thanks again dragon135

Westie69

Jan 4, 2010
i can confirm i am another user who had no issues at 2.3.4 upgraded to ICS LP2 this evening and now have this problem! not cool....

PaulTissue

Jan 29, 2012
I have had the same problem with the following Samsung Android versions:

I have a SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S II).

I have tried several class 4 and a new class 10 made by Samsung. Same results.

After using App2SD and after moving several apps to SD, the device will eventually reboot right after the SD scan completes.

Removing the SD is the only way to fix this. You can reformat the SD card but the problem will eventually occur when you move several apps to the SD card again. I have been unable to identify a particular app that triggers this reboot.

Last edited:

dredgd

Nov 10, 2010
exactly the same issue with my Captivate

I moved more than 100 APPs to SD recently. It worked fine with Froyo. The only problem I had is the icon disappearing issue. After switching to GO launcher, everything worked fine. Today I upgrade my phone to GB (KK4, 2.3.5), and started to have the same problem. I have to unmount my SD card to keep my phone away from rebooting. With my wife's card, only data on it, my phone had no issue. Once I put my card back, it starts again.

zzzn00bzzz

Oct 2, 2008
I can confirm. This issue exists and NOT just samsung firmware. i had the same issue running MIUI. When there are too many apps (my count is 264 apps) the phone will boot, the back of the phone will get really hot and then within 2-3 minutes of booting reboot again to the same unlock or home page screen. And it will keep doing it until your battery is dead. it also drains the battery like crazy!!!

Seriously wtf?

dredgd

Nov 10, 2010
Is there a way to move those APPs back to phone? This is really annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

wuffi123

Sep 8, 2009

yes, just cut some .asec-files (as many as it needs) from the .android_secure folder an paste them into another folder, so that the phone won´t reboot anymore.
the apps according to the .asec files now won´t be shown in appdrawer.
than you install gemini app manager and move the smallest (if you have not much space on phone) or just some other apps you want back to phonememory. after that you can put the .asec files back in to the android_secure folder, so that those apps appear again in app drawer.
if phone still reboots: same precedure.
like others wrote, and my own experience: abourt 50 files in android_secure folder is ok, more: reboots.

or if you have backups from your apps in titanium:
put sd card in pc. delete all the small asec files, so that in android_secure folder remain only the biggest files. and not more than 50 files.
better only 40. than your phone should work again and you can restore those small apps with titanium, but before that, you tell titanium only to restore into internal memory.
this helps for me. but i really wouldlike to be able to install more apps an sd card! nobody??

Last edited:

dredgd

Nov 10, 2010
yes, just cut some (as many as it needs) from the .android_secure folder in anotehr folder, so that the phone won´t reboot. than you install gemini app manager and move the smallest or just some apps you want back to phone. after that you after that you can the asec files back in to zhe androis_secure folder. if phone still reboots: same precedure.
like others wrote, and my own experience: abourt 50 files in android_secure folder is ok, more: reboots.

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try tomorrow .

dragon135

Jan 23, 2011
LP6 and LPB still has this issue.
Another user has complain also in new thread. I update the first post.

For us who has this problem, please add your post to this thread to keep it alive and don't forget to rate high so it will get attention from other users and hopefully from Samsung.

Reactions: dredgd and curioct

curioct

Jan 12, 2011
As requested I also have this issue.

Seriously considering the downgrade to 2.3.4 despite the aggravation it will cause me.

dredgd

Nov 10, 2010
I transfered all of them to my laptop first and then moved them back ~20 APPs at a time. But then I got the 'phone storage space is getting low' error. Trying to fix it eventually led to a 'factory reset'. I don't have backup for all of the APPs. Without all those junks the phone was very smooth and stable. Once I restored a few APPs and moved them to SD card, I was hit by random shut-down issue but no reboot yet. Finally I figured out why my phone went to sleep almost every night with me. LOL. It happened just after I moved most of my APPs to SD. WTF.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ==== Update 20120215 ==========
    It seems Galaxy Note also has this problem.
    jager13 has posted this issue in code.google.com, so please anyone with this issue comment there so that google devs can know about it and fix it!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=25563
    ==========================

I believe that many of us (if not all) should have this problem.
    I got so many apps installed, so many of them are installed in SD Card automatically by Android or I manually moved them to SD Card.
    (In total I have ~650 app elements in Titanium Backup and keep growing depending on what I have installed or haven't restored at any given point)

The problem is since I updated from 2.3.4 to version >= 2.3.5 even to ICS 4.0.3 LP2, LP6, LPB, LPH.
    Problem:
    - Power On then phone will reboot after some 2-5 minutes idle and again reboot infinitely so I cannot use my phone at all.
    - If I removed my external SD Card, no more reboot.
    - Or if I delete some amount of .asec files in ".android_secure" folder (where the app in sd card is saved) in the external SD Card no more reboot.
    - And yes, I have done many (if not all) imaginable things: re-flash, factory reset, wipe cache, fix permission, change SD Card, reinstall from market...
    - And no, this is not specific SD Card problem.

There is older thread talking about this problem but the thread is about general reboot problem so it got mixed with other kind of reboot.

After trying ICS leaks in a hope that the problem is fixed I find that it is still NOT fixed
    and maybe won't be fixed if not enough people complain about this problem.
    And I think Samsung developers and QA don't know this issue.
    It will be shame if SGS3 still has this problem. I absolutely won't buy it.

So to check this, I hope the reader of this thread to try this (Samsung based ROM > 2.3.4 only):
    - Please move as many apps as you can or all of your apps to SD Card..
    - Or please install as many apps as you can from market and moved them to SD Card if not already.
    - The apps number is not exact (60 maybe more), more is better, maybe related with apps size too.
    (I found that when my ".android_secure" folder size in external sd card approaching ~1.5GB maybe more, the reboot problem occurs)
    - And then tell here that you have infinite reboot or not in idle mode 2-5 minutes after power on. Please try 2-3 times.
    - Also post your ROM/kernel version, stock or mods.
    - And please check that removing the external SD Card solve the reboot problem.

Remember that u have to be at least Samsung based ROM version 2.3.5 because this problem is side effect (2.3.4 and earlier does not have this problem).

For us who has this problem, please add your post to this thread to keep it alive
    and don't forget to rate high so it will get attention from other users and hopefully from Samsung.

Let's make this issue known to Samsung.
    And I hope that people who got firmware leaks from Samsung can tell them about this problem/thread.

List of threads mentioning same problem:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1285844
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1328191
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1102920
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1491671

yes, just cut some .asec-files (as many as it needs) from the .android_secure folder an paste them into another folder, so that the phone won´t reboot anymore.
    the apps according to the .asec files now won´t be shown in appdrawer.
    than you install gemini app manager and move the smallest (if you have not much space on phone) or just some other apps you want back to phonememory. after that you can put the .asec files back in to the android_secure folder, so that those apps appear again in app drawer.
    if phone still reboots: same precedure.

or if you have backups from your apps in titanium:
    put sd card in pc. delete all the small asec files, so that in android_secure folder remain only the biggest files. and not more than 50 files.
    better only 40. than your phone should work again and you can restore those small apps with titanium, but before that, you tell titanium only to restore into internal memory.
    this helps for me. but i really wouldlike to be able to install more apps an sd card! nobody??
    LP6 and LPB still has this issue.
    Another user has complain also in new thread. I update the first post.

For us who has this problem, please add your post to this thread to keep it alive and don't forget to rate high so it will get attention from other users and hopefully from Samsung.
    i faced exactly same problem with you, i thought is sd card problem at 1st, so i go and buy a new sd card, and the problem is still there....anyone can help us? now the sd card = nothing
    There is a lot of reports about problems with random reboots scattered all over the internet. This thread is about random reboots, that happen, after a large number of applications (number varies from device to device, as it seems, usually >130) has been installed on the SDcard. If you don't have an SDcard, then your problem must be something else.

So, I have experienced strong lagging after rebooting my device. And soon, OH NOOOHHHH, it started again, with the constant reboots. This is inspite of having 4.0.4 (as part of the Amazing Sense v1.2) installed. However, something is different. While before the CPU would be always at max. speed, now it varies in speed. Maybe due to a different bug, that I trigger now or due to some different behaviour of how Amazing Sense behaves.