[Q] Phone bricked! Can someone point me to the right direction?

Search This thread

McMichael96

Jun 20, 2012
Little Rock
So I was restoring to a RUU a while ago in an attempt to get S-Off. Well it didn't work out and it failed half-way during RUUing.

When I connect the computer, Windows detects it as "QHSUSB_DLOAD". Parallels detects it as a "Qualcomm Composite" device and I can tell Ubuntu and OS X is detecting it by running dmesg. I've tried two unbricking methods on Ubuntu, am I doing something wrong? I just wanna be able to be able to turn it on and have it working. Can someone help me?

McMichael96

Jun 20, 2012
Little Rock
Couple of things. First witch ruu did you run. Second what unbricking methods did you try. And third were you s off before the ruu or s on.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I ran
Code:
RUU_EVITA_UL_JB_45_S_Cingular_US_3.18.502.6_Radio_0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34_release_signed_With_Partial.exe

I tried "HTC Unbricking Project" and a fix from here

I was S-ON before running the RUU

I tried the fixes in 64bit ubuntu 13.04 via parallels.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
You've bricked your phone, it's very well documented within our forum that s-on + SuperCID + jb RUU = brick. Your only option now is to have a jtag repair done unfortunately. Out of interest, what made you think you needed to (or could) run that RUU in other to get s-off, or before having s-off?

PS. I see now that only after bricking your phone are you reading the PSA that states not to run that RUU while s-on. It's a bit late now, but this is case in point why research needs to be done before the fact.

Sent from my Evita

Last edited:

McMichael96

Jun 20, 2012
Little Rock
You've bricked your phone, it's very well documented within our forum that s-on + SuperCID + jb RUU = brick. Your only option now is to have a jtag repair done unfortunately. Out of interest, what made you think you needed to (or could) run that RUU in other to get s-off, or before having s-off?

PS. I see now that only after bricking your phone are you reading the PSA that states not to run that RUU while s-on. It's a bit late now, but this is case in point why research needs to be done before the fact.

Sent from my Evita

I cannot remember because it's been quite a while before I attempted this, but I followed a Tutorial on xda of how to do s-off.

----edit

and I didn't believe I could obtain S-Off through just running the ruu, according to the post I read it had to be done. Also I remember resetting my CID (if that's even possible). I did something with it before doing this as the post said to do so.

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I hate to say it, but there isn't a single tutorial within our forum that states you need to run that RUU in order to get s-off, I know because I've read every single thread in our forum and am experienced with this device. The only mention of this RUU in regards to s-off is to avoid it if you're s-on, because clearly it bricks s-on devices.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

What do you mean you did "something" with it? Did you even check your CID after supposedly resetting it? Your "if that's even possible" statement doesn't really instill much confidence that you really knew what you were doing at the time.

Sent from my Evita

McMichael96

Jun 20, 2012
Little Rock
Alright, could you point me in the right direct for jtag repair? Or to buy the tools to do it myself? I wanna learn this type of thing because I may get a job repairing phones soon. (which it's really just replacing screens but I'd like the knowledge anyway)

McMichael96

Jun 20, 2012
Little Rock
I hate to say it, but there isn't a single tutorial within our forum that states you need to run that RUU in order to get s-off, I know because I've read every single thread in our forum and am experienced with this device. The only mention of this RUU in regards to s-off is to avoid it if you're s-on, because clearly it bricks s-on devices.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

What do you mean you did "something" with it? Did you even check your CID after supposedly resetting it? Your "if that's even possible" statement doesn't really instill much confidence that you really knew what you were doing at the time.

Sent from my Evita

Well I'm pretty sure it was reset but since you said the only way to fix it was through jtag repair, I figured it wasn't possible and what I read wasn't true (since you seem to be an active member and know what you're talking about)

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I wouldn't suggest you even attempt doing a jtag repair unless you're already well versed in the process. In the US it should only cost you about $50 through xda user zarboz.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

So you didn't actually check the CID after the attempt to reset it?

Sent from my Evita

McMichael96

Jun 20, 2012
Little Rock
I wouldn't suggest you even attempt doing a jtag repair unless you're already well versed in the process. In the US it should only cost you about $50 through xda user zarboz.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

So you didn't actually check the CID after the attempt to reset it?

Sent from my Evita

I remember the CID said to be what it was supposed to be. I wouldn't have attempted the RUU if I wasn't for sure I was doing it exactly like the post said. I wish I could find the post, it's been a while since I've attempted this. The only reason I didn't really work on it after I bricked it was I got caught up in doing other things and I forgot about it.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ok, well if your CID did indeed revert to the original CID there's no logical reason why the RUU would brick your phone. You could have just gotten very unlucky, it's very rare but an RUU can brick a device for seemingly no reason. Contact zarboz and enquire about him doing a jtag for you, he's a good guy. If you can find that post/thread though it'd be great, I'm very curious to see what it says.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

When you get your phone back, hit me up in my help thread (in my signature) if you need to get anything done, I'm always happy to help.

Sent from my Evita

Reactions: McMichael96

McMichael96

Jun 20, 2012
Little Rock
Alright thanks! I'm actually debating on if I should go through with this. $50 is a great price but it also has a crack in the screen and I was intending on eventually selling it.

I'm not sure if after getting it repaired via jtag and replacing the screen that it'll even be worth my time in the long run ha

But I'll keep this guy in mind, let's say my Galaxy S4 gets in a similar situation (gosh I hope not, I'll take more precautions from here on out) but incase it does can he repair all phone brands that need jtag-repaired?

nem1yan

Jan 18, 2011
San Antonio
I'd suggest contacting HTC as well just in case. I had a QHSUSB_DLOAD brick & I called them and they fixed it for me. I know another user here who had similar results with a bricked device. I called and told them it cut off and wouldn't cut back on. They completely reset the phone, but all I had to pay for was shipping.

Sent from my One X

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, well if your CID did indeed revert to the original CID there's no logical reason why the RUU would brick your phone. You could have just gotten very unlucky, it's very rare but an RUU can brick a device for seemingly no reason. Contact zarboz and enquire about him doing a jtag for you, he's a good guy. If you can find that post/thread though it'd be great, I'm very curious to see what it says.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

When you get your phone back, hit me up in my help thread (in my signature) if you need to get anything done, I'm always happy to help.

Sent from my Evita