Cave Story

Search This thread

spenceizzle

Dec 12, 2008
St. Louis, MO
One of my favorite games, I know it has been ported to some low power operating systems (such as a TI calculator), so how hard would it be to make it android native? Maybe we can emulate it through one of the operating systems its ported to? Thoughts anyone?

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
Feels good man

I was wondering this stuff myself. I've got a Rhodium I was thinking of booting Rhobuntu on just so I could carry Cave Story with me everywhere. I was also looking into GP2X emulators for Android in case that would let me play Cave Story on my Rhodium via XAndroid, but a native Android app would be ideal. Bounty? I'd pitch in for a port.

zerojay

Aug 3, 2010
The source for Cave Story was taken down when it was announced that there was a version being made for WiiWare.

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
Last edited:

xperia64

Mar 19, 2012
play.google.com
I know this thread is a tad old but actually, i am trying to port cave story to android. It will be open source when it is released as required by gpl (anyone wanting the source now can pm me). I have it loading into "safe mode" so far as the data directories still have to be defined manually as far as i know. Another bug i found is that it will not even load up in landscape mode at the moment. Its a problem with SDL_blit_N.c according to my crash reports. Attached is a screenshot of what i have working so far. As this is open source, any help with this project will be appreciated. Again, just PM me for the source.

Attachments

• shot_000024.jpg
    shot_000024.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 551
Reactions: 5318008

754boy

Sep 28, 2008
Shaw, MS
I know this thread is a tad old but actually, i am trying to port cave story to android. It will be open source when it is released as required by gpl (anyone wanting the source now can pm me). I have it loading into "safe mode" so far as the data directories still have to be defined manually as far as i know. Another bug i found is that it will not even load up in landscape mode at the moment. Its a problem with SDL_blit_N.c according to my crash reports. Attached is a screenshot of what i have working so far. As this is open source, any help with this project will be appreciated. Again, just PM me for the source.

Hey good luck with getting it running man! Need any beta testers, I'd be willing to help out :D

exautt

Mar 14, 2008
Coloma
bump. any news here? This is the most recent activity anywhere online i can find about this endeavor. I'm not a game designer nor android programmer, just a cave story fan.

dbaf14

May 4, 2010
how about a petition?
just to let the publisher wakeup and to know that they could make also money on the android & ios section with it!:D

iam sure ALOT of people will sign!

dbaf14

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
how about a petition?
just to let the publisher wakeup and to know that they could make also money on the android & ios section with it!:D

iam sure ALOT of people will sign!

dbaf14

If someone can figure out how to get one going somewhere and get the fellow's attention, post the link and I'll sign it.

dbaf14

May 4, 2010
someone can suggest a good petition platform/site?
just need to reach alot of cave story fans with it /easy signature possibility and good overview layout:thumbup:

dbaf14

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR

dbaf14

May 4, 2010
isnt this old info??

i tried this using wiimote connected to my galaxy note with xperiaPlay control settings ...but i expected to much..the sound is horrible laggy. ..

rly this should be portet well from the root! its worth for the developer i think!:thumbup:

dbaf14

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
Wow, it looks great on my Droid 3! I don't think I'm getting any sound though, and trying to remap keys in the menu or pressing any hard keys other than arrows FCs the app. Too bad, as it looks like my phone is more than capable of handling a fully working version. I've even got hard keys, just not the right ones. It's painful to be so close but still so far from playing Cave Story on my phone. Thanks for keeping us up to date on stuff like this.

EDIT: sound works great! I forgot there's no sound in the opening scene, I had to let the start menu load first. No stutter or anything, if my keyboard worked in-game I'd be set.

SECOND EDIT: I was able to start a game and assign keys! The app crashes when I press most buttons, but it recognizes my arrow keys and the ok, shift, alt, voice, search, and at keys, so I'm all set. Won't let me remap them though, and now that I'm playing it does seem to be running at about half speed. Not that there's any lag, everything seems to just move more slowly, though the music plays full speed.

--posted from my phone

Last edited:

moocow1452

Nov 16, 2011
Livonia
Nintendo exclusivity clause has the original developer by the balls, similar to Notch being locked into xBox Live Arcade and having to stop work on pocket edition of minecraft. What we have is the game patches and an engine cobbled together out of older source. I'll try and get some responses from the people who got the Raspberry Pink version working, and see what can be done.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: 5318008

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
This is great! There's a sound effect fix, and the latest version fixes button assignments and has the game running full speed, though the window has shrunk by half. I'm registering there tomorrow so I can post updates. I can't believe I'm playing Cave Story on my phone!

--posted from my phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Back from the dead...

Just gonna leave this here...

http://nxengine.sourceforge.net/
    Nintendo exclusivity clause has the original developer by the balls, similar to Notch being locked into xBox Live Arcade and having to stop work on pocket edition of minecraft. What we have is the game patches and an engine cobbled together out of older source. I'll try and get some responses from the people who got the Raspberry Pink version working, and see what can be done.

This is great! There's a sound effect fix, and the latest version fixes button assignments and has the game running full speed, though the window has shrunk by half. I'm registering there tomorrow so I can post updates. I can't believe I'm playing Cave Story on my phone!

--posted from my phone

Might be able to fix that by going into the data folder, and deleting settings.dat, I think it is. Should take your resolution back to normal.