[Q] Any way to get WCDMA/LTE only mode?

Search This thread

fergietime

Mar 26, 2014
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a "WCDMA/LTE Only" mode on the Nexus 5?

I basically want to stop the phone dropping to 2G. Recently LTE has been made available here and before that I used "WCDMA only" and it worked fine but that is no longer a viable option since I want to use LTE.

Thanks in advance

fergietime

Mar 26, 2014
Can't you just switch off 2g dialing 3646?

Sent by mobile telephone.

You mean using *#*#4636#*#*? Could you explain how to do this?

So you don't want to be able to make phone calls?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I do, but I can use 3G to do this. I mean I don't want it to drop to EDGE.

The reason is, in Ireland the network provider Three does not have a 2G network and roams to Vodafone when it 3G isn't available. It then will not automatically change back to 3G. You need to manually select the Three network again.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
you have no option then. you have either lte only, which gets you data and no phone calls, or you have lte/gsm. on gsm/lte, itll switch to whatever is your best signal.

Last edited:

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
Wouldn't it be easier to choose the operator manually?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

fergietime

Mar 26, 2014
you have no option then. you have either lte only, which gets you data and no phone calls, or you have lte/gsm. on gsm/lte, itll switch to whatever is your best signal.

That's what I thought. I was just hoping there was some custom software of some sort that would solve my problem.

Wouldn't it be easier to choose the operator manually?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

It still jumps to vodafone when there is poor signal, even when manually selected. If there was a way of forcing it to stay with one operator or disable roaming completely, then that would do but there doesn't seem to be an option.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
There is on my phone

Sent from my Nexus 5

When looking in SlimKat (admittedly not stock), it is @fergietime suggests, national data roaming and would still allow the phone to roam to another operator when there was no signal on the existing operator - just with no data. However, I am not seeing a problem with that. It only roams nationally when there is 0 signal for voice on your operator?

fergietime

Mar 26, 2014
When looking in SlimKat (admittedly not stock), it is @fergietime suggests, national data roaming and would still allow the phone to roam to another operator when there was no signal on the existing operator - just with no data. However, I am not seeing a problem with that. It only roams nationally when there is 0 signal for voice on your operator?

Yes, but it happens me quite often due to certain places that I pass through. My operator does not have a 2G network at all so roams once it drops below 3G. The main problem is, I need to manually search for networks and select my network to get it back to 3G/4G. It's a network issue that Three Ireland refuse to acknowledge. It has been happening for 4 years at least. I am just looking for a workaround.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Yes, but it happens me quite often due to certain places that I pass through. My operator does not have a 2G network at all so roams once it drops below 3G. The main problem is, I need to manually search for networks and select my network to get it back to 3G/4G. It's a network issue that Three Ireland refuse to acknowledge. It has been happening for 4 years at least. I am just looking for a workaround.

I see.

I am also on Three (UK though) so also have no 2G coverage. and yes, when it fails over to 2G (Orange in UK) it is a pain to get it back.

fergietime

Mar 26, 2014
I see.

I am also on Three (UK though) so also have no 2G coverage. and yes, when it fails over to 2G (Orange in UK) it is a pain to get it back.

It's a very frustrating issue. It actually NEVER jumps back to Three and it changes to Vodafone nearly every time I go inside a Tesco or somewhere like that. I then have to search and wait for it to find networks so I can select Three. The only time it seems to work correctly is when using a device bought from Three or a Three rom, which obviously for the Nexus 5 doesn't exist. And even then people complain about it so it's a bit hit and miss.