Google Chrome - suspend_backoff kernel wakelock

Search This thread

eradicator006

Aug 29, 2011
I don't have bookmark sync and still managed to get it. Once on my SGS2 and once on my Note.

Hasn't happened since on either device after I stopped running Chrome (still installed though).

Hmmm, that's odd. I've been using chrome with no sync for 2 days and haven't had the dreaded wakelock. 30 minutes ago I signed in to chrome sync and currently have had the suspend_backoff wakelock for 26 minutes. As soon as I sign out of chrome sync and reboot the phone, no more wakelock.

Webby1979

Sep 30, 2011
I can confirm this problem and thank this topic for the solution. Turned off internet synch under Google account and my battery was stable again for the last 2 hours.

Northern-Loop

Nov 30, 2009
Here's the real solution for the chrome problem

productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/rT0ewNsBx18/0_RqLGBQr70J

And for the lazy users:

All,
I found that using Chrome for Android would, at times, drain my battery in the background substantially, to the point where it would be the first or second highest "reason" listed for battery drain, even when I hadn't opened the app all day.

Thanks to Badass Battery Monitor, I found that Chrome was using the Gyroscope in the background. This doesn't make any sense, so I assume it's a bug.

Here are the steps I used to resolve it:

1. Open up Chrome
2. Go to Settings
3. Select "Developer tools"
4. Uncheck "Enable Tilt Scrolling"
5. Reboot the phone

This seems to have resolved all battery draining issues I had with Chrome. I just wanted to post about it in case anyone else is having the issue, and so that Google is aware there is an issue and can resolve it in the future release.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/rT0ewNsBx18/0_RqLGBQr70J

eradicator006

Aug 29, 2011

Looks like this fixed it for me. I remember reading about that way back when chrome first came to android. Wish I would've remembered it sooner. I can finally go back to using chrome w/ sync again.

Thanks.

Reactions: Eyedoctor2

afk47

Oct 11, 2011
After having a slew of battery draining problems for months, I fixed it and was able to run almost 2 days on a single charge...then all of a sudden recently I started noticing it was draining after 1 day. Didn't realize Chrome was doing this, but did see that suspended_backoff was the culprit. Thanks for the advice.

tosheeba

Apr 13, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi Poco F3
So it's confirmed that it's enough to disable tilt scrolling or do I still need to disable chrome sync to solve the suspend backoff wakelock issue?

Going to try just by disabling tilt scrolling which I don't need and see if the wakelock gets solved with sync enabled.

GalaxyGusta

Feb 11, 2012
Just use dolphins or something like that
Chrome is **** anyway

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

sphynxx

Sep 28, 2010
Disabling tilt in chrome did not solve my issue.Totally uninstalling chrome did.
Also,same issue appears with firefox sync.

So now i'm on stock browser,no wakelocks whatsoever.:good:

Zainiak

Jul 1, 2012
Even uninstalling chrome didn't help for me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

beboo55

Dec 16, 2006
Even uninstalling chrome didn't help for me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

same to me, i am still having the same issue, even after uninstalling chrome, but that wakelock happens only when i am connected to work WiFi, hopefully someone will find a solution soon

supreethms

Apr 6, 2012
Bangalore
Just a quick warning, since installing Google Chrome on my S3 I'm constantly having a suspend_backoff kernel wakelock. This wakelock isn't in BetterBatteryStats untill you launch Google Chrome and exit it. Turn of your screen for half an hour or so and check back in BetterBatteryStats, you now will see the suspend_backoff kernel wakelock for the whole screen off time. Taken me a whole Saturday to find out it was Google Chrome causing this issue, so just a quick warning. I don't know if you guys have the same issue, but it's worth a check because it kills your battery.

Oh boy!!
I used to lose 10% charge every night(in my 4 hours sleep though).
Now, i lose hardly 2%.
You!! Yes.. you!! You're a god damn genius..
xD

Last edited:

AndCycle

Dec 1, 2009
fix the problem by isolate broadcast storm

I have got the same issue and I found many threads talking about disable this, disable that,
none of them correct fix the issue in my case,
because this is one of the search result in first page of google,
so I gonna hijack this thread, post my way to fix the issue in my case here,

my cellphone is Sony Xperia V,
Stock 4.1.2 kernel,
build 9.1.A.0.492,
AP Asus RT-N66U

I have tried many things to figure this out,
factory reset,
disable Chrome tilt,
gtalk connect issue,
put suspicious built-in fancy app into disable,
and many many other thing,

after a really long try-error play, about 4 days,
I found BetterBatteryStats always show heavy usage about suspend_backupoff under wifi,
so I put wifi off, let it connect to 3G network, nothing, suspend_backupoff won't show up,

do I get same issue like samsung have a buggy wifi driver in one of the firmware?
it doesn't looks like so because no one else complain about this on Xperia V,

in the mean time I just tried JuiceDefender to put wifi off in 15 mins schedule just to save some battery,
but JD told me that "Data traffic detected, delaying disable",

oops, what the heck? is there some background transfer in my setup?
that shouldn't happened because most of my app has been get rid out,

then I open up SystemPanel, take a peek about real-time network usage,
found out there are about 60Kbps/s data flood into my phone,
installed NetStat and it doesn't show up any running connection that consumed that much data,

I clean up my home lan setup, left only my phone connect to internet,
then everything is normal, no extreme suspend_backupoff show up under wifi,

well, looks like one of my family computer got a program storming everyone else on lan,
after isolated that computer my problem is gone,

so suspend_backupoff can be triggered if you got excessive network broadcast or similar traffic toward your phone,
this's my case, hope it help someone else.

coolpixs4

Mar 7, 2011
same to me, i am still having the same issue, even after uninstalling chrome, but that wakelock happens only when i am connected to work WiFi, hopefully someone will find a solution soon

I have got the same issue and I found many threads talking about disable this, disable that,

well, looks like one of my family computer got a program storming everyone else on lan,

so suspend_backupoff can be triggered if you got excessive network broadcast or similar traffic toward your phone,

----
I have this issues too; even I'm not have google chrome in my phone
that wakelock happens only when i am connected to WiFi
It draws battery power constantly about -73mAh~78mAh all time in screen off with WiFi on (not happen if WiFi off)

So, i also have many time to isolate the issue
Final, by clean and remove all Access Point listed in WiFi and scan - make new connect internet

it seems solve the problem

Jul 6, 2013
This is a real handy tip!
-Nice one, thanks for the help, I bet a LOTTA people could benefit from this..!
-Should be somehow made a recent or top post or wherever eh.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Dangermous79

May 24, 2012
I had same problem and i figured out what it was just in case everyone else has still got this problem. Im using htc one and in advanced wifi settings you have enable for best wifi performance. With this setting on i get the wakelock with it off i dont. I also noticed no difference in speeds with on so it will be staying off.
Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: kouangooo

hv6478

Apr 14, 2009
I had same problem and i figured out what it was just in case everyone else has still got this problem. Im using htc one and in advanced wifi settings you have enable for best wifi performance. With this setting on i get the wakelock with it off i dont. I also noticed no difference in speeds with on so it will be staying off.
Hope this helps someone.

WiFi settings > Menu > Advanced > Scanning Always Available

Turn OFF that option, wake-locks should stop (for most).

puiatmp

I have no Google Chrome but have same problem

Just a quick warning, since installing Google Chrome on my S3 I'm constantly having a suspend_backoff kernel wakelock. This wakelock isn't in BetterBatteryStats untill you launch Google Chrome and exit it. Turn of your screen for half an hour or so and check back in BetterBatteryStats, you now will see the suspend_backoff kernel wakelock for the whole screen off time. Taken me a whole Saturday to find out it was Google Chrome causing this issue, so just a quick warning. I don't know if you guys have the same issue, but it's worth a check because it kills your battery.

Hey all, i havent google chrome on my android but have this issue all the time...

See my post and my screens:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53756694&postcount=5175

Looks like been google play services and dont chrome....

Tks and regards!!!!

bso44

Oct 2, 2010
This wakelock has been driving me nuts the past few days on my 2013 Nexus 7. Tried all the various fixes in this thread but no dice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

And for the lazy users:

All,
    I found that using Chrome for Android would, at times, drain my battery in the background substantially, to the point where it would be the first or second highest "reason" listed for battery drain, even when I hadn't opened the app all day.

Thanks to Badass Battery Monitor, I found that Chrome was using the Gyroscope in the background. This doesn't make any sense, so I assume it's a bug.

Here are the steps I used to resolve it:

1. Open up Chrome
    2. Go to Settings
    3. Select "Developer tools"
    4. Uncheck "Enable Tilt Scrolling"
    5. Reboot the phone

This seems to have resolved all battery draining issues I had with Chrome. I just wanted to post about it in case anyone else is having the issue, and so that Google is aware there is an issue and can resolve it in the future release.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/rT0ewNsBx18/0_RqLGBQr70J

fix the problem by isolate broadcast storm

my cellphone is Sony Xperia V,
    Stock 4.1.2 kernel,
    build 9.1.A.0.492,
    AP Asus RT-N66U

I have tried many things to figure this out,
    factory reset,
    disable Chrome tilt,
    gtalk connect issue,
    put suspicious built-in fancy app into disable,
    and many many other thing,

after a really long try-error play, about 4 days,
    I found BetterBatteryStats always show heavy usage about suspend_backupoff under wifi,
    so I put wifi off, let it connect to 3G network, nothing, suspend_backupoff won't show up,

do I get same issue like samsung have a buggy wifi driver in one of the firmware?
    it doesn't looks like so because no one else complain about this on Xperia V,

in the mean time I just tried JuiceDefender to put wifi off in 15 mins schedule just to save some battery,
    but JD told me that "Data traffic detected, delaying disable",

oops, what the heck? is there some background transfer in my setup?
    that shouldn't happened because most of my app has been get rid out,

then I open up SystemPanel, take a peek about real-time network usage,
    found out there are about 60Kbps/s data flood into my phone,
    installed NetStat and it doesn't show up any running connection that consumed that much data,

I have the same issue with my SGS2.

Currently I'm on the latest google chrome, the non-beta one, and I still have this issue. Completely drained my battery overnight.

How do you guys know suspend_backoff is related to chrome?

A day of testing and deleting every app to exclude every possibility. Running Chrome results in the wakelock, deleted Chrome, ran every other app on my S3 and still no wakelock. Installed Chrome again, ran it and tada wakelock again.