case recommendations please (protection needed)

Search This thread

rye

Jan 25, 2009
Thank you brad s. :D

I'm too already ordered it and they are shipping to me using ups service. Should be here in 2 weeks I supposed.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Souai

Jun 28, 2011
Adelaide
Doesn't the UAG hard cardboard in it? What's the deal the with that?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

the only cardboard in the case is the optional coloured insert that is included. aside from that, all pieces that come in direct contact with your case are tpu. the polycarbonate shell on the rear does not come into direct contact with your device, and instead serves its purpose by distributing the force of impact evenly across the case so it can be absorbed by the TPU.

its quite a good case.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011

Brad, do you actually have this case and can take pictures and review it, please? I'm having a hard time believing this is a real Griffin Survivor case because 1) Griffin never made one for Note 2 (check their website or Amazon or even Google - zero searches), 2) original Survivor cost around $50 while this is is $9 from China which you can also buy in bulk of 100+ for $7 :)

But with all that said, I'm very intrigued how close they designed this knock off?

Last edited:

TheBDub

Jun 9, 2008
Corvallis, OR
I bought one, it'll be 3 weeks before I get it, I'll write a review when it comes in.

I'm assuming its a knock off, but if it doesn't creak and the portholes fit, I'll be happy.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I bought one, it'll be 3 weeks before I get it, I'll write a review when it comes in.

I'm assuming its a knock off, but if it doesn't creak and the portholes fit, I'll be happy.

Now how funny would it be if this knock off has a great screen protector built into the case and it actually works better than pos Defender? lol!!! Will look forward to your review. Don't forget to post it!!!

TheBDub

Jun 9, 2008
Corvallis, OR
Now how funny would it be if this knock off has a great screen protector built into the case and it actually works better than pos Defender? lol!!! Will look forward to your review. Don't forget to post it!!!

I won't forget, and:

IMO both otterboxes suck for this phone. I have both, as well as the casemate tough case. As much as the casemate's cuts don't line up absolutely perfect, it's the only useable one out of the three cases. Embarrassing.

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado
Brad, do you actually have this case and can take pictures and review it, please? I'm having a hard time believing this is a real Griffin Survivor case because 1) Griffin never made one for Note 2 (check their website or Amazon or even Google - zero searches), 2) original Survivor cost around $50 while this is is $9 from China which you can also buy in bulk of 100+ for $7 :)

But with all that said, I'm very intrigued how close they designed this knock off?
No, sorry vectron, I know how much you love cases, but I was just helping Rye out with a clickable link.
I was going to order it, but I too am worried about the validity.
@TheBDub or @Rye - Has your credit card been charged for the order? Were you provided with a tracking number?

rye

Jan 25, 2009
Hello

Yes. My vredit card has been charged and since I opted for ups delivery. I've been given a tracking number. Right now my case is in guang Zhou

Aby_148

Feb 22, 2013
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Also ordered

Also ordered the "Survivor" (*** ""Survivor?"" :eek: ), with DHL shipping from TVC. Seems like a legit, in fact huge company.
Added a bunch of other cheap chinese stuff, because the shipment was over 30$ to Israel. Paypaled it. Still worth it, I hope.

How bad could it be? It's got 4 parts, at least one of them would become usable... ;)
Could also be very good.

They got a replacement battery for 3$. I didn't dare but maybe I should have.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Also ordered the "Survivor" (*** ""Survivor?"" :eek: ), with DHL shipping from TVC. Seems like a legit, in fact huge company.
Added a bunch of other cheap chinese stuff, because the shipment was over 30$ to Israel. Paypaled it. Still worth it, I hope.

How bad could it be? It's got 4 parts, at least one of them would become usable... ;)
Could also be very good.

That is a hefty shipping cost, probably because DHL with tracking? And I assume one shipping cost to cover all the items?

Regarding how bad could it be, I have a feeling its going to be this case (2nd case I reviewed here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36730711&postcount=714) with a different outer soft rubber shell, glued in screen protector, and a belt clip. I would be really curious to see how that screen protector is working. The gap under Defender screen protector with a phone screen was so unbearable that it completely ruined my experience with that case - I was more than happy to return it back to the store.

@ Brad S: believe it or not, for 2+ years of owning my DX I was using $3 tpu case from ebay and $0.99 sp and never gave much about cases or any other accessories. Now since getting GN2 a few months ago, I feel like I was bitten by a bug. I'm very happy with my UAG case, but still want to review and to play with other cases and accessories.

Reactions: Brad.S.

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado
Haha.. Interesting scenario. More expensive phone, and you spend more on cases for it than the dx costs :silly: I've gotten bit by this bug as well. In this case it is probably better to refer to it as a super bug lol.. I spend more time in the accessories forum than anywhere else now & days.
Well I'm pretty excited for you to get a Trident so I can see some pics! ;)

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Haha.. Interesting scenario. More expensive phone, and you spend more on cases for it than the dx costs :silly: I've gotten bit by this bug as well. In this case it is probably better to refer to it as a super bug lol.. I spend more time in the accessories forum than anywhere else now & days.
Well I'm pretty excited for you to get a Trident so I can see some pics! ;)

Yeah, I'm kind of looking forward to that too. A lot of people refer to Aegis as having the same level of protection as commuter/uag, yet with a better grip and slimmer. I gotta see that... I might even do Tough/UAG/Aegis face off comparison. Will even weight each one since my wife just got a digital scale from Costco lol!!!

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado
Yeah, I'm kind of looking forward to that too. A lot of people refer to Aegis as having the same level of protection as commuter/uag, yet with a better grip and slimmer. I gotta see that... I might even do Tough/UAG/Aegis face off comparison. Will even weight each one since my wife just got a digital scale from Costco lol!!!

Lmao!
I'll be looking forward to the review! Has the trident already shipped?
I held an S3 with one and it felt nice... I just don't care for the large lint-trapping logo in the back. But, I guess the same could be said for UAG. I have a tough for my Skyrocket and I like it. Simple/clean looking case.. But after a year with it, the color is starting to shred off in small places. You can tell I always set it on the desk face up..
I printed a S3 case, but it's more of an eye catcher then an actual protective case. I need to start working on printing one for this beast lol

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado
My gf just got a package via Hong Kong post that she ordered on the Second of this month.
So, it took more-or-less 20 days.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Lmao!
I'll be looking forward to the review! Has the trident already shipped?
I held an S3 with one and it felt nice... I just don't care for the large lint-trapping logo in the back. But, I guess the same could be said for UAG. I have a tough for my Skyrocket and I like it. Simple/clean looking case.. But after a year with it, the color is starting to shred off in small places. You can tell I always set it on the desk face up..
I printed a S3 case, but it's more of an eye catcher then an actual protective case. I need to start working on printing one for this beast lol

Printed S3 case, as in 3D printed? (per your other post in UAG thread). I like Tough for Note 2, super slim and does offer an acceptable in-door protection (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37884573&postcount=105), but for outside drop protection I would trust UAG more. In general Tough will be better than most of the other slim cases. Aegis has shipped, and I should have it next week. I'm also getting a new Arkon slim grip ultra car mount. Will be a busy week with reviews.

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado
Printed S3 case, as in 3D printed? (per your other post in UAG thread). I like Tough for Note 2, super slim and does offer an acceptable in-door protection (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37884573&postcount=105), but for outside drop protection I would trust UAG more. In general Tough will be better than most of the other slim cases. Aegis has shipped, and I should have it next week. I'm also getting a new Arkon slim grip ultra car mount. Will be a busy week with reviews.

Yeah! I'll try to attach a pic to this post. I found a design and made my own version of it lol. It came out ok.. not my best or most intense print.
Sounds like a busy week! I know you never do, but I'll say it anyway, don't slouch on the pics! No matter what. Haha..

Last edited:

Aby_148

Feb 22, 2013
Redmi Note 9 Pro
That is a hefty shipping cost, probably because DHL with tracking? And I assume one shipping cost to cover all the items?
Yes, and yes. I also got a simple charging dock and a bike mount.

The gap under Defender screen protector with a phone screen was so unbearable that it completely ruined my experience with that case - I was more than happy to return it back to the store.
Exactly why I was so excited to find another full protection inclosure case (Is it true Otterbox have a patent on on that? that's crazy), at a reasonable price. The defender is just not good enough, apparently.

TheBDub

Jun 9, 2008
Corvallis, OR
Yes, and yes. I also got a simple charging dock and a bike mount.

Exactly why I was so excited to find another full protection inclosure case (Is it true Otterbox have a patent on on that? that's crazy), at a reasonable price. The defender is just not good enough, apparently.

I looked after I posted that, I don't think they do, since griffin uses one on their survivor line

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought a knock off from China also about 10 days ago just using china post. I am looking for a holder for my car that will hold the note 2 along with this survivor case hard monted or with suction cups. So I can use the gps driving down the road. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Note²

Posted review here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2174449

Will work perfectly!!!

Could also be very good.

Regarding how bad could it be, I have a feeling its going to be this case (2nd case I reviewed here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36730711&postcount=714) with a different outer soft rubber shell, glued in screen protector, and a belt clip. I would be really curious to see how that screen protector is working. The gap under Defender screen protector with a phone screen was so unbearable that it completely ruined my experience with that case - I was more than happy to return it back to the store.

@ Brad S: believe it or not, for 2+ years of owning my DX I was using $3 tpu case from ebay and $0.99 sp and never gave much about cases or any other accessories. Now since getting GN2 a few months ago, I feel like I was bitten by a bug. I'm very happy with my UAG case, but still want to review and to play with other cases and accessories.
    Thank you so much :D

Chinese Survivor review - Note 2

Got the Chinese Survivor today, with DHL (super quick, superb service, and I paid for it).

Bottom line: Far from having any elegance in shape or feel, this big plastic/rubber contraption protects your phone really well.

It took me some moments of reflection to align myself with reality - it is what it is, a cheap Chinese knockoff model that doesn't even exist yet by the original company. :) Isn't it nuts?

The rubber feels toyish and cheap, not up to the standard of the device it covers. I'm just being sincere here, on any scale - it's kinda crappy.
    Very sticky though, doesn't slide (face up or down), but can be a real struggle to pocket. The w/h dimensions aren't too crazy, but overall thickness is sick.
    With only the inner hard plastic, the phone is already protected well. Then the outer rubber and front screen cover lock in. After careful setup everything sits well and secure.

All the cutouts (S-pen, earphones, USB, camera) have retractable rubber seals that fit good, even though the cut lines are a bit shaggy. The seals' flexible parts are kinda flimsy, I hope they won't break overtime.
    I had to enlarge the opening for my Sennheiser earphones' plug (it's a big one), 1 easy minute with a carving knife, no prob.
    Buttons work great, access is quick and sensitive.

The screen It is a thin flexible plastic film on a frame, and again, feels and looks cheap, but works well, sits tight, and the touch response is very good - not perfect, but I fear it's as good as it gets with this type of case.
    (I'm a tinkerer, so I'm thinking of one of those glass options to replace it. But if I'll go that way, maybe also a new, sleek bumper, that is easier on the eyes, and forget the whole thing...)

The belt clip is very usable - rotates and locks in open or closed positions. I like the design, but you get the theme - the execution is cheap - the spring is weak and not trustworthy. The way it anchors only to top and bottom is cool, but there's some play.

You get the idea. Overall, I'm happy, now I can ride my bike, woodwork, and do other manly things, generally allowing myself to behave more (*clumsily) freely around and with the device.
    If anyone is considering purchasing this case, I recommend it if:

1. You need a full enclosure type of protective case.
    2. You'd rather not pay $60 for it.
    3. You order other stuff from them as well to make it worthwhile with shipment from China.
    4. You are willing to forget it is a sleek, expensive, super high tech device from the future you're holding. :cyclops:

Thanks to Rye for bringing this case to our attention!

Cheers.
    So the rubber for the survivor have the same feeling with the original rubber? When you post pictures will you post the defected screen guard too please? I want to see it