[HELP NEEDED] Nexus 7 (2012) Screen Distortion

Search This thread

chubiprince

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
Hi,

This problem has been going months now. And it's getting worse. Before, it was just happening when I open games that use Internet connections. However, this time, even if it's just opening the lock screen the distortion problem appears. Any help, please?

Links to videos of the screen problem below:

Months before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVKhpII6MwY

Happening now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWNleEjl6-g

It could be a number of things. Have you tried flashing new firmware or a custom ROM to see if it persists? Does it jump while it is booting up? Your digitizer could be going foul whilst displaying in some spectra. I had a similar problem myself on an HTC Rezound and it turns out the presence of Nova Launcher was the problem...

Take a screenshot and put it on your computer. If it looks fine, you have bad hardware, more than likely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-15-12-04-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-15-12-04-31.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 29

chubiprince

It could be a number of things. Have you tried flashing new firmware or a custom ROM to see if it persists? Does it jump while it is booting up? Your digitizer could be going foul whilst displaying in some spectra. I had a similar problem myself on an HTC Rezound and it turns out the presence of Nova Launcher was the problem...

Take a screenshot and put it on your computer. If it looks fine, you have bad hardware, more than likely.
Im using stock rom. Updated my OS via OTA. Does not jump while the boot screen is loading. I'm using Nova Launcher too. I'll try to remove Nova and see what will happen.

Anyway, this are what my screen looks like after taking a screenshot. I took this after I recorded the videos.

Attachments

• IMG_20140411_122423.jpg
    IMG_20140411_122423.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20140508_130619.jpg
    IMG_20140508_130619.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

chubiprince

This is really odd... Do you mind uploading a raw screenshot?

I really think this has not happen to any Nexus 7 users before. Tried to look for other pictures or videos all over the web, but I couldn't find anything. Okay, I will. Wait for a sec.

EDIT: One thing I also notice is that this only happens when I'm using WIFI, Mobile Data, or when any app tries to access the web PLUS when the device is starting to heat up.

Last edited:

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
It happened again. I took a screenshot two times and all are normal. No distortions. Why is this?

Ah, for now it seems like a hardware issue. If you don't mind, whenever you have the chance, can you try using another ROM? Graphical artifacts that don't show up in the OS are usually signs of bad hardware, though...

If that's too much of a stretch to do, can I ask a couple more questions/favors?

Reactions: chubiprince

chubiprince

Ah, for now it seems like a hardware issue. If you don't mind, whenever you have the chance, can you try using another ROM? Graphical artifacts that don't show up in the OS are usually signs of bad hardware, though...

If that's too much of a stretch to do, can I ask a couple more questions/favors?

Sorry for the late reply. There was a power outage in my place, and it took hours to get the power back. Sure, I am willing to answer your questions or do any favor, as long as it will help my device.

For flashing a new ROM, well I really don't know how to flash a ROM. Plus, the instructions here are only for Windows 7. I am Windows 8 user.

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
Sorry for the late reply. There was a power outage in my place, and it took hours to get the power back. Sure, I am willing to answer your questions or do any favor, as long as it will help my device.

For flashing a new ROM, well I really don't know how to flash a ROM. Plus, the instructions here are only for Windows 7. I am Windows 8 user.

Oh man. The outage isn't your fault in the slightest so it's okay. :)

Earlier you specified it happens when the tablet heats up? Maybe when it acts up, try finding a way to quickly cool it off to see if the interference stops. This issue can certainly also be caused by any underlying interference. If the tablet gets hot, try holding power until the system reboots to check if the Google screen or the boot animation jump (I'm assuming they don't?) and we'll see what happens.

And in terms of bootloader unlock and all that stuff, I thought WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit was compatible with 8? There are definitely drivers for the N7 so if toolkit fails, I can walk you through the alternate route to unlock manually.

chubiprince

Oh man. The outage isn't your fault in the slightest so it's okay. :)

Earlier you specified it happens when the tablet heats up? Maybe when it acts up, try finding a way to quickly cool it off to see if the interference stops. This issue can certainly also be caused by any underlying interference. If the tablet gets hot, try holding power until the system reboots to check if the Google screen or the boot animation jump (I'm assuming they don't?) and we'll see what happens.

And in terms of bootloader unlock and all that stuff, I thought WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit was compatible with 8? There are definitely drivers for the N7 so if toolkit fails, I can walk you through the alternate route to unlock manually.

Hmmm. I'll try it by tomorrow (It's 2 AM here. Hehe). I'll try to make the device "heat up" and restart it. I haven't tried investigating if the boot animation jumps when this distortion thing happens, so, again, I'll do it tomorrow. :D

I tried manually updating my Gnex before thru efran's manual tutorial (on a Windows 7), so I am okay with manual unlocking the bootloader, and trying another ROM. Just tell me the steps via Windows 8, please. :D

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
Hmmm. I'll try it by tomorrow (It's 2 AM here. Hehe). I'll try to make the device "heat up" and restart it. I haven't tried investigating if the boot animation jumps when this distortion thing happens, so, again, I'll do it tomorrow. :D

I tried manually updating my Gnex before thru efran's manual tutorial (on a Windows 7), so I am okay with manual unlocking the bootloader, and trying another ROM. Just tell me the steps via Windows 8, please. :D

Please forgive my tardiness, I was SUPER busy this weekend, but for the most part I'm free now.

Phase them me when you're ready!

Top Liked Posts