[Q] softbrick

Search This thread

honorguard

Jun 3, 2014
hello,

I have recently been playing with roms and stuff on my n4. (did it on other devices, and never had any problem i couldnt fix)
but right now I kinda screwed up so bad, that I need some help.
I kinda wiped all the data on my phone from the cwm recovery.
and I'm stuck with this situation:

I can boot to bootloader + recovery
I can't boot to any rom (because there is none)
I can't connect to any pc because they won't recognize he's there (forever alone... :p) (and yes i've tried all kinds of drivers)
I can't connect with adb because I can't turn on usb debugging mode.

So right now I'm stuck

I've come to the conclusion that i probably need to use fastboot fix this, but like I said before, no computer will recognize my n4. (not showing up in device manager)

also tried about 6 different usb cables - no luck
different computers ( ubuntu - mac - windows) - no luck

So is there any smart guy out there who can help me?

greetings, Julian

Ihsahn_

Feb 13, 2012
hello,

I have recently been playing with roms and stuff on my n4. (did it on other devices, and never had any problem i couldnt fix)

I can't connect to any pc because they won't recognize he's there (forever alone... :p) (and yes i've tried all kinds of drivers)

So right now I'm stuck

I've come to the conclusion that i probably need to use fastboot fix this, but like I said before, no computer will recognize my n4. (not showing up in device manager)

greetings, Julian

I apologise for potentially getting your hopes up, but I am in the exact same situation. I am very much interested in this thread.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Google 15 second adb drivers xda. You probably need to get adb and fastboot setup for the pc to recognize your device. In order to fix it you'll meet to use fastboot or adb commands

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

nicknc

Dec 10, 2009
hello,

So right now I'm stuck

greetings, Julian

You need to delete all your driver files from your pc and start over.

There is no reason for you to not be able to connect via fastboot.

Find a clean win7 machine and start over, installing the fastboot drivers before connecting your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

honorguard

Jun 3, 2014
You need to delete all your driver files from your pc and start over.

There is no reason for you to not be able to connect via fastboot.

Find a clean win7 machine and start over, installing the fastboot drivers before connecting your phone.

Going to try that now.

Ihsahn_

Feb 13, 2012
Hi both

I've tried installing the drivers but whilst the drivers claim to have installed correctly, my phone is still not recognised by my computer in Device manager. I've tried uninstalling all previous drivers before trying this.

Before we go on - should I be trying to connect my phone to the computer when turned off, in bootloader or in recovery?

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Hi both

I've tried installing the drivers but whilst the drivers claim to have installed correctly, my phone is still not recognised by my computer in Device manager. I've tried uninstalling all previous drivers before trying this.

Before we go on - should I be trying to connect my phone to the computer when turned off, in bootloader or in recovery?

The phone needs to be on, doesn't matter if it's in fastboot or recovery. You're going to need to use fastboot do I'd try it there

Ihsahn_

Feb 13, 2012
The phone needs to be on, doesn't matter if it's in fastboot or recovery. You're going to need to use fastboot do I'd try it there

Hi

Is fastboot essentially bootloader? I've tried in the initial bootloader menu and I've tried having clicked 'start' from the bootloader.

In the bootloader it tells me fastboot is enabled, btw.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Hi

Is fastboot essentially bootloader? I've tried in the initial bootloader menu and I've tried having clicked 'start' from the bootloader.

In the bootloader it tells me fastboot is enabled, btw.

When you're in the bootloader you can run fastboot commands. With your device plugged into the pc, from a command prompt opened on the same folder as fastboot.exe, run the command fastboot devices. Does fastboot return your device info? If so you're good to go running fastboot and flashing a factory image

honorguard

Jun 3, 2014
When you're in the bootloader you can run fastboot commands. With your device plugged into the pc, from a command prompt opened on the same folder as fastboot.exe, run the command fastboot devices. Does fastboot return your device info? If so you're good to go running fastboot and flashing a factory image

But my problem is that fastboot Will never work if my pc wont even know my n4 is there (and also with adb/fastboot devices golving no response Either ) or am I wrong here?

Ihsahn_

Feb 13, 2012

Not at the moment. I have had this appear in the past but this is the point I'm trying to get back to. Unfortunately I can't work out how to get it to appear here. My device is in the bootloader.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Brief update - I think. My computer began installing the drivers again, but told me the device suddenly 'disconnected'. I think it's a hardware issue and that the port isn't seated properly. I'm going to replace the USB port and see if that helps.

nicknc

Dec 10, 2009
But my problem is that fastboot Will never work if my pc wont even know my n4 is there (and also with adb/fastboot devices golving no response Either ) or am I wrong here?

Did you do a clean install?

Have you used a different USB cable? Some cables are charging-only, with no indication otherwise. Internally damaged cables can also turn into charging only cables. Ironically, I just replaced one hooked into my daughter's phone today that would only charge intermittently.

There is no reason that wiping partitions in recovery would prevent your phone from being recognized by your PC at all.

Try a clean install of the drivers on a fresh pc with a different cable.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

[Brief update - I think. My computer began installing the drivers again, but told me the device suddenly 'disconnected'. I think it's a hardware issue and that the port isn't seated properly. I'm going to replace the USB port and see if that helps.

This is typical when you connected the phone to the PC before installing the drivers. Windows will sometimes install a generic driver when you hook up the phone, preventing it from detecting the need for adb and fastboot drivers

Ihsahn_

Feb 13, 2012
---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

This is typical when you connected the phone to the PC before installing the drivers. Windows will sometimes install a generic driver when you hook up the phone, preventing it from detecting the need for adb and fastboot drivers

I tried uninstalling all drivers, including in USBDeview before running 15 second drivers then trying to connect my phone in fastboot/bootloader mode, with various cables and various ports. Nothing happened!

I've bought another USB cable which should be arriving soon. I've also bought a new charging/USB port to replace that inside the phone.

nicknc

Dec 10, 2009
I tried uninstalling all drivers, including in USBDeview before running 15 second drivers then trying to connect my phone in fastboot/bootloader mode, with various cables and various ports. Nothing happened!

I've bought another USB cable which should be arriving soon. I've also bought a new charging/USB port to replace that inside the phone.

OK.

Oxious119

Apr 18, 2013
Well, I had similar issues when I bought this phone (coming from a HTC one s) connecting to fastboot.
What I did was:

Delete all drivers related to adb/fastboot/android (use a software to completely clean the files).
Booted my phone into fastboot mode.
Connect to PC and wait for windows to show the new hardware dialog.
Install the correct drivers (which i had downloaded and extracted) using the dialog box.
Profit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

honorguard

Jun 3, 2014
The onlY difference is that the new hardware dialog doesnt come up :(

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ST25i met Tapatalk

nicknc

Dec 10, 2009
The onlY difference is that the new hardware dialog doesnt come up :(

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ST25i met Tapatalk

Did you try on a different PC, installing the adb and fastboot drivers before connecting the phone for the first time?

Have you tried a different USB cable?

Ihsahn_

Feb 13, 2012
A brief update

I remembered I have a second Android phone knocking around. I plugged this in with one of the cables from earlier - perfect installation with all drivers, etc. This has further convinced me that the hardware of the USB port on the phone is the issue.

Thanks for all help - I'll update again if the hardware change works, or doesn't.

honorguard

Jun 3, 2014
ok, ive installed a new windows and installed all the drivers and then i connected the phone.
Nothing.
i'm getting desperate here..