[Q] How does one know this is all save and not NSA related?

Search This thread

JJSJJS

Jun 8, 2014
Redmi Note 9
Hi,

with all media attention related to NSA spy activities.
How does one know this all happening here is not related to NSA activities?
If i'm correct the bloatware a provider installs when you bought it gives nsa access or gives provider unwanted access.

Maybe i'm thinking too much, but even NSA could bring out a rom which looks great and so and you think it's save and not accessing your private details, mic or camera.

Just a thought i had.

(on duckduckgo.com there was this advertising for save internet and cyanomod, thatss how i came here)

Thanks !

JJSJJS

Jun 8, 2014
Redmi Note 9
haha no, just curious that's all. As you know google ain't clean either in terms of privacy. And Android is Google.....

But no, i like what's happening here, it was just a thought.

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Alright...

Intelligence agencies can already essentially look at whatever they want whenever they want via direct access to all networks. They can break a lot of encryption. Most operating systems (whether phone/PC/whatever) either have some NSA designed bits (I.E SELinux) or 'backdoors' which enable them to access even the most tightly 'locked up' systems.

I very much doubt they need to release a bit of 'crapware' or an OS of their own given the above. Though I can imagine in certain cases they custom design an exploit for a particular individual or organisation they want keep tabs on, but I can't imagine they'd want to do it to ordinary phone users en masse in the manner you suggested.

They already 'passively' surveil just about everyone (I.E collect all data but tend not to look at it unless they need to), so they don't need to do what you mentioned.

Reactions: JJSJJS

droidbaker

Jun 22, 2014
In my view opensource system has an advantage that you can check the source code yourself for a potential backdoor.
Most of the ROMs here are opensource so you can download, check, compile and install.

However you do not have 100% opensource devices - you have for example radio drivers which we just trust they will send data to correct receiver and in correct format...

I don't think it is proven SELINUX introduces backdoor or was it? If yes, I'm very interested to see it.

Reactions: JJSJJS

JJSJJS

Jun 8, 2014
Redmi Note 9
Alright...

Intelligence agencies can already essentially look at whatever they want whenever they want via direct access to all networks. They can break a lot of encryption. Most operating systems (whether phone/PC/whatever) either have some NSA designed bits (I.E SELinux) or 'backdoors' which enable them to access even the most tightly 'locked up' systems.

I very much doubt they need to release a bit of 'crapware' or an OS of their own given the above. Though I can imagine in certain cases they custom design an exploit for a particular individual or organisation they want keep tabs on, but I can't imagine they'd want to do it to ordinary phone users en masse in the manner you suggested.

They already 'passively' surveil just about everyone (I.E collect all data but tend not to look at it unless they need to), so they don't need to do what you mentioned.

yes you're right. it totaaly agree.
thanks a lot for your answer.

droidbaker

Jun 22, 2014
Everything is backdoored.

I checked Wikipedia SELinux Entry. I remember Linus's nodding, however there is no hint it was with relation of SELinux.
I found another discussion on this topic and I agree with the point that "It would be singularly dumb of them to inject backdoors in their own name."
Time will show.

Anyway - if you do not trust it, you can turn it off completely or use an alternative - AppArmor - which does not come from NSA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you been abusing ice or something ?
    Alright...

In my view opensource system has an advantage that you can check the source code yourself for a potential backdoor.
    Most of the ROMs here are opensource so you can download, check, compile and install.

However you do not have 100% opensource devices - you have for example radio drivers which we just trust they will send data to correct receiver and in correct format...

I don't think it is proven SELINUX introduces backdoor or was it? If yes, I'm very interested to see it.