*Root the Slide & Other HTC Devices*6/15/2010* How-To Updated 8/14/2010

Search This thread

sutiban

Sep 24, 2009
Tempe
just a few questions:
how do i mount my /system as read write in adb or terminal so i can start deleting bloatware?
in the G1 it was "adb shell su mount -o rw,-t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" but i get that the device or resource is busy, i'm no noob when it comes to linux/unix/android/hacking phones so please help me out and i can test which apps can be safely removed without losing too much stability

once you get into clockwork mod you can mount /system (part of the steps).

However in clockwork mod, I can't su. it doesn't see the file in /sbin and I can't push su to /sbin as i get a permission denied (even though everything is mounted as rw).

Once booted however I can use root explorer to start ripping out files, however (starting to hate that word), after I delete the files I want gone (just working on killing amazon mp3 store) I can still start up amazon... any ideas? Also, after mounting /system rw using root explorer, I delete the files (which says it completes) I go to umount /system and it reboots the phone and ****ing amazon is right back where it was!!!

WTF is up with this phone?????

goodwinm

Apr 19, 2006
Salem, OR
some clarification please

First off, which file should exist as /sdcard/update.zip when the process is started? Or should there be none?

After step 7, should it be showing as offline still, or recovery?

And, step 11 is confusing...

I've caught it in offline mode just a couple times, but maybe my timing for unplug/replug is off.

faylix

Sep 8, 2009
Boston
Using ubuntu:

I'm stuck:

I only see the device for the period between the mytouch screen and before you get the first recovery screen (the triangle). It never stays.

I'm currently doing the reboot, then adb reboot recovery method

- faylix / local

serialtoon

May 25, 2006
First off, which file should exist as /sdcard/update.zip when the process is started? Or should there be none?

After step 7, should it be showing as offline still, or recovery?

And, step 11 is confusing...

I've caught it in offline mode just a couple times, but maybe my timing for unplug/replug is off.

Consider yourself lucky. I cant even get it to show up as a device. The list is empty.

newspeak

Aug 5, 2009
Portland, Ore
i will be making a n00b walkthrough if anyone wants it, i will attach it as a file here so as not to have a dozen threads stating how to root your phone. if anyone needs an ubuntu walkthrough i may un-root to re-root in ubuntu a little later tonight or tomorrow so we can get you guys going too. this process only took me 10 minutes(about 5 minutes faster than rooting the G1) and i got it on my first try even though the power went out here while i was working and i had no idea what to do next.

just a few questions:
how do i mount my /system as read write in adb or terminal so i can start deleting bloatware?
in the G1 it was "adb shell su mount -o rw,-t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" but i get that the device or resource is busy, i'm no noob when it comes to linux/unix/android/hacking phones so please help me out and i can test which apps can be safely removed without losing too much stability

I would find a Ubuntu guide useful ....i will have this phone tomorrow and i think i will prolly root it out of the box

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
i will write up a document when i get to my ubuntu box it will be a while because i have been up for 48 hours(last 12 on xda waiting for this) and i have to fiure out how to unroot my phone so i can try in ubuntu as well as mac(i have several different computers running multi-boots) pnce i have a write up for ubuntu i will upload as well as let eugene know so he can attach to his first post and make it easier to see.

eugene373

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 11, 2009
eb-productions.proboards.com
i will write up a document when i get to my ubuntu box it will be a while because i have been up for 48 hours(last 12 on xda waiting for this) and i have to fiure out how to unroot my phone so i can try in ubuntu as well as mac(i have several different computers running multi-boots) pnce i have a write up for ubuntu i will upload as well as let eugene know so he can attach to his first post and make it easier to see.

Thank you, would greatly welcome it :)

eugene373

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 11, 2009
eb-productions.proboards.com
yes,
adb push slideroot.zip /sdcard

I change this as people was Posting Problems..

Once in the Temp Recovery you mount the system, then flash .zip from sdcard.

don't use the update.zip!! install from zip from sd! Select slideroot.zip

all done

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just replaced the update.zip and started in recovery, launched update.zip and all seemed fine. I already had root though and I have my sd card full so I can't try a2sd or sdparted yet but it seemed to run fine.

Sent from my ROOTED myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
    Go to theunlockr.com and type in adb setup and start there.