How do I root the frk76 OTA update?

Search This thread

sir_lunatic

Feb 2, 2011
I don't run any roms just root. I received the OTA update lastnite and without thinking, I allowed it to update. I usually use SuperOneClick but that doesn't seem to work with this update. I have searched high and low and can't find any information on rooting this. Any help is appreciated.

sir_lunatic

Feb 2, 2011
SOLVED. I reverted to SuperOneClick 1.7 and used rageagainstthemachine and it worked after a reboot. zergRush in 2.2 doesn't seem to work against this update.

Reactions: bikerran

bikerran

Dec 2, 2011
SuperOneClick 2.2.2 Will Work With FRK76 if...

I took the rageagainstthecage exploit file from SuperOneClick 1.7 and placed it in the "Exploits" sub-directory of SuperOneClick 2.2.2 and it worked as well after a reboot. Note: You'll get a warning message about it's incompatibility with Android 2.3 + (not an issue as FRK76 is 2.2.3)

jgoose

Mar 20, 2011
While I still have my 2 year old droid, I don't have my windows computer any more. Is there any way to do this with a Mac?

industrialight

Dec 13, 2011
Springfield MA
Noob needing help

I don't run any roms just root. I received the OTA update lastnite and without thinking, I allowed it to update. I usually use SuperOneClick but that doesn't seem to work with this update. I have searched high and low and can't find any information on rooting this. Any help is appreciated.

Good day, I've scoured the xda dev & android forums, and haven't been able to come up with a resolution to this: I let the OTA [FRK76 - 2.2.3] update slip through, and now i'm having issues rooting.

Besides the fact i'm running linux, i refuse to use any of the one click methods.. Would rather root manually so i know what's happening.

I'm running Ubuntu & doing this all through ADB / terminal, following the instructions listed in android forums [Rooting the Droid without rsd lite up to and including FRG83D], i get to step 13 and i still see the $ & not #.

As there anyone out there who can assist?

Thanks much in advance!

flukehawkins

Jan 17, 2011
My D1 seems remarkably resistant to rooting. I downloaded SOC 2.3.3, added rageagainstthecage to the exploits folder, and it still won't even really get to the "Waiting for Device" command. It kills/boots the ADB daemon then hangs. If I kill one of the ADB processes manually, I can get it to skip the automatic version check and get to "Waiting for Device" but then nothing happens there, either.

Any help (or hell, an alternate rooting method- I'd do it the long way too) would be great.

jwlsinx

Nov 17, 2010
My D1 seems remarkably resistant to rooting. I downloaded SOC 2.3.3, added rageagainstthecage to the exploits folder, and it still won't even really get to the "Waiting for Device" command. It kills/boots the ADB daemon then hangs. If I kill one of the ADB processes manually, I can get it to skip the automatic version check and get to "Waiting for Device" but then nothing happens there, either.

Any help (or hell, an alternate rooting method- I'd do it the long way too) would be great.

The rageagainstthecage exploit works for the FRK76 build, but I couldn't get SuperOneClick to run without crashing, so I just did it manually.

Download SuperOneClick 1.7

Extract, and use the rageagainstthecage, busybox, su, Superuser.apk with this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8315805&postcount=2

The only difference is the block device /system is mounted from (the guide says mtdblock3, and I think on the droid it is mtdblock4). Just type `mount` on the command line and look for the line that has /system and check the mount path.

stkiswr

Aug 11, 2010
I used superoneclick 1.7 to root a stock frk76.
On a note to new users...if you are on windows 7, I could not get it to work. I had an old xp machine that I downloaded soc1.7 to, when I first tried to run it, my PC posted an error about .net 2.0 framework. I Google, found, and downloaded the net 2 0 framework and it worked instantly.
It did not give me recovery. I used rsdlite and only rsd recovery after I rooted it to install cwm. Once you install cwm go directly to it and flash your new rom.
For me, after I rooted and had a stock rom, my recovery would not survive a reboot. But after moving cm7 and gapps to my SD card, re-rsd recovery. Booted directly to recovery. Flashed. Once booted I went to rom manager and had it reflash cwm recovery again and it never had another issue.
My steps may sound confusing but this is what I did.
I do not have sdk setup completely on my laptop and found this to be extremely easy. It works 100% and supplied no errors. I hope this helps someone else.

Top Liked Posts