[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus Firmware Guide: Variations, Who Updates What, etc.

Search This thread

timoni

Apr 1, 2006
Not your phone model, but the Android OS build version you are on is either yakju or takju. Can't tell exactly which one of those two base on just that screen.

I open build.prop and see ro.product.name=yakju, but i do not know my device model is yakju or not. Because i am not sure when flash yakju fw on yakjuxx model will change device to yakju model or not. Could you pls help me.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
I open build.prop and see ro.product.name=yakju, but i do not know my device model is yakju or not. Because i am not sure when flash yakju fw on yakjuxx model will change device to yakju model or not. Could you pls help me.
There is no yakju model or takju model or yakjuxx model or any other model. The models are as follows, and this can be seen on the label under the battery:
GT-i9250
GT-i9250M
GT-i9250T
SC-04D
M420

From what we have seen, the models ARE ALL IDENTICAL hardware wise.

When you flash yakju, you have a yakju build. When you flash yakjuxx, you have a yakjuxx build. Nothing more. It is strictly software.

alessandro1980

Feb 15, 2011
Guys excuse me for my new-be question: if I buy a 4g (LTE) verizon phone, will it work in Italy where we have only 3g or gsm?
Thanks a lot

gothickah0

Apr 26, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
please help. i live in malaysia (South east asia, asia pasific region). i have BASEBAND : I9250XXLA2 , BUILD NUMBER: IMM76K.19250XWLD2.Android version: 4.0.4. And today google release JB OTA. but i cant seems to update my phone. i have try to clear and force close google framework service but doesnt seems to work. any idea how can i update my phone without dealing with adb or rott? sorry for this noob question.

ashiquemahmood

Jul 3, 2012
Can't get OTA updates

When I found out that my Galaxy Nexus was running a yakjuxw build, I flashed the stock image of the 4.0.4 yakju build and everything was just fine. I had to unlock my bootloader to do this. But after a few days, I get a notification prompting me to update to ICS 4.0.4 on my phone, while it was running 4.0.4. It then downloads this 708kb update and then tries to install in but fails. This update keeps on coming up and i can't do anything about it. Now that the Jellybean OTA started rolling, I still get this same update whenever I check for update from my phone. Could someone please tell me what to do?

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
please help. i live in malaysia (South east asia, asia pasific region). i have BASEBAND : I9250XXLA2 , BUILD NUMBER: IMM76K.19250XWLD2.Android version: 4.0.4. And today google release JB OTA. but i cant seems to update my phone. i have try to clear and force close google framework service but doesnt seems to work. any idea how can i update my phone without dealing with adb or rott? sorry for this noob question.

Your firmware is not included in the OTA from Google. You have yakjuxw, which gets updates from Samsung. So if you keep your phone as it is, you will only get the JB OTA once Samsung releases a version for your phone. Could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: gothickah0

gothickah0

Apr 26, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
thanks for the info oldblue910. but is it possible for me to update using ODIN software and thus change my region to the US version? because previously i have samsung galaxy Y and galaxy mini without using any of usual method in XDA (root or what so ever) i successfully update my galaxy to new updated version and change the region using the .zip file given. what do you suggest if i want to receive update via Google instead of Samsung itself? thanks in advance

Last edited:

twitchy88

Jul 13, 2012
HALP

i was impatient for the yakjux to be put out for 4.0.4 so i unlocked rooted and flashed to yakju this guide would have been mega helpful before i did that btu now onto my problem i recenty got the message from google my phone could be updated to helly bean however when i attempted this i get errors i have attempted several different methods and everytime i get reverted back to the backup i made before attempting this process(phew) i am hoping either someone can assist me or hopefully point me in the correct direction
below i have posted the error log that CWM gives me
Code:
-- Installing: /sdcard/f946a4120eb1.signed-yakju-JRO03C-from-IMM76I.f946a412.zip
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /sdcard/f946a4120eb1.signed-yakju-JRO03C-from-IMM76I.f946a412.zip
I:using /data/media, no /sdcard found.
Opening update package...
Installing update...
installing samsung updater extensions
Verifying current system...
partition read matched size 4247552 sha dc9634319c491e812bfd86d4fa82de17f6f6e1ac
286380032 bytes free on /cache (16570800 needed)
286380032 bytes free on /cache (12583168 needed)
contents of partition "/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio" didn't match EMMC:/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio:12583168:8b7209e8c3a6d73254ad92069aabe693beffd6bd:12583168:47b1799049e32ef2c0746ca716f5277a83768b96
file "EMMC:/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio:12583168:8b7209e8c3a6d73254ad92069aabe693beffd6bd:12583168:47b1799049e32ef2c0746ca716f5277a83768b96" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC:/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio:12583168:8b7209e8c3a6d73254ad92069aabe693beffd6bd:12583168:47b1799049e32ef2c0746ca716f5277a83768b96")
assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC:/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio:12583168:8b7209e8c3a6d73254ad92069aabe693beffd6bd:12583168:47b1799049e32ef2c0746ca716f5277a83768b96")
E:Error in /sdcard/f946a4120eb1.signed-yakju-JRO03C-from-IMM76I.f946a412.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
result was NULL, message is: assert failed: install_zip("/sdcard/f946a4120eb1.signed-yakju-JRO03C-from-IMM76I.f946a412.zip")
I:using /data/media, no /sdcard found.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
i was impatient for the yakjux to be put out for 4.0.4 so i unlocked rooted and flashed to yakju this guide would have been mega helpful before i did that btu now onto my problem i recenty got the message from google my phone could be updated to helly bean however when i attempted this i get errors i have attempted several different methods and everytime i get reverted back to the backup i made before attempting this process(phew) i am hoping either someone can assist me or hopefully point me in the correct direction
below i have posted the error log that CWM gives me
Which guide did you use? You do not have the right radio flashed. You need to flash the XXLA2 radio that came with yakju IMM76I. Find it in the factory image, or in the radio thread.

Camazza

Jun 23, 2009
Rovigo
Quick question: I have bought a galaxy nexus from a guy who installed a custom firmware there, so first thing I did was to take it home and flash the Google Stock image for 4.0.4. Now, after a quick research I found out that here in Italy we have Yakju or Yakjuxw (which is mainly for phones sold through carriers, and it's not my case), so I flashed that.
I'm 80% sure that this was the original firmware (it's imported from germany I think), and I also know that it should not cause trouble with warranty as long as the bootloader is locked (and it is). However, to clear every possible doubt, is it possible to find out which variant my phone is even if it has been reflashed? Serial number maybe, who knows?

zoum79

Feb 13, 2006
Thanks for this great guide, but there is some contradiction:

Google updates the following firmware variants:
takju
yakju
mysid

vs

This means that if you have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, or a GSM model running one of the yakju(xx) firmware variants, your device is not included in the OTA rollout from Google. Your update will instead come from Samsung sometime in the future after they make whatever region- and/or carrier-specific changes they need to make for the firmware.

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Thanks for this great guide, but there is some contradiction:

takju
yakju
mysid

vs

This means that if you have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, or a GSM model running one of the yakju(xx) firmware variants, your device is not included in the OTA rollout from Google. Your update will instead come from Samsung sometime in the future after they make whatever region- and/or carrier-specific changes they need to make for the firmware.

How is that contradictory at all? If you have mysidspr (as opposed to mysid), or yakju(xx) (as opposed to straight yakju), your updates come from Samsung.

JonJace24

Oct 22, 2010
Brooklyn
two different versions

Thanks for the great guide but I have a issue. I just recently bought a Galaxy Nexus off of Craigslist. I was wondering why I didn't receive the OTA. When I opened the GNex toolkit from the XDA forums and definitely after reading your guide I notice that my GSM GNex has a mysid build, a Verizon build on it. Its IMM76K but my baseband is I9250. Which is the Unlocked GSM version. Is this possible?

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Thanks for the great guide but I have a issue. I just recently bought a Galaxy Nexus off of Craigslist. I was wondering why I didn't receive the OTA. When I opened the GNex toolkit from the XDA forums and definitely after reading your guide I notice that my GSM GNex has a mysid build, a Verizon build on it. Its IMM76K but my baseband is I9250. Which is the Unlocked GSM version. Is this possible?

Sounds like someone flashed the wrong firmware before they sold it to you. I'd recommend going to http://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images, downloading the latest takju image (if you're in the US) or yakju image (if you're outside the US), flashing those images via fastboot (you'll have to unlock your bootloader if it isn't already). That'll right your ship and you'll be completely stock and on the firmware you should be on. :)

JonJace24

Oct 22, 2010
Brooklyn
Sounds like someone flashed the wrong firmware before they sold it to you. I'd recommend going to http://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images, downloading the latest takju image (if you're in the US) or yakju image (if you're outside the US), flashing those images via fastboot (you'll have to unlock your bootloader if it isn't already). That'll right your ship and you'll be completely stock and on the firmware you should be on. :)

Thank you so much when I get home I'll do it immediately. One question is there a way to tell if the boot loader is unlocked by looking in the about screen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the Galaxy Nexus, there are a LOT of different firmware variants, most of which are updated by Samsung, not Google. This guide attempts to sort all of this out for the beginner and help you make sense of it all.

WHAT IS ALL THIS TALK ABOUT FIRMWARE VARIATIONS?
    With every Nexus phone, there has been a "master" firmware, plus other localized firmware variants for certain regions or carriers. Sometimes these variants will contain language packs, additional ringtones, slightly different baseband (radio) firmware to make it work better for a particular carrier's network, etc.

In the case of the Nexus S, Google maintained the master and all the local variants. On the Nexus One and the Xoom, Google only maintained the master firmware while carriers and/or OEMs maintained the local variants. In the case of the Galaxy Nexus, there are three Google-maintained master firmware variants, and many more Samsung-maintained local variants.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT VARIANTS AND WHAT DO THEY MEAN?
    Below is a definitive list of all known firmware variants for the Galaxy Nexus, and what models they shipped on:

GSM/HSPA+ Models
    • takju - USA region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold in the USA through the Google Play Store
    • yakju - International region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold throughout western Europe.
    • yakjudv - Variant for Australia
    • yakjujp - Variant for the Middle East
    • yakjujt - Variant for Turkey
    • yakjukr - Variant for South Korea
    • yakjusc - Variant for Japan
    • yakjuux - Variant for Canada
    • yakjuvs - Variant for Brazil
    • yakjuxe - Variant for Russia and the former Eastern Bloc
    • yakjuxw - Variant for certain carriers in Western Europe
    • yakjuzs - Variant for China and Hong Kong

CDMA/LTE Models
    • mysid - Variant for Verizon in the USA
    • mysidspr - Variant for Sprint in the USA

HOW CAN I TELL WHICH FIRMWARE I HAVE ON MY DEVICE
    Using any file manager app, go into your /system folder and open the file called "build.prop". Find the line that starts with ro.product.name. Whatever comes after the equals sign (=), that's the firmware you have.

WHICH FIRMWARE IS UPDATED BY GOOGLE AS OPPOSED TO SAMSUNG?

• takju
    • yakju
    • mysid

Every other variant is updated and maintained by Samsung.

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT THE SPRINT GALAXY NEXUS GETS UPDATES FROM SAMSUNG AND NOT GOOGLE?!?!
    Yep.

WHY DOES IT MATTER WHERE MY UPDATES COME FROM ANYWAY?
    For all practical purposes, it probably doesn't. However, this becomes an issue if you want timely updates. When Google drops a new OTA update for the Galaxy Nexus, they always announce it through official Android channels. When they announce a Galaxy Nexus OTA, they are only referring to devices running the firmware that they control.

I HAVE A VERIZON GALAXY NEXUS. THE FIRMWARE IS UPDATED BY GOOGLE SO WHY DOES IT ALWAYS TAKE LONGER FOR UPDATES TO HIT MY DEVICE THAN THE GSM/HSPA+ DEVICE
    Even though Google maintains and updates the mysid firmware on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Verizon must test and approve the updates before Google is allowed to roll them out. This introduces delays, sometimes lengthy ones. For instance, Android 4.0.4 began rolling out to the Galaxy Nexus GSM model on March 28, 2012. The Verizon device didn't get the update until two months later, on May 31, 2012 due to testing delays. That's not to say that all future OTAs will occur on a two month delay, but it's best to be prepared for the worst.

WHAT'S THIS I'VE HEARD ABOUT BEING ABLE TO FLASH YAKJU FIRMWARE ON A DEVICE RUNNING YAKJU(XX)? IF I DO THIS, WILL MY UPDATES COME FROM GOOGLE?
    You can flash yakju firmware onto any Galaxy Nexus GSM device that's running a yakju(xx) variant. This is outside the scope of this guide, but instructions can be found here on XDA with a little searching. Once you're up and running on yakju, your updates will come from Google rather than Samsung.

DOES THE SAME THING GO FOR CDMA? COULD I FLASH THE VERIZON MYSID FIRMWARE TO MY SPRINT MODEL AND GET UPDATES FROM GOOGLE?
    No, No, No and NO! If you tried this, you'd probably risk hard bricking your phone, and even if it did boot, you'd have no mobile data and probably wouldn't be able to make calls either.

WHAT IF I HAVE FIRMWARE-RELATED QUESTIONS THAT AREN'T ADDRESSED IN THIS GUIDE?
    Post them here and I'm sure someone can answer it for you.
    Thread stuck
    FNM
    There is no yakju model or takju model or yakjuxx model or any other model. The models are as follows, and this can be seen on the label under the battery:
    GT-i9250
    GT-i9250M
    GT-i9250T
    SC-04D
    M420

From what we have seen, the models ARE ALL IDENTICAL hardware wise.

When you flash yakju, you have a yakju build. When you flash yakjuxx, you have a yakjuxx build. Nothing more. It is strictly software.
    I am on YAKJUXW, baseband XXLF1 Buildnumber JRO03C Android 4.1.1. Is there anybody who got the same as build as mine who was able to update to 4.1.2 OTA? Ive already tried clearing Google Framework Services data several times but still didnt get the OTA update
    If we look at the the 4.1.1 update, it took a couple of months after yakju got the update, before yakjuxw got the update, so I would assume that it would take a couple of months.
    Pretty sure you have to have the stock signed recovery to accept official updates.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You have to have stock recovery if you want to auto-flash OTAs. In other words, if you get the notification on the screen and tap "Restart and Install", you'll have to have stock recovery installed in order for that to work.

If you're OK with flashing OTAs manually, though, you can do that in a custom recovery all day long.