Home Button Stopped Working.. Alternative?

Search This thread

Godmyster

Nov 10, 2011
Hey all Just like the top says my home button stopped working and i know there is alternatives, what do you guys recommend doing or should i download an app to substitute it? and if yes what app do you guys find best?

Thank you :)

Glyptho

Dec 14, 2013
You can try a custom rom that has on screen navbar option. I saw this option on Dirty Unicorns but I dont use the option. Im sure other Roms has it also.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
@MistahBungle is right.......there WILL come a time when you need a home button, and when that happens a 'virtual' button just won't help.......
Best advice....get it replaced....
If you can get it done under Samsung's 2 year warranty, all the better, as replacing the button involves removing the screen....which WILL break.....

Sent from my Infected KitKat bar.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Hopper8

robneymcplum

Oct 22, 2007
midlands
LMT launcher, in Android hacking/app and games. I use it, it's better than pie in every respect IMO.
And no matter what happens, you DON'T need a home button, worst possible case scenario you reboot Cwm and back up, to restore later or reinstall a new rom
and add lwt launcher straight away.

elixir.

Aug 24, 2012
Try "PIMP MY ROM" from google store,it has an option to enable homescreen buttons.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
All these people telling the OP about different ROMs and apps need to stop and think......
What good will ANY of them do if the OP's phone won't boot and the only way to get it running will be to use the button combo to get into recovery to wipe data and/or flash a new ROM?....will any of these mods or tweaks help then?.......
And to the poster who said "you'll NEVER NEED a home button"....you can believe that if you want, but don't try to get others to believe a statement that is so obviously blatantly wrong........

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

robneymcplum

Oct 22, 2007
midlands
And to the poster who said "you'll NEVER NEED a home button"....you can believe that if you want, but don't try to get others to believe a statement that is so obviously blatantly wrong........

Ok, kindly explain YOUR blatantly wrong post. My home button broke 18 months ago, and not once has it made the SLIGHTEST difference to me using navbars/on screen buttons. I flash 2 roms at least a week and have no issue at all.
So, Mr. Knowledge :), when would the lack of a physical home button actually matter? bearing in mind it has never affected me. I'm genuinely interested.

Theres always clowns chucking in duff info.

Likewise, a 'clown' ? care to elaborate or just throw unnecessary comments around? As said, my home button doesnt work and hasnt done. So my comment 'you dont need a physical home button' is 100% true.
You my friend, seem to be the only clown on here, recommending he tries a physical repair when an app, a free app at that, can do all he asked it to do,

Bearing in mind again, you can actually BUY real phones from REAL shops that come, as STANDARD with no physical home button, or buttons at all, using a navbar. Cant believe these manufacturers have been so stupid to release these products without checking with you guys first.....

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Ok, kindly explain YOUR blatantly wrong post. My home button broke 18 months ago, and not once has it made the SLIGHTEST difference to me using navbars/on screen buttons. I flash 2 roms at least a week and have no issue at all.
So, Mr. Knowledge :), when would the lack of a physical home button actually matter? bearing in mind it has never affected me. I'm genuinely interested.

Likewise, a 'clown' ? care to elaborate or just throw unnecessary comments around? As said, my home button doesnt work and hasnt done. So my comment 'you dont need a physical home button' is 100% true.
You my friend, seem to be the only clown on here, recommending he tries a physical repair when an app, a free app at that, can do all he asked it to do,

Bearing in mind again, you can actually BUY real phones from REAL shops that come, as STANDARD with no physical home button, or buttons at all, using a navbar. Cant believe these manufacturers have been so stupid to release these products without checking with you guys first.....

Are you really that dim?.......
How about this then........
The phone does not boot.....
so that makes your 'free app' about as much use as a chocolate teapot......
The only way to get it up and running is to factory reset/wipe the device or flash a firmware via Odin.
You need to access recovery or download mode.
How do you do that?.......
By pressing "power" (you've guessed it) "HOME" and either "vol up" or "vol down" keys together........

HOW YOU GONNA DO THAT IF YOUR HOME BUTTON'S SC**WED?

So me? blatantly wrong? I DON'T THINK SO.......
And about "clown"......if the cap fits, wear it.......

Last edited:
Reactions: MistahBungle

robneymcplum

Oct 22, 2007
midlands
Are you really that dim?.......
How about this then........
The phone does not boot.....
so that makes your 'free app' about as much use as a chocolate teapot......
The only way to get it up and running is to factory reset/wipe the device or flash a firmware via Odin.
You need to access recovery or download mode.
How do you do that?.......
By pressing "power" (you've guessed it) "HOME" and either "vol up" or "vol down" keys together........

HOW YOU GONNA DO THAT IF YOUR HOME BUTTON'S SC**WED?

So me? blatantly wrong? I DON'T THINK SO.......
And about "clown"......if the cap fits, wear it.......

Sigh......

power/reboot/reboot recovery/dowmload.....
then CWM doesnt need home, nor odin.... then reboot.
I say again, 18months with no home button, has not affected me once. You may THINK it does, but I KNOW it doesnt. Failing that, Enable debugging, adb can be used when the animation starts, so, simply do adb reboot recovery/download.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Sigh........
Power/reboot/recovery/download options DO NOT appear on STOCK shutdown menu. Admittedly you won't have cwm on stock, but you still have the option to factory reset......
So still wanna tell me you DON'T need a home button?.....
Somebody needs to do some research methinks......

Reactions: MistahBungle

robneymcplum

Oct 22, 2007
midlands
Sigh........
Power/reboot/recovery/download options DO NOT appear on STOCK shutdown menu. Admittedly you won't have cwm on stock, but you still have the option to factory reset......
So still wanna tell me you DON'T need a home button?.....
Somebody needs to do some research methinks......

I'm not saying it's easier, or not a faff. I'm saying I had no confidence opening up my phone to replace parts. This solution yes, takes longer and us annoying but does work, it is working on my phone now. I'd rather this than attempt a repair and completely break my phone, or pay someone to do it.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
So tell me how YOU'D recover an unbootable totally stock phone without a functioning home button........

robneymcplum

Oct 22, 2007
midlands
So tell me how YOU'D recover an unbootable totally stock phone without a functioning home button........

Firstly, the OP hasnt said its unbootable, and has a rom running. Therefore can advanced power menu. with exposed if on a stock rom, easy.
Second, can add the navbar/LMP app whatever....
Then can if need be boot to logo and adb reboot recovery.
recovery doesnt need the home button.

IF this cant be done, which has never been mentioned, then yes. He pretty much needs to replace the button. But it hasnt been mentioned, so therefore all my advice is perfectly sound UNTIL it wont boot at all.

THEN he is screwed :(

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
So.....are you still maintaining that you'll NEVER NEED a home button?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Honestly ? Fix it. The reasons should be obvious (and relate to recovery from any dramas you might end up having, which happen to all of us at one point or another).
    LMT launcher, in Android hacking/app and games. I use it, it's better than pie in every respect IMO.
    And no matter what happens, you DON'T need a home button, worst possible case scenario you reboot Cwm and back up, to restore later or reinstall a new rom
    and add lwt launcher straight away.

Creampie is way better than pie.And your probably clueless what worst case scenario is.

You can also buy an s4, much better phone.An app is no use if the phone wont boot.And you shouldnt advise anyone to buy a pc just to use your adb.

Sigh......

power/reboot/reboot recovery/dowmload.....
    then CWM doesnt need home, nor odin.... then reboot.
    I say again, 18months with no home button, has not affected me once. You may THINK it does, but I KNOW it doesnt. Failing that, Enable debugging, adb can be used when the animation starts, so, simply do adb reboot recovery/download.

Buy a pc if one loses recovery.

I'm not saying it's easier, or not a faff. I'm saying I had no confidence opening up my phone to replace parts. This solution yes, takes longer and us annoying but does work, it is working on my phone now. I'd rather this than attempt a repair and completely break my phone, or pay someone to do it.

Who cares if your too intellectually challenged to repair a phone; thats your problem, or if your giro wouldnt cover a repair.

Firstly, the OP hasnt said its unbootable, and has a rom running. Therefore can advanced power menu. with exposed if on a stock rom, easy.
    Second, can add the navbar/LMP app whatever....
    Then can if need be boot to logo and adb reboot recovery.
    recovery doesnt need the home button.

IF this cant be done, which has never been mentioned, then yes. He pretty much needs to replace the button. But it hasnt been mentioned, so therefore all my advice is perfectly sound UNTIL it wont boot at all.

THEN he is screwed :(

He could fly over to meet you, and you could do your stuff.You both might get lucky.

Yes, with a working phone, advanced power option to reboot to download to use odin. Or reboot to recovery to backup or flash a new rom.
    LMT launcher, navbar or any other option for onscreen home buttons.
    As described by the OP he currently, (the point I was answering to) does NOT NEED a physical home button.

Has the OP turned the phone off and tried to enter recovery? in case the home button is a rom/software issue?
    If the phone goes wrong and he cant reboot to recovery by power menu, or reboot through ADB then YES, he DOES need a physical home button.
    But as this was never mentioned or explained I answered accordingly, IE: with a working phone, debug turned on and advanced power menu the lack of a physical button isnt an issue, IE again: he DOESNT NEED ONE.

If, heaven forbid, in future his phone DOES go wrong, and none of the above work then yes, he DEFINITELY WILL NEED A HOME BUTTON.

But I wasnt answering that question, as it wasnt mentioned.

Hope this clears up any confusion you had.

"And no whatever happens, you dont need a home button"

Crap!

No, if the phone never f*cks up then you never need a home button. Ive had no home button for 18 months, and has been fine. So you CAN live without one, and I use LMT launcher.

And OP:
    If its working fine now, with on screen buttons then dont try to fix it or spend money fixing it. IF it then does go wrong, fix it or pay someone which you've been advised to do now, but you may never need to. If you get my drift?

You can also live without a pc theoretically.And people are advised to change the home button for present and future scenarios.

I would have replied earlier, but I missed your posts because Ive been too busy eating bacon rolls and pork chops.
    All these people telling the OP about different ROMs and apps need to stop and think......
    What good will ANY of them do if the OP's phone won't boot and the only way to get it running will be to use the button combo to get into recovery to wipe data and/or flash a new ROM?....will any of these mods or tweaks help then?.......

Theres always clowns chucking in duff info.
    Save your fingers Keith. This guy is an imbecile & obviously has no idea of the number of phones we see here in an average week - Answer = a couple of dozen, even with how few people post here these days compared to 12-18 mths ago, which have no recovery & only download mode working (too bad if you don't have a jig & have to wait a week for little e Big B to deliver one, and even more bad if it doesn't work).

The bottom line is, if you're running a modded phone with a busted home button, don't coming crying to Q&A if you rely on that phone day to day for personal/business whatever (frankly, if you really can't do without your phone, you're an idiot if you mod it full stop) and things go balls up. We're only just going to laugh with contempt at you because we f*****g told you to get it fixed however many months ago (not dissimilar to a particular fool who ignored advice given months ago then posted to Q&A recently about all the difficulties they had as a result of ignoring said advice).

And the other problem with Q&A these days is we get idiots who have no idea acting like they do giving people just plain shoddy advice </rant>