Tablet stuck in "Installing System Update to Error!" loop

Search This thread

Meth_Badger

Nov 29, 2012
My tablet froze on me and I powered it down to restart it and then it went into what folks on here call a bootloop. After holding down Power and volume down, it brought me to a screen that had three icons and I chose the one on the right by mistake and now it's looping again, but instead of the Asus screen with the refreshing icon, it's the android falling with an Error on his chest after quickly flashing Installing System Update.

The power volume combo works no more and the only way I can shut off my tablet completely is to use the power and volume up button. I can't get back to screen with the three icons no matter how many times I try.

I've already resolved myself to purchasing a new device, so my main concern is recovering the data, slim as that might be. Any recommendations?
Also, note that Ive never rooted or installed anything on my tablet. No roms or kernels or any other modifications. If I can get my data by any means necessary, I'd be satisfied, even If I Ihad to open it and retrieve the harddrive.

Hopefully Ive explained myself sufficently for you guys to help me. Cheers.

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
My tablet froze on me and I powered it down to restart it and then it went into what folks on here call a bootloop. After holding down Power and volume down, it brought me to a screen that had three icons and I chose the one on the right by mistake and now it's looping again, but instead of the Asus screen with the refreshing icon, it's the android falling with an Error on his chest after quickly flashing Installing System Update.

The power volume combo works no more and the only way I can shut off my tablet completely is to use the power and volume up button. I can't get back to screen with the three icons no matter how many times I try.

I've already resolved myself to purchasing a new device, so my main concern is recovering the data, slim as that might be. Any recommendations?
Also, note that Ive never rooted or installed anything on my tablet. No roms or kernels or any other modifications. If I can get my data by any means necessary, I'd be satisfied, even If I Ihad to open it and retrieve the harddrive.

Hopefully Ive explained myself sufficently for you guys to help me. Cheers.

If I read your post correctly, you selected the right icon which is a Wipe data from your bootloader. When you executed that Wipe data, it will wipe everything on your internal SD including your /media folder or your personal files and data...:( The chance is very slim unless someone knows how to recover data from a wipe. Technically, your data is still there but it is only a dumb files which contain only 0's and 1's. Some recovery tools may be able to retrieve your data but I don't have that knowledge.. I hope that someone will be able to help you out and good luck...:fingers-crossed:

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I'm afraid LMK is right: Your data is gone.
Do I suspect correctly that you interrupted the Wipe Data process after selecting it "accidentally"?
Choosign Wipe Data from the bootloader causes the BL to write a command to the misc partition to start the recovery and wipe the data partition. If you interrupted the process, there's no telling what and where that got corrupted - unless you just let it loop and pray that it finishes the wipe process which would erase the BL command. Connect it to power and let it loop for a few hours. What have you got to loose?
But your data is gone either way - sorry.

dilfred

Mar 30, 2011
Morning, cheeky question(s)

Where are you located, and would you be interested in selling your bricked TF700? I have a broken screen among other things and would be interested in buying your tablet for spares if you are getting a new one?

PM me if you are interested.

Thank you
Freddie

Meth_Badger

Nov 29, 2012
I'm not all too sure what the Icon on the left wad, but I'm sure it said RKU or some sort. I would have given up all hope if I had hit the wipe data on the right.

Days recovery aside, is there anyway I can get my looped tablet to work? I plugged it into a comp and it didn't recognise it.