[Q] HD+ : Stock vs Hybrid vs EMMC vs SD Card - pros and cons?

Search This thread

BillBong

Dec 19, 2010
I haven't really followed developments since I set up a CM on the SD card (still running from the 2012-12-31 build). For the past few weeks I have now recently gone to the Stock 2.1 build after it opened up to Google Play.

The stock is noticeably better on battery life but I do still prefer the CM interface so I'm looking to go back to a CM build but it's a bit confusing with the different options now available. I've browsed through the various threads but it's hard to get an overall picture because a lot of the posts are trouble-shooting or developmental.

Does anyone have an overview of the pros and cons of the different methods, ie. EMMC vs Hybrid vs SD Card installs?

HiddenG

Nov 5, 2011
Manchester
In my opinion: Hybrid SD > EMMC > Pure SD.

Here's a list of advantages of each in very brief detail, just from the top of my head.

Hybrid SD
  • Dual-boot option; between stock and CM10/.1
  • Easily revert to Stock, without a lot of fuss
  • Significant performance boost over Pure SD install
  • Less problems over a Pure SD install (i.e. deep sleep, etc.)

EMMC
  • No stuck at 99% issue, as the stock ROM is completely erased.
  • Slight/hairline performance boost over Hybrid SD
  • No SD card required, thus no SD card incompatibilities.

Pure SD
  • The easiest option to boot between CM10 and Stock.
  • Easily revert to stock, just by ejecting the card.
  • No HD+ internal storage is occupied for CM10

However, the Pure SD has more problems when using CM10 over the Hybrid install. For me, the Hybrid is perfectly fine. No problems, and it does not erase the stock ROM (so I can still reset everything, and it'll be like new). If you install on the EMMC, you overwrite the stock ROM. So if you do wish to revert, you need to reflash the stock ROM (not a problem, but a little more hassle than Hybrid or Pure).

I have probably missed a few things. If I remember them at a later date, I will amend this post. :)

All the best.

Reactions: Arya99

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
One thing I would add to HiddenG's post is the latest CM10.1 ROMs for the HD+ now have phenomenal deep sleep and good battery life. Almost as good as stock. On all platforms, emmc, Hybrid SD and Original SD.

Since I have two devices so I can troubleshoot and help people, I run all three, rooted stock with Hybrid CM10.1 on one device and emmc CM10.1 on another. For just pure use, I like the emmc the best. It is fast, smooth and trouble free. And I have CWM on emmc so no booting to SD for anything on that one.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

Last edited:

talha970

Aug 13, 2013

Here's a list of advantages of each in very brief detail, just from the top of my head.

Hybrid SD

EMMC

Pure SD

However, the Pure SD has more problems when using CM10 over the Hybrid install. For me, the Hybrid is perfectly fine. No problems, and it does not erase the stock ROM (so I can still reset everything, and it'll be like new). If you install on the EMMC, you overwrite the stock ROM. So if you do wish to revert, you need to reflash the stock ROM (not a problem, but a little more hassle than Hybrid or Pure).

I have probably missed a few things. If I remember them at a later date, I will amend this post. :)

All the best.

Do you know about any of these "Pure SD" roms preferably cm10,2

mynookhd

Oct 27, 2013
If you go through the hybrid route and select reset factory settings on the stock rom, does it delete all traces of the cm mod?

HiddenG

Nov 5, 2011
Manchester
Just to update this thread with the times, I would now prefer EMMC > Hybrid SD > Pure SD.

I don't need to dual-boot, but would rather just use the tablet. I don't need to use the stock ROM, plus CyanogenMod provides all that is needed; so I would go with an EMMC/Internal installation. I wouldn't bother with Hybrid or Pure anymore, unless you want to keep the stock ROM and dual-boot.

With EMMC however, you can now use SD cards for media storage, and not have to bother with Cyanoboot/CWM on the SD card - it can now be installed all on your internal/EMMC. There is also a stable version of CyanogenMod 10.1.3 for the Nook HD/+, so I've installed this on EMMC.

Of course, if you prefer anything else, you can chose how to install CyanogenMod. For me though, I'm on EMMC and probably will stay with this method. ;)

Reactions: kangi26

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hybrid SD

EMMC

Pure SD

All the best.
    Just to update this thread with the times, I would now prefer EMMC > Hybrid SD > Pure SD.

I don't need to dual-boot, but would rather just use the tablet. I don't need to use the stock ROM, plus CyanogenMod provides all that is needed; so I would go with an EMMC/Internal installation. I wouldn't bother with Hybrid or Pure anymore, unless you want to keep the stock ROM and dual-boot.

With EMMC however, you can now use SD cards for media storage, and not have to bother with Cyanoboot/CWM on the SD card - it can now be installed all on your internal/EMMC. There is also a stable version of CyanogenMod 10.1.3 for the Nook HD/+, so I've installed this on EMMC.

Of course, if you prefer anything else, you can chose how to install CyanogenMod. For me though, I'm on EMMC and probably will stay with this method. ;)