[MOD] CM9 MultiTasking Modifications [ICS Browser Style - Chrome Style - WP7 Style]

Search This thread

barnacles10

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
I saw these modifications to recent apps which I really liked so I thought I would add it to CM9 on the E4GT. I originally found these modifications in the Nexus forums here and here. There are 3 versions, stock ICS browser style app switching, pictured on the top left[SystemUI.apk from attachments below], Chrome style [SystemUI_Chrome.apk from attachments below] pictured on the top right, and Windows 7 Phone Style below them [found here].

wTyEz.png
Lqyvo.png

lZEkz.png

These modifications are based off of ICS framework from CM9 Alpha 3. The mod requires 2 modified apks, framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk which will be attached below.

Install instructions:
If you're using the chrome style, rename to SystemUI.apk before pushing so it overwrites. You will use the same framework for either.

Code:
adb root
adb remount
adb push SystemUI.apk /system/app
adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework
adb reboot

Enjoy :cool:

Note: Pushing framework will likely wipe your Google account.

Attachments

• framework-res.apk
    4.5 MB · Views: 225
  • SystemUI.apk
    749.1 KB · Views: 190
  • SystemUI_Chrome.apk
    749.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

satur9ine

Jul 29, 2010
Cool. Is it possible to do the chrome style one too?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
I'd rather get comfortable with adb so I added it to my path variables so thats all good. Now I ran the adb push command and it tells me cannot stat 'SystemUI.apk' no such file or directory. Any ideas, both are sitting in the same folder.

Reactions: barnacles10

barnacles10

Mar 25, 2010
I'd rather get comfortable with adb so I added it to my path variables so thats all good. Now I ran the adb push command and it tells me cannot stat 'SystemUI.apk' no such file or directory. Any ideas, both are sitting in the same folder.

I thanked you because it's refreshing hearing that, so thanks. :cool:

Are you able to remount? You will need to change directories into the folder where you have the files as well. Adding adb to your path will allow you to execute its functions across the system but won't allow you to push files from within that path from a different location.

Are you on windows or linux?

ALSO:
Chrome style added to OP. Please read directions. Enjoy.

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL

Are you able to remount? You will need to change directories into the folder where you have the files as well. Adding adb to your path will allow you to execute its functions across the system but won't allow you to push files from within that path from a different location.

ALSO:

No problem, I want to learn and do this kinda stuff on my own lol. Im on windows, adb remount succeeded. How would I "change directories into the folder where you have the files?" I have both in the same folder as the adb.exe (C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools)

barnacles10

Mar 25, 2010
No problem, I want to learn and do this kinda stuff on my own lol. Im on windows, adb remount succeeded. How would I "change directories into the folder where you have the files?"

Code:
cd path/to/where/you/have/them

Or, when you load up cmd, it will sit you in your home folder out of box. You could just move the files there as well and not have to worry about changing directories at all. Either way.

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
Code:
cd path/to/where/you/have/them

Or, when you load up cmd, it will sit you in your home folder out of box. You could just move the files there as well and not have to worry about changing directories at all. Either way.

Sorry, still a bit confused and I still cant get it to work. I tried adb push C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\SystemUI.apk /system/app and it still gives me the same error? Sorry to keep bugging you barnacles.

barnacles10

Mar 25, 2010
Sorry, still a bit confused and I still cant get it to work. I tried adb push C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\SystemUI.apk /system/app and it still gives me the same error? Sorry to keep bugging you barnacles.

No worries. Open up a new terminal and do this..

Code:
cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

Code:
[SIZE="1"]assuming you have adb mounted[/SIZE]

barnacles10

Mar 25, 2010
Windows Phone 7 Style App Switcher

lZEkz.png

This mod is based off of ICS framework from CM9 Alpha 3. The mod requires 2 modified apks, framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk which will be attached below.

Use the install instructions from here if you're not sure how to install.

Attachments

• framework-res.apk
    4.5 MB · Views: 84
  • SystemUI.apk
    746.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

garfnodie

Apr 2, 2008
Columbia, TN, USA

ALSO:

I've used ADB a few times with my old Nexus One, but it was always a pain having to remember what directory ADB was in, only just learned how to add it to System Path today. It's so nice to just be able to type ADB at any command prompt and it works.

barnacles10

Mar 25, 2010
Thank you, finally got it working with your help. If I wanted to get familiar with linux, which version would you suggest to a beginner?

Ubuntu.

Ubuntu even offers something walled "wubi" or windows ubuntu, which allows you to install Ubuntu onto a windows PC much like an application. It will walk you through an install (up to 30gig of designated storage on it I believe) and set up a boot loader for you to choose on boot. Then, if you ever want to get rid of it, you uninstall it like any other app on windows.

Otherwise you can download the iso and install it that way through partitioning. Whichever you'd feel more comfortable with to start.

Will this get wiped and reset to original when I update CM9? I'm running darchstar's CM9 BTW.

Yes it will. I will try my best to keep them up to date.

barnacles10

Mar 25, 2010
Would it be possible to take the update zip darch releases and just swap out the files in it with yours and it all work? Will this still wipe the google account and need to be setup again upon booting?

Depending on the changes made between now and then it's unlikely. If there are any changes to framework-res or SystemUI coming from upstream or darch then these mods will need to be updated. [which is very likely]

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
Ubuntu.

Ubuntu even offers something walled "wubi" or windows ubuntu, which allows you to install Ubuntu onto a windows PC much like an application. It will walk you through an install (up to 30gig of designated storage on it I believe) and set up a boot loader for you to choose on boot. Then, if you ever want to get rid of it, you uninstall it like any other app on windows.

Otherwise you can download the iso and install it that way through partitioning. Whichever you'd feel more comfortable with to start.
I will look into 'Wubi' Thanks for everything Barnacles!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I saw these modifications to recent apps which I really liked so I thought I would add it to CM9 on the E4GT. I originally found these modifications in the Nexus forums here and here. There are 3 versions, stock ICS browser style app switching, pictured on the top left[SystemUI.apk from attachments below], Chrome style [SystemUI_Chrome.apk from attachments below] pictured on the top right, and Windows 7 Phone Style below them [found here].

wTyEz.png
    Lqyvo.png

lZEkz.png

These modifications are based off of ICS framework from CM9 Alpha 3. The mod requires 2 modified apks, framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk which will be attached below.

Install instructions:
    If you're using the chrome style, rename to SystemUI.apk before pushing so it overwrites. You will use the same framework for either.

Code:
    adb root
    adb remount
    adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework
    adb reboot

Enjoy :cool:

Note: Pushing framework will likely wipe your Google account.

No worries. Open up a new terminal and do this..

Code:
    cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

Code:
    [SIZE="1"]assuming you have adb mounted[/SIZE]
    Windows Phone 7 Style App Switcher

lZEkz.png

This mod is based off of ICS framework from CM9 Alpha 3. The mod requires 2 modified apks, framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk which will be attached below.

Use the install instructions from here if you're not sure how to install.
    For some reason in es file explorer, I'm not able to push systemui and framework apk's. Tells me it will overwrite (merge files) but then fails to do so....any suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Do you have root access w/ r/w file system enabled in es?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    There is one for AOKP 32 on the NS4G. Maybe someone can make the changes off of that version. I actually have the WP7 version on AOKP now. I wish I had the skill to help but I don't.

Sent from either ET4G or NS4G using Xparent Tapatalk 2

I've been trying to do this very thing. Followed the guide and all that, but i get these damn errors when i decompile and recompile the apks with autoAPK tool. I've looked into this but i'm just not getting it. I tried to ignore the errors but when i push the files it reboots my phone before i can change permissions.. I think its the framework-res.apk that does this. So if anyone (barnacles-ahem) has any insight, please chime:)
    ps. i am by no stretch experienced in this at all lol