Please help: big lag issue

Search This thread

ottomanhero

Jan 4, 2013
App didn't help, I got the same error. Never mind, I give up :) Will use Trickstermod after every single reboot until finally find solution. Thanks @ottomanhero for all your help.

@GalaxyVolvoZ that app looks realy nice. Finally a good replacement for Stock Gallery.

@klbterminator I don't have any problems with SD, at least didn't so far :)

Thanks guys.

Regards,
Vladimir

Well, try to tweak governor settings using trickstermod (and set on boot) and use init.d script for GPU.It kinda bugged scaling before for me but maybe it was caused by something else.You should give it a try ;)

vladja10

Apr 12, 2012
A week ago I flashed CM11 as well as Iodak 9.5 kernel and asked myself: what took me so long to go from stock to CM. Everything works as it should: init.d script, Trickstermod and all other things that didn't work properly on Stock.

But, have to admit, it's not as smooth as I expected. It's a bit laggy, not even close how it was on Stock, but a little bit yes. I'm using following tweaks:

Governor: interactive
Max: 1500000
Min/Max Screen Off: 760000
Scheduler: SIO
CPUQuiet Power: balanced

echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/go_maxspeed_load
echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/midrange_go_maxspeed_load
echo "60000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/min_sample_time
echo "20000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/timer_rate
echo 200 300 400 450 500 600 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/gpu_overclock

Do you guys have any advice how to improve performance a little bit to get rid of lag, but still to have a decent batery life?

elad.g

Nov 10, 2013
The ROM can make a difference, but it has nothing to do with "Free RAM". I wish people would stop perpetuating this myth.

Free RAM is wasted memory on an Android device. Unless you are getting below about 50MB there is not a problem as the device is designed to use as much as it can and then swap it out automatically.

I agree about CM11 though. I'm running the latest nightly and the only problem I have is the delay in waking when you press the power button

Well I saw your posts on some of the threads and I had to address it.
The reason that you have ram on your phone/computer/etc,
Is to give the system the ability to Access the data and use it as fast as she can.
Your saying that free ram is wasted ram is only partially right,
When you see on our phone `150M free ram, it's not because everything is ok.
What the system does, is forcing some important/used apps out of ram and it make them Cached processes To be able to keep that gap of free ram (`150m) which will able the system to run properly.
But actually the system do lack of ram !!! and its messes with the performance,
Because when the system will need that Cached process it will use it while it cached (slow performance) or bring it back to ram while caching another process to keep the gap (again, the result is bad performance).
You can check in your phone and u will c that we have about 100m of cached process (depending on the amount of apps that u use)
So to keep it simple and summarize it:
If you have 1GB of ram on your phone, 150MB free ram , 0 cached processes - free ram is wasted ram
If you have 1GB of ram on your phone, 150MB free ram , >1mb cached processes – your system needs more ram and the maker of this phone made a bad decision, maybe because he wanted to lower the price a little, but still - bad decision

ottomanhero

Jan 4, 2013
A week ago I flashed CM11 as well as Iodak 9.5 kernel and asked myself: what took me so long to go from stock to CM. Everything works as it should: init.d script, Trickstermod and all other things that didn't work properly on Stock.

But, have to admit, it's not as smooth as I expected. It's a bit laggy, not even close how it was on Stock, but a little bit yes. I'm using following tweaks:

echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/midrange_go_maxspeed_load
echo 200 300 400 450 500 600 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/gpu_overclock

Do you guys have any advice how to improve performance a little bit to get rid of lag, but still to have a decent batery life?
-First of all don't use GPU freq 600 mhz, 564 uses less power by far and is stable under less voltage so you get less heat, less power consumption.Not worth for the 36 mhz.
-Deadline scheduler is better than SIO.SIO might show you better benchmarking scores, but it is not as fast as it seems.It isn't stable so you'll get lag spikes.
-Maybe you mean the UI lag.There is really nothing much you can do about it as it doesn't really put any load on CPU so you get some lags.Notice how navigation bar is smoother while using an app, but it gets laggy in launcher.
-Also try vanir, it looks smoother overall (IO etc.) but haven't tried gaming yet.
-Get android tweaker 2 and use some build.prop tweaks.They helped me with UI responsiveness in CM.(Make sure to not enable power supply under battery tweaks, it gave me a bootloop.)
-I found runnable smoother than balanced, somehow.
-I suggest you to keep max freq while screen is off, @ 475 mhz cause it'll be using LP core.I haven't tried music playback as I have my mp4 to do playback stuff but I guess it shouldn't lag on 475 mhz.
-Give seeder a try and/or find entropy enlarger tweaks to keep your entropy high, this helps with overall smoothness of the phone.Vanir seems to have a seeder like service runing to keep the entropy full, so that is why it's so smooth.
-Set readahead cache size to 5.5 mb or 2 mb.5.5 gives me the best benchmark results on 10 MB & 100 MB files (tested via android tuner free)

Stock rom is the slowest of all so I don't really get how you think CM is almost as laggy as stock.

Click thanks if I helped ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well.. Sorry for my false statement and thank you for correcting it :D

4X HD is my very first android device. But that's what I really thought after I flashed the CM11.. Its like whoa, more free space on RAM, and it feels like I'm using a new phone :p

You might want a read of this;-

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care

-First of all don't use GPU freq 600 mhz, 564 uses less power by far and is stable under less voltage so you get less heat, less power consumption.Not worth for the 36 mhz.
    -Deadline scheduler is better than SIO.SIO might show you better benchmarking scores, but it is not as fast as it seems.It isn't stable so you'll get lag spikes.
    -Maybe you mean the UI lag.There is really nothing much you can do about it as it doesn't really put any load on CPU so you get some lags.Notice how navigation bar is smoother while using an app, but it gets laggy in launcher.
    -Also try vanir, it looks smoother overall (IO etc.) but haven't tried gaming yet.
    -Get android tweaker 2 and use some build.prop tweaks.They helped me with UI responsiveness in CM.(Make sure to not enable power supply under battery tweaks, it gave me a bootloop.)
    -I found runnable smoother than balanced, somehow.
    -I suggest you to keep max freq while screen is off, @ 475 mhz cause it'll be using LP core.I haven't tried music playback as I have my mp4 to do playback stuff but I guess it shouldn't lag on 475 mhz.
    -Give seeder a try and/or find entropy enlarger tweaks to keep your entropy high, this helps with overall smoothness of the phone.Vanir seems to have a seeder like service runing to keep the entropy full, so that is why it's so smooth.
    -Set readahead cache size to 5.5 mb or 2 mb.5.5 gives me the best benchmark results on 10 MB & 100 MB files (tested via android tuner free)

Stock rom is the slowest of all so I don't really get how you think CM is almost as laggy as stock.

Click thanks if I helped ;)
    Guys, I need a help. Tried everything, but still facing big lag especially when I click on dialer, contacts or messages (waiting couple of secs until they show up). This is more obvious when I click right after I 'woke up' my phone from deep sleep.

I'm using stock 20b with Iodak v8 kernel (tried v9 as well, but due to bluetooth and fm radio issue on stock, reverted to v8). Also, I did everything what I could found to improve performace: disabled and then deleted MLT, did a full wipe of everything (clean install), installed only apps that I need, turned off 3g, data and gps (only WiFi is on), installed Greenify and so on..

My current setup of kernel is following:
    Governor: interactive (tried ondemand, but was even worst)
    Max: 1600000
    CPUQuiet Power: userspace (noticed that only 3 cores are online instead of 4)

I appreciate any help, but please, don't tell me to search, 'cause I did. As for the other custom roms, I tried CM, but I prefer more stock, mostly because of Gallery, Polaris and FM Radio Apps.

Guys, is there any way to fix this lag issue? I don't care much for the battery, since this lag drives me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Vladimir

This is "normal" for system apps. Download custom apps from google store like ExDialer,GOSms.. That will resolve your lag.. When you install those apps from store, use titanium backup to freeze stock apps(dialer,contacts,messages).
    Oh, really?

Free RAM is NOT wasted RAM.

It directly effects smoothness of the phone.Why do you think android would have Out Of Memory values if it was created to just fill up the RAM with only apps? It still needs some RAM free for caching.

As I stated in my first post;-
    Unless you are getting below about 50MB there is not a problem

Of course you need some free memory, but not hundreds of MBs of it. I notice that you pointed the same XDA quote that is used and linked to by lots of different sites when this is being discussed. To use someone else's quote - better written than I could do so myself;-
    In the most simplistic terms, here is how it works, and why "free RAM is wasted RAM," but also, why you don't want all RAM in use at any given time.

If an application is not in memory when you try to open it, that application haa to be loaded into memory, thus triggering a "load time." Having the application in memory (prefetched) prevents this load time and has the application load near insantly. This is why a modern OS will preload our most commonly used applications into memory. The more memory that you have, the more applications that can be preloaded, the smoother your device will run. Clearing this memory gives you no immeidate benefit, and will actually slow your device. Idle applications in memory consume almost no resources (CPU cycles, battery power, etc.). If an application is consuming resources, that means that it is doing something. Closing it will only force the application to re-load. Using a task killer for this purpose will cause a "boxing match" where the task killer closes the application, the app reopens itself, and back and forth. THIS will consume resources.

However, you want to have some memory free. Your devices will not have enough memory to preload EVERY application, so it has to guess based on your actions. It needs to have enough memory available to quickly load an app that you may want.

Let's say that you want to load an application that requires 256MB of RAM, but you only have 128MB available. This means that the OS is going to try to clear 128MB of RAM to accomodate your app, and as your app loads, will try to clear another 128MB to return to its previous state. This clear/load/clear causes a longer load time and more slowdown than just loading an app not already in memory.

So, the ideal situation is to have most common apps in memory (pre-fetched), but enough memory available to handle 1-2 common apps that are not already pre-loaded. Touchwiz (Samsung) devices allow you to clear memory from the task manager. My S2 had about 870MB of user-available RAM, and if I trashed all apps, it would go as low as 300MB in use. This may look cool, but it is a complete waste of resources, and the OS is simply going to re-load those apps over the next 2-3 minutes anyway. And if you use a task killer to keep your device idling at 300MB of available RAM? This is simply going to slow down the device, harm the battery, and give you the same memory performance and availability that you would get with an HTC G1.

As the OP was stating that "I only have 150 - 200MB Free RAM" with the Stock ROM, that is definitely NOT what is causing a lag issue. If you have that much free memory (before Android goes caching stuff and not declaring it of course) then you are absolutely fine on any Android device there is.