[Q] Boot animation is a black screen?!

Search This thread

spiral6

Feb 26, 2014
Houston
Running an LS-970. I have a custom boot animation that I made, but when I put it in the /system/media folder, it didn't work! Just showed me a black screen. Not even the boot sound worked (it's stock). When I previewed it with Boot Animations in Rom Toolbox, it worked, but was slow. Any ideas on why it's not working? (I've already checked perms, it's read for all, write for owner, and execute for all.) Here's the link to my bootanimation: www[dot] dropbox[dot] com/s/3h7itrkzs5d6ytl/bootanimation[dot]zip (doesn't let me post links, because I'm new. D: )

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
Running an LS-970. I have a custom boot animation that I made, but when I put it in the /system/media folder, it didn't work! Just showed me a black screen. Not even the boot sound worked (it's stock). When I previewed it with Boot Animations in Rom Toolbox, it worked, but was slow. Any ideas on why it's not working? (I've already checked perms, it's read for all, write for owner, and execute for all.) Here's the link to my bootanimation: www[dot] dropbox[dot] com/s/3h7itrkzs5d6ytl/bootanimation[dot]zip (doesn't let me post links, because I'm new. D: )

Are you running stock? If you are on stock and not a custom rom, it has to be named bootanimation_sprint.zip. And the sounds have to be named PowerOn_Sprint.ogg - spelled exactly like that. The file you linked to is just bootanimation.zip which is fine for most phones but not ours. If you are on an AOSP based rom, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I'm getting ready to leave for work so don't have the time to test myself unfortunately. But I downloaded it and will test when I get home and let you know what happens.

EDIT: I do see that it's HUGE for a bootani. Whether it has anything to do with it or not, you may want to run a png optimization program to bring the size down on your images. My bootanimation is the video opening to Doctor Who and is half the mb size of yours but still at 1280x768 full resolution.

Last edited:

spiral6

Feb 26, 2014
Houston
I am running stock, but I disabled the Sprint animation and sound by adding .bak to their files, and when I previewed that, showed the default LG logo animation and sound. I then replaced that with mine... but like I said, black screen. D:
As for a .png optimization app, where can I get that?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
I am running stock, but I disabled the Sprint animation and sound by adding .bak to their files, and when I previewed that, showed the default LG logo animation and sound. I then replaced that with mine... but like I said, black screen. D:
As for a .png optimization app, where can I get that?

Hmmm, the png optimization, if you are on windows, I am not gonna be of much help. You could just google it and see what ya get. Im on linux, so its pretty much one command from the terminal.

Im currenty trying to figure it out myself, everything seems right, as soon as I get something I will let you know but Im distracted, not enough hours in the day - lol.

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
I run Linux on a VM. :D

Well you can use optipng but I just tried that and got errors on the last 20 or so pictures. Same thing happens when I tried converting them to jpgs with imagemagick and when I ran jpegoptim, it didn't optimize them at all......

They all load just fine in gimp though. I don't claim to be an expert but have made a bunch of bootanimations and honestly can't see what the problem is. Everything looks as it should, but Ive never gotten errors with those programs before. I will have more time but not until this weekend - if you don't figure anything out, let me know and I will take your images and do a bootani from scratch with them for ya. ;) PM me or post here on Friday to remind/update me.

Sorry I wish I had an answer but it's really weird!

spiral6

Feb 26, 2014
Houston
I originally thought that the problem was with compression... (it said to use "store" compression instead of "normal" compression on the thread), and also noticed the last few images are just black bigger resolution images (as well as the first two frames), so I'm just as confused as you are about this. Well, thanks for trying to help. And that would really help me out if you made it by scratch... I can send you the source .avi if needed. And you already have the .png sequence... thanks in advance! :D

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
I originally thought that the problem was with compression... (it said to use "store" compression instead of "normal" compression on the thread), and also noticed the last few images are just black bigger resolution images (as well as the first two frames), so I'm just as confused as you are about this. Well, thanks for trying to help. And that would really help me out if you made it by scratch... I can send you the source .avi if needed. And you already have the .png sequence... thanks in advance! :D

No problem, I figure if I resave everything you have in gimp we will see what happens. For me, the last images, aren't black, the first ones are - the last ones are completely transparent. And yeah it has to be stored with zero compression(or stored in 7zip) but I already did that to them. Im thinking the compression or values saved into the pngs themselves are the culprit. Ill have time friday night, maybe tonight but no promises, work is kickin my a$$. lol.

spiral6

Feb 26, 2014
Houston
No problem, I figure if I resave everything you have in gimp we will see what happens. For me, the last images, aren't black, the first ones are - the last ones are completely transparent. And yeah it has to be stored with zero compression(or stored in 7zip) but I already did that to them. Im thinking the compression or values saved into the pngs themselves are the culprit. Ill have time friday night, maybe tonight but no promises, work is kickin my a$$. lol.
So are you going to do it today? :D

spiral6

Feb 26, 2014
Houston
No you're not. That forest temple ain't easy man. And there's the Water Temple...

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
No you're not. That forest temple ain't easy man. And there's the Water Temple...

Ive beaten this game and the original more times than I can count. Im 31, it's one of my favorites, been playing it since it came out all those years ago. Crushed the forest temple in 35 minutes. Im halfway through converting your images btw. ;)

The water temple is my least favorite tho.....

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
Same, still have my original 64. :) Absolutely fantastic.

Yeah I lost my 64. But I have the emulator on my lgog and mupen64 on my linux pc which is what I was playing on tonight. Almost done - will rezip and test on my phone and see what happens. If it works, Ill upload it to my devhost for you.

I-IoLLoW

Oct 1, 2013
Pittsburgh
Ok, I changed all the images to jpg which significantly cut the size down. But still got a black screen. Looked at the desc.txt file again, changed the 1 0 part to 0 0......and it worked. I don't get it because the code was right and if your phone takes longer to boot up it will loop if it's 0 0. But, it works. I uploaded it for you here. If the image resolution doesnt look as good with jpegs, you can just use your original file and change the desc.txt file and see if that works. ;)