Easiest way to 4.4.2?

Search This thread

stick1300

Jun 15, 2010
I'm wanting to update my gf's M to 4.4.2 and am wondering the easiest way to go about it. It's currently rooted and running a custom ROM, but she doesn't care about any of that. Could I just download the sbf and used RSD Lite to flash it? Or would I need to flash an earlier build and then take the OTA? I'm not worried about keeping root or an unlocked bootloader, but would there be any way to keep her Candy Crush data (that's the only thing on the phone that means anything to her)?

stick1300

Jun 15, 2010
Awesome! Any chance at saving her game data? I was going to try Helium, but I remember that Moto broke it.

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
You can edit the .xml file so that it doesn't wipe userdata, and that should let her phone keep all its settings, apps, data, etc. It'd definitely be smart to also back that stuff up with TB as well, though. If you do edit the .xml that RSD Lite uses to flash, make sure to use something like Notepad++, and not just Windows Notepad. I think you also have to edit out the getvar line if you're flashing over a non-stock ROM. If you've done the NV edit with RadioComm, supposedly you can also delete the modemst1 and modemst2 lines, and you shouldn't have to redo the GSM hack.

Reactions: ezknives

thad137

Apr 22, 2013
Is there a way a person could flash just the bootloader in RSD instead of wiping my custom rom?

xKroniK13x

May 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
www.coreymccown.com
Is there a way a person could flash just the bootloader in RSD instead of wiping my custom rom?

I've seen some reports that you can do the boot.img file, but it softbricks most devices. I'd suggest just backing up your stuff and flashing stock and then go back to your ROM. Or just leave it, unless its CM11.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013

I believe the answer would be no... I think your asking if you could go from the jb bootloader to the kk one or vise versa via rsd by only flashing the boot loader and keep your current ROM... if that's the case no as the Roms (not sure how it all works) have become dependent on which boot loader you have... So the ROM your on probably will not function if you could flash just the boot loader... Like as I'm on kk I can't use PAC man as it needs the jb boot loader or whatever... And if your on jb (last I checked) you can't use the newer builds of kitstalk... So your best bet would be stay as you are or flash the whole thing IMHO...but I may be wrong

Edit... That's the second time we have started a reply at the same time @xKroniK13x you get it out faster tho....

Last edited:

xKroniK13x

May 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
www.coreymccown.com
I believe the answer would be no... I think your asking if you could go from the jb bootloader to the kk one or vise versa via rsd by only flashing the boot loader and keep your current ROM... if that's the case no as the Roms (not sure how it all works) have become dependent on which boot loader you have... So the ROM your on probably will not function if you could flash just the boot loader... Like as I'm on kk I can't use PAC man as it needs the jb boot loader or whatever... And if your on jb (last I checked) you can't use the newer builds of kitstalk... So your best bet would be stay as you are or flash the whole thing IMHO...but I may be wrong

Edit... That's the second time we have started a reply at the same time @xKroniK13x you get it out faster tho....

At least we post similar responses! ?

Reactions: ezknives

thad137

Apr 22, 2013
I've seen some reports that you can do the boot.img file, but it softbricks most devices. I'd suggest just backing up your stuff and flashing stock and then go back to your ROM. Or just leave it, unless its CM11.

Thanks I'll just go ahead and go through the entire process of flashing everything for the new version of Paranoid Android.

UPDATE: I manually flashed everything but "system" and "recovery" and then flashed dhacker's recovery from here ( loki.rombitch . com/Devs/Dhacker29/msm8960/TWRP2710-RAZR_M-KITKAT.img ) then I flashed the Paranoid Android update and everything is working.

Last edited:

stick1300

Jun 15, 2010
You can edit the .xml file so that it doesn't wipe userdata, and that should let her phone keep all its settings, apps, data, etc. It'd definitely be smart to also back that stuff up with TB as well, though. If you do edit the .xml that RSD Lite uses to flash, make sure to use something like Notepad++, and not just Windows Notepad. I think you also have to edit out the getvar line if you're flashing over a non-stock ROM. If you've done the NV edit with RadioComm, supposedly you can also delete the modemst1 and modemst2 lines, and you shouldn't have to redo the GSM hack.

Yeah, I read about this in another thread and it worked fine. She's now on stock 4.42 and has her treasured Candy Crush data.

Now, if I could just get her wifi working again. I've done so much reading about the issue lying in the /persist (and/or /prima) folder, but, even after trying multiple "clean" copies of it and fixing permissions and everything else people have suggested, I can't get it working again.

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
I wish I could help there but I don't have any useful info to offer. I've heard a number of complaints about the WiFi on KK on the Razr M, so I don't think it's just you. I heard they're testing another KK update, maybe it'll fix it when it rolls out. I did notice that the time I tried flashing the KK radio onto my stock JB, it totally broke my WiFi and I had to flash back.

stick1300

Jun 15, 2010
I wish I could help there but I don't have any useful info to offer. I've heard a number of complaints about the WiFi on KK on the Razr M, so I don't think it's just you. I heard they're testing another KK update, maybe it'll fix it when it rolls out. I did notice that the time I tried flashing the KK radio onto my stock JB, it totally broke my WiFi and I had to flash back.

It stopped working when she was still on JB. I had hoped updating would fix it, but no such luck. The only way I managed to get it working in the past was by reflashing the ROM that was on the phone, but it stopped working again after a few weeks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yea just grab 4.4.2 KitKat and flash it with rsd. . then flash SuperSU or use towelroot to get root back

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Will this work if I already have an unlocked bootloader (from the exploit in Jelly Bean)?

Sure will. You will lose root but not the unlocked bootloader.