[Q] Will 2.3.4 break root on my N1?

Search This thread

XodoX

Aug 10, 2010
Chicago, IL
So yesterday I finally found some time to root Gingerbread on my Nexus One. We're moving to Germany from the U.S. in a month and the last couple of weeks I just didn't have any time to get it done. I had my N1 rooted when I was on Froyo and was desperate to root it again on GB.

Last night I set a couple of hours aside to familiarize myself with the GingerBreak exploit and ended up with a rooted N1 and Gingerbread 2.3.3

Here's the funny part... not 30 minutes after rooting I get an OTA notification to update to 2.3.4. Go figure!

Can anyone confirm that 2.3.4 will break root on the N1? If so, will the GingerBreak exploit still work to root GB again?

What would be the preferred/easiest method to upgrade to 2.3.4 and retain root?

sirgoob

Aug 18, 2010
2.3.4 will break root. just use the gingerbreak app again and youll be rooted

XodoX

Aug 10, 2010
Chicago, IL
I figured it would break root but just needed some confirmation! :)

I didn't actually use the .apk but ran the exploit myself. I think this time around I may just use the .apk though.

Is it confirmed that the app will root 2.3.4?

sidiotman

Jan 23, 2011
tanger
The new OTA break the root

This morning i have rooted my nexus one and root died.
I am trying Gingerbreak 1.2 after 25 minutes i cancelled it.

XodoX

Aug 10, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not if you already have a custom recovery installed...

All right, let me recap so I'm not missing anything.

1. I download the 2.3.4 update from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1061270, rename it update.zip and place it in the root of my SD

2. Then I download the su zip from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=682828 and also place it in the root of my SD

3. Then I reboot into Clockwork and apply the update.zip

4. Once that's done I DO NOT reboot and apply the su zip

Is that it or am I missing something?

Last edited:

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
Don't apply it as an update, because your phone will reboot once it's done. If you reboot, you will lose your custom recovery. Use the "install zip from SD" option...

Reactions: yorrickbrown

Nikos_s3

Aug 10, 2010
I tried to apply the update as zip from sd card and I got the following error, which seems to have something to do with google books
apply_patch_check(''/system/app/BooksPhone.apk'',numbers and letters
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7)
Installation aborted.

Any ideas? Maybe it is because I had integrate Books into ROM? Any solutions?
Thanks a lot.

XodoX

Aug 10, 2010
Chicago, IL
I tried to apply the update as zip from sd card and I got the following error, which seems to have something to do with google books
apply_patch_check(''/system/app/BooksPhone.apk'',numbers and letters
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7)
Installation aborted.

Any ideas? Maybe it is because I had integrate Books into ROM? Any solutions?
Thanks a lot.

I'm getting the same error. I thought maybe it was because I had deleted Google Books from my system apps but after restoring the BooksPhone.apk I still get it. Not sure what the problem is.

lolobabes

Mar 1, 2010
Manila

this is only for those who havent flashed the un-edited update i guess. I flashed the original update too soon and it removed the root access on my wifes N1. I tried flashing the su last night it didnt work, really frustrating... ahihihihi

I was thinking if I flash the backup on 2.3.3 will that bring back the root access? or at least I can already use Gingerbreak then? ty

Last edited:

Pepits

Mar 24, 2011
All right, let me recap so I'm not missing anything.

1. I download the 2.3.4 update from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1061270, rename it update.zip and place it in the root of my SD

2. Then I download the su zip from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=682828 and also place it in the root of my SD

3. Then I reboot into Clockwork and apply the update.zip

4. Once that's done I DO NOT reboot and apply the su zip

Is that it or am I missing something?
i have stock 2.3.4 unrooted recovery stock.
Which file should i use? Do i have to rename files?
thanks!

XodoX

Aug 10, 2010
Chicago, IL
Now I have an additional question. I wasn't able to use the original update file from Google, presumably because I had deleted the Google Books app. I kept getting the above-mentioned error.

Just out of curiosity, how could I get Google Books back so the update would run? Just placing it in /system/app didn't seem to work.

Not that it really matters, I used the modified update file that danger-rat posted, but for the future I would like to know how I can avoid this error.

Nikos_s3

Aug 10, 2010
Not that it really matters, I used the modified update file that danger-rat posted, but for the future I would like to know how I can avoid this error.

I used same update file,but though flashing went fine, my Wifi gives error all the time and cannot turn it on....Back to 2.3.3 for now...:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just boot into recovery, flash the update as file from SD, and then flash the su zip...
    Don't apply it as an update, because your phone will reboot once it's done. If you reboot, you will lose your custom recovery. Use the "install zip from SD" option...
    Now I have an additional question. I wasn't able to use the original update file from Google, presumably because I had deleted the Google Books app. I kept getting the above-mentioned error.

Just out of curiosity, how could I get Google Books back so the update would run? Just placing it in /system/app didn't seem to work.

Next time you wasn't to remove an app from /system, you may be better off just adding a .bak extension to it (the space it takes isn't really useable). You can then just remove the extension later...
    so I take it doing this won't work:

- flash update.zip with CWM
    - flash SU.zip
    - ???
    - Win!

how do you flash SU.zip btw... with CWM too? how come a lot of posts say this is the way to get 2.3.4 rooted ... I have 2.3.3 rooted right now (Gingerbreak) ...

There are instructions at the beginning of this thread. You dont root 2.3.4 this way but keep the root you had with 2.3.3.

By the way, love your user name. I'm a big Vince Flynn fan. I wonder if Mitch Rapp happened to be in Pakistan a few days ago. lol

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App