[Q] i9023 bricked. Secure: on (S-ON), radio XXXXX

Search This thread

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
Try installing factory images from fastboot, You dont need the screen for that just get it to download mode.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1572307

Well, that would be the normal thing to do after resurrecting with AdamOutler's tool. But unfortunately I can't because of the i9020XXXXX baseband version. It prevents me from flashing bootloader.img or radio.img. When I try, it just says "failed to write". I tried to remove the radio partition but that doesn't work either...

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Well, that would be the normal thing to do after resurrecting with AdamOutler's tool. But unfortunately I can't because of the i9020XXXXX baseband version. It prevents me from flashing bootloader.img or radio.img. When I try, it just says "failed to write". I tried to remove the radio partition but that doesn't work either...

Have you tried this command:

fastboot -w update image-********.zip

There are files within another folder in that .zip, it is not the bootloader or radio.img. It MAY work, although i do doubt it.

Some background reading, which asks more than it answers, can be found here.

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal

You don't need a working radio to flash anything, you know. :S

Since you got adb working, you should be able to use fastboot to do all your stuff.

Use a flashlight to shine the screen and see what's going on if you can't see anything.

Boot into fastboot mode (VOL+ and PWR), make sure your phone is unlocked (command is: fastboot oem unlock). Unlock it if it's not.

Then flash CWM using fastboot, command being: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Where recovery.img is the name of your recovery. Latest recovery can be found here:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img

After that, power down and reboot in recovery (VOL+ and PWR, then select recovery. Scroll to Mounts and Storage then mount USB storage. Your computer should popup a new drive, if not, disconnect your phone and connect it again.

Once that new drive popups up, transfer any compatible ROM of your choice and flash it using CWM. Tada!

Edit: Also, flash a working radio. KF1 will do.
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=737283&stc=1&d=1317509083

Reactions: Harbb

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney

Since you got adb working, you should be able to use fastboot to do all your stuff.

Use a flashlight to shine the screen and see what's going on if you can't see anything.

Boot into fastboot mode (VOL+ and PWR), make sure your phone is unlocked (command is: fastboot oem unlock). Unlock it if it's not.

Then flash CWM using fastboot, command being: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Where recovery.img is the name of your recovery. Latest recovery can be found here:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img

After that, power down and reboot in recovery (VOL+ and PWR, then select recovery. Scroll to Mounts and Storage then mount USB storage. Your computer should popup a new drive, if not, disconnect your phone and connect it again.

Once that new drive popups up, transfer any compatible ROM of your choice and flash it using CWM. Tada!

Go through that post i linked to above. The information i gathered means, to me, that the radio is not simply a driver for cell network hardware and transmission. I think that the radio might mean more than this, something the rest of the phone relies on to function normally, even without signal. It probably has some solid ties to fastboot, as seen in not allowing fastboot to flash a bootloader.

Or I could be crazy, you never know :rolleyes:

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Go through that post i linked to above. The information i gathered means, to me, that the radio is not simply a driver for cell network hardware and transmission. I think that the radio might mean more than this, something the rest of the phone relies on to function normally, even without signal. It probably has some solid ties to fastboot, as seen in not allowing fastboot to flash a bootloader.

Interesting discussion but I've been radio-less for a few days once after a bad radio flash and during that time I flashed roms without any issue, heck I update my CWM recovery for TWRP back then. My baseband was also showing "Unknown". Never caused me any problem other than the fact I couldn't get a cellphone signal. That makes it hard to believe it's an essential part of the boot process.

All in all, it seems irrelevant to the current discussion. *shrugs*

Reactions: Harbb

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Interesting discussion but I've been radio-less for a few days once after a bad radio flash and during that time I flashed roms without any issue, heck I update my CWM recovery for TWRP back then. My baseband was also showing "Unknown". Never caused me any problem other than the fact I couldn't get a cellphone signal. That makes it hard to believe it's an essential part of the boot process.

Interesting. Will keep this in mind the next time i go drifting off thinking about this stuff, thanks. Just a question though, was it a corrupted flash or flashing a non-compatible radio (NS4G -> i9020T, i9020A -> i9020T or something)?

Not sure if Androyd has tried fastboot for installing the ROM yet but it does seem unlikely it'll work while he can't flash a bootloader/radio via fastboot. Androyd, can you by any chance go into recovery and use adb successfully, particularly adb shell?

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Interesting. Will keep this in mind the next time i go drifting off thinking about this stuff, thanks. Just a question though, was it a corrupted flash or flashing a non-compatible radio (NS4G -> i9020T, i9020A -> i9020T or something)?

Not sure if Androyd has tried fastboot for installing the ROM yet but it does seem unlikely it'll work while he can't flash a bootloader/radio via fastboot. Androyd, can you by any chance go into recovery and use adb successfully, particularly adb shell?

I am not sure because it was around last August, but I believe it was simply a corrupted flash when I tried KD1 for i9020a/i9020t/i9023 from here. From then on I just stuck to using KB3 and/or UC based radios only meant for i9020a and moved on with my life.

I think we need a bullet list of what Androyd is able and not able to do at the moment. I see he's able to boot to recovery by loading one using fasboot. Shows fastboot is in working order. From then on I don't see why he can't anything though.

Reactions: Androyed and Harbb

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
That would be what we need so we can get fresh ideas if need be. Specific things which you can and can't do, and any error messages or extra steps involved doing/attempting something.

Looking over, this may end up being another flash storage failure, but we've yet to eliminate everything, and there are still a couple of options to try before sucking up to samsung.

Reactions: Androyed

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
You don't need a working radio to flash anything, you know. :S Well, with my Nexus S you do. I can't flash a new bootloader, nor a radio.img. That's a fact. I tried it, it doesn't work. I searched around on the internet, and apparently it has something to do with the radio. It is the i9020XXXXX baseband version, and because my bootloader version is something else, it prevents me from flashing a radio or a bootloader. Don't ask me why, but it is true. Not much is known about this problem though...

Since you got adb working, you should be able to use fastboot to do all your stuff. Well, fastboot does recognise my device, and so does ADB. I just can't flash bootloader or radio...

Use a flashlight to shine the screen and see what's going on if you can't see anything. I tried several recoveries, and while I can see SOMETHING with a flashlight, I can't read anything and I also can't see anything moving when I press the volume buttons. The only way I can get recovery working is to boot it with fastboot using the "fastboot boot recovery.img" command. I got that tip from someone, and he says it only works with CWM 3.1.0.1. I also tried it with 5.X.X.X, and while I can see some thick lines (like the line that moves when you press the volume buttons), they don't move when you press the volume buttons. The soft keys say that I'm in recovery though (menu and back button light up). But how can I know for sure I am? Because nothing on the screen changes when I scroll...

Boot into fastboot mode (VOL+ and PWR), make sure your phone is unlocked (command is: fastboot oem unlock). Unlock it if it's not. I can't boot into fastboot mode, like I said. I can resurrect my phone to download mode, and then I can boot it into recovery. But when I power off after that I have to resurrect again. And yes, the bootloader is unlocked. It was locked first (which is strange because before the brick it was unlocked), but fortunately the fastboot oem unlock command worked.

http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img I can flash recovery with fastboot, but it doesn't matter. Because when I reboot, my phone goes dead again. Then I have to resurrect it again, and then I'm back to square one. The only way I can get into recovery is by booting into it using "fastboot boot recovery.img", like I explained above.

After that, power down and reboot in recovery (VOL+ and PWR, then select recovery. Scroll to Mounts and Storage then mount USB storage. Your computer should popup a new drive, if not, disconnect your phone and connect it again. Can't boot into anything, unless I use the resurrector. I also can't see anything. Not in download mode, not in recovery. Which is a bug, I know...

Once that new drive popups up, transfer any compatible ROM of your choice and flash it using CWM. Tada! I wish it was this easy...

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=737283&stc=1&d=1317509083 Can't flash a radio, like I explained.

Reply in bold. Hopefully you now understand my problem isn't that easy. I'm glad the resurrector works though. I guess that means my phone isn't totally dead...

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011

I can go into recovery using "fastboot boot recovery.img". I can use ADB to push files (like an OTA). I can TRY to flash the OTA, but I can't see ANYTHING changing on my screen. I see some lines but nothing changes. So I have now idea what I'm selecting... Of course I searched for pictures of CWM menus on the internet, but I still can't know for certain if it worked.

I am not sure because it was around last August, but I believe it was simply a corrupted flash when I tried KD1 for i9020a/i9020t/i9023 from here. From then on I just stuck to using KB3 and/or UC based radios only meant for i9020a and moved on with my life.

I think we need a bullet list of what Androyd is able and not able to do at the moment. I see he's able to boot to recovery by loading one using fasboot. Shows fastboot is in working order. From then on I don't see why he can't anything though.

Bullet list is coming in a few hours. I'm not at home at the moment.

That would be what we need so we can get fresh ideas if need be. Specific things which you can and can't do, and any error messages or extra steps involved doing/attempting something.

Looking over, this may end up being another flash storage failure, but we've yet to eliminate everything, and there are still a couple of options to try before sucking up to samsung.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me! That is really great!

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
I think both your last posts give a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Would still need the errors you get when you try flashing something though.

It's possible the internal memory is shot, but from reading the thread there doesn't seem to be any sign of that being the problem.

If you can boot into recovery using ressurector, I'd be curious to see if you were able to mount your phone memory. You can guide yourself blindly if you know how CWM looks like... ;)

Main menu
nexus-s-cwm-recovery-small.png

You start with the cursor on the first selection

Mount menu
IMG_6071.jpg

So looking at this, you can press VOL+ 4 times to highlight Mounts and storage. You press power once. You press VOL+ 2 times then you press power. This mounts the USB storage. Try to transfer something (anything), turn off your phone, resurrect it and go back to recovery, remount the storage and check from your computer if the file is still there. If it is, doubt your memory is dead.

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Hi, I need help (sorry for my english)

Yesterday, i've done an upgrade of my nexus s with the ota message.

Unfortunatly, the upgrade didn't work and my phone was not responding.

With Adam tool, i was able to put my device in download mode only with the Galaxy S device.

I put some KERNEL, PARAM, BOOT ... on the device with the Heimdall-frontend program.

Now my phone is no longer recognized by windows.

When i start the device, first seach and home ligth is on, then the four ligth is on (home, search, menu and back). After that, the flash ligth turn on with the four button ligth on. And nothing happend.

When i plug the usb, all the ligth turn off except the search and home ligth, but the UnBrickable.jar does not detect the phone.

What can I do ?

Please help .

Please create your own topic. Thanks!

Créer ton propre sujet sur le forum stp, pour éviter la confusion. Merci!

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
1) With AdamOutler's Unbrickable Resurrector I can get into download mode. Sometimes it doesn't work but when I pull out the battery it works again.

Now I can flash every partition with fastboot, except for;
- the bootloader (which is XXKA3)
- the radio (which is XXXXX)
The probable cause for this is the fact that "secure: on", according to "fastboot getvar all". This is very weird because no one on the internet has a Nexus S with "secure: on". It is some security for i.a. HTC devices.

When flashing the bootloader or radio, I get the following error:
sending 'bootloader/radio' <file size>...
OKAY [time]
writing 'bootloader/radio'...
FAILED <remote: Write Fail>
finished. total time: time

Using "fastboot -w update image-******.zip":
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
After that the flash goes fine. When it reboots, my phone is dead again. This is because the radio didn't change with this zip. If there would be a radio in that zip, it would not have worked anyway.

The radio is booted first in android, and because of this I can't do anything (the XXXXX version is wrong). This is probably also why the recovery doesn't work properly (see below). And the "secure: on" prevents me from flashing another radio.

2) With "fastboot boot recovery.img" I can get in the recovery mode. ADB "shell" works, and so does "push" and "pull". The screen is black, though. Even with a very strong flashlight I still can't see anything. I can only see 2 or 3 lines (it is different with each recovery). When I press the volume buttons to scroll, I see no changes at all on my screen.

What I have tried in recovery:
- Installing an OTA zip. I can ADB "push" an OTA zip. I have checked that with ADB "shell". Since I can't see anything I have to guide myself using pictures from CWM menus. But nothing happens. There is no sign that the install worked. The only sign that I'm actually in recovery is that the menu and back softkey are lit up, and that when I press the power button without pressing the volume buttons first, my phone powers off (this is because "reboot system now" is on top of the list in recovery, I guess).
- ADB pushing anything on /sdcard. When I turn off my phone after that and resurrect it again, the file is gone. This could be because my memory is dead. But isn't this because the resurrector removes it? Anyway, when I push a file with ADB, it definitely is on my sdcard. Only after rebooting and resurrecting it isn't...

NOTE: Rebooting/booting in whatever mode doesn't work. The only two things I can do are listed above. The moment I plug out my device, I have to use the resurrector again. Because of this there it makes no sense to flash a recovery, since I can't boot anyway. The only way I can get into recovery is by using "fastboot boot recovery.img".
NOTE 2: Recovery.log shows some errors. I will post the whole log soon...

Possible solutions?
A) How can I flash a different radio, despite of "secure: on"?

B) Can we change "secure: on" to "secure: off"? For HTC users this is as normal as "fastboot oem unlock", but there is no one on the internet that has a Nexus S with "secure: on".

Last edited:

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Ah! Knew something was up. If your phone shows S-ON, that's exactly why you can't flash to your partitions.
We need to figure on what the heck is up with the bootloader.

Reactions: Androyed

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
Ah! Knew something was up. If your phone shows S-ON, that's exactly why you can't flash to your partitions.
We need to figure on what the heck is up with the bootloader.

Thanks for your help, polobunny!

Mind that I can flash to boot and recovery. I only can't flash to bootloader and radio. And the XXXXX radio prevents me from booting up, unless I use the resurrector.

I'm sorry if I was being a little vague before. I have no knowledge about this stuff whatsoever. I hope my last post made things clear a little bit.

I will upload the recovery.log with the errors soon.

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
What's also an important question: how on earth did I get secure: on (S-ON)? There is not a single person on the internet with Samsung, let alone a Nexus S, that has S-ON.

I updated from a nightly from begin march to the 7 april nightly from CM9. I also updated from matrix CFS 18.0 kernel to the CFS 18.5 kernel. I flashed the latest gapps. I flashed the reloadedICS mod. I have rebooted several times after that and all the time everything was working fine, even better than before. But the same day, my battery went empty pretty quick. I put it in the charger, boot it up, it freezes/crashes when I try to open facebook in the browser, I unplug the charger, pull out the battery, put it in again, and then my phone wouldn't start again...

The only way that I can think of to get rid of S-ON is by using HBOOT. But how the hell can I trick HBOOT into thinking that my Nexus S is a HTC device?

I'm really at a loss here....

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
When trying to erase the radio partition, I get the following error:

fastboot erase radio
erasing 'radio'...
FAILED <remote: No Allowance on This Partition>
finished. total time 0.000s

When trying to flash another radio (for example xxki1), I get this error:

fastboot flash radio radio-xxki1.img
sending 'radio' <12288 KB>...
OKAY [ 12.484s ]
writing 'radio'...
FAILED <remote: Write Fail>
finished. total time: 13.234s

Here is the recovery.log:
Starting recovery on Fri Apr 13 18:27:41 2012
can't open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory
framebuffer: fd 3 (480 x 800)
ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.0
recovery filesystem table
=========================
0 /tmp ramdisk (null) (null)
1 /sdcard vfat /dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name/media (null)
2 /system ext4 /dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name/system (null)
3 /cache yaffs2 cache (null)
4 /data ext4 /dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name/userdata (null)
5 /misc mtd misc (null)
6 /boot mtd boot (null)
7 /recovery mtd recovery (null)
8 /bootloader mtd bootloader (null)
9 /radio mtd radio (null)

W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /sd-ext during fstab generation!
I:Completed outputting fstab.
I:processing arguments.
mtd: ECC errors (0 soft, 62 hard) at 0x00000000
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00000000 (ret 1 errno 2)
mtd: successfully wrote block at 40000
I:Set boot command "boot-recovery"
I:Checking arguments.
I:device_recovery_start()
Command: "/sbin/recovery"

ro.secure=0
ro.allow.mock.location=1
ro.debuggable=1
persist.service.adb.enable=1
ro.build.id=GRJ22
ro.build.display.id=GRJ90
ro.build.version.incremental=121341
ro.build.version.sdk=10
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.3.5
ro.build.date=Mon Sep 5 11:04:10 PDT 2011
ro.build.date.utc=0
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=koush
ro.build.host=Koushik-Lion.local
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=Nexus S
ro.product.brand=google
ro.product.name=soju
ro.product.device=crespo
ro.product.board=herring
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=s5pc110
ro.build.product=crespo
ro.build.description=soju-user 2.3.4 GRJ22 121341 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=google/soju/crespo:2.3.4/GRJ22/121341:user/release-keys
rild.libpath=/vendor/lib/libsec-ril.so
rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyS0
ro.sf.lcd_density=240
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.opengles.version=131072
wifi.interface=eth0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m
ro.rommanager.developerid=cyanogenmod
ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-google
ro.com.android.wifi-watchlist=GoogleGuest
ro.setupwizard.enterprise_mode=1
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=false
ro.config.ringtone=Playa.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=regulus.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Beep_03.ogg
ro.ril.enable.managed.roaming=1
ro.ril.oem.nosim.ecclist=911,112,999,000,08,118,120,122,110,119,995
ro.ril.emc.mode=2
ro.modversion=CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1-NS-KANG
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
net.change=net.bt.name
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
ro.factorytest=0
ro.serialno=3730A8FB170800EC
ro.bootmode=unknown
ro.baseband=I9020XXXXX
ro.carrier=TMB
ro.bootloader=I9020XXKA3
ro.hardware=herring
ro.revision=4
init.svc.recovery=running
init.svc.adbd=running

I:Checking for extendedcommand...
I:Skipping execution of extendedcommand, file not found...
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00000000 (ret 1 errno 9)
mtd: successfully wrote block at 40000
I:Set boot command ""

I was trying to fastboot boot recovery.img again, this time with a stock recovery. According to fastboot there were no errors, but now neither fastboot nor adb recognizes my device anymore. And my Nexus S shows the search and home key, as if I were still in download mode. What the hell? I have never experienced this.

Edit; by the way, fastboot getvar all says:

instead of security: on (S-ON).

Last edited:

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
Anyone? Please? I have little to no knowledge about this stuff, and I have tried everything I can think of. I have spent hours on the internet reading, searching...

But now I have absolutely NO idea what to do. I think I might be the first guy with a non-HTC device with S-ON...

Can anyone PLEASE help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just another tip: if you can enter recovery, you should try ADB.
    Enter "adb shell" on your PC, and fill the radio/baseband partition with zeros (with the "dd" tool). If it's done, you can try flashing a proper radio firmware image to it.
    You can find a list of your partitions by issuing the command "cat /proc/partitions" (you should copy its content to this thread as well).
    Your screen is not working probably because the baseband firmware contains its drivers. The baseband image contains many drivers, though its name comes from the radio driver part.

If the further attempts are not successful, then it could easily happen, that your NAND chip is corrupted.
    Unfortunately exactly those part got corrupted (i. e. bad blocks), which contains the baseband image (see your recovery log).
    The system (FTL layer) flags the bad blocks, so they cannot be accessed by Linux (i. e. recovery system). That's why you cannot write them.
    But on a lower level you can reflash those "corrupted" parts as well. You will need a low-level NAND flasher tool (Odin?), which doesn't checks for bad blocks, just simply writes. Chances are, that the flagged blocks are not corrupted at all, just the system thinks it, by this making impossible to flash a new baseband image by general tools (adb/fastboot).
    You should check, whether this mobile can be connected to a PC in DFU mode, in which a low-level NAND flash seems possible.

Important! When you flash bootloader and baseband/radio images, the order of flashing matters!
    Flash the bootloader before the radio, and reboot after flashing bootloader or radio.

It can happen, that your EFS partition got corrupted. If it's true and you don't have a backup of it, then you cannot restore it and probably your IMEI is also lost. The next command (for a Nexus) presumably makes a backup image of efs, which can then be checked for consistency:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/efs of=/sdcard/efs.img
    The next command makes a backup of your baseband/radio image:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio bs=4096 of=/mnt/sdcard/radio.img
    If you exchange the parameters of "if" and "of", you can flash/restore a radio image.

Update: you can check the next folder for device files as well:
    Code:
    /dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name

Bootloader, baseband/radio firmware images can be found on this link:
    code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html

If you have a i9023 device, you'll need to check out section "Factory Images "soju" for Nexus S (worldwide version, i9020t and i9023)". Please unpack the aforementioned img-s from the zip.

You should check the /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/ folder for block devices containing firmware. Though most partitions containing firmware images can be hidden by default, but they still can be accessed and modified (with restoring purposes as well) through a serial console. A serial console with UART can be activated through your USB port by connecting appropriate resistors to some pins.

If your further attempts to flash a proper baseband image are not successful, then one of the last hopes is enabling serial console.