No KitKat Update? SOLVED

Search This thread

Mon431

Feb 25, 2014
I think I figured out why people aren't receiving the update on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.

If you all remember, the previous update (which allowed roaming in Canada) had a build number of JSS15J.I535VRUCNC1. That is the exact same build number for the update that brings us to Android 4.4.2. I am assuming that since the previous update has the same build number, when we check for updates, Verizon thinks we are on the latest update. This is just a guess that I thought I should have some light shed on.

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
I think I figured out why people aren't receiving the update on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.

If you all remember, the previous update (which allowed roaming in Canada) had a build number of JSS15J.I535VRUCNC1. That is the exact same build number for the update that brings us to Android 4.4.2. I am assuming that since the previous update has the same build number, when we check for updates, Verizon thinks we are on the latest update. This is just a guess that I thought I should have some light shed on.

The build number has nothing to do with it. This would not be the first time Verizon has had the wrong build number in one of these PDF documents. People aren't receiving the update because it's not rolling out yet. You can read in the software update instructions PDF linked below that users can manually update starting today if they do it over WiFi. So the normal OTA automatic roll out likely has not begun yet.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/galaxy_s3_instructions-6-19-14.pdf

Mon431

Feb 25, 2014
The build number has nothing to do with it. This would not be the first time Verizon has had the wrong build number in one of these PDF documents. People aren't receiving the update because it's not rolling out yet. You can read in the software update instructions PDF linked below that users can manually update starting today if they do it over WiFi. So the normal OTA automatic roll out likely has not begun yet.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/galaxy_s3_instructions-6-19-14.pdf

Oh okay, thanks. It was just a thought

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011

No. Bold emphasis is mine. Verizon simply hasn't pushed the update out. It has been 24 hours since the PDF was uploaded. Verizon has a tendency to leave typos in their PDFs. They have done so at least twice since the S3 was released. Verizon is not that ignorant to leave the build number as VRUCNC1.

To be even more technical, let's take it to AOSP names. Our "updated" PDF still reads "JSS15R" for the AOSP name, which is JellyBean 4.3. KitKat 4.4.2 is named "KOT49H" in AOSP. Logic states, this is a typo. Here's the Factory Images for Nexus devices, to use as a reference for AOSP names per OS.

Edit: Ninja'd by a country mile haha

Reactions: landshark68
Mar 23, 2011
Update to 4.4.2 successful for me

I, too, was fooled by the NC1 update. What I forgot to do, which Tech Support (live chat) reminded me, was to check for an additional software update after the NC1 update. Sure enough, the 4.4.2 update was waiting to be downloaded and installed. The 4.4.2 baseband version/build number are I535OYUDNE1.

Oh--and it's rootable using Towelroot! Worked like a charm for me.

Mon431

Feb 25, 2014
I, too, was fooled by the NC1 update. What I forgot to do, which Tech Support (live chat) reminded me, was to check for an additional software update after the NC1 update. Sure enough, the 4.4.2 update was waiting to be downloaded and installed. The 4.4.2 baseband version/build number are I535OYUDNE1.

Did it trip the counter?

Mar 23, 2011

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-20-21-20-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-21-20-11.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 193

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update to 4.4.2 successful for me

No. Bold emphasis is mine. Verizon simply hasn't pushed the update out. It has been 24 hours since the PDF was uploaded. Verizon has a tendency to leave typos in their PDFs. They have done so at least twice since the S3 was released. Verizon is not that ignorant to leave the build number as VRUCNC1.

To be even more technical, let's take it to AOSP names. Our "updated" PDF still reads "JSS15R" for the AOSP name, which is JellyBean 4.3. KitKat 4.4.2 is named "KOT49H" in AOSP. Logic states, this is a typo. Here's the Factory Images for Nexus devices, to use as a reference for AOSP names per OS.

Edit: Ninja'd by a country mile haha