[Q] USB hard drive losing files

Search This thread

Volc7

Jun 6, 2013
So this is the second time it happens with a DIFFERENT hard drive.

While normally using my firetv + xbmc +usb harddrive is flawless. it is the second time that i disconnect the hard drive thinking its idling (fist time) or unmounting the drive (second time) that i lost 150gb of movies. like poof gone, never existed, just free space. i have no clue why this is happening. is there a way to SAFELY disconnect my hard drive so i can move files easier?? and hopefully a way to restore the lost files? i mean they must be there, just the index or whatever is corrupt?

*the second time i unmounted using umount /dev/storage/sda1 without errors in adb. im guessing this is not the way to safely eject the drive...

FatFarley

Sep 19, 2009
So this is the second time it happens with a DIFFERENT hard drive.

While normally using my firetv + xbmc +usb harddrive is flawless. it is the second time that i disconnect the hard drive thinking its idling (fist time) or unmounting the drive (second time) that i lost 150gb of movies. like poof gone, never existed, just free space. i have no clue why this is happening. is there a way to SAFELY disconnect my hard drive so i can move files easier?? and hopefully a way to restore the lost files? i mean they must be there, just the index or whatever is corrupt?

*the second time i unmounted using umount /dev/storage/sda1 without errors in adb. im guessing this is not the way to safely eject the drive...

I believe you're supposed to go to Stickmount and click unmount. I'm assuming you're using stickmount to mount the drive.

dbdoshi

Jul 23, 2014
I believe you're supposed to go to Stickmount and click unmount. I'm assuming you're using stickmount to mount the drive.

Let me ask you this, when you click on 'Unmount" in StickMount, does it show you a confirmation that blah blah has been unmounted? When I click on the unmount button, it simply tells me that the active mount is whatever... Same message that I get when mounting.

FatFarley

Sep 19, 2009
Let me ask you this, when you click on 'Unmount" in StickMount, does it show you a confirmation that blah blah has been unmounted? When I click on the unmount button, it simply tells me that the active mount is whatever... Same message that I get when mounting.

Yes, you should get a second messsage that says "Active mounts none." You must have root in order to use Stickmount.

dbdoshi

Jul 23, 2014
Yes, you should get a second messsage that says "Active mounts none." You must have root in order to use Stickmount.

My FTV is rooted.

I can never get to unmount my USB using StickMount. I always get the active mount message when I unmount. I do have the option to kills apps preventing un-mount as checked and it has made no difference. I wonder if that is due to the USB powered hub that my USB is in and not directly connected to FTV... Not sure...

Can you confirm that the StickMount is mounting your drive using Partition label instead of device names like sda/sda1/sdb... That is the second thing that has never worked for me.

I installed "USB OTG Helper" and happy with it as it does the unmount correctly. It does not have the partition label feature.

~Craig~

Jun 23, 2014
Cant say mine has lost anything..... yet :eek:

Using a USB powered HDD connected directly to my rooted FTV.

Upon boot stickmount auto-mounts the drive but clicking the un-mount button does nothing but display the same message that appears when its first mounted...

Is there perhaps a way to tell it to power down the drive?