Does live wallpapers or widgets take more battery?

Search This thread

mojoe_24

Apr 9, 2012
Which takes more battery? I usually have clcok, battery, and weather widgets, but recently moved to a alive wallpaper that displays time/battery. Which set up takes less battery?

trell959

Dec 20, 2010
California
I personally think that widgets, and live wallpapers, do not realistically cause battery drain. I run Phase beam and my battery doesn't vary. I also use Gmail, Calender, YouTube, and Play Music widgets.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Last edited:

K Rich

Aug 2, 2011
SoCal
Which takes more battery? I usually have clcok, battery, and weather widgets, but recently moved to a alive wallpaper that displays time/battery. Which set up takes less battery?

The only time it would cause more drain is when its actually displayed. So unless your phone sits with the LWP displayed for a long amount of time, I don't think you'd notice any difference.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

kamots

Jun 28, 2010
Atlanta
This^^^^^^^. Lol I think back in the early days of Android and live wallpaper people were burning through their batteries so fast because they always had their screen on showing the phone off :p. Since that time, there have been so many kernel tweaks and tips to get the most out of your battery that I don't really think its that big of an issue anymore. That said, I would think that any Widgets/ apps that require constant updating would definitely be a drain on the battery. check the default update intervals on them, they are usually set to update every few minutes I know the 3g watchdog widget that monitors your data usage is defaulted at like every minute. Probably not a huge drain, but not necessary either. I usually set defaults at around at least every hour or more. Just a suggestion :D

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

twiggums

Oct 6, 2007
I think you'll notice a bigger drain going from a black/dark wallpaper to a light/white wallpaper than you will from going from a normal wallpaper to a live one.

LiLChris06

Nov 23, 2011
XDA
Also depends which live wallpaper, some from the market will destroy your battery in moments of keeping it on home screen.

Reactions: j510

Gutterball

Dec 24, 2010
New Jersey
Also depends which live wallpaper, some from the market will destroy your battery in moments of keeping it on home screen.

Would that be the LWP actually doing that or all the crap bundled inside it like spyware, adware crap? It's a shame cause theres some really cool ones out there but they come with alot of crap unless you buy it usually :D I've bought a few

LiLChris06

Nov 23, 2011
XDA
Would that be the LWP actually doing that or all the crap bundled inside it like spyware, adware crap? It's a shame cause theres some really cool ones out there but they come with alot of crap unless you buy it usually :D I've bought a few

No I have seen some that don't come with bloat and it just kills your battery do the the rendering power it takes.
Yea it looks nice but good bye to battery.

There is only 1 I used that didn't really touch my battery.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxelus.icegalaxylivewallpaper&hl=en

Not sure if he added anything since I use to use it back in GB.
But I never had any problems with his.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...heGVsdXMuc2hhZG93Z2FsYXh5bGl2ZXdhbGxwYXBlciJd

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutterball

Gutterball

Dec 24, 2010
New Jersey
No I have seen some that don't come with bloat and it just kills your battery do the the rendering power it takes.
Yea it looks nice but good bye to battery.

There is only 1 I used that didn't really touch my battery...looking for it now.

Yeah some of the higher class ones actually have settings in order to save battery. I bought a couple really jaw dropping ones and they have those settings to change what you need(change fps and such). I've seen some really ****ty bought ones too though. Good thing for the 15 minute rule! LOL

Dazedstate

Apr 4, 2012
Vista, CA

I had no idea they had bloat or spyware or anything. That sucks. I'm uninstalling all of it.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

Top Liked Posts