[Q] Phone turns off randomly

Search This thread

benwaffle

Dec 26, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
My phone randomly turns off when I'm not using it. (Like when I leave it too charge overnight or don't use it for a couple hours)
What could be the problem? How to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Benwaffle

benwaffle

Dec 26, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
Rooted, ardatdat kernel, cwmr. Actually it didn't seem to happen last night, and I just installed the new kernel yesterday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using XDA

bobbinthreadbare

May 12, 2012
if it happens again after you changed the kernel, try a different rom and stay away from overclocking it and stuff. can't hurt to inspect your battery contacts if you spilled anything near it.

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
Turns off or locks? some people are getting it to lock it's called the sleep death and happens if you put your phone to charge at night with Wifi on. Some people try different Roms to fix this issue.

Aquethys

Retired Forum Moderator
Dec 26, 2011
Colorado
Hehe my phone doesn't sleepdeath...I charge it on with wifi...maybe it's different

Sent from my Samsung CAPTIVATE Glide SGH-i927 using xda premium

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
Hehe my phone doesn't sleepdeath...I charge it on with wifi...maybe it's different

Sent from my Samsung CAPTIVATE Glide SGH-i927 using xda premium

That was a very helpful post.....Nah just kidding it doesn't happen to everyone. I have had my phone since December last year and I can count on 1 hand how many times it has happened to me. I always charge at night with WIFI on. But when it does happen I simply hold the power button till it reboots, so not a very big issue to me.

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Reviving this thread because I'm having a similar problem...
Running on stock, rooted.
It happens often enough for it to be a problem.
Only concern is when I go to sleep and rely on my phone as an alarm clock. I need my phone to work
Please note last charge cycle on the attached screenshot. Battery was at 84% and completely dead after sleeping for 8 hours. It doesn't even show me how the phone died, or what made it die.

During the day, I think I have the same problem. My phone will simply not turn on at times. I have to do a battery pull before I can get the phone to turn on again.

Attachments

• shot_000001.jpg
    shot_000001.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 77

doode2011

Dec 7, 2011
Check the battery. Take it out and put it on a flat surface like wood or metal. Spin it like you would as a bottle, if it does that, then your battery is swollen and will cause problems like what you're experiencing. If that does happen, you need to replace the battery, as that is your only option. Sorry :(. It happened to me, but i was covered under warranty.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using xda premium

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Check the battery. Take it out and put it on a flat surface like wood or metal. Spin it like you would as a bottle, if it does that, then your battery is swollen and will cause problems like what you're experiencing. If that does happen, you need to replace the battery, as that is your only option. Sorry :(. It happened to me, but i was covered under warranty.

Battery looks fine. Not visually swollen and doesn't spin on a flat surface. Wish I had another battery to test this out...

doode2011

Dec 7, 2011
I saw that you're using another rom. Did you wipe battery stats and cache before installing it? I remember with my DHD I didn't do that and it would die randomly here and there. After I reinstalled the rom, it was working alright.

Save your apps on TB and do a nandroid backup before doing it so you don't lose any data.

Also, try out the literom, it's basically stock without bloatware.

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
I saw that you're using another rom. Did you wipe battery stats and cache before installing it? I remember with my DHD I didn't do that and it would die randomly here and there. After I reinstalled the rom, it was working alright.

Save your apps on TB and do a nandroid backup before doing it so you don't lose any data.

Also, try out the literom, it's basically stock without bloatware.

I've been running it on stock, just rooted.
I don't believe wiping battery stats will do much, considering they're wiped every time you charge to 100%. But the battery level is definitely off. I reboot my phone sometimes and end up going from 50% down to about 10%. It's not reporting accurately.
I will be installing a new rom over the coming weeks, just have no time right now. I just wanted to know if this seems to be a hardware problem or software.

doode2011

Dec 7, 2011
Let me know how it goes. Sorry for the late response. I have been busy with school and work :(

Reactions: gtmaster303

terryowen

Apr 8, 2009
I'm having this same issue with my Glide of 3 weeks. I remember having a similar problem several years ago - can't remember what phone it was - may have been the N900. I think that one was fixed by conditioning the battery. Where you drain it to 20% and then recharge several times. Does that technique sound familiar to anyone else?

I am stock GB/rooted and not opposed to flashing a new rom if that would help. Any suggestions on a minimal rom with working camera? (my one requirement)

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Let me know how it goes. Sorry for the late response. I have been busy with school and work :(

Looks like it was a rom specific issue. More importantly, it was a battery drain. Something was causing my phone to hang and drain the battery overnight if I didn't leave it on charge. Not happening with CM10.1
Gingerbread on this phone has a lot more bugs than I normally like. I don't know how Samsung didn't catch these or found it ok to market the phone despite knowing these bugs exist. For example, stock music app periodically slows down and force closes for no reason.

Shad0wguy

Jun 22, 2010
Long Island, NY
My girlfriends phone is having this same issue after I re flashed the stock rom, rooted it, and installed twrp. Does anyone have any insight to this issue before she throws the phone against a wall?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

jacobym1

Dec 19, 2012

Thank you! I was having this issue, and this helped me figure it out. My battery was definitely swollen, and after seeing this, I now notice it actually doesn't even sit flat in the battery compartment anymore. Luckily when I called AT+T they said it was still under warranty and sent me out a new battery with little hassle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.