[Q] Help building CM for Nook HD+

Search This thread

ddpruitt

Jan 19, 2014
I've been running CM on my HD+ for the last few months and it's been great. I'm working on making some modifications to the VM and to the kernel and it requires building CM from source. I've already done this with several other devices and have had only minor problems. I'm following the instructions and it can't build. I get the following error:

Code:
============================================
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=4.3.1
CM_VERSION=10.2-20140120-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
TARGET_PRODUCT=cm_ovation
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=userdebug
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv7-a-neon
TARGET_CPU_VARIANT=cortex-a9
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_OS_EXTRA=Linux-3.7.10-1.16-desktop-x86_64-with-SuSE-12.3-x86_64
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=JLS36I
OUT_DIR=/home/david/Android/system/out
============================================
make: *** /.config: Is a directory. Stop.

I've searched and haven't found a solution but It seems like I'm missing a manifest or something. I'm wondering if this is missing from 10.2 and I should just try building 11 or if there's a way I can build from source.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Sherip

Jan 26, 2012
No experience building CM but it looks like maybe /.config instead of ./config got invoked?

Sent from HD+ MAG2GA CM 11 from SD

D

Deleted member 2092952

Did you follow this guide? -> http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_ovation (repo init for cm11 instead if cm11 is desired)

Its probably just an error that you made. I don't remember seeing it before.

Edit it doesn't like /.config. That much is obvious. So try to rename or move it or fix your problem to avoid it. (if its ~/.config be careful as that is an important dir.)

There is a .config in /out during building process which is the kernel defconfig file. There is also ~/.config. And that's all I know about that. Look around for .config or google your error with "/.config;" removed and see how the "make: *** is a directory. stop" plain version helps you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ddpruitt

ddpruitt

Jan 19, 2014
I followed the guide in the wiki but it's a no go. I removed and resynced just in case something didn't pull correctly (wouldn't be the first time). I'm grepping the makefiles for .config to try and narrow down the problem but it doesn't seem to be helping. I've compared the structures of the Galaxy Nexus and the Nook build trees and I don't see any huge differences.

<edit>
Found a bunch of config files but no .config, now I'm even more confused.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2092952

I followed the guide in the wiki but it's a no go. I removed and resynced just in case something didn't pull correctly (wouldn't be the first time). I'm grepping the makefiles for .config to try and narrow down the problem but it doesn't seem to be helping. I've compared the structures of the Galaxy Nexus and the Nook build trees and I don't see any huge differences.

<edit>

It shouldn't be in what you received with the guide as your getting the device repo, but how you did it or something that is not configured correctly on your os.

Its a bit confusing but the error says what it wants and that's the key.

Edit: Tried to get my build to do the same but no go. Out of ideas for you. Sorry :(

Some other thoughts based on testing:

You get the correct manifest, etc. with the git and repo sync so again its not with what your getting. That all will build it without that weird error.

If there's no .config file in android/system/out/target/product/ovation/obj/KERNEL_OBJ/ then its because it didn't do enough to put one there yet. That shouldn't be the issue as it will rename a .config dir and continue or if it can't then have a different error.

Did you try make clean or make clobber and try building again?

ddpruitt

Jan 19, 2014
It shouldn't be in what you received with the guide as your getting the device repo, but how you did it or something that is not configured correctly on your os.

Edit: Tried to get my build to do the same but no go. Out of ideas for you. Sorry :(

I had someone else try it on an Ubuntu machine and it has the same issue. I'll try to get the verygreen repos instead of the official CM ones see if that helps

D

Deleted member 2092952

Duplicated! ...

You have a .config directory in /

Exactly as the error says as I get the same error only by creating one there. Or I should say the exact same error line and no building.

ddpruitt

Jan 19, 2014
Duplicated! ...

Exactly as the error says as I get the same error only by creating one there. Or I should say the exact same error line and no building.

You're an absolute genius. For some reason I did have a /.config directory, I never even though of looking in the root directories. Must be some strange KDE issue. I deleted it and build kicked off and it's rolling fine now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 2092952
    Did you follow this guide? -> http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_ovation (repo init for cm11 instead if cm11 is desired)

Its probably just an error that you made. I don't remember seeing it before.

Edit it doesn't like /.config. That much is obvious. So try to rename or move it or fix your problem to avoid it. (if its ~/.config be careful as that is an important dir.)

There is a .config in /out during building process which is the kernel defconfig file. There is also ~/.config. And that's all I know about that. Look around for .config or google your error with "/.config;" removed and see how the "make: *** is a directory. stop" plain version helps you.
    D
    Deleted member 2092952

<edit>

Some other thoughts based on testing:

You get the correct manifest, etc. with the git and repo sync so again its not with what your getting. That all will build it without that weird error.

If there's no .config file in android/system/out/target/product/ovation/obj/KERNEL_OBJ/ then its because it didn't do enough to put one there yet. That shouldn't be the issue as it will rename a .config dir and continue or if it can't then have a different error.

Did you try make clean or make clobber and try building again?
    D
    Deleted member 2092952
    Duplicated! ...