[Q] What is better to buy

Search This thread

Sous_USSR

Dec 19, 2011
Right now I am experiencing battery issues with my current iphone, as well as getting really bored of it. That is why I wanted to change to android (try out what has been done so far). But then I saw the news about Jolla and considered it as a good choice either (I was using nokia n9 before iphone abd liked MeeGo a lot). The compability layer with android also was a feature making Jolla look as a good alternative. But the processor in Jolla looks a bit old (I don't care a lot about pixels, but performance is important). Also I have lack of understanding, whether the features of os like ART and "project butter", which makes android much smoother, are available for Jolla. I am very much interested in cool features like other halves and alien-dalvik, but can't understand whether the dual-core processor is enough to run android well. At the moment I see two alternatives for myself which are Nexus 5 (benefits: camera, resolution, latest android features, quad-core processor) and Jolla (sailfish OS is a huge benefit itself, disposable battery and the other half concept, the nerdy "linux feel", sd-card). Also the Jolla phone is not yet available in my country officially (they promise to enter Russian market by summer), but I can predict that the price for these two devices won't be significantly different. Can the users please leave comments on Jolla's performance? E.g. in high-quality games or apps which use a lot of processor's resources. I would like an advice on which device to your mind is better.

Whippler

Apr 3, 2011
you are talking about running android on jolla hardware. i assume you mean just apps and not the OS -.-'. Sailfish runs really smooth on Jolla, and Alien-dalvik is plenty efficient to run android apps on this hardware. ofc some demanding games might not run all that well, but who cares, its a phone not a psp. Also android "project butter" just bogged it down and made it worse for me.. the update after that actually made android a lot slimmer. Also they are android OS updates so it doesnt matter for Jolla at all. Jolla runs just the alien dalvik virtual machine to run android apps, not android os.

Also i'm not going to buy android device anytime soon, it's just a crappy google bloated OS, that needs expensive high end hardware to run smoothly.

Daycrawler

Mar 27, 2012
Gdańsk
probably one of the most ignorant post this month on XDA. Congratz !

What?! You must be kidding and if not get some education. Android's use of resources is poor to say the least. It's a virtual machine running on a kernel coded in a different language. Remember when you had a dual core 1.5GHz processor in a PC? You could do everything, everything was fluid. Android launches a virtual Java on Linux and is SLOW. Check out Windows phones. Games work smooth on 2 cores @ 1GHz. On the same hardware on Android these same games can be unplayable.
That's why Google pushes science-fiction hardware in phones. To run at least smooth.

Sent from my LG-P760 using xda app-developers app

nisu4717

Dec 23, 2012
vidhya nagar
What?! You must be kidding and if not get some education. Android's use of resources is poor to say the least. It's a virtual machine running on a kernel coded in a different language. Remember when you had a dual core 1.5GHz processor in a PC? You could do everything, everything was fluid. Android launches a virtual Java on Linux and is SLOW. Check out Windows phones. Games work smooth on 2 cores @ 1GHz. On the same hardware on Android these same games can be unplayable.
That's why Google pushes science-fiction hardware in phones. To run at least smooth.

Totaly agree with u..

Sent from my LT26ii using xda premium

pocthird

Jun 4, 2013
bejaia
Android's use of resources is poor to say the least. It's a virtual machine running on a kernel coded in a different language. Remember when you had a dual core 1.5GHz processor in a PC? You could do everything, everything was fluid. Android launches a virtual Java on Linux and is SLOW. Check out Windows phones. Games work smooth on 2 cores @ 1GHz. On the same hardware on Android these same games can be unplayable.

the advantage of android is that you have the choice (custom roms if manufacturer doesn't update your phone , launchers , zram, install apps to sd or use link2sd ...) the other thing is that i have a galaxy mini 2 (cheap low en 512ram 800mhz) i play most wanted in high quality, gangstar vegas, shadow gun,vice city and you say android is not optimized ? for mini 2 there is even cm11 android 4.4 working smooth eventhough samsung didn't update the phone , and google doesn't push any hardware as it is oems who do it and with kitkat 4.4 android can now run with lower ram than 512 , about sd cards just by anything but nexus
,the architecture of android doesn't make any problem of performance so stop talking about kernel coded with different language as i even played vice city on lg l3 with 380mb of ram and 800mhz , the only recource consuming issue on android is widgets , lockscreen widgets and all the usable freedom but thats what makes it cool , android makes 70% of smartphone population , if it is crap why is it so loved , btw in your pc you dont a have a simple arm architecture which makes pc 1gh mire powerful on a pc , for windows phone it has 2 games on its store .

Sent from my GT-S6500D using XDA Free mobile app

carepack

Sep 21, 2010
the advantage of android is that you have the choice (custom roms if manufacturer doesn't update your phone , launchers , zram, install apps to sd or use link2sd ...) the other thing is that i have a galaxy mini 2 (cheap low en 512ram 800mhz) i play most wanted in high quality, gangstar vegas, shadow gun,vice city and you say android is not optimized ? for mini 2 there is even cm11 android 4.4 working smooth eventhough samsung didn't update the phone , and google doesn't push any hardware as it is oems who do it and with kitkat 4.4 android can now run with lower ram than 512 , about sd cards just by anything but nexus
,the architecture of android doesn't make any problem of performance so stop talking about kernel coded with different language as i even played vice city on lg l3 with 380mb of ram and 800mhz , the only recource consuming issue on android is widgets , lockscreen widgets and all the usable freedom but thats what makes it cool , android makes 70% of smartphone population , if it is crap why is it so loved , btw in your pc you dont a have a simple arm architecture which makes pc 1gh mire powerful on a pc , for windows phone it has 2 games on its store .

because android was long time the only really alternative to ios maybe?

pocthird

Jun 4, 2013
bejaia
because android was long time the only really alternative to ios maybe?

windows phone existed also , keep in mind also that android is an old project it was just bought by google , android existed before the launch of the first ios device

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

That's not the advantage of Android, that's the advantage of open source development model, something that Sailfish OS can also brag about, even more so than Google-driven and Oracle patents encumbered Android.

sailfish , firefox os and tizen are rather cool as they are open source and most of them support android apps , but i personally love android ui , and as i told you i could run hd quality games in very low end phones with android i dont know if it will be possible with these other systems , for google bliatware cyanogen doesn't have any google product it's you who flash gapps

MooNWalker

Jul 6, 2007
sailfish , firefox os and tizen are rather cool as they are open source and most of them support android apps , but i personally love android ui , and as i told you i could run hd quality games in very low end phones with android i dont know if it will be possible with these other systems , for google bliatware cyanogen doesn't have any google product it's you who flash gapps

IMHO Sailfish OS has even more cool UI than Android. Unlike Android Sailfish doesn't rely on Java VM or frameworks, using native code instead, and so is less resource hungry than Android. Applications can be written in HTML5/Javascript/QML or in native code, with no Java pieces whatsoever, allowing those "HD quality games" possibly running even smoother (though not by much, considering they're written in NDK on Android as well). As to Google bloatware - yeah, ROMs like CyanogenMod don't have it, but even without it Android is still encumbered by Oracle patents, according to the ruling of the Federal Circuit.

pocthird

Jun 4, 2013
bejaia
IMHO Sailfish OS has even more cool UI than Android. Unlike Android Sailfish doesn't rely on Java VM or frameworks, using native code instead, and so is less resource hungry than Android. Applications can be written in HTML5/Javascript/QML or in native code, with no Java pieces whatsoever, allowing those "HD quality games" possibly running even smoother (though not by much, considering they're written in NDK on Android as well). As to Google bloatware - yeah, ROMs like CyanogenMod don't have it, but even without it Android is still encumbered by Oracle patents, according to the ruling of the Federal Circuit.

i am ceptical , i doubt something better than android might exist , for performance native code doesn't always mean more performance as java version used by android if i am not wrong is java 6 which is optimized , for relying on frameworks it may be difficult to add functionality to the system without that , i'm getting excited for sailfish :p as it seems very androidish without android negative sides , now we have to know if android apps are running well on sailfish as its more software related because of absence of emulation (arm ) its works like wine on linux i guess

MooNWalker

Jul 6, 2007
i am ceptical , i doubt something better than android might exist , for performance native code doesn't always mean more performance as java version used by android if i am not wrong is java 6 which is optimized , for relying on frameworks it may be difficult to add functionality to the system without that , i'm getting excited for sailfish :p as it seems very androidish without android negative sides , now we have to know if android apps are running well on sailfish as its more software related because of absence of emulation (arm ) its works like wine on linux i guess
1st, there is always something better, depending on your usage, preferences, resources, etc.
2nd, while native code truly doesn't always mean better performance per se, it does generally mean lower resource consumption (no VM/JIT overhead) and lower latency, regardless of the Java version we're talking about. ART might change that in the future, but for now Sailfish runs smoother on single core 512MiB RAM Nexus One than Android ever had.
3rd, there are plenty other frameworks that are not patent encumbered. Like open source Qt that Jolla Sailfish team chose for their interface.
4th, how do you define "androidish"? As far as I can see it uses different interface navigation methods (much more gesture based and less dependent on specific location of touch), it has different architecture (much closer to "real" desktop Linux distributions), it has different APIs (HTML5/Javascript/QML and native).
5th, Android apps can run not only on ARM because Alien Dalvik doesn't work like Wine (which, BTW, can run not only on Linux). It's a VM, just like the original Android Dalvik. Except that whereas Android overall is just one giant Java stack running in Dalvik on top of Linux kernel, with even UI part being just another Android app, Alien Dalvik has to integrate with existing user space with it's own UI - correct me here someone who knows more about architecture of the Dalvik and/or Alien Dalvik.

pocthird

Jun 4, 2013
bejaia
1st, there is always something better, depending on your usage, preferences, resources, etc.
2nd, while native code truly doesn't always mean better performance per se, it does generally mean lower resource consumption (no VM/JIT overhead) and lower latency, regardless of the Java version we're talking about. ART might change that in the future, but for now Sailfish runs smoother on single core 512MiB RAM Nexus One than Android ever had.
3rd, there are plenty other frameworks that are not patent encumbered. Like open source Qt that Jolla Sailfish team chose for their interface.
4th, how do you define "androidish"? .
androidish means beauty and freedom (plenty of apps also especialy launchers that i hope exist in sailfish) for architecture everybody knows x86 and mips are not well supported by developers there are few apps and games that support them , dont dream of running mobile apps on linux if you dont have an arm machine , emulation is just horiblly slow, correct me if i am wrong but running mer+naemo+vm is very close to android with dalvik vm (recouce consuming) :)

Last edited:

MooNWalker

Jul 6, 2007
androidish means beauty and freedom (plenty of apps also especialy launchers that i hope exist in sailfish) for architecture everybody knows x86 and mips are not well supported by developers there are few apps and games that support them , dont dream of running mobile apps on linux if you dont have an arm machine , emulation is just horiblly slow, correct me if i am wrong but running mer+naemo+vm is very close to android with dalvik vm (recouce consuming) :)
It is possible to get even Windows to be beautiful and there are (or were) plenty "launchers" for Windows as well. It is possible to make Windows look like Android (and vice versa). Does that make Windows Mobile "androidish"? I think not.

There are plenty x86-based (Intel Atom) Android devices out there, they are supported, they run mobile apps, they are not ARM, and they don't have to emulate anything, they just need to run a Dalvik VM. One of those machines even has a subforum on XDA - Dell Venue.

Last edited:

pocthird

Jun 4, 2013
bejaia
It is possible to get even Windows to be beautiful and there are (or were) plenty "launchers" for Windows as well. It is possible to make Windows look like Android (and vice versa). Does that make Windows Mobile "androidish"? I think not.

There are plenty x86-based (Intel Atom) Android devices out there, they are supported, they run mobile apps, they are not ARM, and they don't have to emulate anything, they just need to run a Dalvik VM. One of those machines even has a subforum on XDA - Dell Venue.

many apps dont support x86 just look at android x86 problems it has issues with even popular apps like terminal ide or many video editors and games , for windows phone yes it would be relatively androidish if it wasn't closed source

MooNWalker

Jul 6, 2007
many apps dont support x86 just look at android x86 problems it has issues with even popular apps like terminal ide or many video editors and games
Ok, list those apps. And then compare that list with the list of apps that work w/o any issues. Most of the applications will work on x86 without any issues whatsoever thanks to the fact that Dalvik VM allows them to be completely independent of CPU instruction set. The only thing that needs to be dependent on CPU architecture is the underlying Linux kernel (which is already very much cross-platform), some of the system libraries like the Bionic libc, and the Dalvik VM itself (or ART). User apps need to be adapted to x86 separately only if they use NDK instead of traditional Java. I had x86 Android running on my frigging netbook and had no issues other than poor graphics performance and the awkwardness of keyboard and mouse input on a touchscreen-oriented OS.
for windows phone yes it would be relatively androidish if it wasn't closed source
Ah, but that's exactly what I was talking about: Android sure is more free than Windows, but Sailfish is even more free than Android. Android's code is (mostly) open source, but it's still encumbered by Oracle patents. Android's code is not developed solely by one company like Windows, but it is still mostly driven and controlled only by Google. Sailfish on the other hand is not encumbered by Java patents and is largely based on community projects like Mer. Remove the Sailfish's proprietary UI and replace it with Plasma Active or Nemo Mobile instead - and you got fully open system. In fact, the progress of porting Sailfish to other devices depends on progress of adapting Mer to those devices. In case of most common Android devices - adapting it using libhybris.

Reactions: pocthird

pocthird

Jun 4, 2013
bejaia
Ok, list those apps. And then compare that list with the list of apps that work w/o any issues. Most of the applications will work on x86 without any issues whatsoever thanks to the fact that Dalvik VM allows them to be completely independent of CPU instruction set. The only thing that needs to be dependent on CPU architecture is the underlying Linux kernel (which is already very much cross-platform), some of the system libraries like the Bionic libc, and the Dalvik VM itself (or ART). User apps need to be adapted to x86 separately only if they use NDK instead of traditional Java. I had x86 Android running on my frigging netbook and had no issues other than poor graphics performance and the awkwardness of keyboard and mouse input on a touchscreen-oriented OS.
Ah, but that's exactly what I was talking about: Android sure is more free than Windows, but Sailfish is even more free than Android. Android's code is (mostly) open source, but it's still encumbered by Oracle patents. Android's code is not developed solely by one company like Windows, but it is still mostly driven and controlled only by Google. Sailfish on the other hand is not encumbered by Java patents and is largely based on community projects like Mer. Remove the Sailfish's proprietary UI and replace it with Plasma Active or Nemo Mobile instead - and you got fully open system. In fact, the progress of porting Sailfish to other devices depends on progress of adapting Mer to those devices. In case of most common Android devices - adapting it using libhybris.

btw will sailfish support root apps ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    probably one of the most ignorant post this month on XDA. Congratz !

many apps dont support x86 just look at android x86 problems it has issues with even popular apps like terminal ide or many video editors and games
    for windows phone yes it would be relatively androidish if it wasn't closed source