Anker Astro Slim3 Battery Pack = Perfect Companion to the N5

Search This thread

deeznutz206

Dec 6, 2011
Update 3/6/14 : Found out that there is a current promotion for this battery pack! Thanks to techdunce from SD for posting the deal.

Anker has their Slim3 discounted from $37.99 to just $26.59 (30% off)
code: FKV3GQSG

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEZJT2E/?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=c2BrpqVsEeOEfT6StX-0HgvZS4_i43.3_0_0_0

Just purchased 2 more! Get yours today.

This is my review of the Anker Astro Slim3 6000mAh but here is another review posted by Vectron http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2388894

Hey everyone. I just wanted to give a review on my experience with the Anker Astro Slim3 6000mAh portable external battery pack. I’ve had this product for roughly 2 weeks now and can definitely say that it is the perfect companion to the N5.

As we know, our N5 doesn’t have the greatest battery life when it comes to on screen time. I found myself having to charge the battery during the middle of the afternoon only after moderate use and then at night when going to bed. I have a handful of Anker battery packs but the reason that this particular one caught my eye was its thinness and the fact that it has a built in micro usb wire/plug. Also, the fact that this thing is rated at 6000mAh was the deciding factor that made me order it.

From the photos, you can see that the Astro Slim3 is very comparable (in all aspects) in size to the N5. It is a fraction thicker than the N5 (and I do mean a very small fraction as it is only .47in), a fraction shorter than the N5 and a fraction wider. Weight wise, it is just a little heavier than the N5, but then again, the N5 is very light to begin with. The battery is incased in a plastic like enclosure which feels very good and it also is a deterrent to fingerprints.

Charging wise (using the built in micro usb cable), this battery pack was able to charge my N5 from 20% to 93% in 60 minutes and to 100% in 72 minutes. I’ve tested this 5 times to make sure this was consistent, and it was. If that isn’t impressive, I don’t know what is! It has dual ports and each port is rated at 1A each. There is no question that this battery pack is capable of high speed charging. There are 4 LEDs on the case that indicates how much juice is left in the pack and it was able to charge my phone 2.25 times before needing a charge itself.

Pricewise, it was a little more expensive than the other brands out there, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Bought it from Amazon for $38 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEZJT2E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p107_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0T6WMDN41N069KZDC4BR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846) but it was still worth it given the specs and convenience. If these two things are what you are looking for in a battery pack, then this product is a sure bet.

Let me know if you have any questions about this product.

On to the pics!

Top_Side by side view: N5 is only a smidge longer than the battery pack

12754492594_3ce78f63ce_o.jpg

Side by side view:

12754492584_ecce1e9b9d_o.jpg

Top view: almost identical!!!

12754493074_11ef0cd908_o.jpg

This is when it is charging. You can see the 4 LEDs indicating the battery pack has a full charge and you can also see the built in micro usb cable that comes with it

12754492354_5227965938_o.jpg

Oh, one thing that I forgot to mention was that this battery pack has 2 ways of charging your phone! One way is to use the built in/attached micro usb plug that comes with it and the other is using your own micro usb plug. The second way will definitely work if you have a case!

From this pic, the right side is where you would plug in the micro usb cable if you can't use the one that is built in/attached to the battery pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: omegatek

Ubelsteiner

Feb 24, 2014
Very nice. I bought the Anker astro 3 (2nd gen) and always take it places with me if i think theres a chance i'll be running low on juice. This one you got looks a bit thinner (slimmer, duh, obviously) and easier to tote around, but i got the astro to have 2x the capacity and ability to charge my girlfriends S4 at the same time when needed.

Good products tho, charge the phones fast.

deeznutz206

Dec 6, 2011
Very nice. I bought the Anker astro 3 (2nd gen) and always take it places with me if i think theres a chance i'll be running low on juice. This one you got looks a bit thinner (slimmer, duh, obviously) and easier to tote around, but i got the astro to have 2x the capacity and ability to charge my girlfriends S4 at the same time when needed.

I have that one too! Love the fact that it has 3 usb port and it is a beast. However, it is a bit bulky so it has been relegated to my camping/family trip battery pack. This Slim3 is the perfect size to just throw in my backpack everyday for work :good:

deeznutz206

Dec 6, 2011
I forgot to add this to the original post, but as a comparison in terms of charge time, using the stock charger that came with the N5, @ 60 mins charge time, the N5 was only at 70% (93% for the Anker) and @ 100% charged, the stock charger took 100 mins (72 mins for the Anker). That's a pretty big difference.

b.spec

Dec 12, 2012
I have this sitting in my cart for Amazon and haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Thanks for the review and photos as well! The combination of the size, capacity and built-in micro-usb port makes it ideal for the N5. I'm not sure how your battery last you a single day though!

deeznutz206

Dec 6, 2011
I have this sitting in my cart for Amazon and haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Thanks for the review and photos as well! The combination of the size, capacity and built-in micro-usb port makes it ideal for the N5. I'm not sure how your battery last you a single day though!

Pull the trigger. You won't be disappointed :good:

I have stocks streaming on my phone for a better part of the morning so that is why it needs to be charged by the afternoon :p

Johnny Broccoli

Feb 10, 2014
Question for anyone that has one of these: will the attached USB cable fit in to the hub of a Nexus 5 that is housed in a case? I'm sure it differs case to case but that would be a major selling point for me. I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid FYI.

Been trying to settle on what battery pack to purchase for a while now. Thought I'd go with the LuguLake but the more I think about it, I don't know how useful wireless charging would be for me while on the go (and the lack of an auto-off function while charging has me hesitant to purchase as well).

Thanks.

abmicyau

May 11, 2011
I found myself having to charge the battery during the middle of the afternoon only after moderate use and then at night when going to bed.

Really? I actually find the battery life on this phone quite impressive - although I am coming from a GS3 which had absolutely **** battery life butwith N5 I still get a good 5-6 hours of screen on time with franco kernel O:

deeznutz206

Dec 6, 2011
Question for anyone that has one of these: will the attached USB cable fit in to the hub of a Nexus 5 that is housed in a case? I'm sure it differs case to case but that would be a major selling point for me. I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid FYI.

Been trying to settle on what battery pack to purchase for a while now. Thought I'd go with the LuguLake but the more I think about it, I don't know how useful wireless charging would be for me while on the go (and the lack of an auto-off function while charging has me hesitant to purchase as well).

Thanks.

Should have mentioned this in my review, but that might be an issue if you have a case that doesn't have a very big opening for the micro usb plug. The end is pretty fat and so might require you to take off the case.

What is the difference between this and the the slim2 version of it?

The slim2 version is only rated at 4500mAh and is a little smaller in size. This might be perfect for you if you don't need the 6000mAh version.

Reactions: zubsz

b.spec

Dec 12, 2012
The promotion doesn't apply to Canada =( Why why there no love for Canada! None of their screen protectors are available up here either.

mancterrier

Sep 2, 2010
Ordered one of these and its absolutely superb. Just tried it now and its charged my phone from 38% to 95% in 53 minutes..

Explore3

Mar 6, 2011
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 7 Pro

You can actually charge 2 devices at the same time with the astro slim 3. You can use the integrated cable and your own cable simultaneously to charge 2 devices.

I bought the Anker® 2nd Gen Astro 6000mAh a couple of weeks ago. It can charge a single device at a time. However, it can fast charge using 2 amps with a "smart" charging port. On the other hand, it would be great to have the use of the integrated cable. Hmm, another battery charger?

mancterrier

Sep 2, 2010
Little update on this. Went to Cheltenham on Wednesday and it kept in charge from 7am to 2am and I was utterly caning the phone. No idea how I'd have managed without. Brilliant device

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 3/6/14 : Found out that there is a current promotion for this battery pack! Thanks to techdunce from SD for posting the deal.

Anker has their Slim3 discounted from $37.99 to just $26.59 (30% off)
    code: FKV3GQSG

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEZJT2E/?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=c2BrpqVsEeOEfT6StX-0HgvZS4_i43.3_0_0_0

Just purchased 2 more! Get yours today.

This is my review of the Anker Astro Slim3 6000mAh but here is another review posted by Vectron http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2388894

Hey everyone. I just wanted to give a review on my experience with the Anker Astro Slim3 6000mAh portable external battery pack. I’ve had this product for roughly 2 weeks now and can definitely say that it is the perfect companion to the N5.

As we know, our N5 doesn’t have the greatest battery life when it comes to on screen time. I found myself having to charge the battery during the middle of the afternoon only after moderate use and then at night when going to bed. I have a handful of Anker battery packs but the reason that this particular one caught my eye was its thinness and the fact that it has a built in micro usb wire/plug. Also, the fact that this thing is rated at 6000mAh was the deciding factor that made me order it.

From the photos, you can see that the Astro Slim3 is very comparable (in all aspects) in size to the N5. It is a fraction thicker than the N5 (and I do mean a very small fraction as it is only .47in), a fraction shorter than the N5 and a fraction wider. Weight wise, it is just a little heavier than the N5, but then again, the N5 is very light to begin with. The battery is incased in a plastic like enclosure which feels very good and it also is a deterrent to fingerprints.

Charging wise (using the built in micro usb cable), this battery pack was able to charge my N5 from 20% to 93% in 60 minutes and to 100% in 72 minutes. I’ve tested this 5 times to make sure this was consistent, and it was. If that isn’t impressive, I don’t know what is! It has dual ports and each port is rated at 1A each. There is no question that this battery pack is capable of high speed charging. There are 4 LEDs on the case that indicates how much juice is left in the pack and it was able to charge my phone 2.25 times before needing a charge itself.

Pricewise, it was a little more expensive than the other brands out there, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Bought it from Amazon for $38 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEZJT2E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p107_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0T6WMDN41N069KZDC4BR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846) but it was still worth it given the specs and convenience. If these two things are what you are looking for in a battery pack, then this product is a sure bet.

Let me know if you have any questions about this product.

On to the pics!

Top_Side by side view: N5 is only a smidge longer than the battery pack

12754492594_3ce78f63ce_o.jpg

Side by side view:

12754492584_ecce1e9b9d_o.jpg

Top view: almost identical!!!

12754493074_11ef0cd908_o.jpg

This is when it is charging. You can see the 4 LEDs indicating the battery pack has a full charge and you can also see the built in micro usb cable that comes with it

Oh, one thing that I forgot to mention was that this battery pack has 2 ways of charging your phone! One way is to use the built in/attached micro usb plug that comes with it and the other is using your own micro usb plug. The second way will definitely work if you have a case!

From this pic, the right side is where you would plug in the micro usb cable if you can't use the one that is built in/attached to the battery pack.

Thanks.

Should have mentioned this in my review, but that might be an issue if you have a case that doesn't have a very big opening for the micro usb plug. The end is pretty fat and so might require you to take off the case.

What is the difference between this and the the slim2 version of it?

The slim2 version is only rated at 4500mAh and is a little smaller in size. This might be perfect for you if you don't need the 6000mAh version.
    Anybody use this with their N5 in the Diztronic TPU case? Just curious because the base on that Micro USB plug looks pretty wide.
    I'm using Astro 3 12000MAh. It's bulky but it is amazing, especially for long trips

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I knew I shouldn't have ordered this!! USPS says that it was delivered on Monday 10/13, only problem with that, is that it was a Federal holiday, so no mail even ran that day, and I do not have it!

Sorry to hear that but this was USPS's fault, not Anker's. Not sure how they can show it was delivered on Monday when they didn't even work that day.