Deleted Gtalk -- Easiest fix?

Search This thread

Skrypt

Jun 15, 2010
I uninstalled Google Talk (accidentally) via Titanium Backup. Obviously a decent screw up as it kills a lot of services without it. :eek:

I tried searching for a posted apk, but no luck. Tried extracting it from the roms used in toasts root method, but failed.

I'm an idiot. Flame away, but help, please. :)

RavenII

Dec 4, 2006
I uninstalled Google Talk (accidentally) via Titanium Backup. Obviously a decent screw up as it kills a lot of services without it. :eek:

I tried searching for a posted apk, but no luck. Tried extracting it from the roms used in toasts root method, but failed.

I'm an idiot. Flame away, but help, please. :)

You're not an idiot because you made a mistake...you're not an idiot period.

I removed it too and I just downloaded damage control, unzipped it, went through the folders, and grabbed gtalkservice.apk out of it, pushed it to my phone and voila...buttt I attached it for you anyhow...

Attachments

• gtalkservice.apk
    367.9 KB · Views: 5,104
Last edited:

Skrypt

Jun 15, 2010
Cheers, mate. I'll give it a shot now. :)

EDIT: ooo, I love you. If you're ever in Gainesville, FL, I'll buy you a beer. Just PM me! hah

Last edited:

ajanderson78

Feb 28, 2009
This could be a stupid question but humor me please. What is google talk for??? I've set it up to not activate automaticly but it does anyways killing my battery. Is it needed?

soundviewscnslt

Jul 27, 2010
GTalk as system service

I feel the same as the original poster.....like an idiot.

I deleted the GTalk application as I was not using it and was trying to free up more space. However, I started receiving the "com.google.process.gapps" error soon thereafter.

In looking through forums and the internet, it appears that is a very common error with many causes. However, having the android sdk, it was suggested to use adb to get a bugreport.

In looking at my bugreport, I saw a lot of references to calls to the GTalk service. It is an underlying system service and it appears used by other apps as well. For example, I noticed that my GMail was not syncing consistently and I found myself manually refreshing to get it to sync.

I also noted that almost without fail, when I installed new apps in the Marketplace, I would see the "com.google.process.gapps" error.

My recommendation: Keep GTalk on your phone!

imthekiller

Jun 9, 2010
i did the same thing.

What does it mean to push a file to your phone? I dragged into onto my sd card and it still is giving me errors in the marker and constantly syncing... :(

cven32

Aug 26, 2010
Help!

This may sound really dumb but how do i go about installing the apk file? it tells me that im not allowed to cuz Google talk isnt referenced in the android market

nebenezer

Dec 2, 2009
Google services on your phone rely heavily on GTalk, as you guys are seeing. Even if you don't use it you need to keep it if you want to use pretty much any google apps such as the market, gmail, etc.

To install just put the apk on your sdcard, navigate to it using your favorite file explorer and click on it. Your phone has an installer that will recognize the apk as such and ask you if you want to install it.

Because RavenII was kind enough to post the apk you guys should be able to do all of this right from your phones.

*edit- I don't think it will be a problem but if you are not rooted you might get hung up on the install... wait a second.. if you're not rooted then you wouldn't have been able to remove it in the first place :p haha

imthekiller

Jun 9, 2010
Google services on your phone rely heavily on GTalk, as you guys are seeing. Even if you don't use it you need to keep it if you want to use pretty much any google apps such as the market, gmail, etc.

To install just put the apk on your sdcard, navigate to it using your favorite file explorer and click on it. Your phone has an installer that will recognize the apk as such and ask you if you want to install it.

This is a true statement. I am running DC 3.5.

My bad, I was navigating to the wrong file. Up and working now. :D

twilk73

Apr 9, 2009
Is google voice important? I uninstalled that and I am having issues getting voicemail but I dont think its because of google voice. I was messing with voicemail the last few days and now I cant get it to work.

nebenezer

Dec 2, 2009
Is google voice important? I uninstalled that and I am having issues getting voicemail but I dont think its because of google voice. I was messing with voicemail the last few days and now I cant get it to work.

GVoice is awesome, I use it and love it so I'm curious why you got rid of it but NO, it is not critical to anything on your phone, you can get along just fine without it.

If you were using gvioce and now you are not then you need to be sure you've done the following:

-Dial *38 and hit send. The call will drop and your gvoice line will be disassociated with your phone
-Under menu>settings>call_settings>voicemail_service make sure it is set to "my carrier"
-Under menu>settings>call_settings>voicemail_settings make sure your Voicemail number is set to your cellphone number

That should get you up and running.

I will offer this: I don't know what caused you to decide not to use gvoice but I had tons of problems with my Sprint voicemail service interfering with gvoice. I called Sprint and had them actually remove voicemail service from my account. GVoice has been flawless since then.

imthekiller

Jun 9, 2010
Looks like a spoke too soon. Sync keeps getting stuck at the google contacts part, gives me an error saying "sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly."

Anybody know what gtalk (or any other critial programs) has to do with this?

Last edited:

nebenezer

Dec 2, 2009
Looks like a spoke too soon. Sync keeps getting stuck at the google contacts part, gives me an error saying "sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly."

Anybody know what gtalk has to do with this?

lol, I almost posted that you must have some special setp because you would be the first.. :p but I didn't want to sound like an a-hole..

I don't know specifically what it is in gtalk that maintains google services, it's probably the program they use to maintain the google accounts database..

tony0691

Jun 14, 2010
Chicago
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Correct me if im wrong, but I thought there was a thread that confirmed that in froyo Gtalk isn't really necessary in order for all the other Gapps to run correctly. I know for sure I don't have Gtalk installed and everything is working fine in my Evo.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

nebenezer

Dec 2, 2009
Correct me if im wrong, but I thought there was a thread that confirmed that in froyo Gtalk isn't really necessary in order for all the other Gapps to run correctly. I know for sure I don't have Gtalk installed and everything is working fine in my Evo.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Interesting, I haven't heard this but it wouldn't surprise me

twilk73

Apr 9, 2009
GVoice is awesome, I use it and love it so I'm curious why you got rid of it but NO, it is not critical to anything on your phone, you can get along just fine without it.

If you were using gvioce and now you are not then you need to be sure you've done the following:

-Dial *38 and hit send. The call will drop and your gvoice line will be disassociated with your phone
-Under menu>settings>call_settings>voicemail_service make sure it is set to "my carrier"
-Under menu>settings>call_settings>voicemail_settings make sure your Voicemail number is set to your cellphone number

That should get you up and running.

I will offer this: I don't know what caused you to decide not to use gvoice but I had tons of problems with my Sprint voicemail service interfering with gvoice. I called Sprint and had them actually remove voicemail service from my account. GVoice has been flawless since then.

How do I forward calls to my google voice number? My carrier is google voice and my voice mail number is my google voice number. If you call my phone number it doesnt forward to google voice voice mail. However if you call my google voice mail number and leave me a voice mail I get a Gvoice message. So its working so why not stick with it. I originaly didnt want to use it because i had to sign in and I didnt want it wasting battery lol.

Edit; Never mind I think i was expecting the wrong number to forward lol its working. I guess this means I will have to give everyone my google voice number now. I was kinda hoping I could forward my number to my google voice number. Or can I after typing this edit I confused my self great lol.

Last edited: