Lumia 900 802.11n 5ghz support?

Search This thread

simbadogg

Aug 6, 2007
Corona
Like the title says, does anyone know for sure if the 900 supports 802.11n over 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz? been searching and i can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
Just out of curiousity, what would you do with an N connection on your phone?

Just curious, not judging or questioning your need.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo

Just curious, not judging or questioning your need.

for me , I just want to connect with what's available. But I have the same type of question around camera quality..why do you expect voque quality pics from from a phone camera placed in your pocket.

Your question to the wireless gave tme the perspective for the camera! :p

jhoff80

Apr 8, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

I assume you're asking why would I need a 5GHz connection and not a 2.4GHz connection: both can be 802.11n.

The reason is simple in my case. From various spots in my apartment, there's upwards of 25 different wireless connections on the 2.4GHz band. There's zero on the 5GHz band. If I'm connected on 2.4GHz, I'm lucky to get a signal 20 feet from my router.

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
I assume you're asking why would I need a 5GHz connection and not a 2.4GHz connection: both can be 802.11n.

The reason is simple in my case. From various spots in my apartment, there's upwards of 25 different wireless connections on the 2.4GHz band. There's zero on the 5GHz band. If I'm connected on 2.4GHz, I'm lucky to get a signal 20 feet from my router.

No, I am asking what the benefit of a potential 300MB(N) connection VS 10MB(B) or 54MB(G) to a cell phone would be considering most home internet is in the 1MB to 10MB range.

So essentially, what does one need a 300MB connection to their cell phone?

However, in your case I assume you only have N on the 2.4G band and no B or G ?

shiftf7

Mar 7, 2011
No, I am asking what the benefit of a potential 300MB(N) connection VS 10MB(B) or 54MB(G) to a cell phone would be considering most home internet is in the 1MB to 10MB range.

So essentially, what does one need a 300MB connection to their cell phone?

However, in your case I assume you only have N on the 2.4G band and no B or G ?

I think it could be useful if you do the "Wireless Sync" option with Zune. 300MB/s internal network speeds would make wireless syncing a lot faster. :)

But now that I think about it - since wireless syncing usually happens at night, while you're asleep, and your phone is charging... super fast speeds probably aren't need anyway.