Unable to flash custom recovery after root

Search This thread

JAYNO20

Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I was messing around and had a soft brick so I odin'd back to stock rom and got everything running and got root up and running. No matter how I do it I can NOT get a custom recovery to install. I tried Goo Manager which never actually downloads the file. I found the .tar file to install manually via Odin and it says it fails. I even tried clockwork mod to install clockwork recovery and it just boots me to the stock recovery. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
I was messing around and had a soft brick so I odin'd back to stock rom and got everything running and got root up and running. No matter how I do it I can NOT get a custom recovery to install. I tried Goo Manager which never actually downloads the file. I found the .tar file to install manually via Odin and it says it fails. I even tried clockwork mod to install clockwork recovery and it just boots me to the stock recovery. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

What is your build base? Mdk?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

JAYNO20

Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark
Yeah I did all the steps up until the actual recovery isn't installed. Goo Manger won't download anything at all but Clockwork Mod does and it says my recovery is set at either clockwork or twrp (which ever I pick) but when I boot into recovery its still just the stock one...

Install the all in one root and recovery tool for mdk...since you are already rooted you can skip that step...select the prep for recovery option...it will clean up and get rid of things that interfere with custom recovery and then select install either oudhs or twrp...these will allow you to flash updated cwm/twrp versions which I recommend to ensure proper flashing of newer roms...once one of these is installed you can always use rom manager or goo manager or the others to update...but I believe the prep for recovery step is crucial in having a functional custom recovery

Reactions: steven8515

JAYNO20

Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Install the all in one root and recovery tool for mdk...since you are already rooted you can skip that step...select the prep for recovery option...it will clean up and get rid of things that interfere with custom recovery and then select install either oudhs or twrp...these will allow you to flash updated cwm/twrp versions which I recommend to ensure proper flashing of newer roms...once one of these is installed you can always use rom manager or goo manager or the others to update...but I believe the prep for recovery step is crucial in having a functional custom recovery

I agree. Where can I find the all in one root and recovery tool for MDK?

harrymason37

Jan 17, 2014
Tago
Why dont you try to look for custom recovery thats suits your device manually and flash it using recovery tool app. You can get it in playstore

Sent from my U9200 using xda app-developers app

harrymason37

Jan 17, 2014
Tago
sure, i rely too much on pc before until i found out it can be done using app and even terminal emulator

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark
sure, i rely too much on pc before until i found out it can be done using app and even terminal emulator

Our devices are quirky... Some will do just fine just randomly flashing recovery...others just won't behave without going through the prep for recovery step...I know I flashed stock with Odin once before rooted again and had the same problems getting custom recovery setup...used the same steps to fix it then too...I would recommend these for anyone having issues with recovery install

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah I did all the steps up until the actual recovery isn't installed. Goo Manger won't download anything at all but Clockwork Mod does and it says my recovery is set at either clockwork or twrp (which ever I pick) but when I boot into recovery its still just the stock one...