New T-mo customer, slow data speed!

Search This thread

agkelos

Apr 20, 2008
Ok, so Im a new T-mo convert and I picked the S5 and prepaid unlimited everything ($80) plan. Im in the San Juan area in PR.

Ive been getting horrible data speeds <1Mbps since day one on the phone. The curious thing is that from 2 am to 6 am for (6 days straight now) speeds jumps to 15Mbps or higher. As soon as 6am ticks I'm back to Edge speeds. What is even weirder is that I swapped the sim card to my Note and started hitting 17Mbps or higher at any time.

I tried the new modem and it didnt work either. I also tried changing APNs to different values and going wcdma mode only and none work. I contacted customer support a few days agoand they said they would fix it but they havent. Since I'm on the 14 day thing, I think I may just return it.

Anyone with similar experience or know what could be going on?

jjlean

May 9, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
Ok, so Im a new T-mo convert and I picked the S5 and prepaid unlimited everything ($80) plan. Im in the San Juan area in PR.

Ive been getting horrible data speeds <1Mbps since day one on the phone. The curious thing is that from 2 am to 6 am for (6 days straight now) speeds jumps to 15Mbps or higher. As soon as 6am ticks I'm back to Edge speeds. What is even weirder is that I swapped the sim card to my Note and started hitting 17Mbps or higher at any time.

I tried the new modem and it didnt work either. I also tried changing APNs to different values and going wcdma mode only and none work. I contacted customer support a few days agoand they said they would fix it but they havent. Since I'm on the 14 day thing, I think I may just return it.

Anyone with similar experience or know what could be going on?

Are you using the SIM that came with your new phone?

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

agkelos

Apr 20, 2008
I am. With that sim on the S5 I get no data or edge speeds when I do get data,except from 2 am to 6 am which I get LTE speeds.

With that same simcard I get LTE speeds on my Note at all times.

erasat

Oct 2, 2010
I am. With that sim on the S5 I get no data or edge speeds when I do get data,except from 2 am to 6 am which I get LTE speeds.

With that same simcard I get LTE speeds on my Note at all times.

Return it and ask for a new one, I live in Caguas but I work on San Juan, and besides when I'm at the office, where all providers have the same signal issue, I have normal Data Speeds.

I must say that when I'm at home in Caguas, I get great LTE Speeds but in San Juan I have noticed that using 4G instead of LTE gives better download speeds, but from that to the issue you are describing is a great difference, that's why I'd suggest you get a new one during the 14 days.

agkelos

Apr 20, 2008
Return it and ask for a new one, I live in Caguas but I work on San Juan, and besides when I'm at the office, where all providers have the same signal issue, I have normal Data Speeds.

I must say that when I'm at home in Caguas, I get great LTE Speeds but in San Juan I have noticed that using 4G instead of LTE gives better download speeds, but from that to the issue you are describing is a great difference, that's why I'd suggest you get a new one during the 14 days.

Thanks, I think I may do just that. Especially now that I know you are nearby and have no problems.