How to Clear flash count/Unroot/Become Stock Again

Search This thread

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Hope someone can help me. Seems my microusb port is not working. Not sure if it was from a drop in the snow.
Had a case on and my water damage indicators seem fine.
I want to rever tto stock and see if I can get this fixed under warranty but if I can't use the microusb port to flash stock Rom with ODin how can I get back to stock.

Currently have TWRP and CleanROm.
Have a stock nandroid backup as well.

silentecho13

May 5, 2011
I've got a question.

I'm sending my phone back (got a replacement) but I'm running Skynote 8 with the Perseus kernel.

Would I be alright running triangleaway, or should I go and flash a stock-ish ROM (maybe one of Scott's) and then proceed?

I know that Skynote is also TW based, but my concern is the Perseus kernel and if it would interfere. I can't seem to find the damn stock kernel anywhere on here too...the one link I found in the information thread is dead/removed.

If I can use the Perseus kernel then I should be all good.

dlsnelling

Nov 28, 2009
For those that followed OP's steps but your status still says modified, consider looking at the following thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1983587&highlight=modified

I didn't believe it but I gave it a shot anyways. My external SD card contained root files so my phone recognized it and displayed the status as modified. I unmounted my SD card, restarted and device status reads Normal.

Thanks a ton this is the answer I needed.
I wish I had seen this in the first post. Even though you would take the SD card out before returning your phone I left it in as I downloaded triangle away to it. If I had known this from the begining it would have saved me hours of working on this and days of frustration.

silentecho13

May 5, 2011
Meh.

Here's what I did:

Factory reset, flashed stock de-odexed rom from Scott's page

Chainfire's AutoRoot, re-rooted and installed stock recovery

Installed Triangle Away, reset the counter

Rebooted

Uninstalled Triangle Away

Full Unroot through Super SU

Factory reset from stock recovery

Rebooted, still 'modified'

Flashed stock ATT image through ODIN

...Bootloop

Pulled battery, booted into recovery, factory reset again

Booted fine

System status is 'normal'

Status under download mode says 'official', but still has a 1-count for custom binary download.

Is this normal? Will AT&T have an issue with it?

How can I get rid of that 1-count?

bolm86

Sep 12, 2011
Buffalo, NY
i just put mine back and i have the i317m with rogers and i did not use the exact same method but almost the same and mine reset everywhere and even says official Samsung for downloads area and normal

1.) Reboot to TWRP recovery to complete a factory reset i did dalvick and cashe all too
2.) use this to return to stock with root inside already http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2004650

3.) Purchased & installed Triangle-Away from market
4.) Used Triangle-Away to reset the counter
5.) After reboot (from step 4) uninstalled Triangle Away
6.) Via SuperSU, used the Full Unroot option to unroot. Checked GN2 Device Status and it said Modified
7.) Booted into stock recovery performed a factory reset.(hold home and power and vol up button see samsung release all but the up vol then factory reset)
8.) After device rebooted, checked Device Status again and it said Normal(check download mode home and power button volume down then once asked to vol up and check)
9.) Returned the device to att corp store; att checked and confirmed device status (as Normal) and issued a refund.

hope this helps a bit more for some one i put in the buttons for getting into modes for someone who forgets like me .. take care thanks for the thread here helped me out..
20121217113001.jpg

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you for sharing it saved me alot of headaches after several tries with the other methods.

rha_december

Jan 29, 2012
Fayetteville
This method, as well as many others, did not work for me.
However, I did find a way to make it work.
1) I flashed the root injected rom from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2004650
2) And then used Triangle away, checked to see if it reset to 0.
3) Then I uninstalled Triangle away and used full unroot through supersu.
4) Then I booted into the stock recovery and factory reset the phone. Now it says "normal" under device status. If I go into download mode it shows "no," as well as official.

jon3sh

Sep 17, 2009
This method, as well as many others, did not work for me.
However, I did find a way to make it work.
1) I flashed the root injected rom from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2004650
2) And then used Triangle away, checked to see if it reset to 0.
3) Then I uninstalled Triangle away and used full unroot through supersu.
4) Then I booted into the stock recovery and factory reset the phone. Now it says "normal" under device status. If I go into download mode it shows "no," as well as official.

I managed to clear flash counter but device still shows Modified.

JQ27HHH

Jan 12, 2009
Probably off topic, before I unroot, is there any way to back up all apps and settings, with Titanium for example, then unroot, then restore backup? I have so much on my phone that it may not be worth it to reinstall everything over again. I'm mainly concerned about not receiving OTA updates.

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Sorry for noob question but the purpose of this is to remain rooted w recovery?

Because as long as you have dl mode you can revert to fresh stock with sammys em tool.

I soft bricked / boot looped my gs3,
Even corrupted my recovery and the em tool worked all the time.

What advantage does this method have or why use this over em tool?
Its always nice to have alternate methods but just wondering.

alexnoalex

Mar 18, 2006
Probably off topic, before I unroot, is there any way to back up all apps and settings, with Titanium for example, then unroot, then restore backup? I have so much on my phone that it may not be worth it to reinstall everything over again. I'm mainly concerned about not receiving OTA updates.

You can use 'adb backup/restore' on PC. Worked well for me. There is also some small project that allows selective restore with adb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This morning I decided it was time for flash count clear/un-root / back to stock
    I searched forum for hours finally finding something tucked away from clear view that would give me results I seeked.
    This method took me about 10 min , successfully clearing count , doing away with root giving me factory out of the box ready for ATT store exchange if needed.
    Many thanks to cortez.

This method was posted by cortez in chainfire root thread.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33949289&postcount=51
    @CF - donation made for your efforts with the "keep it simple root method"! this is the easiest method to root and then unroot that i've used. :) right after i rooted my device, i installed GooManager, flashed TWRP and began customizing my device. however, after a couple of days with my GN2, i've determined i'm not the targeted user for this device, so i unrooted and returned to att. this is a solid device, super fast, fluid with unlimited potential! In my case, I simply prefer the size of my S3.

my unroot, return to stock rom, stock recovery and Normal device status are listed below. AS ALWAYS I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS FUBAR's YOUR DEVICE. i'm simply posting for informational purposes only. (not sure all of the steps below are are necessary):

1. Reboot to TWRP recovery to complete a factory reset
    2. Used CF's method to re-root and reinstall the stock recovery (e.g., method listed in 2nd Post of this thread).
    3. Purchased & installed Triangle-Away from market
    4. Used Triangle-Away to reset the counter
    5. After reboot (from step 4) uninstalled Triangle Away
    6. Via SuperSU, used the Full Unroot option to unroot. Checked GN2 Device Status and it said Modified
    7. Booted into stock recovery performed a factory reset.
    8. After device rebooted, checked Device Status again and it said Normal
    9. Returned the device to att corp store; att checked and confirmed device status (as Normal) and issued a refund.
    CF, thanks again for your efforts!
    I can vouch for that app used it twice flawlessly ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
    funny thing happened to me after i returned my first Note2; i won another one at a special event the same day (evening)! seriously. i could not believe it!

glad the method i used worked for you. CF deserves all the credit for making it super simple!
    So u are using the same tar file to root? This will install stock recovery?

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;)
    Not using a tar file to root.
    If such file was available this thread title would read
    ***AT&T STOCK TAR FILE AVAILABLE!!!!***
    I would throw in some big smileys it would be a party thread.

When you root using Chainfire method it provides Stock Recovery to fall back on.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1980644
    I tried this, to the letter, it didn't work.

I never did anything other than rooting using CF-auto root to root so I could restore from Titanium Backup.

I'm on the i317M.

I did a factory reset through the stock recovery (Would TWRP make a difference?), re-rooted using CF-auto root, installed Triangle Away, ran it, did a full unroot through SU, did another factory reset and still, device shows modified.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I desperately want to go back to stock.

EDIT: TriangleAway says: "on new devices like the SGS3/SGNote2/SGNote10.1, status can only be reset on some firmwares - they must be stock firmwares!" - I am on a stock firmware! But it doesn't reset my status. In download mode, it still says "custom" - annoying!
    Yes TWRP could play factor.

If in your shoes I would,
    Chainfire root.
    Install TWRP using Goomanager
    Make back up in TWRP then reboot device.
    Boot into TWRP and install recovery
    From there follow direction in op to get stock.
    What do you mean by "Boot into TWRP and install recovery"? Flash the stock recovery while in TWRP? Why do this if CF-autoroot will flash stock recovery anyway?

What I did:

CF-autoroot
    Goomanager - install TWRP
    Create backup in TWRP
    Wipe /data and /cache in TWRP
    Reboot into download mode
    Flash CF-autoroot (flashes stock recovery)
    Run Triangle Away
    Check device status - still modified
    Factory reset through stock recovery
    Check device status - still modified.

What is preventing my device from reading "original" where others have succeeded? It's puzzling. Anyway, thanks for all your help. I will probably just wait for a stock ODIN flashable firmware to make everything well again.
    based on your reply, it appears you missed the step to open the SuperSU app and select the Full Unroot option. once this is done, then perform a factory reset from stock.