Rockbox VGA (Updated to stable 3.7 release)

Search This thread

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
As an avid Rockbox user, I was excited when I discovered this page with precompiled apk's for us. Link I then sadly found out there was no VGA version, only QVGA, HVGA, and WVGA. So I decided to compile it for our beloved VGA RAPH devices. I attached the .apk. Download and install rockboxfixed.apk, download this and extract the "fonts" folder (Inside the zip it is /rockbox-fonts/.rockbox/fonts) to the "rockbox" folder on your sdcard then it should look like the second image and should be more usable. It appears, however, if you extract it to the sdcard you have to manually use the rockbox filebrowser or the theme settings to set it to your selected font. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Outdated: Haven't really gotten to test it so I expect I made an error somewhere, possible in signing the app or whatnot. I'll fix it tomorrow.

P.S. For anyone who doesn't know what Rockbox is: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox

Edit: Noticed some issues then realized I compiled it for 640 x 480 landscape not 480 x 640 portrait like it should be. Uploaded a new version. *Crosses fingers*

Edit 2: To fix the tiny font follow these steps:
1. Download and extract this and extract it to your sdcard so you have a folder called "fonts" at the root of your sdcard.
2. Open terminal emulator and type: su
3. Type cd sdcard
4. Type cp -af fonts /data/data/org.rockbox/app_rockbox/rockbox
That should do it. It should now look like the second screenshot when you open rockbox. I'll see if I can incorporate the fonts into the apk but not sure how to do that right now.

Edit 3: Wow, just discovered something. You can just copy the fonts folder the the "rockbox" folder at the root of your sdcard. Makes it significantly easier.

Attachments

• rockbox.apk
    2.2 MB · Views: 952
  • rockboxfixed.apk
    2.2 MB · Views: 811
  • Original.png
    Original.png
    4 KB · Views: 1,096
  • Fontsadded.png
    Fontsadded.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,470
  • rockbox37.apk
    2.2 MB · Views: 401
Last edited:

djdafreund

Dec 19, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for doing that. Man, i used to have an iRiver, and used and grabbed daily builds for that thing. For other's, it's a really awesome mediaplayer. Well, more then that. I was playing arcade games and doom and such thanks to Rockbox really. This was amazing for an MP3 player that is.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Thanks for doing that. Man, i used to have an iRiver, and used and grabbed daily builds for that thing. For other's, it's a really awesome mediaplayer. Well, more then that. I was playing arcade games and doom and such thanks to Rockbox really. This was amazing for an MP3 player that is.
Yeah, I have a Gigabeat S that I LOVE with Rockbox. Best music experience hands down. But also, like you said, I played through doom and every Pokemon for Game boy. Sigh... good times. Anyways, have you tried my apk? Just curious how it works.

Sent from my MSM using XDA App

djdafreund

Dec 19, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Ok, tried it last night, and not usable. Something about the screen size might be wrong, as the screen fill's up the top left corner (about 1/16 of the screen), and the menu is so small you literally have to squint to read the text, instead of it filling the whole screen. I don't have a picture, but honestly, if you think about an icon size in "Sense", the whole screen menu is honestly MUCH smaller in size in whole then 1 Sense icon.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Ok, tried it last night, and not usable. Something about the screen size might be wrong, as the screen fill's up the top left corner (about 1/16 of the screen), and the menu is so small you literally have to squint to read the text, instead of it filling the whole screen. I don't have a picture, but honestly, if you think about an icon size in "Sense", the whole screen menu is honestly MUCH smaller in size in whole then 1 Sense icon.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I found a fix and am about to edit the first post.

djdafreund

Dec 19, 2008
Atlanta, GA
ok,sounds good, will definately try the new version. Not meaning to get off topic,but noticing ur sig, what's ur take on Ubuntu on our devices? Lots not working,but not needing 3d accel for now, if mouse,keyboard, and screen at least works at a usable state,just to play with. Since guessing u use or at least test it, wanted to get some feedback from ya.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
ok,sounds good, will definately try the new version. Not meaning to get off topic,but noticing ur sig, what's ur take on Ubuntu on our devices? Lots not working,but not needing 3d accel for now, if mouse,keyboard, and screen at least works at a usable state,just to play with. Since guessing u use or at least test it, wanted to get some feedback from ya.

Well, it's not so much a new version as a way to fix the previous one. Anyways, Ubuntu is actually rather usable. Mouse, keyboard, and screen all work; it's just a little slow but not too bad. Sound is now partly working too.

v1ks_

Oct 26, 2010
Hi there,

Not a dev or anything, just an avid music junky...
Wanted to let you know that the fonts fix doesn't work on HTC Desire w/ Froyo. Sort of did everything as described but nothing.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

V

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
That's a native Android device... Not sure why you're posting in the Fuze section. Do they have the same resolution, and there is no RockBox app that is for the Desire...? I'd be surprised.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Hi there,

Not a dev or anything, just an avid music junky...
Wanted to let you know that the fonts fix doesn't work on HTC Desire w/ Froyo. Sort of did everything as described but nothing.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

V

First off, you should download the WVGA version from here not the one I posted. Second, did you try copying the fonts folder to both locations, within the data folder and the sdcard? Just curious if one might work and not the other. I also changed the first post to be a little more clear. Actually I'm having a little trouble with getting it to recognize the fonts on the sdcard too. I just took the rockbox people's word for it. One way to fix it is to use the rockbox filebrowser and just select the font you want. That should do it.

P.S. I'm no dev either, I just know how to use a Linux command line somewhat. :)

Last edited:

graybix

Oct 12, 2010
JesusFreak316 thank you for the info. Im a huge fan of Rockbox for audiobooks. when someone gets Timestretch working it'll be content.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
JesusFreak316 thank you for the info. Im a huge fan of Rockbox for audiobooks. when someone gets Timestretch working it'll be content.

You're very welcome. Timestretch has nothing to do with me, as I'm sure you already know. That's up to the real rockbox devs to incorporate. Just out of curiosity, what do you use timestretch for? I use it for learning guitar licks in songs.

d3sm0nd

Dec 28, 2007
Sofia
Finally... I've been asking for a Rockbox port for ages!
Will try it out on my Desire and let you know... keep it up dude!

kugel.

Jul 11, 2010
News on what? It should be working relatively well, and I updated it to 3.7, the newest stable build of rockbox.

That's sounds like there was a stable Rockbox build for Android which totally isn't true. It's *unstable* and largely unusable. 3.7 is stable for a lot of other devices, but not even a single android phone.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
That's sounds like there was a stable Rockbox build for Android which totally isn't true. It's *unstable* and largely unusable. 3.7 is stable for a lot of other devices, but not even a single android phone.

I guess that's true, but what should I call it then? It didn't seem unstable to me though, just incomplete.

Top Liked Posts