lost root after updating to 4.4.4

Search This thread

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I am using Ubuntu 12.04.
I previously unlocked the nexus 5 using CF-Auto-Root, and after the update to 4.4.4 i need to root it again.
in the fastboot mode states “LOCK STATE - unlocked”

the command is

Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-hammerhead.img
< waiting for device >

but other fastboot commands like fastboot reboot-bootloader do not work either

i have changed /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules to

# Google Nexus 7 16 Gb
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e42", MODE="0666", OWNER="dodohjk" # MTP mode with USB debug on

I dont have any udev rules on my ubuntu box... Have you tried removing them temporarily?

dodohjk

Sep 25, 2012
Maybe a problem with your Bootloader. Have you tried the second (backup) bootloader?

Main bootloader: Vol down + Power
Backup bootloader: Vol up + Vol Down + Power

same problem

never knew thier was a backup bootloader. It is similar apart that main bootloader is version HHZ11k, and backup one is HHZ10x

could it be i am missing some drivers?
i have used
Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
, was that the right thing?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
same problem

never knew thier was a backup bootloader. It is similar apart that main bootloader is version HHZ11k, and backup one is HHZ10x

could it be i am missing some drivers?
i have used
Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
, was that the right thing?

Were not like windows users. It either connects or it doesn't

Tried other cables? Usb ports?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dodohjk

Sep 25, 2012
Were not like windows users. It either connects or it doesn't

Tried other cables? Usb ports?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tried with a diifferent cable (amazon's kindle one!) and different port. Still stuck.

this is my terminals commands for reference
Code:
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ adb reboot bootloader
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ fastboot devices
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx	fastboot
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

i have discovered how to access the stock recovery. Can that help me somehow?

Last edited:

Sharpie24l

Jun 4, 2014
Gainesville, FL
tried with a diifferent cable (amazon's kindle one!) and different port. Still stuck.

this is my terminals commands for reference
Code:
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ adb reboot bootloader
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ fastboot devices
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxfastboot
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

i have discovered how to access the stock recovery. Can that help me somehow?

The first time I unlocked my nexus and custom recovery'd it I had the same issue. And even though it shouldn't have fixed it I
rebooted my phone and my laptop.
Let both boot back up.
Plugged in the phone with factory cord.
Sudo Adb kill-server
Sudo adb start-server
Adb devices
Adb Reboot fastboot

And it worked device showed up fine but would hang every time at the same spot until I sudo (I'm on Linux mint yours may not be sudo I'm not sure just terminal super user) kill- server and sudo start-server. If I didn't sudo them both it wouldn't work. And for some reason I had to do that then reboot into fastboot. If I started in fast boot it would hang just like if I wasn't root accessed. Don't know why it was finicky like that but after the first time I did it its acted normal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

dodohjk

Sep 25, 2012
The first time I unlocked my nexus and custom recovery'd it I had the same issue. And even though it shouldn't have fixed it I
rebooted my phone and my laptop.
Let both boot back up.
Plugged in the phone with factory cord.
Sudo Adb kill-server
Sudo adb start-server
Adb devices
Adb Reboot fastboot

And it worked device showed up fine but would hang every time at the same spot until I sudo (I'm on Linux mint yours may not be sudo I'm not sure just terminal super user) kill- server and sudo start-server. If I didn't sudo them both it wouldn't work. And for some reason I had to do that then reboot into fastboot. If I started in fast boot it would hang just like if I wasn't root accessed. Don't know why it was finicky like that but after the first time I did it its acted normal.

sudo is the super user in ubuntu terminal as well

i tried the steps untill adb reboot fastboot. Is this command ment to reboot you in the fastboot mode? because it restarts my device in the android OS.

however i then tried to flashboot the twrp recovery while in flashboot mode but nothing

Sharpie24l

Jun 4, 2014
Gainesville, FL

i tried the steps untill adb reboot fastboot. Is this command ment to reboot you in the fastboot mode? because it restarts my device in the android OS.

however i then tried to flashboot the twrp recovery while in flashboot mode but nothing

I'm sorry man I meant reboot into the boot loader lol its noon here and I haven't slept yet. Had an awesome fourth of July and dreading the hangover when I get up lol.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010

You're going to have to work out whether it's your phone, your computer hardware or software.

I would recommend firstly trying to run ubuntu in a live cd within a VMware player VM. See if that makes a difference. If not try another computer all together (preferably a windows one).

If both fail it is your phone. We just dont know right now.

"adb reboot bootloader" reboots into fastboot, which is the bootloader.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have same issue. already flashed the clockworkmod recovery, but when I try to install the root zip it aborts the installation

help please

Re-download the zip, it's possibly a bad download. If that current work let us know what version of cwm and super su you're using