[APP] Force2SD

Search This thread

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
I added apk file size to the display.

By the way, one reason I like this even for apps that can be moved to SD in normal ways is that it does its scan much faster, at least in my configuration, than apps2sd or Settings|Applications.

doenis

Oct 26, 2006
is it normal that it only shows userapps? eg. maps, facebook etc does not show up on the list

doenis

Oct 26, 2006
yes, they are in the /system/app folder. are you saying that moving those apps to the sd wouldn't count towards free space on hte device? i am looking for a way to move maps to the sd, as it takes up the most space of all the apps that can't be moved.

petersm

Aug 7, 2008
Nice app, it also seems to be working on android gingerbread (NAND HD2) 2.3

Edit: Except for widgets. but that's no problem

Last edited:

saynotopunx

Oct 2, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Great idea. Downloaded. Moved 2 apps to SD, then checked out list for SD to Phone (nothing moved, just looking around) and got a FC. Will keep for a while to check out future updates.

Ideas for future:
-app icons (so you can tell WHICH angry birds app you're moving :p)
-file size before / after move
-total available space
-multi-select (something that would GREATLY improve the app over settings)

Keep it up!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

maff90

Jan 12, 2009
i just wanted to check, can moving some of these apps that can't be moved normally cause the apps to stop working or should they just all carry on working as normal?
thanks for the great app
maff90

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
This seems like a great tool for full wipes prior to loading a new ROM. Then TiBu would only be needed for the app data correct?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using the Tapatalk app.

I don't know if it would work. On my Archos 43 when apps are moved to storage, the OS does not include them in packages.xml when it generates a fresh packages.xml after resetting Android. As a result, storage can contain orphan apps after a reset. Of course, if you restore packages.xml from a backup, that should work.

I just back /data up with tar.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
i just wanted to check, can moving some of these apps that can't be moved normally cause the apps to stop working or should they just all carry on working as normal?

Apps that are moved don't get their on-boot notification. If they absolutely need their on-boot notification to function (e.g., apps that start up some service on boot), they won't work. Likewise, input method apps (e.g., Swype) won't be available after a boot, though you might be able to enable it manually afterwards in the Settings. I wouldn't move Android Market. I did move Amazon App Store and AppsLib with no problems, though. I don't know what happens if you move a browser helper, like a pdf viewer or flash--these might need to register on boot or something like that.

See here for more information: http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/install-location.html

Moreover, it's probably better not to move tiny apps, because apps moved to storage take longer to have their icons show up in the launcher after a boot. I moved most of my apps that are over 200kb.

If an app doesn't work after being moved, just move it back.

Reactions: maff90

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Great idea. Downloaded. Moved 2 apps to SD, then checked out list for SD to Phone (nothing moved, just looking around) and got a FC. Will keep for a while to check out future updates.

Ideas for future:
-app icons (so you can tell WHICH angry birds app you're moving :p)
-file size before / after move
-total available space
-multi-select (something that would GREATLY improve the app over settings)

0. I wonder about the crash. If you have adb set up and can duplicate the crash in the latest version (I posted 0.10), watch with adb logcat to see where the crash happens and send me the log.
1. App icons will really slow down the application list fetching. Maybe I could include app icons in the list for moving to SD, but the list for moving from SD is very slow.
2. The file size I show is the apk file size. This does not change with the move as far as I know.
3. Total available space shows up in the current version.
4. That's more work than I want to do. :)

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Some more answers and comments;

1. I uploaded version 0.10. This fixes hangs in low memory situations due to the package installed broadcast being sent to all apps. The solution is drastic: as soon as the packagemanager reports success, I kill the thread. This may cause some problems. Let me know if it does. Seems to work fine for me, though. Also, version 0.10 lets you conveniently delete apps right from the list--just do a long-hold on the app, and you get an uninstall option.

2. Force2SD works pretty much like pm setInstallLocation 2, except it moves apps individually, after they were installed. I don't want to set all my apps to install automatically in storage. If you want to duplicate its functionality manually, what it does is: pm install -r -s /data/app/filename.apk

3. I don't really want to spend $25 at this point to register with Android Market. Once my open source astronomy app is done, I'll want to do that, I guess.

4. For people who want icons to tell different versions of Angry Birds apart, I have a simple "solution": just move them all to SD--they're large apks, and you'll save a lot of space. :) (Actually, they can be moved with the standard OS tools.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Force2SD moves user (not system) apps to SD that the OS normally doesn't allow movement of. Needs root and 2.2.

Source code available.

Official release is now in Market. For test versions, click the source code link.
    yes, they are in the /system/app folder. are you saying that moving those apps to the sd wouldn't count towards free space on hte device? i am looking for a way to move maps to the sd, as it takes up the most space of all the apps that can't be moved.
    This seems like a great tool for full wipes prior to loading a new ROM. Then TiBu would only be needed for the app data correct?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using the Tapatalk app.

Apps that are moved don't get their on-boot notification. If they absolutely need their on-boot notification to function (e.g., apps that start up some service on boot), they won't work. Likewise, input method apps (e.g., Swype) won't be available after a boot, though you might be able to enable it manually afterwards in the Settings. I wouldn't move Android Market. I did move Amazon App Store and AppsLib with no problems, though. I don't know what happens if you move a browser helper, like a pdf viewer or flash--these might need to register on boot or something like that.

See here for more information: http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/install-location.html

Moreover, it's probably better not to move tiny apps, because apps moved to storage take longer to have their icons show up in the launcher after a boot. I moved most of my apps that are over 200kb.

If an app doesn't work after being moved, just move it back.
    OK, I put an official release in Market, for $0.99.