Verified, ran August GB RUU and phone re-rooted

Search This thread

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
Okay I verified that if you have s-off you will be able to get root back on your phone if you run the RUU.

As expected the RUU did unroot my phone but it didn't touch s-off. So I downloaded CWM 3.0.0.8 from dougpiston.com and changed it to PB31IMG.zip (this has to be a flashable zip file to work) and it loaded from hboot no problem. I then downloaded the latest superuser app using ROM Manager, version 2.3.6.3 efgh, older versions will not work, and just flashed it through recovery. Superuser does not need to be renamed update.zip you can just leave the name as is and select let me choose zip from sdcard and it installs just fine.

Took a while for me to get superuser running again as I had an older version and I could only find the newest version in ROM Manager.

****YOU MUST HAVE S-OFF FOR THIS TO WORK*********************

Last edited:

swindelljd

Mar 13, 2010
Okay I verified that if you have s-off you will be able to get root back on your phone if you run the RUU.

As expected the RUU did unroot my phone but it didn't touch s-off. So I downloaded CWM 3.0.0.8 from dougpiston.com and changed it to PB31IMG.zip (this has to be a flashable zip file to work) and it loaded from hboot no problem. I then downloaded the latest superuser app using ROM Manager, version 2.3.6.3 efgh, older versions will not work, and just flashed it through recovery. Superuser does not need to be renamed update.zip you can just leave the name as is and select let me choose zip from sdcard and it installs just fine.

Took a while for me to get superuser running again as I had an older version and I could only find the newest version in ROM Manager.

I can't seem to find a link to to superuser inside ROM Manager. Can you tell me where to locate it?

thanks,
John

swindelljd

Mar 13, 2010
Thanks to you both. I didn't even click on the Download ROM because it's premium and I'm still getting my feet wet with the whole root thing. I'm off to try the GB RUU w/radio and then re-root.

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
You can only re-root if you have s-off. S-on blocks you from replacing the stock recovery with a custom recovery and blocks the installation of superuser into the system folder.

Eventually the Unrevoked team will come up with a new way to root phones but this most likely won't happen till the OTA actually starts to drop and people report how they lost root. And then who knows how long it will take them to do it. Could be a few days to a few months.

deadsoulboy

Sep 3, 2009
Orange County
anthonyhelmer.com
You can only re-root if you have s-off. S-on blocks you from replacing the stock recovery with a custom recovery and blocks the installation of superuser into the system folder.

Eventually the Unrevoked team will come up with a new way to root phones but this most likely won't happen till the OTA actually starts to drop and people report how they lost root. And then who knows how long it will take them to do it. Could be a few days to a few months.

Jeez, can't believe I screwed myself like that. I'm a regular root/flasher, and no idea how to get my fix now..

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
Jeez, can't believe I screwed myself like that. I'm a regular root/flasher, and no idea how to get my fix now..

I ran the RUU with all expectations of not being able to re-root my phone just so I could test if the OTA would change the security settings on my phone. I also still wasn't sure if I could even get root back if it was still s-off so I was willing to experiment with knowing full well what could happen. From past experience with the Eris and losing root for about 3 months you have to flash these leaks with all expectations that it will break your phone and not sweat it too much if it does as eventually someone will find a fix.

deadsoulboy

Sep 3, 2009
Orange County
anthonyhelmer.com
I ran the RUU with all expectations of not being able to re-root my phone just so I could test if the OTA would change the security settings on my phone. I also still wasn't sure if I could even get root back if it was still s-off so I was willing to experiment with knowing full well what could happen. From past experience with the Eris and losing root for about 3 months you have to flash these leaks with all expectations that it will break your phone and not sweat it too much if it does as eventually someone will find a fix.

You're absolutely right. I have no doubt in my mind someone will come up with a way to root 2.3 on the INC

swskeptic

Aug 23, 2011
Alright, I've got s-off, downloaded the superuser 2.3.6.3 efgh app from the ROM manager butttt... now what? I've tried to boot into recovery but I just get an icon of a phone with an exclamation mark inside of a triangle, which I'm assuming isn't good.

swskeptic

Aug 23, 2011
I tried that but it gives me an error saying: "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!".

merlin66676

Jul 16, 2010
If you flashed the GB RUU and lost root and/or s-off.
Someone correct me please if I'm wrong but couldn't you download the froyo RUU and load it then root and s-off?

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Last edited:

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
You're absolutely right. I have no doubt in my mind someone will come up with a way to root 2.3 on the INC

The Eris had a manual method (race method) for rooting the phone but I could never find one posted for the Inc. It involved having the phone connected to a pc with adb running and then taking out the sdcard and rebooting, at a certain point of the boot process you counted to 4 and then pushed the sdcard back in. If you did it correctly adb was able to connect to the phone and you could slip a custom recovery and su in. It was rather complicated and only a handful of people ever did it correctly myself included and it was eventually replaced by a one-click method. The one-click method still pretty much does the same thing you just don't have to manually remove the sdcard or have the phone connected to a pc. In some ways the Eris has a lot more support from its community than the Inc does probably because it was Verizons first android phone.

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
How are you trying to flash it? I'd recommend getting the 3.0.0.7 (AMOLED) or 3.0.0.8 (SLCD) recovery from www.dougpiston.com. Flash in hboot. Or is that how you're doing it?

I second this it has to be a flashable version (contains android-info text file + the recovery image) to work. I used the 3.0.0.8 file from doug pistons website which is already to go just needs to be renamed PB31IMG.zip and make sure it isn't being named PB31IMG.zip.zip as file extensions can be hidden especially if you are renaming it on a pc. I downloaded it directly to my phone and renamed it there so the extension wasn't hidden.

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
Alright, I've got s-off, downloaded the superuser 2.3.6.3 efgh app from the ROM manager butttt... now what? I've tried to boot into recovery but I just get an icon of a phone with an exclamation mark inside of a triangle, which I'm assuming isn't good.

I beleive that is becasue you stil have the stock recovery? Did you flash the clockwork recovery from dougpiston.com?

swskeptic

Aug 23, 2011
I flashed the clockwork mod recovery 3.0.0.7 from dougpiston via hboot.

I tried several different ways to boot into recovery to flash the superuser app but it isn't working. When I try to do it from the clockword mod app it says the same error: "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!".

I tried to manually download the superuser .zip and boot into recovery from the hboot menu, but it still gave me that same phone icon with the exclamation mark and triangle and then nothing.

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
I flashed the clockwork mod recovery 3.0.0.7 from dougpiston via hboot.

I tried several different ways to boot into recovery to flash the superuser app but it isn't working. When I try to do it from the clockword mod app it says the same error: "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!".

I tried to manually download the superuser .zip and boot into recovery from the hboot menu, but it still gave me that same phone icon with the exclamation mark and triangle and then nothing.

First thing are you getting into recovery from the hboot menu? And you can't get into recovery from ROM Manager because you need superuser installed to do it that way. It still sounds to me like you don't have ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Maybe only version 3.0.0.8 works I'm not sure but that version is for both amoled and SLCD screens. So either try reflashing your copy of 3.0.0.7 or try flashing 3.0.0.8. I do think I had to flash the recovery a couple times to get it to stick.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My phone (unrooted) has downloaded the update and wants to install. I haven't run the install yet as I want to be able to root. Should I run unrevoked forever and then let it install? Do I need to copy any files off the phone that could be useful to devs before I run the install?

Thanks,

Todd

You should absolutely run unrevoked forever to achieve S-Off before you install the OTA update. This is a perm-root solution that cannot be (as I understand it) revoked via an OTA update. Once you have achieved S-Off, you should be able to run the GB update and (as kzoodroid has previously stated), flash an alternate recovery/install SU/achieve root.

Unrevoked: do it.
    no thanks necessary but its appreciated and i'm glad to see it worked for you.
    under download rom > extras
    under download rom > extras
    You can also get it from here