[HOW-TO] Downgrade from JB to ICS with locked bootloader

Search This thread

denis_test

Sep 20, 2012
kyiv
Have you modified any system files? like build.prop, uninstall or replace any system apps? I suggest to do a factory reset and repeat the upgrade process.

Probably I will not be happy. No I did not make modifications, and delete the system software can not. Already done, and wipe and full reset :(

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Probably I will not be happy. No I did not make modifications, and delete the system software can not. Already done, and wipe and full reset :(

If you unzip the update is there another zip file inside? If there is, rename that one and put in the root of your sdcard. I've done this method muitiple times without any issue. But then I was on jb .20 version. I havent tried it on the latest .25

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

denis_test

Sep 20, 2012
kyiv
If you unzip the update is there another zip file inside? If there is, rename that one and put in the root of your sdcard. I've done this method muitiple times without any issue. But then I was on jb .20 version. I havent tried it on the latest .25

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Archive in the archive, extract the archive and rename the second

denis_test

Sep 20, 2012
kyiv
So. Describe your problem to solve, who can stalknetsya. Attempts to rollback jb ics failed. With the latest version of the firmware to the previous version of the incident adroidom ends with an exclamation point. What has been tried:

1. Different versions of the firmware off of previous versions (downloaded from hda)
2. Different memory card with fat32 (memory card only pameschalsya archive firmware)
3. Master reset to factory settings
4. Vap
5. Md5 checked for authenticity
6. Tried to rename the file according to the instructions (inside archive) and installed via paver volap, voldaun
7. Tried to put the internal firmware archive to the root of the memory card (do not rename it. Uvedobmenie appears that it has found updates, offers to install, warns that the data will be lost, agree reboots tablet, android falls with an exclamation point in a couple of minutes perezagruzhetsya, a notice "no update have an unknown error ")
8. Tried to rename the file extension and uberat

System applications are not removed, thawed, making the firmware have been made. Tablet and firmware versions us, bought in Kiev. Updates come normally and properly updated over the air. Attempts to unlock not conducted. Serial c8.

Solution is found, we will learn to live without root loss guarantees - not an option. (Already there is one brick from Acer)

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
So. Describe your problem to solve, who can stalknetsya. Attempts to rollback jb ics failed. With the latest version of the firmware to the previous version of the incident adroidom ends with an exclamation point. What has been tried:

1. Different versions of the firmware off of previous versions (downloaded from hda)
2. Different memory card with fat32 (memory card only pameschalsya archive firmware)
3. Master reset to factory settings
4. Vap
5. Md5 checked for authenticity
6. Tried to rename the file according to the instructions (inside archive) and installed via paver volap, voldaun
7. Tried to put the internal firmware archive to the root of the memory card (do not rename it. Uvedobmenie appears that it has found updates, offers to install, warns that the data will be lost, agree reboots tablet, android falls with an exclamation point in a couple of minutes perezagruzhetsya, a notice "no update have an unknown error ")
8. Tried to rename the file extension and uberat

System applications are not removed, thawed, making the firmware have been made. Tablet and firmware versions us, bought in Kiev. Updates come normally and properly updated over the air. Attempts to unlock not conducted. Serial c8.

Solution is found, we will learn to live without root loss guarantees - not an option. (Already there is one brick from Acer)

Hey I have one more for you to try. I suspect something is messup in the sys files or stock recovery. Download the latest full firmware JB .25 from Asus, then unzip and put the file on root of your sdcard, you should see in notification to upgrade. See if that work.

denis_test

Sep 20, 2012
kyiv
Hey I have one more for you to try. I suspect something is messup in the sys files or stock recovery. Download the latest full firmware JB .25 from Asus, then unzip and put the file on root of your sdcard, you should see in notification to upgrade. See if that work.

Tried. Download the latest firmware, removed arhiviz archive and uploaded to the root of the memory card. Even the notice does not appear, restart but no notice

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
try boot into recover, see if that work.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

nanias

Feb 2, 2012
Hi guys I am trying to do this downgrade for rooting, I downloaded the .30 firmware, unzipped and renamed it and copied to sd root, but whenever I boot into recovery (RCK) it displays the working android and right after the dead droid with the exclamation mark. If I do nothing it simply reboots but nothing happens/changes. I am on locked stock un-rooted JB.25 firmware. Anyone have a suggestion? Cheers

nellanayrb

Nov 12, 2008
Ferndale, MI
Hi guys I am trying to do this downgrade for rooting, I downloaded the .30 firmware, unzipped and renamed it and copied to sd root, but whenever I boot into recovery (RCK) it displays the working android and right after the dead droid with the exclamation mark. If I do nothing it simply reboots but nothing happens/changes. I am on locked stock un-rooted JB.25 firmware. Anyone have a suggestion? Cheers

I'm getting the same thing when following this procedure on 10.4.4.25. Not sure if there's a newer method to root on this firmware?

DarkFire1985

Feb 13, 2009
Add me to the list of getting the exclamation mark and the dead droid though getting the Signature Match message.

I tried to downgrade to 9.4.5.30, 10.4.4.20 and I even tried to update / refresh my 10.4.4.25.
Only when I put 9.4.5.30 on the MicroSD I get an System Update notification. The others don't trigger that but yet all fails.

nanias

Feb 2, 2012
I am actually not using a microSD I am using the internal sd card memory, I don't know if that changes anything. And by the way I don't get the system update notification. Anyone could help us fellow members?!

cowhow

Mar 1, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
Posted by johnlgalt -

This was already posted elsewhere b/c it is how I rooted my JB 4 days ago. I think it was Praetorian or jrotsky who posted it.

I tried the same method with trying to revert 9.4.5.30 to 9.4.5.26 but that is a no go - only 10.4.4.16 will revert to 9.4.5.30

So, for those of us who are on 10.4.4.25 how do we revert to a NVflashable version? I'm unlocked but otherwise stock. But, in the event it isn't possible to revert to ICS what's the real world risk? I mean, I've flashed phones and other tablets countless times without bricking. I know that's always a possibility, but you have to almost try to brick a phone. I would think installing TWRP or CWM would present just as great, or greater, of a risk. Educate me, but don't flame me. Are there risks in flashing the TF700 I'm not aware of?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
It's not possible to flash back to NVflash version. Asus had sealed the hole when they released .30 ICS bootloader version.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

nanias

Feb 2, 2012
Hi guys just to let you know that I downgraded and rooted my device using the method mentioned here. What I did was downloaded the .30 ICS firmware unzipped (one time) and renamed as the OP mentioned, then I had one copy of this .zip file to my internal memory root and one to an external microSD root. I inserted the microSD on the slot and turned off the tab. Pressed the Vol down and Power button and entered RCK (stock BTW). It then displayed the working driod (no message displayed) and after the reboot I was on ICS (took some while though)!!!! I then downloaded the latest firmware, rooted using the guide on the all-in-one guide for TF700, installed OTA Rootkeeper, temporally unroot with rootkeeper installed the latest firmware, recovered root with Rootkeeper. And now I have a properly JB rooted device. Thanks xda members and all devs!

Last edited:

rocer

Feb 5, 2012
Cold Boot

I too was getting the exclamation mark and the dead droid. I read somewhere that doing a cold boot cleans useless clutter and makes the tablet run faster. Just for the heck of it I tried doing this downgrade after a cold boot and it worked for me.

To do a Cold Boot:
- Turn off Tablet
- Hold down Power and Volume Down button
- When you get to the menu DON'T select anything. In small font in the top left corner it says "OS will Cold Boot in 10 seconds if nothing is selected" or something like that :) So just wait longer than 10 seconds and let your device Cold Boot.
- After Cold Boot, turn off tablet and follow the OP.

Good luck.

davetwin

Feb 24, 2011
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
I tried to downgrade with the steps from first post but wasn't successfull with the latest firmware version .23
There is a simple way to downgrade anyway.

1. copy the firmware to the root folder of your internal memory
2. don't rename it, just leave the original name (for example "WW_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip")
3. reboot your device
4. you find a message for downgrading your firmware in the notification drawer

This is what worked for me, all other methods described in this thread resulted in the android with red exclamation mark.

TheReino

May 28, 2011
No root

Hello guys,

I just don't get it right. :crying: The Downgrade works but for me it is not possible to keep root after upgrading to jb.

I took the "WW_epad_user_9_4_5_30_20120907_UpdateLauncher.zip" and put it on my microSD. Renamed it to "EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip" and went into recovery. The downgrade process started und I was able to root the TF700 with the "RootDebugfs.bat" method.

After that I installed the SuperSU app, started it and made the recommended update. I even marked the checkbox ota survival in the superuser app. Aftewards I loaded and installed the Voodoo OTA root keeper and said "protect root".

All checkboxes were marked and I hit the button temp unroot.

Now I tried to start an OTA Update but it always said that there are no updates available. I cleared DMclient and CMclient data + force close but no change.

So I took the "WW_epaduser_VER104425UpdateLauncher.zip" Update and updated it to jb again with renaming to "EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip".
Recovery started. The update goes well but the OTA rootkeeper app is not able to restore root. -> No backup of su-binary available...

What am I doing wrong?!

Unlocking doesn't work either. Problem with internet connection, please try again later. Whats wrong with this tab?!

DarkFire1985

Feb 13, 2009
This is what worked for me, all other methods described in this thread resulted in the android with red exclamation mark.

Same here :)
Removed the MicroSD, placed the original .30 (not renamed) on the root of the TF700 and the downgrade got detected right away.
I accepted the downgrade and it succeeded (maybe because of the cold reset earlier).

Anyway I'm root again and now downloading the upgrade using the normal OTA.

Edit: upgraded to JB .25 and succesfully restored root.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.
    I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
    WARNING: This will wipe your data
    WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
    1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
    2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
    3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
    4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
    5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
    6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
    I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.
    Hi.
    I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
    WARNING: This will wipe your data
    WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
    1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
    2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
    3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
    4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
    5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
    6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
    I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.

Thanks, I might just try this.. the DPI really bugs me on JB!
    Thanks for you guide, I am waiting for my TF700T, but read a lot about rooting process without unlocking bootloader, so please tell me:
    What about root after your guide ?? Just use rooting instruction from here and use OTA rootKeeper and should work ??

Regards
    Doncieslacco

JB cannot currently be rooted, so you'll need to root 9.4.5.30 first, then use OTA rootkeeper to make a backup of root and enable OTA survival (I also enabled OTA survival in superuser), then apply the JB update, and finally use OTA rootkeeper to restore root.

Also, I would highly advise not installing any apps on it in ICS, b/c a lot of people are experiencing idiosyncrasies in JB that are fixed if you perform a factory reset - since your tablet will be brand new, a factory reset will be a lot less painful with no apps installed.

If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk
    If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

However that requires unlocking first,voiding your warranty.
    The file you get from Asus is a .zip file. Inside it is another .zip file. Unzip ONE TIME and rename the .zip file while it is on your PC. Then copy it to the sdcard. I used a sdcard reader connected to my PC to copy the file then popped it in the tablet.

when I tried to do it all on the tablet I got the same results. (it no workie)