[Q] Which Unlocked S5 model to buy for AT&T?

Search This thread
Dec 13, 2009
I hope I am not duplicating a thread that already exists.

I want to buy a Galaxy S5, but I don't want to buy the AT&T version.

I would prefer to buy an unlocked version that will work with AT&T's LTE.

I know there are various versions on the S5, but I'm just not certain which one is compatible with AT&T's network.

Thanks for any assistance.

xdm9mm

Dec 11, 2013
I have looked into this a few days back, and it seems the TMobile US version is the best. But if you can wait a little longer, the LG G3 is out which on paper, is better than the S5.

3gb RAM (there is a 2gb RAM version)
Quad HD display (4x than on the S5)
3000mAh battery (user changeable)
Built -in Qi wireless receiver and NFC on the REMOVABLE battery cover (this is by default, unlike crapsung that sells the Qi/NFC enabled battery cover, which makes the phone thicker, and very difficult to find a case that fits)

No Knox to worry about.

Last edited:
Reactions: DontBeAJulioFranco

damskyc

Oct 18, 2012
Hi, I have the Unlocked SM-G900M (Vodafone version) which works well with AT&T LTE Network (I have Straight Talk). You can root it easily and install most S5 custom ROMs.

Reactions: DontBeAJulioFranco

mediumsteak

Nov 25, 2010
Toronto ON
I would have to disagree and say that the international Snapdragon LTE version is the model you should get if you are planning to buy unlocked!

Why bother to be bogged down by bloatware and craptacular carrier customizations? Why endure long times for software updates?

On another note, I agree with what another guy mentioned, wait for the LG G3!

No, seriously, wait for the G3. Don't let us down.

damskyc

Oct 18, 2012
I would have to disagree and say that the international Snapdragon LTE version is the model you should get if you are planning to buy unlocked!

Why bother to be bogged down by bloatware and craptacular carrier customizations? Why endure long times for software updates?

But you would be wrong to go this way since the International LTE (SM-G900F) won't work on AT&T LTE Network. LTE Frequencies are different and would be able to get 3G only. The SM-G900M seems to be a good compromise since it allows both 'european' and AT&T frequencies. This is based on my researches, but it may not be totally true since I only tested the M version and AT&T LTE Network.

LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 - SM-G900F
LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 - SM-G900M
LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 - SM-G900A
LTE 700/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600 - SM-G900T

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php

AT&T only uses LTE on the 700 MHz (Band 17) and 1700/2100 MHz (Band 4) frequencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies#United_States

xdm9mm

Dec 11, 2013
But you would be wrong to go this way since the International LTE (SM-G900F) won't work on AT&T LTE Network. LTE Frequencies are different and would be able to get 3G only. The SM-G900M seems to be a good compromise since it allows both 'european' and AT&T frequencies. This is based on my researches, but it may not be totally true since I only tested the M version and AT&T LTE Network.

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies#United_States

That is why I said the Tmobile variant is the way to go. Look at your chart, it covers what the "M" version has and adds more...

luriert

May 24, 2011
New York City

Just curious but how do you know the AT&T G3 isn't going to have a locked bootloader? I'd be willing to bet it will have one.

Nice specs though

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

byte9

Oct 17, 2012
First Hand Answer

My entire day today was literally spent A)Selling 900A on Craigslist B)Buying 900T on Craigslist. I broke completely even, $500 sold for and bought for.

Anecdotes aside--

The 900T covers all bands (you can look at the Samsung spec pages if you want source) that the 900A does and just sings. I now have a slimmed down lady that just flies.

The 900T is without question the phone to go with, if ANYBODY says on any forums they are having issues it's software or APN configuration they did incorrectly. Mines perfect and rooted with that sexy unlocked boot loader. I think i'll be staying here for a while.

As for the LG G3 comments, definitely nice specs but i'm not able to f with a device without capacitive buttons. I'm not down with losing screen to OSD bottom buttons.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have looked into this a few days back, and it seems the TMobile US version is the best. But if you can wait a little longer, the LG G3 is out which on paper, is better than the S5.

3gb RAM (there is a 2gb RAM version)
    Quad HD display (4x than on the S5)
    3000mAh battery (user changeable)
    Built -in Qi wireless receiver and NFC on the REMOVABLE battery cover (this is by default, unlike crapsung that sells the Qi/NFC enabled battery cover, which makes the phone thicker, and very difficult to find a case that fits)

No Knox to worry about.
    Hi, I have the Unlocked SM-G900M (Vodafone version) which works well with AT&T LTE Network (I have Straight Talk). You can root it easily and install most S5 custom ROMs.